Dynadot

new gtlds Pull up your sleeves, you new G's

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

HotKey

Made in CanadaTop Member
Impact
For the 3rd time in 6 months, watching the ol' tee-vee and wouldn't you know, on comes a Go Daddy commercial, with surprise surprise, promoting .guesswhatyesdot-com

I have yet to see another registrar or registry produce something like this for new G's, or anything for that matter.

So essentially, what we have here, is the maximum exposure on prime time television. 3 times in 6 months. Resulting in Mom and Pop knowing only three things:

- to buy a domain
- and there is only one extension
- all at one registrar

GD.

Soo, what the heck is every other registry and registrar doing to combat this monopolization? Nothing. No sleeves being pulled up, nothing being invested in main-stream television advertising by them.

I mean, comeon, get to work people. Investors pulling up our sleeves, but we seem to be the only ones. We have limited resources in educating the masses. To generate mass appeal on new products, we need exposure from the source, or even places like talk shows. Eg. Ellen or Jimmy Fallon. Else we're looking at a 50 year adoption rate. I mean slow and steady winds the race, but that slow??

When you have prime-time exposure, you don't have to worry about the distractors sitting around in circles singing kum ba yah and moaning and groaning how the non-coms don't get traffic, there's no comparables and oh no they are soo confusing. We don't need this mantra as new G investors. I would prefer if you're not willing to be educated, at the very least offer something constructive that improves to what we're building.

I realize Verisign is pooping cash, which helps them inject funds to, well, help them poop more cash, but surely the people who run new extensions had more than just the initial capital of 180k to acquire the new G?

They can't make something on the magnitude of a domain extension and expect people to just know about it. Particularly when up against an almost 40 year old behemoth.

So what's the problem? Are there vested interests that are attempting to bury new adoption? Or are these new registries really that cash-strapped? Whatever it is, looks like it continues to be up to us to roll up our sleeves and plug on. But until more excitement is generated, my weight will be on current stock rather than new acquisitions.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I probably own better new gTLD's than anyone in this discussion (maybe on the forum) and I can still tell you they are terrible investments.

What does that tell you.....

•••
travel.agency parked what's up with this? $9,999. on Flippa.

Quote of the Month.:ROFL:

It's not mine, it's the common lesson from the Gold Rush times.

"There is a saying in the startup world that "you can mine for gold or you can sell pickaxes." This is of course an allusion to the California Gold Rush where some of the most successful business people such as Levi Strauss and Samuel Brannan didn't mine for gold themselves but instead sold supplies to miners - wheelbarrows, tents, jeans, pickaxes etc. Mining for gold was the more glamorous path but actually turned out, in aggregate, to be a worse return on capital and labor than selling supplies."

https://www.businessinsider.com/selling-pickaxes-during-a-gold-rush-2011-2

-----------
Also, to add to my comment above. There are many who buy .com that specifically target some of these new gtlds. As an example with .club. Look for wordclub.coms. Or .homes comes out, wordhomes.com etc.

Last edited:
•••
It's not mine, it's the common lesson from the Gold Rush times.

"There is a saying in the startup world that "you can mine for gold or you can sell pickaxes." This is of course an allusion to the California Gold Rush where some of the most successful business people such as Levi Strauss and Samuel Brannan didn't mine for gold themselves but instead sold supplies to miners - wheelbarrows, tents, jeans, pickaxes etc. Mining for gold was the more glamorous path but actually turned out, in aggregate, to be a worse return on capital and labor than selling supplies."

https://www.businessinsider.com/selling-pickaxes-during-a-gold-rush-2011-2

I never heard it said exactly that succinct before, the concept of shovel sellers of course I have read. Levi's. Yep. Except they F'ed when changed from 100% cotton on 501's years back. To me, it was like when Coke changed the recipe.

•••
•••
I never heard it said exactly that succinct before, the concept of shovel sellers of course I have read. Levi's. Yep. Except they F'ed when changed from 100% cotton on 501's years back. To me, it was like when Coke changed the recipe.

I actually did a report on that back in the day. It was more a marketing issue for Coke. People actually preferred the taste of New Coke over Pepsi and the Original Coke formula with a blindfold on. But without the blindfold, they chose the Original One. They went with what was familiar to them, comfort etc. Same with search engines. Google came out, was actually better than the ones out at the time. They became ingrained with people. Then you had some that came out later that were just as good or better like Teoma, AllTheWeb, but it was too late.

You can kind of make the same case with domain extensions. Who knows what would have happened if they all came out back in the day at the same time.

Off topic sorry, real quick- Not sure if you are aware, but down south here Coke is more like the original, tastes like it did in the late 60's-70's. They still use small and large glass bottles (not light green glass), are often reused and REAL sugar in the recipe, still. No Corn Syrup instead of sugar yet in all of it like the states.
Show attachment 112275

Wear marks on side:

Show attachment 112276

@offthehandle not to take the thread off topic so posting response here. I actually do, I ordered some via Amazon in the past with the real sugar. Mexican Coke:

https://www.amazon.com/Mexican-Coke-Glass-Bottles-Pack/dp/B0012ZYZ5I

• Made with real cane sugar
  • 24 classic Coca-Cola glass bottles
  • Product of Mexico
I actually didn't like it, maybe because I'm used to the Coke we have here.

Last edited:
•••
Everyone thinks they have the .best

•••
I probably own better new gTLD's than anyone in this discussion (maybe on the forum) and I can still tell you they are terrible investments.

Well Josh, in full respect, imo there can be 2 reasons for that (and I am sorry for being harsh here):

a) either you are a bad seller
or
b) you think that you own better new gTLD names then anyone here, but you think it incorrectly

I think you are a good seller (as I watched some of your videos and you seemed very decent)...

