Dynadot

.tv Premium Names Available at 1pm PT May 1st

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Hi Everyone,

We are about to issue a media alert with the time and location of available premium names. The full text is below. Please let me know via PM if you have any questions, though I will check this thread throughout the day.

Best, Quinn

MEDIA ALERT

Demand Media and eNom to Release Premium .TV Domain Names

Nearly 53,000 Premium Names to be Brought Back to Market May 1

SANTA MONICA, CA AND BELLEVUE, WA, April 30, 2007 — Demand Media, Inc., the next-generation web media company, and its wholly owned subsidiary and largest wholesale registrar, eNom ®, announced today that premium .TV domain names will be made available tomorrow, May1st, at 1:00pm PT. Interested parties can go to www.domainsindemand.tv to register the nearly 53,000 names that have been off the market for close to five months.

In December of last year, Demand Media announced a strategic alliance with VeriSign, Inc. (NASDAQ: VRSN), to leverage Demand Media’s new media platform, industry relationships and web 2.0 expertise to increase .TV registrations. Demand Media is bringing the names to market in conjunction with the release of its proprietary tools to create video-centric websites with social networking with every .TV registration, free of charge.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
The link (www.domainsindemand.tv) takes you to Enom.com so do we need a separate account at Enom.com from the one we have already at Enom.tv?

•••
Quinn,

will Demand Media have any discount offer going on for the premium names tomorrow.......

•••
wow. 53,000 names. I had no idea it was that many.

should be fun!

•••
Hello Quinn,

Thanks for sharing your press release. Can you tell us whether, in addition to the above release, you have planned on a longer term period a media campaign to reach the public audience ? Thank you.

•••
antonis12 said:
wow. 53,000 names. I had no idea it was that many.

should be fun!

probably all 3 letter & numbers (along with '-') names would come up for 50653 (37*37*37) and all two character .TVs come up to 1369 (37*37).

yeah i know some of them are registered but not more than 15%.

Then there are the usual top of the line words of around 1000 and then sanjay.tv is a premium name.so, probably a lot of first names.

so 53,000 is not that bad a number. i hope we can get to see the whole list, at www.TV corp we weren't able to see the whole list.

•••
Quinn

Thanks for the heads up.

I am sure many of here appreciate it.

Good luck for tommorow!

•••
Vimal said:
probably all 3 letter & numbers (along with '-') names would come up for 50653 (37*37*37) and all two character .TVs come up to 1369 (37*37).

yeah i know some of them are registered but not more than 15%.

Then there are the usual top of the line words of around 1000 and then sanjay.tv is a premium name.so, probably a lot of first names.

so 53,000 is not that bad a number. i hope we can get to see the whole list, at www.TV corp we weren't able to see the whole list.

good use of math!

I remember the premium list (not LLL or NNN) being about 3,000 back in Verisign's day so that all makes sense

•••
4pm Eastern time for me.

Let the games begin!

Thanks for the post Quinn.

•••
1:00pm PT

What does it mean?

1:00 of the night or the afternoon (I never remember the meaning of the pm thing) , and what time are you talking about: New York or Los Angeles?
Maybe using a Greenwish time will be better for outside US customers.
I seen several thread asking the same, it's not very clear.

What sort of payment will they accept, some premiums are very expensive.

PayPal, wire, ...?

•••
cybertonic said:
1:00pm PT

What does it mean?

1:00 of the night or the afternoon (I never remember the meaning of the pm thing) , and what time are you talking about: New York or Los Angeles?

Maybe using a Greenwish time will be better for outside US customers.

What sort of payment will they accept, some premiums are very expensive.

PayPal, wire, ...?

Pacific Time

•••
One point on thread, the other a little off, sorry.

First, cannot wait to see, finally, a list of what is and is not a premium name. If nothing else, it should spark the creative side of my brain into making relevant regs.

Second, in regards to this comment above.........

Vimal said:

...............I still don't see how they acquired the right to promote a celebrity's name for profit. If that name was the same cost as any other person's name domain, sure a case could be made that hey, that's just the non discriminating cost. But charging a premium for different names seems like Sanjay would have the right to say, "Hey, how come I have to fork over thousands of dollars for my name, when Joe Average gets his personal name for twenty five bucks?"

Similarly, if I made t-shirts sporting Sanjay's name, and profitted several grand a year from the sale of those shirts, I think he would want a cut. So, why is a premium domain different than a line of t-shirts?

I don't want to derail the conversation, so if someone wants to expand on that, do so in a new thread.

