IT.COM

Register.com Con

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Last year I inherited the administration of a number of domains at the infamous register.con. Does anyone know if there is a way to avoid this outrageous $200 transfer con?! :yell:

Do the new ICANN rules address transfer fees like this that virtually prohibit registrants from moving domain names to another registrar?

A few names expiring and I refuse to renew through this registrar. If there is a way to get by this con, help appreciated. Thanks.

Register.com Con
Switch Your Domain Name to Register.com1
$35.00 - includes an additional year of registration
Transfer Your Domain Name to Another Person/Company2 $200.00
(http://www.register.com/pricing/index.cgi)

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
transfer your domains out of register.com

•••
That's the problem .... 200$ to do so !!!

Professer - I have had an account there from the old days - and just let them drop ! (Fee wasn't that high then though) - The only thing I can think of is - If the names are worth the cash is to try to Grab them on Drop day ~ :( Sorry - How many names are being held ?

•••
all4cost said:
How many names are being held ?
Held hostage: 6 >:(
Two expiring this year, four next year.

Perhaps we could organize a secret NP rescue mission for domains held hostage.

•••
What about this idea? Go ahead and charge the transfer on
your credit card. And after the transfer is completed, go
back to your credit card company and get the money refunded.
After all this transfer fee is nothin but extortion, and they dont
have a copy of your signature approving the transfer charge.

•••
Unfortunately, even "extorition"-level prices can be protected by legally binding contracts. I think a voided sale would also cancel a registrant's legal rights to the names. Catch 22.

•••
Isn't the $200 charge for a registrant name change, meaning to change
ownership? I wonder why register.com continues this when NetSol
dropped that long ago.

The new ICANN transfer rules now explicitly say that domain names do
have to be paid before being allowed to transfer out.

I don't see any other way out except to renew then try again but wait
for November 12 when the new transfer rules take effect. A silver lining,
though, may be that register.com will transfer the remaining term to the
new registrar.

dna, that's a risky idea, although it may work, depending on the card
issuer.

FYI, Clinton signed that e-signature law a few years back, making all those
check-the-box-beside-the-service agreement/terms and conditions legal.

•••
Professer said:

:laugh: Not a funny situation - But a funny idea ....

Operation Save the Names Commence ~ :talk:

It really is a shame that a Supposed "Reputable" company would go to these extents to keep Customers -

If the names are good - They may not necessarily let them drop / If I am reading Icann's current "Rules" correctly ....

Just plain Sux ......

•••
I think you can transfer them into another registrar. Just use your resellers account to create an account with the same registrant info, and try a transfer.

•••
I too think you can transfer them out. I believe the charge is for changing the registrant info at register.com.

Pay the transfer fee and get out of there.

If you only had one domain there you could give the whole account away to the buyer passwords and all.

•••
dna said:

^^ Nooo ... not recommended. :o
IMHO.

theparrot said:
I think you can transfer them into another registrar. Just use your resellers account to create an account with the same registrant info, and try a transfer.

^ Rightio.
I "pulled" all of mine from Register.com to my Enom $8.95 account ... easy as pie, and cost me only $8.95/per domain name. All you need is access to the current E-mail address (yours, anyway) of the domain(s) currently residing (in your account) at Register.com!
These take anywhere from 24 - 72 hours to complete, in my experience. :tu:
Then, later, if / when you sell them ... easy Enom "push" to the Buyer(s).
All the best!
-Jeff :wave:

•••
•••
all4cost said:
Good to know ~~~~

Woop! :tu:
PS. If anyone needs any assistance with these "pulls" from Register.com / NameBargain.com ... please open a new "PTS" thread for me here on the site and I will offer to assist to the best of my abilities. I had many domains there at one point in time, I have none there now ... via the above post / method(s).

Have a great domain name week! :)
-Jeff :wave:

•••
I had a similiar issue with a name with those morons, I transferred to RegisterFly and it only cost 6.00
to get out of register.com hell

•••
Thanks for the comments here. I have initiated a transfer and am waiting for word from register.com to see how they will respond.

•••
Professer said:
Thanks for the comments here. I have initiated a transfer and am waiting for word from register.com to see how they will respond.

Look for E-mail's now at your existing Whois E-mail address (for the domain name currently at Register.com)! :talk:
The first one will be from the receiving Registrar - Enom whathaveyou - asking for an approval of the "pull" in, the second one will be from Register.com to "confirm" deletion of the domain from their servers (and your account there).
Again, mine were all fairly smooth and pain-free, believe it or not.
Best!
B-)

•••
I must have missed that

Which is probably why I never did register any of my domains with them. I use www.registerfly.com or even www.tlddirect.com (the latter I preffer as they are more flexible on bulk pricing).

But 200 is a con and at this stage, i would recomend that you stick and keep it there unless you have a wad of cash that you can spare.

This serves notice that one must do his homework well in advance before jumping on the first best offer. register.com is by no means cheap at even 35 bucks to reg a name and their so called value additions to the name are normal offerings you will find anywhere.

Do you want a Merc or a Toyota - both perform the same but one is nicer than the other. At Register.com you are paying for the name as well (brand).

That's my take.

•••
I heard about this $200 fee before in the past but I bought a domain that was registered there and transferred out with no problems. All I did was accept the transfer agreement that was sent to the admin contact.

•••
Professer said:

Agree, this is bad!!.

www.register.com bad and unprofessional company!

•••
dna said:

Nice idea

•••
Just read the post (bit slow today) and YUP, Jeff is on the money... tried same thing myself a while back and :bingo:.

Now I didnt know at the time that maybe it was the fire exit we just left by but hey.... It worked.

incidentally, my friend knows someone at register.com and he says the charge is because of the exodus of domains that were being transferred out of them a while back to godaddy / enom etc and they can justify it for all the admin time it took up (and obviously to slow the drain away from them). He also says that this migration has slowed in recent times and register are now chilling a little with regard this charge. He says they know all about the 'pull in' requests and they are cool about it.

GL Prof.

Ian

•••
Register.com == Der Devil.

I will admit through when I get lazy I use their whois tool lol.

•••
No word yet on any pull request from register.com. Hopefully, the transfer will move forward soon and I can transfer out all of my inherited domains to a non.con registrar!

•••
I have a domain in Namebargain for 2 years...cant transfer it!
I tried 3 times...They never get back to you.
I hope someday they'll get a kick in their ass...

•••
Update: Register.con phone service!

I'd like to write that this is unbelievable but it seems to be part of the ongoing con. I just received a phone call! from some phone bank claiming to be register.com offering me a very "special rate" of $29.95 to renew one of my domain names. When I explained how ridiculous that rate was, the caller informed me that many of their customers appreciated their rates and service.

I wished him well. D-:

What do you think, any chance in seeing these names transferred to a new registrar?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back