IT.COM

new gtlds Pull up your sleeves, you new G's

NameSilo
Watch

HotKey

Made in CanadaTop Member
Impact
For the 3rd time in 6 months, watching the ol' tee-vee and wouldn't you know, on comes a Go Daddy commercial, with surprise surprise, promoting .guesswhatyesdot-com

I have yet to see another registrar or registry produce something like this for new G's, or anything for that matter.

So essentially, what we have here, is the maximum exposure on prime time television. 3 times in 6 months. Resulting in Mom and Pop knowing only three things:

- to buy a domain
- and there is only one extension
- all at one registrar

GD.

Soo, what the heck is every other registry and registrar doing to combat this monopolization? Nothing. No sleeves being pulled up, nothing being invested in main-stream television advertising by them.

I mean, comeon, get to work people. Investors pulling up our sleeves, but we seem to be the only ones. We have limited resources in educating the masses. To generate mass appeal on new products, we need exposure from the source, or even places like talk shows. Eg. Ellen or Jimmy Fallon. Else we're looking at a 50 year adoption rate. I mean slow and steady winds the race, but that slow??

When you have prime-time exposure, you don't have to worry about the distractors sitting around in circles singing kum ba yah and moaning and groaning how the non-coms don't get traffic, there's no comparables and oh no they are soo confusing. We don't need this mantra as new G investors. I would prefer if you're not willing to be educated, at the very least offer something constructive that improves to what we're building.

I realize Verisign is pooping cash, which helps them inject funds to, well, help them poop more cash, but surely the people who run new extensions had more than just the initial capital of 180k to acquire the new G?

They can't make something on the magnitude of a domain extension and expect people to just know about it. Particularly when up against an almost 40 year old behemoth.

So what's the problem? Are there vested interests that are attempting to bury new adoption? Or are these new registries really that cash-strapped? Whatever it is, looks like it continues to be up to us to roll up our sleeves and plug on. But until more excitement is generated, my weight will be on current stock rather than new acquisitions.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.

Super.investments. What's wrong?
Those were decent names. Don't tell me they weren't.

You guys have no sense of humor.
No disrespect, but reality is a bitch. I hate seeing these registries like the one on the Caribbean duping people for years and selling a dream that now has had so much time to catch on.

It's like holding a stock that never moves. At some point, you have to ask yourself "Should I sell?". I have been a surplus speculator and made a ton of money in all my years, and lost quite a bit also. I have dumped in the trash physical property that cost thousands, to make room for stuff that sells. Renewing names with $50+ renewals that nobody wants, at some point you need to just dump them.

Educating customers of value is hard enough with two word dot com. You know how many ordinary people say walking down the street and they ask what you do, they say really? Then you explain, and they say why would anybody pay $xx,xxx. or more for a stupid DOT COM domain name.

If you explain their are 1200 other extensions they say "What?, I had no idea..."

Faced with that reality- now all these confusing extensions and educating customers.

angelinvestor.agency reg fee
angelinvestor.xyz reg fee

healthsupplies.net $2,788.
healthsupplier.org and net reg fee

officeclub.io, officeclub.best reg fee

•••
All reg fee? What do you mean by that? Are you aware of the basic fact that new gTLD names can have standard and also premium renewal fees?

Names you listed here have various premium renewal fees, so it seems you can not even check what is the renewal fee of a new gTLD domain name.

Less posting of cola pictures, and more domain study, I would advice :)

If you can't sell in a year, dump them.

•••
There are so many points that can be made on both sides. Some are macro and others micro, some personal and some more community.

First the new gtlds are no longer new, no parent calls their 5 year old a newborn baby. They are getting ready for kindergarten. To a point @lolwarrior made about grouping them all together, I agree people should be talking about the extensions they believe in. People speak about .Com, .Net, .Org individually for the most part, so one should try to focus on what they believe in.

This takes us to the big picture on promotion, as one person from a registry said to me when I asked about a commercial or other promotion in mainstream media, "Yeah that ain't ever happening" I get that it would be a waste of resources, it would make domain investors who have an interest in .Club for example, happy to see a .club commercial but it would mean little for .club.