Back on topic, I am very excited about the tools to be released and the efforts in general to make this extension successful. I hope that DM/Enom have extended duration campaigns planned!

•••
•••
i believe 1pm PST = 4pm EST = 9pm GMT.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong...

thanks!

•••
Well RW most personal names are a Amy.tv $500 and he is not the only Sanjay in the world for sure. I will go you one better the NFL dropped NFL and Every team the teams went for $25 but NFL is $7500 instead of normal LLL $500

•••
Thanks to the info above, and some caculations it look likes its':

March 1 - At 22h00 of the night in PARIS time.

This should be usefull for all that live in Europe.

Now how can we pay?

PayPal, check, wire, CB?

•••
Everybody Should Forward Quinns Press Release To Any Media Outlets You Can Think Of, As It All Helps .tv!!!

•••
Taken from the site ...

"Included features in your free ME.TV social networking toolkit:
Design your own Profile (About Me, Avatar, Location, Interests)
Add your Favorite Video Clips plus Comments Ratings
Blog and Blog Comments
Photos and Photo Albums
Friends List
On-Site Messaging
Forums with Photos and Polls
Add and rate your Favorite .TV Channels
Video Tag Cloud
And much more!
Whether you want one place to share all your videos, start an online community for your favorite band, or a photo gallery for friends and family, it's easier than ever to create your own online media destination. "

Are these the tools that we have been waiting so anxiously for ???
1) Design your own Profile (About Me, Avatar, Location, Interests) <-- Isn't this basically a web page for a users profiile ??

2) Add your Favorite Video Clips plus Comments Ratings <-- Isn't this simply embedding existing video found on the web ??

3) Blog and Blog Comments <-- Aren't there enough blog sites where people can create their blogs ??

4) Photos and Photo Albums <-- Flikr and all the other online galleries ??

5) Friends List <--- WTF ??

6) On-Site Messaging <-- MSN or Yahoo anyone ??

7) Forums with Photos and Polls <-- Aren't there several forum scripts and programs out there that are all ready well established ??

8) Add and rate your Favorite .TV Channels <-- Is it me, or does this sound a little like a link directory with voting and rating allowed ??

9) Video Tag Cloud <-- Tag cloud scripts can easily be found all over the net

10) And much more! <--- What else is there ???

From my own point of view, all of these tools are more than easily available on the web, and don't really help with regards to one creating their own channel.

Where are the tools for uploading and converting video clips ?? The whole promotion of this big 1st May exposure is that .tv is the new rich medium for websites. But from the items mentioned, these are and have been readily available for a long time now.

I seriously hope that their tools will include some features that will make it easier for us to publish our video content, rather than allowing me to make a profile page where I can embed a video clip from YouTube.

Alex

•••
Alex myself and SKG have been telling people for a long time these are not end user tools these are: Hi my name is Britney I love hanging at the mall and uploading pics me and my friends take of guys and puppies on myspace and youtube. I got my own TV channel now check out Britneys.tv

•••
alex_d,

From what I understand these tools will all be available under the same "umbrella" and should be very user friendly.

Let's not judge what has of yet not been described.

•••
Converting and Compressing video and other data costs money and expertise you are not getting that for $24.99

•••
At this point we need to do two things:

#1. Wait to see what the tools actually are, which we should find out within the next 24 hours or so.

#2. After reviewing all tools, provide feeback for quinn and Demand Media.
I highly doubt that any limitations in the tools will be an end all be all, I imagine upgrades and expansions with the tools will occur over the year and who knows, it wouldnt surprise me if Demand buys another company or gets involved with another software developer.

The one question I still have is about storage space and bandwidth...

equity78 said:
Alex myself and SKG have been telling people for a long time these are not end user tools these are: Hi my name is Britney I love hanging at the mall and uploading pics me and my friends take of guys and puppies on myspace and youtube. I got my own TV channel now check out Britneys.tv

LOL That is a funny description

•••
I am not judging anything at all yet. It just seems that these "tools" are nothing more than scripts and programs you can readily find online.

As for the upload/compression, I do realise that there is definately a higher cost in that than the $24.99 we are paying for the domains, but it would be useful I think, if they might be able to provide some additional "paid for" options, that could help out those of us who are trying their best NOT to make a page like your Britney.tv example.

Alex

•••
equity78 said:

Really very funny but you are right. Not sure anyone could afford to give away much more than that.

•••
I know you know ALEX and you are doing a good job with development, I think thr ambiguity with what the tools do has gotten people to maybe be expecting too much.

Good points on Bandwidth and storage

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back