Dynadot

Rebel.com opinions?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

TravisS

The Duke of YorkEstablished Member
Impact
Their deals on transfers are certainly enticing. I maxed out a couple of theirs around the beginning of last year. It was a nightmare to get it done, to put it plainly. Mostly my fault on waiting till the last minute with a few, yada, yada. Support did come through, and were great to work with. It turned all for the better.

But....

any one else get the feeling that maybe their names aren't that secure(~dramatically speaking)? I understand business is business, but 2 factor authentication or lack there of. Which, while a problem in itself, is a bit compounded by the fact that support has clearly received the message per their forums, but ownership protection and expiry protection, etc. which is a nice up sale of a product group seem to be fairly decent selling points on their behalf. All a little convoluted. And I might bite on it...if it wasn't ~$18 or ~$19, etc., per year/PER DOMAIN. Yikes. Why not just a flat fee? I held off on transferring names to them, not saying that my business even matters, but...a little leery you could say. And in their backend/interface, control panel, whatever you wanna call it, it drives me nuts haha. I feel like 1 misclick, and I'll be signed up for something different. It's a mine field lol. Still like you guys thus far (if anyone from rebel is reading ;) lol), just curious on opinions. For the most part, indifferent I suppose. Not enough experience, to make a judgement call.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I requested them (long ago) to add 2 factor authentication but it's not in their priority.

Their support is very quick during their day time but not 24 / 7.

•••
I requested them (long ago) to add 2 factor authentication but it's not in their priority.

Their support is very quick during their day time but not 24 / 7.

They do have good support. And I honestly may be referencing your forum post along with another per the 2 factor auth. It's something I think that is relatively important. I think you get more bees w/ honey. Granted, you get more from hosting, packages, etc., etc. But, if your going to throw us some low pricing transfers for us to splurge on, keep there, renew, etc., etc. Toss in some 2 factor basically. The pricing scheme on the rest package-wise, just makes me feel uneasy about it. Last time I logged in I got an error message "names at risk of being deleted". Gave me enough of a scare.

•••
they been around for long time under another time form I hear.
they seem solid to me. I do not think they are the type of place that you can just wake up one day and find an "out of biz, sorry your domains are gone" message on their site.

so I think that can be put to rest. however, regarding security of domains in temrs of authentications etc.. well.. that could well be another story cause you will alays have better and worse sites in terms of security. perhpas if I had, which I don't, very valuable domains, I'd want them elsewhere too. it may all depend on what you own, and then find the secutity levels that suit you best.

•••
they been around for long time under another time form I hear.
they seem solid to me. I do not think they are the type of place that you can just wake up one day and find an "out of biz, sorry your domains are gone" message on their site.

so I think that can be put to rest. however, regarding security of domains in temrs of authentications etc.. well.. that could well be another story cause you will alays have better and worse sites in terms of security. perhpas if I had, which I don't, very valuable domains, I'd want them elsewhere too. it may all depend on what you own, and then find the secutity levels that suit you best.

The purpose of the argument wasn't necessarily meant to dramatize as "these names are gone" type-deal, but I know what you mean . But I do disagree with the above. 2 factor auth is fairly standard among any of the more major and even minor registrars. It's not necessarily ~fort knox security here. There's multiple ways it can be done. Something as simple as a code sent to another email to be retrieved. To each is own I suppose.

•••
Their deals on transfers are certainly enticing. I maxed out a couple of theirs around the beginning of last year. It was a nightmare to get it done, to put it plainly. Mostly my fault on waiting till the last minute with a few, yada, yada. Support did come through, and were great to work with. It turned all for the better.

But....

any one else get the feeling that maybe their names aren't that secure(~dramatically speaking)? I understand business is business, but 2 factor authentication or lack there of. Which, while a problem in itself, is a bit compounded by the fact that support has clearly received the message per their forums, but etc. which is a nice up sale of a product group seem to be fairly decent selling points on their behalf. All a little convoluted. And I might bite on it...if it wasn't ~$18 or ~$19, etc., per year/PER DOMAIN. Yikes. Why not just a flat fee? I held off on transferring names to them, not saying that my business even matters, but...a little leery you could say. And in their backend/interface, control panel, whatever you wanna call it, it drives me nuts haha. I feel like 1 misclick, and I'll be signed up for something different. It's a mine field lol. Still like you guys thus far (if anyone from rebel is reading ;) lol), just curious on opinions. For the most part, indifferent I suppose. Not enough experience, to make a judgement call.