There are too many new gtlds, and the pricing is all wrong, sorry people can spin whatever they want but if you want to take on .com you need to price your extension like .com. I understand you paid $20 million for that string, that was your foolishness, domain investors, startups, Mom and Pop businesses, individuals, do not care about that. Not their fault.

Confusing strings, let's say I love these new choices and I am going to build my photography business on one. I see there is .photo, .photos. .pics, .photography

https://tldinvestors.com/2019/03/no...about-domain-names-than-domain-investors.html

First, I have no idea what green/orange means.

Then, this isn't the first time that angle is being used. Must be some motivation/agenda kind of thing.

So let's play that scenario out. Do you think I have some agenda for those buying new gtlds to stop and buy .coms? Here's what would happen. You would start buying .coms from the same places I do, which would just result in higher prices for me or losing out on domains. We would be in the same auctions bidding each other up. It's actually in my best interest to steer everybody away from .com. My target audience doesn't even reside in this forum, I haven't bought or sold domains here in years.

So back to agenda. Let me start off by saying, I'm really am not trying to hurt your business or anybody elses. While we may disagree on topics here, I really do wish people success. I think the world is better off with financially secure people in it. However, you keep bringing this stuff up, so you're asking be to bring up reality.

.com doesn't need any help
new gtlds need all the help they can get

You are 100% invested in new gtlds, you start lots of threads on them.

You have a financial interest in this. I'm not selling any ebooks, evaluations etc. I'm only interested in buying and selling domains.

You sell price lists for $99. You sell appraisals for $499.

And again, when it comes to renewal time, it's very easy for me. Renewals are $8.47. I look at it, can I make more than $8.47? If yes, renew, simple stuff. If you can't even figure out what to renew, you surely shouldn't be giving $499 appraisals. This goes back to you asking for help on what to renew.

Now which looks like motivation or agenda to you?

And new gtlds are part of domaining. This is part of what I do for a living, nowadays mostly, with some affiliate marketing on the side. My agenda is less nonsense/crazy stuff.

That would be nice. Do you know Megan Fox has thumbs that look like toes, and they have to use a thumb double when they do close ups. It's just how life goes sometimes.

3324l.jpg

I had no idea about the lists or the $499 appraisals, thank you for posting that as that really tells a lot about agendas.

Last edited:
•••
When you have only one side, aka an echo chamber, it turns into a ghost town like gtld(dot)link.

You need varying view points to have an active discussion.

Brad

Brad that is really what domaining has become for the most part.

When I started the .tv subforum on Namepros there was plenty of animosity, it became like turf war everyday. Old time .commers came in and the push back was tremendous, people who came to .tv as their first foray into domaining would pm me, demanding something be done. Now RJ ran Namepros at the time and I pointed out to him that long time veteran Jeff seemed to just be trolling, he could deal with it, or I would, makes little difference.

The bottom line was people were passionate, now at times I believe that passion bordered on becoming cult like. People who wanted to get physical with someone over a low appraisal, members getting other members banned, then the banned member getting a new account and threatening them. It was a truly crazy time. Again there was no unity, pure unadulterated hatred? Yes, there was that.

People like to belong to a tribe, deal with a group of like minded individuals. That can be good but can also be dangerous, you want to hear other opinions, they can help you see something where before you could not see it.

IMO, money has always been the determining factor for most as to why they joined a certain tribe.

I know that a lot of people came to the .tv subforum because they did not have or did not want to spend the money it cost for great .com names in 2005.

The made up brandable thing was not really going yet back then, so they wanted an LL or LLL but opted for .tv where they could afford it. Great keywords were available, these keywords would cost a lot in .com.

The BrandBucket generation was born out of a lack of wanting to spend $50,000 on an LLL.com or premium one word .com. Reg it for $8, sell it for $2,400 rinse and repeat. Michael Krell, Margot Bushnaq and several sellers have done very well with this strategy.

.TV investors were best prepared to understand the new gtld game, because prior to the new gtld’s it was .tv that only dealt with premium pricing and renewals. Many found success, the one’s that participated in the community, who read, shared, and knew they did not know everything. Several members who came to domaining with little money and no premium .coms made good to great money.

