Dynadot

.tv "Portalis" buying spree - Business.TV, Home.TV, Guide.TV, Christmas.TV, etc

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
I think this topic deserves a thread of its own:

Portalis.com went on a buying spree during the SEDO auction.

$100,999 Business.TV
$41,000 Learn.TV
$32,000 Christmas.TV
$31,000 Home.TV
$29,500 Guide.TV
$25,500 Job.TV
$20,500 Jobs.TV
and possibly more...

imho, small price to pay to enter the game and grab a foothold.

Hopefully all the bs regarding the SEDO auction can finally be put to rest as we can see that there was a nice mix of domainers & endusers partaking in the SEDO auction. Some domains will be developed, some will be be parked, some will be flipped... and the industry moves on. PORTALIS would definitely qualify as an enduser, they have a developed portfolio of other TLDs... and apparently have banked on .TV for their expansion plans. I'm excited to see what they have planned for the .TV space.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Great info... Mr Rhee... Thanks.

•••
Great info... Mr Rhee... Thanks.

thanks... I've had my whois alerts setup since the auction ended.

Let's add more PORTALIS acquisitions as we find them...

•••
I surprised with all they bought, they did not obtain Germany.tv since they are a german company. Anyways, it will be fun following them to see what they do.

Thanks, Jim

•••
Link please? :blink:

This recent and seemingly isolated, and very narrow scope of "buyer" demand in this one publicized venue for Premium (and developable) .TV's is now even more concerning at first blush, IMHO. :guilty:

Regards,
Jeff B-)

Last edited:
•••
•••
Atypical - Baited. Hooked. :)

It's good news that the transfer has taken place. Looking forward to see what developments take place. Heavy investment from a company in a vertical search niche - this could be very interesting. I wonder if someone could persuade them to comment in a forum somewhere on their plans. It could be very interesting.

Hopefully somewhere other than Namepros where forward thinking people are often chewed out by domainers who don't think "business plans" but "short term ROI".

I'll keep my eyes open

•••
They also purchased:

Beauty.tv
Book.tv
Shows.tv
Show.tv
Real.tv
Vacation.tv
Fantasy.tv
Coupons.tv
Finance.tv
Lifestyle.tv
Beach.tv
City.tv
Shops.tv

Best,
A

I don't understand. Why is that more concerning? Clearly, they are developers. It appears vertical search is their specialty. And they weren't the sole bidders in the Sedo .TV auction... evidently they just wanted it more, and bid accordingly.

Portalis Group - vertical search engines | make your needs come true

Last edited:
•••
Portalis.com went on a buying spree during the SEDO auction.

$100,999 Business.TV
$41,000 Learn.TV
$32,000 Christmas.TV
$31,000 Home.TV
$29,500 Guide.TV
$25,500 Job.TV
$20,500 Jobs.TV
and possibly more...

They also purchased:

Beauty.tv
Book.tv
Shows.tv
Show.tv
Real.tv
Vacation.tv
Fantasy.tv
Coupons.tv
Finance.tv
Lifestyle.tv
Beach.tv
City.tv
Shops.tv

^ We'd need to see more information in order to more thoroughly and accurately assess, IMHO. :gl:

Regards,
Jeff B-)

Last edited:
•••
Link please? :blink:

This recent and seemingly isolated, and very narrow scope of "buyer" demand in this one publicized venue for Premium (and developable) .TV's is now even more concerning at first blush, IMHO. :guilty:

Regards,
Jeff B-)

LOL. Are you kidding me? Make up your mind :laugh:

So much doublespeak Jeff... if a domain is bought by a domainer: BAD; bought by a developer/enduser: BAD...

Throughout the SEDO auction you tried to spread doubt that the auction meant nothing unless endusers acquired the domains... well guess what? LOL. Now you're trying to put a negative spin on your own qualifiers.

Good luck with that.

This developer has banked heavily on .TV and IMHO based on their previous development efforts I suspect they have development plans for the domains they bought. I consider this great news for most .TV domainers... except for those who can't make up their mind what qualifies as good news because they are on a smear campaign.

