IT.COM

new gtlds Pull up your sleeves, you new G's

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

HotKey

Made in CanadaTop Member
Impact
For the 3rd time in 6 months, watching the ol' tee-vee and wouldn't you know, on comes a Go Daddy commercial, with surprise surprise, promoting .guesswhatyesdot-com

I have yet to see another registrar or registry produce something like this for new G's, or anything for that matter.

So essentially, what we have here, is the maximum exposure on prime time television. 3 times in 6 months. Resulting in Mom and Pop knowing only three things:

- to buy a domain
- and there is only one extension
- all at one registrar

GD.

Soo, what the heck is every other registry and registrar doing to combat this monopolization? Nothing. No sleeves being pulled up, nothing being invested in main-stream television advertising by them.

I mean, comeon, get to work people. Investors pulling up our sleeves, but we seem to be the only ones. We have limited resources in educating the masses. To generate mass appeal on new products, we need exposure from the source, or even places like talk shows. Eg. Ellen or Jimmy Fallon. Else we're looking at a 50 year adoption rate. I mean slow and steady winds the race, but that slow??

When you have prime-time exposure, you don't have to worry about the distractors sitting around in circles singing kum ba yah and moaning and groaning how the non-coms don't get traffic, there's no comparables and oh no they are soo confusing. We don't need this mantra as new G investors. I would prefer if you're not willing to be educated, at the very least offer something constructive that improves to what we're building.

I realize Verisign is pooping cash, which helps them inject funds to, well, help them poop more cash, but surely the people who run new extensions had more than just the initial capital of 180k to acquire the new G?

They can't make something on the magnitude of a domain extension and expect people to just know about it. Particularly when up against an almost 40 year old behemoth.

So what's the problem? Are there vested interests that are attempting to bury new adoption? Or are these new registries really that cash-strapped? Whatever it is, looks like it continues to be up to us to roll up our sleeves and plug on. But until more excitement is generated, my weight will be on current stock rather than new acquisitions.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
JB, so what is your motivation, the green one, or the orange one? I am just really curious and would appreciate short and truthful answer from you :)

Sorry, but your tactic of setting up only (2) options is nonsense.
That is called a false dichotomy.

I could just as easily try to pigeonhole GTLD proponents into the same box.

Brad

•••
Sorry, but your tactic of setting up only (2) options is nonsense.
That is called a false dichotomy.

I could just as easily try to pigeonhole GTLD proponents into the same box.

Brad
I am not offended Brad, it is absolutely fine :) ...I am fully aware that green is one end of the spectrum (true believe, altruism to help others), while orange is another end of spectrum (self interest, often hidden).

I think many people are combination of both. But if you say those 2 categories are not enough for you, may I respectfuly ask you this:

When you post, do you do it because of green, or orange, or do you have some other, third type of motivation why to post? If other, can you explain more about it ? Thank you for your genuine answer - I am really curious & as I have never ask you this before. .

•••
I am not offended Brad, it is absolutely fine :) ...I am fully aware that green is one end of the spectrum (true believe, altruism to help others), while orange is another end of spectrum (self interest, often hidden).

I think many people are combination of both. But if you say those 2 categories are not enough for you, may I respectfuly ask you this:

When you post, do you do it because of green, or orange, or do you have some other, third type of motivation why to post? If other, can you explain more about it ? Thank you for your genuine answer - I am really curious & as I have never ask you this before. .

I think you are making a bit of a mistake by assuming everyone has some self-centered motivation.
Many people are not just governed by "how does this effect me", while others might be.

Actual debate can not usually be dumbed down to only 2 options.

There are plenty of things I have interest in that I am not personally investing in at the moment.
I mean why would I invest in something that I don't think is a good investment?

I have included much analysis of why I think it is a bad investment, so it is clearly something I have thought about.

People can invest in what they want. I don't care. However, if I see some totally outlandish marketing spin I might respond. I am not trying to protect anyone; I just don't like BS.

If you are interested in art, collectibles, crypto, whatever you might be interested in a discussion even if you are not interested in a specific investment.

Brad

•••
I think you are making a bit of a mistake by assuming everyone has some self-centered motivation.
Many people are not just governed by "how does this effect me", while others might be.

Actual debate can not usually be dumbed down to only 2 options.

There are plenty of things I have interest in that I am not personally investing in at the moment.
I mean why would I invest in something that I don't think is a good investment?

I have included much analysis of why I think it is a bad investment, so it is clearly something I have thought about.

People can invest in what they want. I don't care. However, if I see some totally outlandish marketing spin I might respond. I am not trying to protect anyone; I just don't like BS.

