Dynadot

Problem with HugeDomains.com

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

I Heart Noise

Established Member
Impact
Registered on this forum to confirm - Huge Domains are scumbags. I'm surprised no one sued them out of existence

They currently hold my old domain for 1,800 and when I asked them about negotiation they told me "Buy it now and we'll give you a 100$ discount"

Um, thanks?

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I think @I Heart Noise is frustrated because HD grabbed a name that probably has no end user. It may have a bit of traffic stemming from past development but will it ever sell ? Doubtful.
Had he dropped a name like ihn.com, he would understand that HD or another entity would have caught the name because it is valuable. And they would ask a lot of money for it. But a random 5L.com ?

Sorry @I Heart Noise, it's nothing personal here, just business.
I am not a fan of HD personally but what they are doing is more or less what we are doing on a much smaller scale. I have bought hundreds of expired domains and it is inevitable that among those a few may have dropped accidentally. But the majority are clearly abandoned - I have seldom heard from the previous owner.

Many years ago, I dropped a few valuable names, because I didn't realize the value back then (and the value of traffic). I have learned my lesson.

Obviously you've been asleep at the wheel. Domains don't drop in one day. It means you probably stopped working on your site for a while, otherwise you would have noticed it was no longer working. Now that the domain dropped, I would guess the ranking will suffer anyway.

I think the the best course of action would be draw the lessons from this unfortunate experience and maybe consider rebranding yourself. In my opinion you are going to switch from a poor name to a worse name. I understand you rely more on backlinks than word of mouth but the name is not very memorable.
Also, iheartnoise.com is in use, so branding yourself as 'I Heart Noise' is not a good idea. I don't know which of the two came first but I would want a more distinctive identity.

I had I Heart Noise for 10 years now - rebranding is completely out of question. This is my identity now, for better or worse and its more than just a blog name, since I also do a lot of other things around IHN (live shows, label etc)

I also have 7k followers on Twitter, so I strongly disagree with "none of it is memorable" - never heard any indication that any of them want me to rebrand. In fact I tried starting out under a different name and none of it stuck

Last edited:
•••
The rankings did dropped, but traffic is coming back slowly (much of it social media, but I also saw search engine traffic picking up lately)

I did plenty of work on SEO/navigation/pulling together content from various sources etc in the last month - old website had ton of issues with all those things and it was very slow, so, again, I feel that rebranding will only hurt me at this point

Last edited:
•••
Fun fact - Phil Blankenship from Troniks gave me a blessing to use the name I Heart Noise

Technically iheartnoise.com is theirs, but the name itself is not trademarked or copyrighted and he/they don't mind it being used elsewhere

Last edited:
•••
Fun fact - Phil Blankenship from Troniks gave me a blessing to use the name I Heart Noise

Technically iheartnoise.com is theirs, but the name itself is not trademarked or copyrighted and he/they don't mind it being used elsewhere

Here are a couple of wacky ideas that you may like:

- an emoji domain: I❤️NOISE.WS, probably also available in .to, I don’t know of any other extensions that accept emojis.
- a domain hack: iheartnoi.se is also available

If your traffic is mainly online, via clicks from social media as opposed to direct type-ins, then I wouldn’t worry about losing traffic to the .com. In my humble opinion both options are easier to memorize/draw attention than either ihrtn.com and .net...

•••
Here are a couple of wacky ideas that you may like:

- an emoji domain: I❤️NOISE.WS, probably also available in .to, I don’t know of any other extensions that accept emojis.
- a domain hack: iheartnoi.se is also available

If your traffic is mainly online, via clicks from social media as opposed to direct type-ins, then I wouldn’t worry about losing traffic to the .com. In my humble opinion both options are easier to memorize/draw attention than either ihrtn.com and .net...

Interesting!

Thank you for suggestions - haven't thought about either of those...

•••
Interesting!

Thank you for suggestions - haven't thought about either of those...

Also, an option that is completely unpopular among domainers but I think is worth considering if you already have an established traffic base:

Hyphens. I-H-N is available at the time of this post - still five characters as your original ihrtn but even clearer in my opinion

Last edited:
•••
Thanks again! Great food for thought

•••
I think HugeDomains should double the price for your domain and renew it for 10 years now that you have written 49 posts slagging off their company and their industry, personally.

