IT.COM

advice Premium Domain Charges - What's acceptable?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Ericmac

Established Member
Impact
I have had a domain name for fifteen plus years... It's 'mclean.co'

Now my register (Namecheap) is indicating that my domain is a premium and should get premium renewal charges... and I can no longer register the domain for more than one year at a time.

Can anyone shed any light on this?

Why should I suddenly become 'premium' ??

This whole industry seems to do whatever it likes. It's like a gun to your head.

Which is the best, most reliable and transparent domain register?? Are they all ripping people off behind the scenes??

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
2018 NPros thread (att followup email from Neustar)

Hi
Thanks for posting that link

i was aware of that maneuver by Neustar,
particularly when many expired .co domains now had premium registration costs,
ie: $120 for some one word and LLL names.

still, waiting for OP to clarify communication from registrar, though

imo...

•••
So can .co registry change the renewal prices of existing premium domains just like that ?

If so what will happen to those big .co bag holders

By the way what is the premium renewal price ?

It was not so expensive. Don't imagine a huge sum for mclean.co
But it came up on my renewals as 'Premium' and didn't allow any more than one year registration at a time.

When I asked why they argued it wasn't them, it was the Registry.

•••
Hi
Thanks for posting that link

i was aware of that maneuver by Neustar,
particularly when many expired .co domains now had premium registration costs,
ie: $120 for some one word and LLL names.

still, waiting for OP to clarify communication from registrar, though

imo...

Crazy... this is the thin end of the wedge, i'm afraid.

•••
How much does it cost to renew my .CO premium domain name?

Whatever premium price you may have initially paid to register your .CO premium domain name, your annual renewal fee will be the “standard” renewal fee charged for all .CO domain names. Please check with your preferred domain retailer for details, as fees may differ according to each retailer’s individual pricing policies and practices.
[/QUOTE]

Thanks for this.

•••
How much does it cost to renew my .CO premium domain name?

Whatever premium price you may have initially paid to register your .CO premium domain name, your annual renewal fee will be the “standard” renewal fee charged for all .CO domain names. Please check with your preferred domain retailer for details, as fees may differ according to each retailer’s individual pricing policies and practices.

Thanks for this.[/QUOTE]

While .co is officially the ccTLD of Colombia, think of it as an open ccTLD or nGTLD (unregulated pricing). The .co goal (registry pricing model) was / is to attract dedicated business users (developed domains) vs $1 reg-bait strategy (mostly undeveloped domains). In short, any (registrar/reseller) marketer of open ccTLD/TLD can change the pricing model or play with the prices; on-the-fly.

Last edited:
•••
Is this only for .CO or other extensions also?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back