The game has changed however with more options. Someone who I knew from .tv said to me they didn’t understand why they could not replicate their .tv success with some new gtld’s.

I feel it’s because back when we were doing what we were doing in .tv, it was a solid alternative option. There was not 500 options, if you came to .tv you were not tied to .com. Someone was not going to make an offer wanting a niche like a .tv and then move on to a .name or .aero.

Today there are so many options that it’s much harder, there will always be outliers but the seller does not have great leverage.

If you don’t want someone’s $2,000 for your .photo that buyer might move to .pics or .photography. Maybe even a .media or .video.

The great thing about domaining is you can do it anywhere in the world, you need no one else to succeed but yourself. Read, crunch data and then read some more. Never put 100% of your portfolio in someone else’s philosophy. Make sure it’s your philosophy, stick to a budget and always have a safety net.

Just about everyone has an agenda no matter how much they tell you they don’t, and they probably won’t be there to help you if you go broke.

Be smart, be data driven, be you

https://tldinvestors.com/2018/06/domaining-a-collection-of-echo-chambers.html

•••
You guys have no sense of humor.
No disrespect, but reality is a bitch.

@offthehandle just to inform, for example my reality is not a bitch - I am very pleased with my new gTLD names, and I am not complaining even one iota.

Of course, when one registers low quality names wth high renewals, then reality can be a bitch, I guess :)

•••
I am very pleased with my new gTLD names, and I am not complaining even one iota.

You make no mention of selling them in that statement. "Pleased with my new gtld names"? What does that mean? You can sit and look at beautiful shiny things that collect dust, feel you are the proud owner as long as you are happy. Do you sell to end users? If so, how many have websites that are on these names?

I pay $10 renewals and also collect names too and put content on them. Some I have no interest in selling them. Also, I don't need the money, this is pure fun.

If I were myself thinking like a new customer and entered a name on Godaddy- their screen comes up with 10 or more choices, then you can look deeper. So faced with 100 different extensions, for reg fee, thinking like a customer I would never buy a domainers marked up newgtld. No way. Like Superior.Investments Generic and superior and nobody regged it, what's a paltry ~$206 for 5 years if you truly believed in it. If I were an end user interested in .Investments I would buy it, start a website and local investments business, or international, whatever.

•••
@offthehandle I am very pleased with my new gTLD names, and I am not complaining even one iota.

Well what is with all the complaints from you in this thread then?

Complaining about registries not publishing data
Complaining about registry representatives not posting here
Complaining about lack of awareness with enduser
Complaining about lack of tv ads
Complaining about people who don't like new tld

You are Bob are here complaining every day, sniping against others with posts and dislikes, then the next minute you pretend to take the high ground?

Last edited:
•••
BREAKING NEWS 12 March 2019

Leading new gTLD registry RADIX has just reported spectacular revenue growth of 30 percent and profitability growth of 45 percent.

Read all about it:

Radix reports over 45% growth in profitability for 2018. Revenue grows by over 30%

The Domains
https://www.thedomains.com/2019/03/...fitability-for-2018-revenue-grows-by-over-30/
- - - - -

Radix reports 30% revenue jump in 2018

Domain Name Wire
https://domainnamewire.com/2019/03/11/radix-reports-30-revenue-jump-in-2018/
- - - - -

Radix revenue grows by over 30% in 2018

Online Domain
https://onlinedomain.com/2019/03/11/domain-name-news/radix-revenue-grows-by-over-30-in-2018/

•••
"PROOF"

Here is “proof” that collectively speaking, the new gTLD program is doing just fine.

The following rounded numbers are from ntldstats.com.

These stats can be obtained from the five year chart of the entire program:

The new gTLD program peaked at around 29.5M in 2017.

In 2018 the numbers fell to 22.5M, indicating a dramatic collective fall of -7M.

However, by 2019 they had risen to 26M indicating a gain of 3.5M.

So to date, the fall from the peak to now is (29.5 minus 26) which is -3.5M.

Yes, to an unsophisticated analyst, that would still look like bad news. But not to an experienced technical analyst.

