Dynadot

discuss .pt domain Legally Refused. Bitcoin.pt

NameSilo
Watch

Amit V

Established Member
Impact
I registered bitcoin.pt a couple of days back and received this message today (attached) from .pt domain registry that they are cancelling the registration . It is now officialy forbidden. Wtf

Attachments

• pt.PNG
    pt.PNG
    67.7 KB · Views: 289
  • wtf.PNG
    wtf.PNG
    6.4 KB · Views: 289
Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
It would appear that this is something similar to what is in operation in Spain whereby you would either need to be a registered citizen with a National Identity number or have and/or operate a company that is registered in Spain. Unfortunately, there is no way around that as it is just the way that they wish to operate their Country code. I'm guessing the reason is the same for the Portuguese Government.

I'd say we will have to just use other country codes or even .coms lol.

Regards,

Reddstagg

•••
Well I gave all my Id info and contact data in Europe and it was oficially registered in my name(attached) for 2-3 days and then the ban. Does'nt make sense.

Attachments

• pt1.PNG
    pt1.PNG
    10.3 KB · Views: 260
•••
I know the feeling. I'm in Ireland and I found out that I couldn't register .es for Spain unless I was officially connected to the country through residency or through a business. I'd say that Portugal is the same or very similar. Sometimes, you're buying through a registry which is buying through a registrar which is then buying the relevant country code domain name and it takes some time to check details etc. I think that they must just restrict who can register their country code. Most other countries relaxed their rules so that now anyone no matter where they are in the world can register a domain.

You will have to find a more viable option for you previous registration. There is usually more than one choice.

Good luck.

Reddstagg

•••
Yeah, some names are off limits in .pt. Had it happened to me once. They took a domain off my hands just a few days after I registered it.

Funny thing,
that domain got registered over and over again by others and all got the same reaction from the registry. Ofc, they never return your money so I can't imagine how much money the registry makes from such registrations since the domain always appears to be free to register.

•••
•••
Happened to me with ssh.pt (different paragraph though):

upload_2020-12-1_8-57-23.png

Interestingly, after following up with them, I got this info: "However, we inform you that we are reviewing said Rules and they will suffer some alterations, regarding this subject. It is probable that in a few month you will be able to register this domain name."

Re: Hypershot - they do refund the fee, so you just need(ed) to pursue your registrar to give it back. Quote: "we inform you that you can be reimbursed for the domain registration" + "we hereby inform you that you must make a refund request with the entity to which you paid the domain registration ssh.pt.". It took some mails but I got a refund from the registrar after they checked it properly (at first they claimed that it wasn't possible).

Last edited:
•••
Yes, I have opened a case with the Registrar and am waiting for the outcome. Its not about the 20€ really but about the idiocracy of registrar's who deem domain names like bitcoin or sst ,as needed to be banned.
So much so as it was registered for 2-3 days & and then taken away.

•••
Well, ssh is a protocol name and these are "banned" in some other registries as well (but usually they are just blocked from registration, .pt handling of these cases is really bad), but as for bitcoin, I really don't know what they're thinking...

•••
Yesterday it was forbidden & now it has been registered by somebody in France. Does that make sense?

Attachments

• pt.PNG
    pt.PNG
    29 KB · Views: 229
•••
And it was re-registered at OVH..
I think the forbidden status was similar to a one-day "pending delete"

Domain: bitcoin.pt
Domain Status: Registered
Creation Date: 01/12/2020 08:01:09
Expiration Date: 01/12/2021 08:01:09
Owner Name:
Owner Address:
Owner Locality:
Owner ZipCode:
Owner Locality ZipCode:
Owner Country Code:
Owner Email:
Admin Name: OVH, Société par Actions Simplifiée
Admin Address: 2 rue Kellermann
Admin Locality: Roubaix Cedex 1
Admin ZipCode: 59100
Admin Locality ZipCode: Roubaux
Admin Country Code: FR
Admin Email: [email protected]
Name Server: dns113.ovh.net | IPv4: and IPv6:
Name Server: ns113.ovh.net | IPv4: and IPv6:

•••
What is OVH ? Sorry but am not an expert. Just saw on Google that its a French hosting company.

•••
What is OVH ? Sorry but am not an expert. Just saw on Google that its a French hosting company.
OVH is one of the leading registrars in Europe, at least for EU users. (And even more in France/Belgium)
They are also one of the biggest for everything hosting, and their current goal now is Public cloud (they even renamed themselves OVHCloud)

•••
Well, It does not make sense. I registered at Gandi & now they Inform me that it can only be registered by a company that offers Bitcoin payments (attached) . I have informed them that thats exactly why I bought it as my website keylock.com was going to offer bitcoin payments soon.
Also I registered it as an individual as there was no notice to do so differently.

Attachments

• pt.PNG
    pt.PNG
    36.9 KB · Views: 218
•••
Thanks for the update, Gandi must have checked with the registry in order to provide that response.
It's interesting to note the .PT registry exercises a content control right on some domains in their zone.
This is not really compatible with domain investing unfortunately..

•••
Yesterday it was forbidden & now it has been registered by somebody in France. Does that make sense?

No worries, it's deleted again. ;)
upload_2020-12-2_18-39-45.png

•••
No worries, it's deleted again. ;)
Show attachment 175304
Hahaha, that was predictable
I'm sure someone will try again, and then someone else, and so on
Until one registers it with a BTC related company as the owner contact

•••
Hahaha, that was predictable
I'm sure someone will try again, and then someone else, and so on
Until one registers it with a BTC related company as the owner contact

Pretty sure they will turn down anyone other than the Bitcoin Foundation. :whistle:
Interestingly the name is 'invalid' in com.pt, org.pt, edu.pt - why wouldn't they just make it 'invalid' in the .pt itself and be done with it?

[edit] Nevermind, apparently the Bitcoin Foundation has been dissolved, so I guess no one will ever get it. :xf.grin:

Last edited:
•••
I wrote to them stating that what they were doing is illegal in my opinion. If they had asked me to register as a company I would have done so & if they had needed documents to prove that I was dealing in Bitcoin payments I would have supplied those documents.

I got the following reply (attached) .Also they stated that Bitcoin is a trademark.

Attachments

• pt.PNG
    pt.PNG
    48.1 KB · Views: 245
•••
Excuse me, but what the f***. This is obvious trademark trolling. How was it accepted by EUIPO?! Come on...

https://euipo.europa.eu/eSearch/#details/trademarks/W01288610

It was registered by bitFlyer, a private company headquartered in Tokyo, Japan and founded in 2014. It operates one of the largest cryptocurrency exchanges with 2.5 million users.

Bitcoin exists from ~2008.

•••
Can you register BITCOIN as a trademark ??????? Only Satoshi Nakamoto has the right to trademark this.

Last edited:
•••
Registry handling TM "confusion" is absurd. Even TMCH just warns about trademarks but ultimately leaves the case to the registrant and, well, TM holder...

•••
Their message is hinting at that they can do what they wish. No .pt domains for me anymore.

•••

Attachments

• upload_2021-2-24_19-13-8.png
    upload_2021-2-24_19-13-8.png
    116.1 KB · Views: 53
•••
Back