....so it they are suuuuch bad investment, it must be b) then ....
(aka not well selected, or low quality new gTLD names, or too high renewals, etc..)

There are lot of possible reasons why this can happen - I wrote recently a article where I pointed out few things which I think are important (only my personal opinon and I might be wrong), here:
https://www.namepros.com/threads/ho...names-in-2019-and-actually-sell-them.1124142/

.... sorry for bad news...but it happens.

PS: if you think I am not correct (which you will probably think), then show us your portfolio of "best new gTLD names on Namepros", and let's go via it together, to see where the problem might be.

Last edited:
•••
PS: if you think I am not correct (which you will probably think), then show us your portfolio of "best new gTLD names on Namepros", and let's go via it together, to see where the problem might be.
This should be fun. A duel of portfolios. The duel, or challenge, may need it's own thread. Best of luck to all.

Last edited:
•••
Well Josh, in full respect, imo there can be 2 reasons for that (and I am sorry for being harsh here):

a) either you are a bad seller
or
b) you think that you own better new gTLD names then anyone here, but you think it incorrectly

I think you are a good seller (as I watched some of your videos and you seemed very decent)...

....so it they are suuuuch bad investment, it must be b) then ....
(aka not well selected, or low quality new gTLD names, or too high renewals, etc..)

There are lot of possible reasons why this can happen - I wrote recently a article where I pointed out few things which I think are important (only my personal opinon and I might be wrong), here:
https://www.namepros.com/threads/ho...names-in-2019-and-actually-sell-them.1124142/

.... sorry for bad news...but it happens.

Angel.Investments
Health.Supplies
Office.Club

... I haven't seen many better.

•••

That tell us that you probably got some great keywords but at high renewals which are not sustainable on the long run if we are talking about a large portfolio. Most of us here are after New gTLDs with perfect keyword/extension correlation that have very low renewals.

•••
back on topic lol.whatever
reg em'

coke.best reg fee
coke.horse taken
coke.idiot does not exist, yet.
coke.delivery available!
coke.hiv
coke.lol
coke.love
coke.mom
coke.travel

Last edited:
•••
Off topic sorry, real quick- Not sure if you are aware, but down south here Coke is more like the original, tastes like it did in the late 60's-70's. They still use small and large glass bottles (not light green glass), are often reused and REAL sugar in the recipe, still. No Corn Syrup instead of sugar yet in all of it like the states.
Show attachment 112275

Wear marks on side:

Show attachment 112276
@offthehandle can you maybe PM @JB Lions those coke messages privately? We all do not need to see that really :)

•••
I wonder how many more New gTLD threads are going to be hijacked this way.

•••
•••

Can you state those names?

There is a blog article today where apparently Michael Berkins in getting hardly any inquires on his new tlds, hardly any offers at all, even low offer. I remember reading a bout 2 years ago he hadn't sold a single name despite spending a kings ransom acquiring a lot of new tlds.

•••
Angel.Investments
Health.Supplies
Office.Club

... I haven't seen many better.
Well, ok, this is officially the best portfolio of new gTLD names I have seen so far on Namepros :)

Now seriously...those 3 names are not bad at all, and renewals for second and third name seems to be in check, while there could be some argument imo whether renewal for first name will make it profitable investment, or not.

But when it comes to "best new gTLD portfolio on Namepros", you are competing with portfolios of small players like me (little above 1000 new gTLD names) and large players with 6k-10k high quality new gTLD names (which are also members here as well, but are not very active in postings, so you probably are not aware of them).

I think I will in future start a new thread named "Duel of portfolios", which I guess would be tons of fun as @Internet.Domains kindly suggested :)

•••
•••
back on topic lol.whatever
reg em'

coke.best reg fee
coke.horse taken
coke.idiot does not exist, yet.
coke.delivery available!
coke.hiv
coke.lol
coke.love
coke.mom
coke.travel
@offthehandle thanks to be back on topic, but try be a gentlemen (or a lady, if you are one),
and remember to act nicely to others here :)

Act.Best.png
Yours, lolwarrior

•••
•••
I wonder how many more New gTLD threads are going to be hijacked this way.

The thread is exactly on topic, which is why the new tlds are doing so badly. Reread the first post.

If you want to read positive stuff on new tlds choose a different thread perhaps?

•••
•••
Offers aren't sales. And sales aren't final until the money hits the bank.

•••
@offthehandle thanks to be back on topic, but try be a gentlemen (or a lady, if you are one),
and remember to act nicely to others here :)

Yours, lolwarrior

All reg fee, somebody really missed a few:

super.investments
greatest.investments
great.horse
great.love
super.love
professional.investments
professional.delivery
fast.horse ! unbelievable, missed by somebody
fast.love
winning.horse
winning.investments
superior.investments
superior.delivery
superior.travel

•••

super.investments
greatest.investments
great.horse
great.love
super.love
professional.investments
professional.delivery
fast.love
winning.horse
winning.investments
superior.investments
superior.delivery
superior.travel
(n)(n)

•••

super.investments
greatest.investments
great.horse
great.love
super.love
professional.investments
professional.delivery
fast.love
winning.horse
winning.investments
superior.investments
superior.delivery
superior.travel
All reg fee? What do you mean by that? Are you aware of the basic fact that new gTLD names can have standard and also premium renewal fees?

Names you listed here have various premium renewal fees, so it seems you can not even check what is the renewal fee of a new gTLD domain name.

Less posting of cola pictures, and more domain study, I would advice :)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back