IT.COM

advice Premium Domain Charges - What's acceptable?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Ericmac

Established Member
Impact
I have had a domain name for fifteen plus years... It's 'mclean.co'

Now my register (Namecheap) is indicating that my domain is a premium and should get premium renewal charges... and I can no longer register the domain for more than one year at a time.

Can anyone shed any light on this?

Why should I suddenly become 'premium' ??

This whole industry seems to do whatever it likes. It's like a gun to your head.

Which is the best, most reliable and transparent domain register?? Are they all ripping people off behind the scenes??

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
How have you owned a .co for 15 years?

It is unacceptable for any existing registrations to ever be classified as "premium" renewals imo.

Brad

•••
Not sure, I've never personally held a domain for 15 years straight

Dynadot treat me good, so does NameCheap. Best asking their support about this

Last edited:
•••

It is unacceptable for any existing registrations to ever be classified as "premium" renewals imo.

Brad
Hi Brad... Yes, I got this name domain before I met my wife.. and we have been married 14 years!! Thats how I measure time these days. :)

"It is unacceptable for any existing registrations to ever be classified as "premium" renewals imo."

Thats my thoughts exactly. But they claim it's not set by them, but by The Registry.

•••
Not sure, I've never personally held a domain for 15 years straight

Dynadot treat me good, so does NameCheap. Best asking their support about this

I asked, they said it was not them, but the Registry. The other thing, I am not allowed to register more than one year at a time. The additional years box is greyed out. When I asked why, they told me it was because it was a Premium Domain Name.

•••

Brad
My bad... I exaggerated the time... according to Whois ... 2010-07-20 11 years coming up :)

•••
@Ericmac Interesting. I don't have a good answer for you, sadly. I've had Dynadot say similar stuff to me in the past, regarding fairly premium domains / limited renewal situations

•••
@Ericmac Interesting. I don't have a good answer for you, sadly. I've had Dynadot say similar stuff to me in the past, regarding fairly premium domains / limited renewal situations

@jhm I used to renew my mclean names (I have maclean.co also) for three years ... The fact that they can just change this requirement says a lot about the industry.

•••
The problem is you got the name before you met your wife.
You should get the name AFTER you met your wife so there will be no problem.

•••
The problem is you got the name before you met your wife.
You should get the name AFTER you met your wife so there will be no problem.

If only she was renewable option every year... and as cheap. :)

•••
•••
•••
Don't worry. Eventually she'll expire.

If only I could forget to renew...

Sadly expiration isn't an option ... she is 22 years younger :)
I think I will be long gone.

•••
So can .co registry change the renewal prices of existing premium domains just like that ?

If so what will happen to those big .co bag holders

By the way what is the premium renewal price ?

Last edited:
•••
co renewal.png

source : go.co

•••
My bad... I exaggerated the time... according to Whois ... 2010-07-20 11 years coming up :)
I hope you didn't confuse your wife with some other woman

I think it would be borderline fraud to start charging for a name premium prices once someone owns it.

•••
Now my register (Namecheap) is indicating that my domain is a premium and should get premium renewal charges... and I can no longer register the domain for more than one year at a time.

Hi

how were you informed, via email?
if so, can you post screenshot

imo...

•••
If this was a Registry decision - then it's going to pull down the value of .co domains no end. If it's a Registrar decision, Start the domain moving/transfer process to another service and see what the renewal costs and period restraints are.

Let us know how it pans out

Last edited:
•••
$0. “Premium” renewals make it 💩

ALL Premium renewals’ are a farce.!!!

.com costs $8 a year to renew, ALL.(!!)

Spend $xxx-$xxxx annually for non-com LLOL

Last edited:
•••
@DirkS Can you be anymore brutal? Lol

I promise to give it my best shot next time 😉 *

* Truth is, I love my wife dearly. You know men, they complain but would be nowhere without the support of the significant other :)

If only I could forget to renew...

Sadly expiration isn't an option ... she is 22 years younger :)
I think I will be long gone.

Seems like you've got a good thing going on :) Either way, doesn't matter. The moment you expire you'll be free from any burden anyway :)

On subject though, if that is a registrar issued increase (namecheap) it's outrageous. I imagine they're just passing on the price increase and renewal restrictions from the registry.

If that's the case, people should take note. Please keep us updated. We have a namecheap representative on here ( @tamar ) , maybe she could clarify.

•••
Check the source of the email sender, I think this is what biggie was alluding to. Sounds like an odd one. Like, random .co's being premiumnized suddenly, and restrictions on adding years to renewals?

Be aware on a scam email. According to another reputable registrar, its a regular renewal for this domain.

•••
If this was a Registry decision - then it's going to pull down the value of .co domains no end. If it's a Registrar decision, Start the domain moving/transfer process to another service and see what the renewal costs and period restraints are.

Let us know how it pans out

Wasn't the .co Registry bought by Godaddy?

# Few, if nothing good, is offered by GoDaddy.

Samer

Last edited:
•••
Wasn't the .co Registry bought by Godaddy?

# Few, if nothing good, is offered by GoDaddy.

Samer

I would like more info about this. If the registry is changing existing registrations to a "premium" status and raising the renewal prices that is not acceptable.

There is a chance this is also a registrar issue.

GoDaddy stopped carrying all of Frank Schilling's extensions when they pulled this shit with raising registration and renewal prices, including on existing registrations.

Uniregistry backtracks on price hike on existing registrations

https://domainnamewire.com/2017/04/03/uniregistry-backtracks-price-hike-existing-registrations/

Brad

Last edited:
•••
https://www.go.co/faqs/premium-domains/

How much does it cost to renew my .CO premium domain name?

Whatever premium price you may have initially paid to register your .CO premium domain name, your annual renewal fee will be the “standard” renewal fee charged for all .CO domain names. Please check with your preferred domain retailer for details, as fees may differ according to each retailer’s individual pricing policies and practices.

Last edited:
•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back