Not really gone about this the right way if you wanted to appeal to their better nature and get a substantial discount. You've already driven loads of traffic to the landing page.

Let it go.

•••
I think HugeDomains should double the price for your domain and renew it for 10 years now that you have written 49 posts slagging off their company and their industry, personally.

Not really gone about this the right way if you wanted to appeal to their better nature and get a substantial discount. You've already driven loads of traffic to the landing page.

Let it go.

I'm sorry - you sound like you work for Huge Domains. Do you?

I'm not the only to start a thread about them on NamePros yet you single me out all the time

What is wrong with you?

Last edited:
•••
Priceless, just priceless

I can tell I'll lose out after not being able to see messages from people defending HD to death, no matter what

•••
I dont see nothing special in this domain.
I wouldnt even reg .net
Just find another one, more easy to remember and in .com
And visit all day HD to make them think you have interes in that domain, make them renewal it.

•••
Another advice - forget about GD, reg with Namesilo.com and there you get 30 days to renewal your expired domain at a normal reg fee price.

•••

I can tell I'll lose out after not being able to see messages from people defending HD to death, no matter what
They dont defend HD, they are against YOU.
HD represents domainers, and you are a potencial end user, they dont like potencial buyers like you.
They dont care about HD, they just cant be on YOUR side

•••
iheartnoise.com is taken, so that's out of the question, though it would've been nice if I had it

iheartnoise is available in net, org and several other extensions. It's say iheartnoise.net is much more superior to ihrtn.net (I think that's your new domain, or substitute it with your new .net domain)

I still think its a rip-off/sh*tty business when someone tells you "If you'll order now we'll sell it to you for just 1,700"

Why? Did they scam you to obtain the domain? Do they own the domain fraudulently? Why is a price that is desirable to you fine but a price that is desirable to them shitty and a rip-off? So anything that's expensive is shitty business just because you don't want to pay their price?

when they know there's no way in hell you can afford that as a small guy

Do you know how many "corporations" send inquiries or offers as a poor student/blogger/take your pick of the small guy? Why should they believe you OR, give out their legitimately acquired domain for a random, reduced price?

Oh, btw, I'm a small guy. Do you think Apple would give me their top of the line MacBook pro that costs >$2000 for say $20? I'm a small guy so it must be pretty shitty of Apple to give only a $50 discount occassionally even though I want the MBP for $20 :(

Ps. On another thread you mentioned that you're being slammed (presumably on this thread). Objectively, look at the situation, your behavior and replies on this thread and you might see. Yes, it might not be fair for HD to charge a price that you cannot afford but neither is it scummy, nor is it a rip-off. They have not scammed you, they are not holding you hostage nor have they illegimately acquired your domain. You made a mistake (of letting your domain expire) and they capitalized on it. But it wasn't personally targeted at you. That is their business, say similar to buying a real-estate site whose owner dies without a heir or which is foreclosed.

•••
Can't see what the annoying man is saying because I put him on ignore, but I agree with the above.... everybody is poor / a student / a struggling small business / the little guy when they are buying something.

Not sure why being poor entitles anybody to anything. I'm not very wealthy, do you think I should go to a Mercedes showroom and tell them that they should only charge me the price of a Skoda? :xf.grin:

•••
•••

I understand why you're upset but you need to acknowledge your own negligence.

Domains stop resolving for 30 days before they delete. During the 30 days, your website / email wasn't working, you could have renewed the domain for less than $20.

Huge Domains hasn't done anything wrong. You have a better domain now and should move on.

•••
They dont defend HD, they are against YOU.
HD represents domainers, and you are a potencial end user, they dont like potencial buyers like you.
They dont care about HD, they just cant be on YOUR side
Funny, I was just thinking the same thing. :-D

•••
I didn't realize this was an old thread.

•••
•••
got to say this thread has been very amusing and even moreso that the domain was released and re-bought by afternic!!

•••
got to say this thread has been very amusing and even moreso that the domain was released and re-bought by afternic!!
yes, the ex domain owner made very good promo campaign and made the domain valuable.
he just had to sit quite and wait for domain.. it oculd take 1-2 years and now it can be 3-4 years to wait for handreg..

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back