If you are interested in art, collectibles, crypto, whatever you might be interested in a discussion even if you are not interested in a specific investment.

Brad
Thanks for clarifying more Brad. Well, from what you wrote it is more shifted to green option - and I respect people who do it from altruistic reasons (to have good debate or to educate others), and are not affected by orange option.

Well, I admit I probably might be little sceptical when it comes to human nature : I think "how does this effect me" is primary motivation in almost all of human behaviour. When I was young, I used to listen what people say....but in this stage of life I already learned to give only partial weight to what they say...I am in parallel always looking for various kind of incentives, obvious and hidden, as for why they say it, which gives me much better picture of what is going on.

And when I see what domainers are saying (or reporting in terms of sales, offers, etc), I am 10 times as careful... we are a special sort of people where everyone wants to ourtsmart the other party. That is also why I like it here so much, to debate with clever people :)

•••
Thanks for clarifying more Brad. Well, from what you wrote it is more shifted to green option - and I respect people who do it from altruistic reasons (to have good debate or to educate others), and are not affected by orange option.

Well, I admit I probably might be little sceptical when it comes to human nature : I think "how does this effect me" is primary motivation in almost all of human behaviour. When I was young, I used to listen what people say....but in this stage of life I already learned to give only partial weight to what they say...I am in parallel always looking for various kind of incentives, obvious and hidden, as for why they say it, which gives me much better picture of what is going on.

And when I see what domainers are saying (or reporting in terms of sales, offers, etc), I am 10 times as careful... we are a special sort of people where everyone wants to ourtsmart the other party. That is also why I like it here so much, to debate with clever people :)
"Cleverness isn’t always true nor is the truth always clever" :xf.smile:

•••
a thriving aftermarket is not always an indication, by any means, of quality stock. I believe people get to the point of desperation, and believe they have no other options, because the options aren't being presented to them. Only the savvy know where to turn, or how to properly filter results to weed things out. We get stuck in robot mode, doing the same searches, the same way, time after time.

More excuses. Look at what sells and learn from it, it isn't new tlds. Time to wake up and smell the roses!

•••
I will point out any legit forum software comes with an ignore feature. Every one of us probably annoys somebody else/many people. That option takes care of that.

Is there a function that allows us to ignore the naysayers only for the 10% of the time that they are on the New gTLD threads :)

I mean we value and respect the opinions of members like you, Kate, and Brad as old time VIPs in other threads.

•••
Is there a function that allows us to ignore the naysayers only for the 10% of the time that they are on the New gTLD threads :)

I mean we value and respect the opinions of members like you, Kate, and Brad as old time VIPs in other threads.

When you have only one side, aka an echo chamber, it turns into a ghost town like gtld(dot)link.

You need varying view points to have an active discussion.

Brad

•••
@brad, looks like you put lolwarrior's name by mistake when quoting my comment. :)

Lets discuss the risks ( or rewards) associated with New gTLDs, but to write them off completely is not engaging in constructive debate. IMO

•••
JB, so what is your motivation, the green one, or the orange one? I am just really curious and would appreciate short and truthful answer from you :)

First, I have no idea what green/orange means.

Then, this isn't the first time that angle is being used. Must be some motivation/agenda kind of thing.

So let's play that scenario out. Do you think I have some agenda for those buying new gtlds to stop and buy .coms? Here's what would happen. You would start buying .coms from the same places I do, which would just result in higher prices for me or losing out on domains. We would be in the same auctions bidding each other up. It's actually in my best interest to steer everybody away from .com. My target audience doesn't even reside in this forum, I haven't bought or sold domains here in years.

So back to agenda. Let me start off by saying, I'm really am not trying to hurt your business or anybody elses. While we may disagree on topics here, I really do wish people success. I think the world is better off with financially secure people in it. However, you keep bringing this stuff up, so you're asking be to bring up reality.

.com doesn't need any help
new gtlds need all the help they can get

You are 100% invested in new gtlds, you start lots of threads on them.

You have a financial interest in this. I'm not selling any ebooks, evaluations etc. I'm only interested in buying and selling domains.

You sell price lists for $99. You sell appraisals for $499.

And again, when it comes to renewal time, it's very easy for me. Renewals are $8.47. I look at it, can I make more than $8.47? If yes, renew, simple stuff. If you can't even figure out what to renew, you surely shouldn't be giving $499 appraisals. This goes back to you asking for help on what to renew.

Now which looks like motivation or agenda to you?

And new gtlds are part of domaining. This is part of what I do for a living, nowadays mostly, with some affiliate marketing on the side. My agenda is less nonsense/crazy stuff.