Next, look at the four individual charts of just four registries. Some or all of these ran unsustainable one cent or one dollar registration “schemes”:

From their individual peaks, here are the massive losses in registrations suffered by just four extensions.

.XYZ -4.5M
.TOP -1.1M
.WIN -.9M
.LOAN -.6M

GRAND TOTAL OF LOSSES BY JUST FOUR EXTENSIONS: -7.1M

As you can see, the fall in collective nGTLD numbers can be accounted for by the losses suffered by just four of the new GTLD strings :rage:

The .XYZ registry, all by itself, accounted for more than half the entire loss of registrations by the entire new gTLD program. Yet people blame the program :rage:

So by inference you can assume that, on average, the collective new gTLD program is actually growing at a slow but steady underlying rate. (Meaning fully priced domains.)

So just four of the more than 500 new gTLDs can account for the entire massive loss of seven million registrations.

These losses suffered by just one percent of the new Gs are pretty much irrelevant to the other 99 percent.

Anyone who believes the new gTLD program is in permanent decline is plain wrong.

To note, the collective numbers look like they will continue to decline for a long while yet, but that can very likely be accounted for by the massive number of worthless one dollar domain promotions yet to be dropped.

Also, new one dollar promotional “schemes” are still around so they will continue to distort the true numbers.

•••
BrandableDomain you are missing big picture, numbers were expected to be 60million+ several years ago.

There is no traction, startups are using .com or if they can’t get that .net, .io, .co, the world has not changed. There is almost no aftermarket for these names because they have very limited usage.

•••
@BrandableDomain great post,

Most of those that were dropped were terrible domains that should not have been registered in the first place. I believe this was a one time correction as I don't see too many good domains dropping. IMO

•••
I probably own better new gTLD's than anyone in this discussion (maybe on the forum) and I can still tell you they are terrible investments.

What does that tell you.....
Thanks Josh,

You've got the pro label, and that tells a lot- but willing to bet no one has earned that badge via solely gTLD sales. Yet.

But it can tell a lot, and would rather not base on assumptions. ie. considering
1)the strategy we are used to using to sell our coms, may not be working for the G's.
2) name quality + timing. If they truly are better than anyone here, without seeing the names, its not a question of if its when.

I think going into this myself anyways I gave myself a 5-10 year outlook before going from a passive/holding approach, moving from awareness and letting the dust settle period to an active and more aggressive strategy.

Many rewarding .coms from prominent domainers came from being patient and holding out, waiting for them to age properly before opening the bottle.

One thing to keep in mind, the early adopters of some great names have the benefit of paying regular renewals, if you decide to drop many of these names get hiked to premium renewals.

•••
Two pieces of great advice:

My advice to New gTLD fans is to not to waste too much time arguing here, your time is better spent researching and finding domains, you don't have to prove anything to anyone but to yourself by finding domains that have perfect keyword/extension correlation at low renewal charges. IMO
In a nutshell, this sums it up perfectly.

I can still tell you they are terrible investments.
Agreed. I think until proven otherwise, on a more consistent basis other than a couple of successful domainers here on NP, this statement is not to be taken lightly. Don't put all your eggs in one basket, a little exposure to new G's in your portfolio if you can afford to carry the risk.

More excuses. Look at what sells and learn from it, it isn't new tlds. Time to wake up and smell the roses!
More than one flower out there, Jonnie. But if you're into the rose, I found a name might work for you:

thorny . flowers

mind you its premium, looks like registry looking to prick someone..

•••
@BrandableDomain

As far as your last couple posts.

This year, the year we're actually in, the numbers are going down. They may go up again, but right now down.

As far as the registries, that is one thing most of us actually agree on, even people you may call new gtld haters. That the registries are the ones making out. Keeping the good ones for themselves, selling the rest to domainers. And you can see this in the sales, the biggest sales happen to be registry sales. That's not by accident.

As far as the 5, 10, 15, whatever, year outlook.

That's what people said when they first came out, give it 5 years. 5 years later, give it another 5, 10 years.

I think that's another big divide from those that invest in these compared to those that don't think much of them

Those investing in them think the prices will eventually go up.

