Re: Brandable discussion on NamePros

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

equity78

Top Member
TheDomains Staff
TLDInvestors.com
Impact
Eric and I have been speaking for the last day about this thread with way too many reports, way too many complaints. Amanda and Eric and I have had to spend a lot of time deleting posts then going back and finding the initial post that sparked the reply. I don't like seeing any of these posts deleted because I think the conversation and back and forth has been good. IMO the time @hookbox took to verify sales should never be something reported. I suggested changing the title to all things BrandBucket and Eric rightfully so pointed out this is in the review section and should be about reviews only.

This thread is to be about posting a personal experience with BrandBucket. that experience can be good or bad. Reporting posts that discuss a negative experience will be rejected. Posting something in here about another members portfolio that they did not ask to have discussed will be moved or deleted.

Sales analysis, keyword breakdowns, DNBolt, etc... Should now be posted in Niche Discussion. I had suggested that Brandables, all brandables not just BB, have their own discussion area, but Eric pointed out that you need to have 150 or so independent threads first. So if the discussion gets going we will eventually have that designated area like Numeric and Chinese discussion.

You can speak as much as you like just do it in Niche discussion, start the conversation on the brandable topics you think are important.

Thank you

Update from Eric
:

Last edited by a moderator:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
@equity78 how is analysing the sales not also a review? Just trying to better understand what should and shouldn't go here...

•••
I see a couple things got deleted
@equity78 how is analysing the sales not also a review? Just trying to better understand what should and shouldn't go here...

Sure a sale that someone reports here, for example JimJammy says I sold x/y/z/x/y/z dot com for $2,000 feel free to comment. If you did your own research or found it on TLDinvestors or DNBolt start a thread in Niche Discussion.

I want to make clear this is a Namepros rule that I took the time to write out to save Eric the hassle. I don't make policy decisions here, Eric has always been good to hear my input and allow me to make suggestions. I am always straight forward if I disagree I have no problems telling someone if they are paying me, being a mod here is an unpaid job so there is no reason not to give an honest opinion. I had a different thought than Eric, he explained to me why he thought what he thought and it made sense. So I looked to come up with another solution for Brandable discussion, to be like Numeric and Chinese discussion, which by the way those sections came about from discussions between Eric and I working on those topics. He explained that for a Brandable discussion there needs to have 150 individual threads going. We only have about 20, they have all been moved to Niche Discussion now.

And mods have not deleted anything in this entire thread by themselves, just looking for posts to delete, they all get reported. Monday and Tuesday there were probably over 100 reported. Some rejected and some were moved, some where Eric and I saw differently.

If someone needs to know my BrandBucket experience, my first post here was #46

Margot first off welcome, secondly I would like to hear the reason for exclusivity ? This will certainly lower the amount of domains on your site (which is not necessarily a negative) because many want as much exposure as possible. I mean you have a nice boutique but certainly do not have the reach of a Go Daddy as far as getting eyeballs, so is it all about the logo and visual appeal to the buyer ?

equity78, May 29, 2013
#46 + Quote Reply

I questioned exclusivity from the get go, I interviewed Margot in 2013 when this thread was 5 months old.

I never listed a domain on BrandBucket until this year and that was 1 name, based off their newsletter the sector seemed to be popular. That was my one name, I have sold BrandBucket type names for the last decade so I have never felt I needed BrandBucket for anything, I write about the Brandable space a lot, so I thought you probably should go through and publish a name or two. I have had good conversations by email with Margot, she always answered every question and where I disagreed I said I don't like that policy.

I don't know Michael Krell, never met or spoke with, I have read his stuff and watched his experience on BrandBucket, I think he is a good guy, I could be wrong, I am not staking him out. I hope everybody sells their names, Michael seems to have a lot of success. I asked him for an interview he kindly replied.

Last month I purchased a 28 domain portfolio from NP member Beezy, I plan on moving some of those names off BrandBucket abiding by the 30 day rule, they are names I like I can sell to my own customers and would never give anyone 30% for unless they are lucky enough to sell in the 30 day window which I cannot control.

No one at BrandBucket is a friend, an advertiser on any publication that I write for, own or manage. I would like to see them become an advertiser if we want to keep it real. I think they should advertise in the domain space but it is not my company and that is their business.

So there is my BrandBucket experience.

•••
This post is for clarification because I'm a bit lost here. Therefore, I'd like to ask before hand that an infraction not be given @Eric Lyon .

I tried catching up. From what I understood, this particular thread is a review thread. If it's not a review, then it's not for this thread. That was clear.

I'm lost about the 'new address' of the discussion that's been going down on this thread. Should a new thread be started in the 'Niche Section'? Should the discussion continue on a thread that's already in the Niche Section? Sorry, I didn't get it.

But I did learn a few things from the previous discussion and would like to be clear about where I can continue to learn. Thanks.

•••
This post is for clarification because I'm a bit lost here. Therefore, I'd like to ask before hand that an infraction not be given @Eric Lyon .

I tried catching up. From what I understood, this particular thread is a review thread. If it's not a review, then it's not for this thread. That was clear.

I'm lost about the 'new address' of the discussion that's been going down on this thread. Should a new thread be started in the 'Niche Section'? Should the discussion continue on a thread that's already in the Niche Section? Sorry, I didn't get it.