Hey Travis,

I'm the product manager at Rebel.com. I would love to address some of your concerns.

Security:
Rebel has been an accredited registrar since 2006 (our group also owns pool.com). Rest assured we understand the domain name industry and take domain ownership seriously. Two factor authentication is definitely a priority for us. Expect it in the near future.

Pricing:
Our pricing is not designed to be misleading. We have no interest in confusing customers into a back loaded domain contracts. Our primary objective as a registrar, as a company, is to help our customers get online. We work hard to remove barriers that may stand in our customers way. We found that price reductions remove the risk from taking that shot... getting online. We stand by our services. If for any reason your are not satisfied, please call in. We'd love to chat.

Domain Manager:
I can understand how the interface for some of our users is a bit unwieldy at times. We hope that our customers find success online and by positioning our services in an easy to find, centralized location we hope to accelerate that success by allowing our customers to focus on what really matters, their brand, their ideas, their voices. Of course, we love to iterate and improve. I would love more feedback on this. Feel free to PM me or reply here.

Lastly, we do have some custom solutions for larger portfolios, including flat domain rates and modified domain manager views. We definitely want to work with you to get you the experience you're looking for. I can get you connected to an account rep for a quick chat if you would like. I also totally understand if you just want to feel us out in the meantime. At the very least, if you're ever in Ottawa, beers on us!

Steve

•••
Hey Travis,

I'm the product manager at Rebel.com. I would love to address some of your concerns.

Security:
Rebel has been an accredited registrar since 2006 (our group also owns pool.com). Rest assured we understand the domain name industry and take domain ownership seriously. Two factor authentication is definitely a priority for us. Expect it in the near future.

Pricing:
Our pricing is not designed to be misleading. We have no interest in confusing customers into a back loaded domain contracts. Our primary objective as a registrar, as a company, is to help our customers get online. We work hard to remove barriers that may stand in our customers way. We found that price reductions remove the risk from taking that shot... getting online. We stand by our services. If for any reason your are not satisfied, please call in. We'd love to chat.

Domain Manager:
I can understand how the interface for some of our users is a bit unwieldy at times. We hope that our customers find success online and by positioning our services in an easy to find, centralized location we hope to accelerate that success by allowing our customers to focus on what really matters, their brand, their ideas, their voices. Of course, we love to iterate and improve. I would love more feedback on this. Feel free to PM me or reply here.

Lastly, we do have some custom solutions for larger portfolios, including flat domain rates and modified domain manager views. We definitely want to work with you to get you the experience you're looking for. I can get you connected to an account rep for a quick chat if you would like. I also totally understand if you just want to feel us out in the meantime. At the very least, if you're ever in Ottawa, beers on us!

Steve

•••
Hey Steve, I meant to write up a more detailed response, but alas, I'm not much of a fan of forums on phones so responding now.

Appreciate the above response. I've seen you or other Rebel reps floating around so I figured it'd be only a matter of time to have a response from one. I have experience with the majority of registrars, but again, I didn't know of you guys until fairly recently. I love the name "Rebel(.com)", so I was overly surprised I hadn't. There's quite a bit of content on here and elsewhere regarding those registrars, just not a whole lot on rebel, so I thought I'd take the initiative. Looks like you guys did a bit of a redesign not too long ago.

Looking through my email, looks like I worked with an Adam on your support team. All around great experience. Super professional, friendly, etc. The fault didn't lay with you guys the first time around w/ transfers, but my own (waited a little too long) and frankly, godaddy not processing the orders as timely as they should have been, at least from what I was told. Although I'd have to assume you guys were overloaded as well. I was stuck in a week+ whois verification; but Adam had resolved all of it for me after I hopped on the phone and email and got it all done.

With all that said, are there any plans underway for 2 factor authentication? I realize some updates take priority over the others, just curious.