That would be nice. Do you know Megan Fox has thumbs that look like toes, and they have to use a thumb double when they do close ups. It's just how life goes sometimes.

3324l.jpg

Last edited:
•••
I had given you all the benefit of the doubt as VIPs, unfortunately now I see that I was mistaken. It's now very clear that you guys are here to create distractions rather than educate anyone. IMO

•••
We all know answer for this one. There are 2 possible explanations:

Official answer: "because we are going to protect all those new domainers from loosing money on those bad bad new extensions..we are good people and have been around for a long time, so we do care about you ... it is just our pure altruism"

Alternative answer: "I really hate all those new extensions, WTF!!! I was building my ******* portfolio for 15 years patiently, so much energy into this, and now all those new stupid extensions in my way....grrrrrr "
THEY ARE ENVIOUS...OF THE PROFITS..
Green with envy

•••
I had given you all the benefit of the doubt as VIPs, unfortunately now I see that I was mistaken. It's now very clear that you guys are here to create distractions rather than educate anyone. IMO

I am sorry but this is the real world. Not everyone has the same view point.

Feel free to put us "VIPs" on ignore then and hang around only like minded people.
That should lead to a real lively discussion.

Best of luck.

Brad

Last edited:
•••

You are a VIP yourself, you joined this forum almost 15 years ago. Everybody can have opinions, we're not all going to agree, that wouldn't be natural. In your reply, you actually don't list/quote anything specific you disagree with.

•••
I am sorry but this is the real world. Not everyone has the same view point.

Feel free to put us "VIPs" on ignore then and hang around only like minded people.
That should lead to a real lively discussion.

Best of luck.

Brad

You are right, on second thought I shouldn’t have grouped all VIPs together just because of one having an agenda that goes beyond domaining.

•••
You are right, on second thought I shouldn’t have grouped all VIPs together just because of one having an agenda that goes beyond domaining.

What's the agenda? Lacking specifics again.

•••
First, I have no idea what green/orange means.

Then, this isn't the first time that angle is being used. Must be some motivation/agenda kind of thing.

So let's play that scenario out. Do you think I have some agenda for those buying new gtlds to stop and buy .coms? Here's what would happen. You would start buying .coms from the same places I do, which would just result in higher prices for me or losing out on domains. We would be in the same auctions bidding each other up. It's actually in my best interest to steer everybody away from .com. My target audience doesn't even reside in this forum, I haven't bought or sold domains here in years.

So back to agenda. Let me start off by saying, I'm really am not trying to hurt your business or anybody elses. While we may disagree on topics here, I really do wish people success. I think the world is better off with financially secure people in it. However, you keep bringing this stuff up, so you're asking be to bring up reality.

.com doesn't need any help
new gtlds need all the help they can get

You are 100% invested in new gtlds, you start lots of threads on them.

You have a financial interest in this. I'm not selling any ebooks, evaluations etc. I'm only interested in buying and selling domains.

You sell price lists for $99. You sell appraisals for $499.

And again, when it comes to renewal time, it's very easy for me. Renewals are $8.47. I look at it, can I make more than $8.47? If yes, renew, simple stuff. If you can't even figure out what to renew, you surely shouldn't be giving $499 appraisals. This goes back to you asking for help on what to renew.

Now which looks like motivation or agenda to you?

And new gtlds are part of domaining. This is part of what I do for a living, nowadays mostly, with some affiliate marketing on the side. My agenda is less nonsense/crazy stuff.

That would be nice. Do you know Megan Fox has thumbs that look like toes, and they have to use a thumb double when they do close ups. It's just how life goes sometimes.
3324l.jpg

3324l.jpg

Lot of logical points JB, and I have nothing against it, I agree with most of what you wrote:

- I am 100% invested in new gTLDs - yes
- When someone order appraisal from my website for prices on my website, I do a work - yes
- If you exclude my .property , my renewals are on average 4-6 USD, so less then your .com names - yes
- I will probably finish and sell my ebook about new gTLDs, but I am too lazy right now to finish it - yes
- I created drop/renew thread where people are asking whether to renew/drop new gTLD domain names -yes
- And I contribute to above tread with my names - yes
- I love new gTLDs and start new threads on them - yes, guilty
-
I am running large appraisal thread where I do give appraisals (and spend lot of my personal time for free for others) - yes

All valid points, so far so good.
And now back, from my person, to your person, as the question was about you :)

I understood from your answer (which was unfortunatelly mostly about me) that your agenda is "less nonsense/crazy stuff"...that means that you are posting thousands and thousands of anti new gTLD posts from idealistic (love for truth) or altruistic (you want to help to others) reasons.That is what I called green in my previous post.