But I did learn a few things from the previous discussion and would like to be clear about where I can continue to learn. Thanks.

Everything is where it should be Candace, if you are posting in this thread it should be about your experience with BrandBucket or asking another member about their experience. No mention of Michael Krell's sales, DNBolt or other brandable websites.

Other discussions like rejects, DNBolt sales analysis are in Niche Discussion.

•••
Update: I went ahead and created a Brandable Domain Discussion area to facilitate discussion and organization of brandable domain topics. Be sure to subscribe to the new forum ("Watch Forum") to receive alerts of new discussions.

Please note: The new forum is not for discussing or debating about specific marketplaces or companies; use Reviews for that.

I hope this will help keep everything a bit more organized. Big thanks to Raymond for always making great suggestions and helping us improve.

•••
@equity78

If I want to start a thread to discuss Brandbucket in general, including its service, rules etc, excluding reviews, where should I start that thread?

Just saw Eric's post. Great idea with new area. Thanks.

•••
If I want to start a thread to discuss Brandbucket in general, including its service, rules etc, excluding reviews, where should I start that thread?
Discussing its rules and service belong under Reviews. Anything that is related to feedback, opinion, feelings, or thoughts on a company or how they are operating is best placed in the Reviews forum.

•••
Discussing its rules and service belong under Reviews. Anything that is related to feedback, opinion, feelings, or thoughts on a company or how they are operating is best placed in the Reviews forum.

Thank you! I got an impression that only actual service received from BB would qualify for that. In these thread it was referenced few times that if you are not a seller/buyer there and/or you are not writing specifically about that, you should not post here.

Do I understand correctly that opinions on BB insider preferences, analytics/stats manipulations, rules, pricing etc. can/should be discussed here?

•••
Do I understand correctly that opinions on BB insider preferences, analytics/stats manipulations, rules, pricing etc. can/should be discussed here?
In the Reviews forum, yes. However, it cannot be discussed in a thread titled "Experience" unless you actually have an experience with the company and have experienced issues with those things yourself.

If you do not have an experience but would still like to review a company's policies or rules, you may do so in the Reviews forum but you'll need to find a thread that allows it or create your own. In this scenario, you're making a review about their current policies and suggesting how it could/should be improved, which is a very constructive and helpful review.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

•••
Here are some other things I've written to members inquiring about this:

We are not using "Reviews" in the traditional sense of a site that has a Reviews section underneath a product. We are using it as a discussion forum that is for reviews:
  • Reviews can be of one's own experiences (which is required in the "BrandBucket Experience" thread, since that's what the thread creator wanted).
  • Reviews can also be of an analysis of another company and how they're operating, even if you've never used them before.
We're sticking to the definition of "review" which is to look over something and examine it, and then provide comments on it.
Then on top of that, we allow discussion/debates about reviews because we're a forum after all and forums are for discussion. But we still want things to stay on topic:
  • If someone leaves a bad review and others want to debate/argue about that bad review, then that's okay because it's on-topic discussion.
  • However, if someone leaves a bad review for company A in a thread about company A but then people start talking about company B, then those posts about company B need to be moved or removed, because they're not on topic for that particular thread.

If there are any other scenarios that I haven't covered yet, please post them here. Thanks for bearing with us as we provide clarification.

•••
The 'BrandBucket Experience' sounds more like "Your BrandBucket Experience" , and the 'reviews' thing confused me a little because 'reviews' give the idea of someone who has used a product and is now writing a review on it imo.

Some of the discussions are more like 'Feelings' or 'Opinions' or 'Thoughts' or 'Views', but not reviews.
Maybe it's just me, but I feel like the wording is a little confusing.

•••
The 'BrandBucket Experience' sounds more like "Your BrandBucket Experience" , and the 'reviews' thing confused me a little because 'reviews' give the idea of someone who has used a product and is now writing a review on it imo.

Some of the discussions are more like 'Feelings' or 'Opinions' or 'Thoughts' or 'Views', but not reviews.
That is exactly what I said. I believe there is a big difference between a review and an experience. The original poster asked for Experiences not Reviews and that is why I am confused now that things seem like they have changed. A review is a point blank nothing more nothing less. A equals A and B equals B and don't talk about anything past that. An experience has feelings and emotions tied to it and that is why the thread gets out of hand sometimes because we are all very passionate about the subject.

Eric told me a review can't exist without an experience. Whether I agree with that or not it doesn't really matter at this point. I guess I'll just keep my mouth half zipped for right now and go with the flow.

Eric: this post is not to start a fight. I am just giving my thoughts. I feel like now I have to leave a disclaimer before I say anything.

•••
Eric: this post is not to start a fight. I am just giving my thoughts. I feel like now I have to leave a disclaimer before I say anything.
This is a feedback thread where your comments and thoughts are appreciated. No disclaimer necessary. ;)

For our purposes, we are grouping them all together because it all fits the dictionary definition of a review. I understand why it's a bit confusing, and that's why I've tried to explain everything in this thread. Please let me know if I can clarify anything.

An experience has feelings and emotions tied to it and that is why the thread gets out of hand sometimes because we are all very passionate about the subject.
Agreed, and that's perfectly fine as long as it stays on topic and you have had an experience.

If there are any specific examples that I can help go over to add further clarification, please provide them and I'll respond.

Thanks. :)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back