Again, appreciate the response. Always refreshing to see company reps take the time for their customers on forums. Thanks

•••
Although things have a tendency to change, we should have it in the product within the next quarter.

•••
Hi all,

I am about to make an account on Rebel.com and transfer couple of my domains. Just wanted to confirm if their services are safe and O.K. for us domainers? Anyone ever faced any issue (even minor) with Rebel.com?

Would appreciate any help as I am planning to transfer domains today.

•••
Hi all,

I am about to make an account on Rebel.com and transfer couple of my domains. Just wanted to confirm if their services are safe and O.K. for us domainers? Anyone ever faced any issue (even minor) with Rebel.com?

Would appreciate any help as I am planning to transfer domains today.

I have tried transferring some ... but none has processed perfectly

Might be some issue with them , but i have some domains registered at them and they seems to be promising

•••

Might be some issue with them , but i have some domains registered at them and they seems to be promising

Thanks for the info.

When did you initiated the transfer, and did you contact their support to identify the issue why your domains weren't transferred to them?

•••
Also, how is their support department and how quickly do they resolve issues and whatnot?

•••

Hi sophia,

Can you PM me with some of the details? I can help get it resolved.

•••
Hey everyone, not sure if you guys deal in the .CA space. We are running a campaign for $1.99 .ca's until June 6 (max 10). Head over to the site if you're interested.

•••
I just got email 2 free .ca eh
Thanks!
No complaints about rebel so far and i have used chat and phone
I am doing another $4 transfer there shortly

•••
all good here too! been a year!
love the transfer savings.
hope they keep them coming in future

will try the 2 free .ca today!

tnx Rebel. you kick it.

•••
I just got email 2 free .ca eh
Thanks!
No complaints about rebel so far and i have used chat and phone
I am doing another $4 transfer there shortly
I was chatting with their Rep. yesterday and she also told me that they are running a .ca promo for limited time, 2 .ca for free.

But only Canadian residents can buy these domains; right!

•••
Yes there are requirements to register .ca.
www.cira.ca

•••
@SheikhOvais We also have .xyz domains for $0.02 + icann fees today. Pretty close to free.

•••

I'd say to ensure your domains are unlocked and you have the correct authorization codes in place before processing anything. 2x, 3x, check before you do anything because it will hang you up. It happened to me on my first bulk transfer to them. The only resolve was contacting support via phone, than over to email to smooth everything out Great support, handled it timely. Always nice to avoid support though. Now whether it the influx of processing that rebel needed to handle, or the other registrar just putting up a fight with info updates, couldn't say.

Also, how is their support department and how quickly do they resolve issues and whatnot?

I think they have a good support team. But when it comes to support, I'd rather have em' and not need them. But I've only needed them once. It's been good thus far, and it's been a ~year. I wouldn't hesitate to give them a try.

•••
I bought xyz there yester. It showed inavailable at namecheap.
Later i clicked add privacy to see price, got an invoice, no checkout or nothing. Beware there. I sent an email last night to cancel it, see what they say but they should have a checkout for each purchase.
I did 3 transfers at 3.99 and it wont let me do another.
Time to find 2 free .ca now..

•••
Rebel had actually replied to my email within the hour, it was in spam.

Their reply

" Hello

Thank you for contacting Rebel.com it is our pleasure to assist.

I am sorry to hear you ordered privacy that you did not want.
The price is listed in the domain manager when you click on the domain to see the optional features and edit screen (see attached) if you do not want it please toggle it off from the domain manager and then let us know and we will be happy to refund this for you."

That's a positive :)

•••
9pm pacific time is midnight eastern time zone, so .02 cents xyz is over it is showing $2.61 cdn $

I am hoping to do two $3.99 transfers to them and they can deduct $7.95 from total and invoice me the difference. Drafting email now, I have put the names and codes in my cart

•••
I was contacted by Steve, and my 2 transfers @ $4.99 canadian are complete.
I sent email at 9;40pm about refund for privacy, and I had a reply in 45 minutes, didnt notice it was in spam
Very happy with service, most of my inquiries via email have been answered withing the hour and my one experience with chat was excellent.
It's official I have more names at Rebel than Goodaddy

Thanks @Steve Dufresne

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back