IT.COM

Problems, Bugs and Fixes at Afternic - Report Problems Here

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
I suggest a new thread titled Problems, Bugs and Fixes at Afternic - Report Problems Here. Then we can all list our issues so Afternic have to fix them. These Afternic probs have been repeatedly flagged up across numerous threads on here over a period of time, including the need for 2FA. Godaddy own Afternic and have the resources and motivation to fix it - this risky mess is unacceptable and reflects badly on their brand.

For info, Afternic keep reverting some of my domains to "In Review" status for no reason, and I only know that if I log in there to check on them. Until I then ask support to take them out of Review they are not listed for sale and will not sell at Afternic.

@Joe Styler When can we expect Godaddy to take action on Afternic, including implementing 2FA?

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
After usually having to wait 4-7 days to get a reply from customer support, there was a period in fall 2017 where I seemed to get replies within 3-4 days, which was a good improvement. But after getting better for a while, customer support has been deteriorating again. Over the past 6 weeks I've gotten either no response or really delayed replies after contacting customer support - [email protected] - usually at least 5-10 days before hearing anything. And to get any kind of answer I often have to follow up or re-send the email, otherwise I just don't hear back at all. Most recent email I sent to customer towards the end of 2017 didn't get a response until yesterday; and that was after I had sent them a follow up reminding them to reply, without which I would likely not have gotten any response. I don't think 5-10 days to get a reply, or no reply at all unless you re-send or follow up, is satisfactory, and I hope to see serious improvements in this area in 2018.

I've seen Joe state several times that 90% of emails to [email protected] are usually replied to within 24 hours and that they are tracked, so emails don't go unanswered - I think only about 3-5% of my emails to Afternic have gotten a response within 24 hours and a higher number than what is acceptable go unanswered (until I re-send the email, telling them to reply because they've already ignored it first time I sent it - that usually gets them to reply, but why not just reply first time around?). I find it odd that I'm consistently in the 10% that don't get a response within 24 hours, and usually get a reply after 4, 7, 9 days, or no reply at all.

Anyone else constantly in the delayed 10% that almost never get a quick reply from Afternic CS? Or are other users here actually getting a reply from support within 24 hours, 90% of the time?

•••
I have no problem with Afternic in 2018. Great customer service, quick response time, I really appreciate it.

•••
@Arca They seem to take anywhere from 2 to 6 days to respond to me, roughly.

•••
I see no noticeable changes with the speed of afternic replies. They do reply on the 3rd business day on average (at least this is my experience), and the reply may or may not be adequate. More frequently, the replies are having at least something to do with the issue though, which by itself is a good sign. One thing I found is - never, never ask them about two separate (or even related issues) in one email. They'd usually select one issue and ignore the second.

One exception I remember was a correspondece with ta@ (transaction assurance) I had about a particular non-fasttransfer sale, the replies were almost instant. But it was not a service@ email we are using for day-to-day communications.

Last edited:
•••
After usually having to wait 4-7 days to get a reply from customer support, there was a period in fall 2017 where I seemed to get replies within 3-4 days, which was a good improvement. But after getting better for a while, customer support has been deteriorating again. Over the past 6 weeks I've gotten either no response or really delayed replies after contacting customer support - ...all.

Anyone else constantly in the delayed 10% that almost never get a quick reply from Afternic CS? Or are other users here actually getting a reply from support within 24 hours, 90% of the time?
It may be something with your email address. Next time you email support please cc your account rep and have them keep an eye on the email and the time frame so they can follow exactly what happens and see if there is an issue.

•••
@Joe Styler - Thanks. Could you clarify these two questions? I'm sure your answer would be helpful to other users too:

1. Could you clarify the difference between the payout options of wire transfer and eCheck at Afternic? There doesn't seem to be much difference other than lower transaction fees and lower payout threshold for eCheck over wire transfer. Wire is of course available for international users, but it appears that eCheck is also available to international users. What reasons are there for choosing one over the other? Which payment method would you recommend for international payouts?

2. Is there any way for us to control when we want to get paid and which payout option we want to use for each payment? For example, at Name Silo and BrandBucket, you can select specifically which domains you want to get paid for by checking a box next to the domain and selecting the desired payout actions, such as getting paid for them separately at different times or at the same time in one lump sum, and also how we want to get paid, such as by wire/PP - so if you are waiting for five payments, you could get two sent out by paypal and three via wire, and you could control how they are sent out, for example I generally prefer to not get large amounts sent to my PayPal account at once (I prefer to delay some of the funds by not getting paid for all the domains at the same time or divide the funds between PP and wire payouts for separate names). However, I have not figured out any way to deal with this at Afternic. From my experience it appears there is no way to control payouts and they just accumulate for some time and then they are all paid out simultaneously to whatever is the default payment method at that moment. Ideally we could have some more control over our domain sales payouts.

Could you shed some light on whether there is currently any way to take more control over how our payouts are being made, other than setting the default payout method and getting an automatic payment of all payouts at once?

•••
1. Basically they act the same. Some countries only allow one or the other. Some allow both. Some banks prefer to receive money one certain way so we give as many options as we can.
2. No - no way to do that and probably not one coming in the near future.

•••
As for payments, imho there is something for GD to consider. I understand that GoDaddy is not in position to deal with bitcoins etc. because of an intention to set rebills, something that is possible for credit cards but impossible for bitcoins. I can understand this position, as rebills are the key and have always been. However, this policy indirectly affects aftermarket transactions unfortunately.