I am under very strong impression that portfolios like yours (word1word .com names) simply have to be impacted by all those new gTLDs alternatives, but it seems from what you wrote that your portfolio is an exception there, and there is no impact whatsoever - in addition to that, you just had your best 3 months so far in your whole history as you have informed few posts above this (aka no hidden financial interests why would you post, or what I called orange). So thank you for clarifying that, I appreciate it.

As for selling books, appraisals, consultations, etc...you have already mentioned my activities several times. And my answer was always the same: you are clever JB and you can do it too (in areas you know well), as we live in a free world!

So no need to focus on me, as you can write something interesting yourself! Book/article like
"How to invest in word1word . com names in 2019, and have your best 3 months ever!!! in your domaining career (despite all the direct competition from those new gTLDs)"
- I will certainly learn a lot from you, and for sure I will not clutter your threads (or give you bad Amazon reviews, lol) in the same manner my threads are usually cluttered. Act best :) Yours, lolwarrior

Last edited:
•••
•••
I understood from your answer (which was unfortunatelly mostly about me) that your agenda is "less nonsense/crazy stuff"...that means that you are posting thousands and thousands of anti new gTLD posts from idealistic (love for truth) or altruistic (you want to help to others) reasons.That is what I called green in my previous post.

I am under very strong impression that portfolios like yours (word1word .com names) simply have to be impacted by all those new gTLDs alternatives, but it seems from what you wrote that your portfolio is an exception there, and there is no impact whatsoever - in addition to that, you just had your best 3 months so far in your whole history as you have informed few posts above this (aka no hidden financial interests why would you post, or what I called orange). So thank you for clarifying that, I appreciate it.

As for selling books, appraisals, consultations, etc...you have already mentioned my activities several times. And my answer was always the same: you are clever JB and you can do it too (in areas you know well), as we live in a free world!

So no need to focus on me, as you can write something interesting yourself! Book/article like
"How to invest in word1word . com names in 2019, and have your best 3 months ever!!! in your domaining career (despite all the direct competition from those new gTLDs)"
- I will certainly learn a lot from you, and for sure I will not clutter your threads (or give you bad Amazon reviews, lol) in the same manner my threads are usually cluttered. Act best :) Yours, lolwarrior

My portfolio isn't impacted at all. We've already gone thru this. I pointed out my last 3 months have been the best ever. I pointed out I can't find many of my .coms that end in these extensions. I have nothing that ends in horse, vip etc. And then, I would always have the better domain anyway, since I have the .com.

I'm not into ebooks, evaluations etc. I wouldn't be good at that. The only person in this forum that I really do believe gives good evaluations is Eric. I think they're pretty spot on. A lot of this reminds me of, if you can't find the gold, sell the shovels.

I stay out of most new gtld threads. That .icu one is horrible. I see that and think of intensive care unit, probably like post people. Some people are trying to sell that as I see you, which is also horrible. Probably, one of the worst extensions, but you see some people trying to pump that one up.

I pointed out to you, that you bring most of this on yourself. I could go thru all the threads you started to give you examples. Your first post usually has something about .com. You could simply focus on new gtlds.

You are here to distract not educate.

My posts are all on topic. You have 3 posts in a row now full of nothing, no specifics, just complaining. I'm here to discuss stuff just like you, maybe you just don't like what you're reading. Actually quote something I've posted you disagree with and tell me why. That's what a discussion is. Maybe you're reading something wrong, it could be we just disagree on something and that's fine.

Last edited:
•••

We know that new tlds have far less than 1% market share. Com is almost the entire aftermarket.

I don't think new tlds are even on the radar when it comes to statistics. New extensions are drawfed by .net and .org. Even bad extensions like .co, .us, .io are much bigger even than all 1000 new tlds combined.

5 years ago the .com market was weakened by the new tlds because many thought they would get traction, things then fell apart for new tld over the last 5 years when that didn't happen. Today the debate is nearly over and the next stage (over the next 5-10 years) will be like .mobi, .biz and .info where nodbody bothers to defend any more and 99% of people say those extns are rubbish.

Last edited:
•••
I pointed out to you, that you bring most of this on yourself. I could go thru all the threads you started to give you examples. Your first post usually has something about .com. You could simply focus on new gtlds.