But why would they? If you look at some other extensions that were considered new before these came out. There seems to be what I like to call a hope and hype stage, the beginning. One comes out, gets a lot of attention (hype) people that buy them have some hope that they will do good. I invested in a lot of .me. The bigger sales were at the beginning. As it went on, the demand/prices dropped.

With these new gtlds, I think a lot of them will simply be forgotten and get buried. Go thru the forum and check out some of the first year new gtlds. How many people do you see today talking about .sexy? When it came out there was lots of discussion. Frank was even out on the blogs replying to people's comments trying to push them. Look at the example I gave with the real estate domains. You have alternatives to alternatives. End users who choose to settle for an alternative extension, have alternatives to alternatives.

I haven't kept up with the news but is there still going to be a Round 2? Another wave of new gtlds? If so, even more alternatives. Tell me why that will help the price of these current ones.

Then at the end of the day, the most important thing is not reg numbers or what the registries are doing or somebody's opinion on new gtds. It's what you're doing. How are your numbers. That's one thing you don't see talked about much in these threads. People rather talk about how the registry is doing, not themselves.

Last edited:
•••
Why not listen to logic,

Instead of letting one side whether pro or against the New gTLDs to determine what people should or should not do, perhaps people should hear all sides and combine that with their own research and judgement in order to decide what’s the best route to take, and when I say to listen to all sides I mean to look at all the professional opinions on the subject even if some are constructive criticisms.

Lets forget about domains for a minute and imagine that you want to buy a car, you are faced with many choices and there are people who might give you contradictory advice as to what kind of car to buy. Some think that you should stick with a traditional car that has already proven to be the best choice over the last decades, and then some might tell you that you might be better off buying an electric car and should not be afraid to make a switch to something new, and then there might be some who probably are going to tell you that you should be a pioneer and consider owing a flying car. Even after you have made up your mind as to which one of these types of cars to buy there are still those who want to tell you as to what make, model, or year is best for you. Now faced with all these different kinds of advice about buying a car the first question you have to ask yourself is why are some people so eager and persistence in giving you advice, is the advice coming from a close friend who really wants what’s best for you or is it coming from those who have something to gain or who want to protect their own interest or perhaps the interest of the people that they work for or who are being paid by. You can bet that those who benefit from you owning a traditional car are going to have all kinds of paid operatives trying to make the electric cars look bad, and perhaps those who want to persuade you to buy a flying car are not telling you the truth about all the safety issues and want to use you as guinea pig to help develop their products.

Nevertheless in any situation it's good to hear all sides, but you need to ask yourself where all these free advice is coming from and is the motive of the person who is giving the advice to help you or to help themselves , when people resort to using underhanded tactics to try to devalue someone else’s opinion then that’s a clear sign that tells you that their motives are not honorable and that their intentions are more self serving.

IMO

Last edited:
•••
coke.delivery available!
Someone go roll Escobar over, imagine what he could have did with this one.

Thanks Josh,

2) name quality + timing. If they truly are better than anyone here, without seeing the names, its not a question of if its when.
Replied before seeing the names further on down the thread. Those are high-quality names, real beauties. So we can rule out name quality as the problem, its just the timing. Once they find the right buyer, I don't think you'll be calling them terrible investments.

Angel.investments, I mean that is a superb name on many levels. Strikes me, rather than being an EMD, stands out to me something like an "SMD", smart match domain. where even though the left doesn't match the right of the dot in a dictionary sense, it is a great name to build a brand on.

btw "smart" is way over used. anyone got anything better? I now equate something being "smart", makes the user "stupid".

No reason to rush these kind of names out, just to make a sale. imo.

This takes us to the big picture on promotion, as one person from a registry said to me when I asked about a commercial or other promotion in mainstream media, "Yeah that ain't ever happening" I get that it would be a waste of resources, it would make domain investors who have an interest in .Club for example, happy to see a .club commercial but it would mean little for .club.
A tld like .club, its not like its a really a small niche, it can cover a huge range of businesses. Weird they would think its a waste of resources. I would love to know a more detailed rationale. It just doesn't make sense.

•••
Many rewarding .coms from prominent domainers came from being patient and holding out, waiting for them to age properly before opening the bottle.