Of course GD and Afternic will have to implements this extra pay-in / payout method earlier or later, as soon as it becomes obvious that an income is lost due to competing marketplaces and registrars offering something that GD does not.

So, why not to implement it today at least for aftermarket transactions?

•••
We always look at things. We talk about payments all the time. In fact in two minutes I am in another meeting about them. I don't think anything is going to change in the near future on them.

•••
@Joe Styler - Is the sales payment method determined by the default payment method at the time of sale or at the time payment is scheduled by the system?

Say for example my default payment is PayPal and I sell five domains. If I change my payout to wire transfer after they have sold (but prior to payment being scheduled by the system), will the sales proceeds for these five domains be sent to me via PayPal or wire?

•••
There are a couple caveats but broadly speaking at the time of sale. You can contact support after the sale either at [email protected] or [email protected] depending on where it sold and ask them to update the payment after the sale but before payment is issued. You must already have another payee account (ie another valid way to get paid) prior to contacting support for help.

•••
@JoeStyler

I can not see any option at Afternic to remove Fast Transfer status from a domain. Can you advise on how that should be done?

•••
Domains exported from Afternic into a spreadsheet have a column headed Listing Status.

What do the numeric codes there correspond to?

I can't see that any correspond to In Review - could we have column to indicate which are In Review, otherwise to find them it is hell going through page after page in the awful interface on the site that shows only 50 per page,

•••
Hello

I have a domain listed on afternic... It usually shows available for sale on the godaddy platform... I noticed yesterday that it showed “Domain taken".... Although the status on afternic still shows Listed.... What might have caused this?..

•••
@JoeStyler

I can not see any option at Afternic to remove Fast Transfer status from a domain. Can you advise on how that should be done?
You can do both by contacting [email protected] they can let you know what is in review status and what is fast transfer and how to remove that. If you have more than a couple hundred domains pm me and I will give you someone who can help you with bulk listings.

•••
Hello

I have a domain listed on afternic... It usually shows available for sale on the godaddy platform... I noticed yesterday that it showed “Domain taken".... Although the status on afternic still shows Listed.... What might have caused this?..
Could be a glitch, it might be a lot of things. If you have the specific name you can have [email protected] take a look at it.

•••
Could u help me look into d name cos a buyer just complained of this from his end....

I will pm u

•••
You can do both by contacting [email protected] they can let you know what is in review status and what is fast transfer and how to remove that. If you have more than a couple hundred domains pm me and I will give you someone who can help you with bulk listings.

Joe, thanks for the reply.

But surely it is more efficient for Afternic to just put into the customer's export spreadsheet the data Afternic already hold, namely current Fast Transfer status and In Review status?

Repeated individual contact requests to Afternic support to obtain that data just cannot be quick or efficient for anyone concerned.

Last edited:
•••
Domains exported from Afternic into a spreadsheet have a column headed Listing Status.

What do the numeric codes there correspond to?

What is the point of including that column with numeric status codes if there is no list to reference telling us the meaning of each code?

@Joe Styler please can we have a list of the codes and their meanings.

•••
The guy I can easily ask is not in the office yet so I just did an export of my listings and from that I can see that all the ones with a 3 in that column are fast transfer and the ones with a 2 are slow transfer. Or 3 is premium network and 2 is standard network. https://www.afternic.com/sell-domains I don't see any of my sold names on the list and I don't currently have any in review/hold. So if you see any other numbers besides 2 or 3 on your spreadsheet look on your dashboard and see what status the domain is in there and then that would be what that number means.

•••
Can anyone recommend a better landing page provider with contact details capture form? We're looking to move away from afternic/smartname as a lot of difficulties unresolved.

•••
Can anyone recommend a better landing page provider with contact details capture form? We're looking to move away from afternic/smartname as a lot of difficulties unresolved.
Undeveloped, Efty, Bodis

•••
Afternic seems to have reverted to having to prompt them to add your domain to Fast Transfer after BIN/Floor is set. Not happening by itself or quickly these days.

I am having to send in a support ticket every time I set a new price BIN/Floor on a domain, to kickstart the Fast Transfer process. Then within a day or two I get an email from AN that they have "reinitiated opt-in for the domain," followed later by the emails from AN and my registrar DynaDot prompting me to go to my DD account and click to enable the Afternic Fast Transfer. In other words, this process is not happening automatically lately.

Also, lately I am not always getting the Price Requested on your AfternicDLS Domain emails / notifications - I login to my AN account and notice a price request on a domain that is a few days old.

Last edited:
•••
Another issue is that twice now this year, with domains of mine that have sold at Afternic, I have had to push them manually at DynaDot even though Fast Transfer to AN has already been set and ready.

So the Fast Transfer system, this year so far, is not working at all.

•••
Another issue is that twice now this year, with domains of mine that have sold at Afternic, I have had to push them manually at DynaDot even though Fast Transfer to AN has already been set and ready.
Experiencing the same problem. Most fast-transfer enabled names don't fast-transfer recently (though I've sold a few names in 2018 where fast-transfer worked).

Names get opted out for no apparent reason.

Newly listed names don't get opt in emails, or get the emails scattered out over a longer period of time.

I just received an opt-in email for a domain I already opted in last year. I opted in again. I logged on to Afternic to see the status and it says "pending sale" for that domain, but that it is not opted in. Overall it appears that the system is not working as it should.

Hopefully Afternic is aware of these issues.

•••
Back