I can assure you I have exactly 0 interest in .com names. I simply do no care about .com, that is all. Just few days ago you was again thinking I have something against .com - you did not like Rule no.11 in my thread:

https://www.namepros.com/threads/ho...names-in-2019-and-actually-sell-them.1124142/
and I explained you in detail that it is not a case, below (hopefully you took a sec to read it):

JB :
Reread your first post again, something I quoted more than once now. It seems that is you, who can't help himself posting nonsense about .com, again giving bad advice. My good advice will be pointing out your bad advice.
@JB Lions

lolwarrior:
I think you simply misunderstood my Rule no.11. So let's quote it third time here, and reread it together:

11. Bonus point - do not listen to "voices of past" with "only .com is an good investment" mantra

So, does it says something agains .com investment? Or against .com? It simply says, that I think it is not wise to listen to "voices of past" with "only .com is an good investment" mantra. Yes, that word "only" makes the difference in your and my understanding, again, subtle thing, which you did not get JB ...

In another words: there are still people who say that only if you invest in .com you are a serious domain investor, and when you invest in new gTLDs you are stupid and wasting your money. I deeply disagree with those notions (and I called such people "voices of past", which is probably what irritated you), as I know that new gTLDs are an excellent investment vehicle for domain investors (particularly if you know what you are doing, and have good knowledge of them). This is btw what this thread is all about!

So to conclude: I have nothing against .com, as I simply do not care about .com, and I do not follow it. I fully respect that there are people who invest only in .com, but personally I am pure new gTLD investor. Saying that, I wish all .com investors only the best! I hope I made it clear now for you. Thank you :)

Last edited:
•••
My portfolio isn't impacted at all. We've already gone thru this. I pointed out my last 3 months have been the best ever. I pointed out I can't find many of my .coms that end in these extensions. I have nothing that ends in horse, vip etc. .

That is something very interesting and should deserve it's own thread imo. It would make interesting article, if someone with large word1word2 .com experience wrote more about how they go about it, since new gTLDs are out.

(For example, it seems logical (but I have no proof, only me guessing now) that word1word2 .com names where word2 is identical to some new gTLD extension, might have now little harder times, as end user might want to opt for new gTLD alternative in some cases ... again, this is something what I personally can not write article about, as I simply do not own large word1word2 portfolio to have enough personal experience with...but for sure, some members like you JB, with this experience can write something useful for others :)

Btw, when it was last time someone wrote good article about word1word2 .com names and it was trending here at Namepros???

•••
I can assure you I have exactly 0 interest in .com names. I simply do no care about .com, that is all. Just few days ago you was again thinking I have something against .com - you did not like Rule no.11 in my thread:

and I explained you in detail that it is not a case, below (hopefully you took a sec to read it):

Please, you obviously have issues with .com, it comes up in every thread, right from the first posts, like your Rule.11.

All new tlds investors who don't like .com have issues stemming from the past, e.g. missing out on .com names, thinking they were late, and then believing new tlds are the solutions.

•••
That is something very interesting and should deserve it's own thread imo. It would make interesting article, if someone with large word1word2 .com experience wrote more about how they go about it, since new gTLDs are out.

(For example, it seems logical (but I have no proof, only me guessing now) that word1word2 .com names where word2 is identical to some new gTLD extension, might have now little harder times, as end user might want to opt for new gTLD alternative in some cases ... again, this is something what I personally can not write article about, as I simply do not own large word1word2 portfolio to have enough personal experience with...but for sure, some members like you JB, with this experience can write something useful for others :)

Btw, when it was last time someone wrote good article about word1word2 .com names and it was trending here at Namepros???

I actually think the opposite, not harder but better. Looking thru my names, I spot a .com with homes as the second word. You now have a .homes. So somebody tries to develop on a .homes, I feel this helps my .com out. I have the #1 extension. The extension they probably wanted in the first place. Any advertising they do, there is going to be some bleed off, there is no getting around it. If I developed somethinghomes.com and threw it up on some billboard, will somebody see it and go to something.homes? No. But throw that something.homes up on a billboard, some people will see it and go to the .com. Then, if somebody is successful, down the road they upgrade to a .com. I actually welcome somebody trying to develop on a new gtld, if I had a corresponding .com.

So I never thought these were a threat to .com and based on my personal sales, not seeing it all.

Now, I always thought these were competition for other extensions people settle for. Alternate extensions competing with other alternate extensions, that makes sense. I used to have a bunch of .mes. I stopped buying them once I knew the new gtlds were coming and started selling them. So now I have 0 alternate extensions/extensions people settle for.

Last edited:
•••
travel.agency parked what's up with this? $9,999. on Flippa.
if you can't find the gold, sell the shovels.

Quote of the Month.:ROFL:

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back