One thing to keep in mind, the early adopters of some great names have the benefit of paying regular renewals, if you decide to drop many of these names get hiked to premium renewals.

It never worked that way, read any of the Dnjournal stories and they were making money very early on.

•••
btw "smart" is way over used. anyone got anything better?

The word smart has been around for a long time and in the past it was used to emphasize more on you as the consumer making a Smart Choice, but now it means that the Object itself is Smart. I still like the way the word Smart relates to new technology like in “ SmartHomes.forsale “ which is one of my domains, I don't claim that it's the best domain on the forum, but it is a good example of a New gTLD that has good keyword/extension correlation at low renewal charges. IMO

Last edited:
•••
Just as an offside..I saw you post that name in another thread, its an excellent name. Not fond of the extension because there's the .sale extension, but good luck finding a decent name in that one.

Smart buy, hope you get the right buyer that picks up on the nice combination. As another off, I have seen realtors use new extension in the newpapers lisiting. First time was a couple of years ago, put a big smile on my face.

•••
Well what is with all the complaints from you in this thread then?

Complaining about registries not publishing data
Complaining about registry representatives not posting here
Complaining about lack of awareness with enduser
Complaining about lack of tv ads
Complaining about people who don't like new tld

You are Bob are here complaining every day, sniping against others with posts and dislikes, then the next minute you pretend to take the high ground?
Johnnie everyone who can read written text can see clearly that we simply do not do that.

I can love my new gTLD names and new gTLDs as such, and still have some suggestions ... is there something wrong with this? There is no contradiction there :)

•••
A tld like .club, its not like its a really a small niche, it can cover a huge range of businesses. Weird they would think its a waste of resources. I would love to know a more detailed rationale. It just doesn't make sense.

You have your domainer cap on here. The number of businesses that call themselves "Club" is very limited, that is not a broad tld even though the registry would like you to think otherwise.

Something like .web/.com/.net is broad because the tld doesn't mean anything in particular, even .xyz since the tld has little meaning. For "club" the usage is subscription services and the like, where you pay annually or monthly to join a club, that is a niche, it doesn't cover a huge range of businesses.

•••
The word smart has been around for a long time and in the past it was used to emphasize more on you as the consumer making a Smart Choice, but now it means that the Object itself is Smart. I still like the way the word Smart relates to new technology like in “ SmartHomes.forsale “ which is one of my domains, I don't claim that it's the best domain on the forum, but it is a good example of a New gTLD that has good keyword/extension correlation at low renewal charges. IMO

Agree about the word "smart" it is a positive word that is used a lot.

As for names like smarthomes.forsale, you are throwing money away registering names like that. Nobody will call their business that and even the .com not worth registering.

•••
Well, the.com is registered (but not developed) so someone thought it was worth it. Also, "smart" home construction is a massive industry, and new home buyers/renovators are on the hunt for these kinds of homes. So having such perfect matching url such as "SmartHomes.forSale" benefits both the buyer looking for a credible link, and the adopter building on it.

Not throwing money away. Why not throw away your inhibitions and try one for yourself, what possible harm could it do??

•••
Well, the.com is registered (but not developed) so someone thought it was worth it. Also, "smart" home construction is a massive industry, and new home buyers/renovators are on the hunt for these kinds of homes. So having such perfect matching url such as "SmartHomes.forSale" benefits both the buyer looking for a credible link, and the adopter building on it.

Not throwing money away. Why not throw away your inhibitions and try one for yourself, what possible harm could it do??

Someone registered it last year, doesn't mean anything especially since you have a much weaker version. New home buyers are not "on the hunt" for these types of names, there is no similar sales.

The harm of people copying your strategy is a bunch of wasted money, the outcome is already known.

•••
BrandableDomain you are missing big picture, numbers were expected to be 60million+ several years ago.

There is no traction, startups are using .com or if they can’t get that .net, .io, .co, the world has not changed. There is almost no aftermarket for these names because they have very limited usage.
No traction?

Dot DEV has gained 100,000 domains in two weeks.

https://www.ntldstats.com/tld/dev

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back