Hmmm... I wish there was a word to describe someone who spreads fear, doubt, DISinformation... all masked as "CONCERN" ;)

•••
This developer has banked heavily on .TV and IMHO based on their previous development efforts I suspect they have development plans for the domains they bought. I consider this great news for most .TV domainers... except for those who can't make up their mind what qualifies as good news because they are on a smear campaign.

As many are aware, I have been using the DNJ as the 'official source' regarding "reported sales" of recent Sedo auction .TV's ... my hope is that the DNJ will be publishing additional information due to the fact that such a large % of these :$: Premium .TV's were apparently acquired from this one venue by ONE "buyer/developer" (including the sale specifics, and the extent of their development and promotion plans, etc.) :gl:

I am pretty sure that I am not the only one intrigued by this anticipated latest revelation, and thus reasonably requesting more info/link(s) on the specifics of these "sales" / "End user" IMHO.

Thanks for understanding,
Jeff B-)

Last edited:
•••
I hate being negative but it would be best for .tv in general all these domains owned by several different individuals(domainers or endusers) than just one.

•••
I hate being negative but it would be best for .tv in general all these domains owned by several different individuals(domainers or endusers) than just one.

...not being negatory at all, Makis.

However, should each and everyone of these names be developed, it just plain can't hurt this extension either...especially with the way things are going in an upward direction

•••
Forgive me if I seem obtuse. In my experience, words and punctuation both have meaning. What does wrapping "sales" in quotation marks imply? Are you suggesting the sales aren't real?

•••
^ We'd need to see more information in order to more thoroughly and accurately assess, ...
Why??? Will it encourage you to buy into .tv?? Or just so you can keep adding more of your 'rubber-room-patient' questions about another extension that you don't own, or will buy into, but can 'justify' to your sanctioners as being 'interested' in?? :rolleyes:

•••

Agreed. :yell: :imho:

All the best,
Jeff B-)

•••
...not being negatory at all, Makis.

However, should each and everyone of these names be developed, it just plain can't hurt this extension either...especially with the way things are going in an upward direction
I foresee only a small fraction of those being developed as real websites(2 or 3) and rest parked or dev'ed as mini websites.

It would be very interesting to have Portalis rep expalin their business plan.

•••
I foresee only a small fraction of those being developed as real websites(2 or 3) and rest parked or dev'ed as mini websites.

^ Exactly, and I think all of these Premium .TV's could have potentially been acquired (by one person/entity) for a lot :$: LESS, as well! :red: :imho:

Look forward to more information,
Jeff B-)

Last edited:
•••
^ Exactly, and I think all of these Premium .TV's could have potentially been acquired (by one person/entity) for a lot :$: LESS, as well! :red: :imho:

Look forward to more information,
Jeff B-)

Please clarify instead of using doublespeak. What are you suggesting?
Or are you only casting fake doubt and pseudo concern without any basis?

---------- Post added at 12:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:27 PM ----------

Curious, what do you base this on? Have you seen their developed sites? Based on their current sites and their platform, I can see Portalis getting the funding they need to launch all their acquisitions.

I highly doubt any company would explain their business plan to anyone. And why should they expose themselves to potential competitors? To satisfy a bunch on domainers on a message board?

•••
You are publicly stating that ONE person / entitity purchased all of these Premium .TV domains (which is a very large % of the "reported sales" to date) at this ONE very recent Sedo event/venue ... I think that I, and plenty of other folks, are simply looking for some more detailed information - including the one buyer's reasoning (including excessive pricing paid) and specific development / business plans, IMHO. :gl:

Kind regards,
Jeff B-)

•••
Great thread MrRhee,
repped.

You're right, this does deserve a thread of its own.

I know we as domainers are ahead of the game still as the net is still in its infancy, and of course we are in the infancy of .TV specifically as this extension is blowing up larger and larger on a daily basis since March 18th. Wee are still fortunately able to grab killer one word .tv keywords. But I have often thought about search engines, and HUGE "box stores" and others...(WalMart, Target, Ebay, