Dynadot

new gtlds Pull up your sleeves, you new G's

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

HotKey

Made in CanadaTop Member
Impact
For the 3rd time in 6 months, watching the ol' tee-vee and wouldn't you know, on comes a Go Daddy commercial, with surprise surprise, promoting .guesswhatyesdot-com

I have yet to see another registrar or registry produce something like this for new G's, or anything for that matter.

So essentially, what we have here, is the maximum exposure on prime time television. 3 times in 6 months. Resulting in Mom and Pop knowing only three things:

- to buy a domain
- and there is only one extension
- all at one registrar

GD.

Soo, what the heck is every other registry and registrar doing to combat this monopolization? Nothing. No sleeves being pulled up, nothing being invested in main-stream television advertising by them.

I mean, comeon, get to work people. Investors pulling up our sleeves, but we seem to be the only ones. We have limited resources in educating the masses. To generate mass appeal on new products, we need exposure from the source, or even places like talk shows. Eg. Ellen or Jimmy Fallon. Else we're looking at a 50 year adoption rate. I mean slow and steady winds the race, but that slow??

When you have prime-time exposure, you don't have to worry about the distractors sitting around in circles singing kum ba yah and moaning and groaning how the non-coms don't get traffic, there's no comparables and oh no they are soo confusing. We don't need this mantra as new G investors. I would prefer if you're not willing to be educated, at the very least offer something constructive that improves to what we're building.

I realize Verisign is pooping cash, which helps them inject funds to, well, help them poop more cash, but surely the people who run new extensions had more than just the initial capital of 180k to acquire the new G?

They can't make something on the magnitude of a domain extension and expect people to just know about it. Particularly when up against an almost 40 year old behemoth.

So what's the problem? Are there vested interests that are attempting to bury new adoption? Or are these new registries really that cash-strapped? Whatever it is, looks like it continues to be up to us to roll up our sleeves and plug on. But until more excitement is generated, my weight will be on current stock rather than new acquisitions.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Has anyone seen registries do some interesting promos or advertisements lately ? :)
Negative, officer.

But something interesting I read about is this whole idea of billboards. I came across a post by @BrandableDomain in another thread mentioning The Billboard Test, asking whether or not a domain passes it.

First I had seen/heard of it, but it struck me as such a fantastic way to promote the nGs, almost as if billboards and new Gs were made for each other. We're not going to see too many long-tail domains on billboards, nor with the nGs, so paste them on there!

I found an interesting article about domains and the Billboard Test, if want to take a peek:
https://www.eugeneloj.com/2006/11/billboard_and_t.html

written all the way back in 2006 I believe, and the author isn't even a domainer yet spot on some points. ie number of characters needed to make the domain name memorable (7) when using the billboard as an advertising medium, keeping the name short and prominent (which is perfectly suited to new Gs), and even dropping the "www" from the promoted domain name (less characters and distraction).

So the billboard would be a great way to go, will keep my eyes open for one with a new G on it. The challenge will be taking a picture of it, though, zipping by on the highway, hmm.

•••
Thanks for the reference about the Billboard Test @HotKey :woot:

I thought it would be interesting to see how it applies to the new Gs, so I altered the photos from the original reference to highlight the recent spectacular sale of Free.games for $335,000.

In the Billboard Test, brevity is one of the paramount concerns. It’s simple geometry, the shorter the name, the bigger the letters can be to maximize the impact and memorability.

The principles also apply in varying degrees to print and other media, and even in Google search results.

billboard4.jpg

billboard3.jpg

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back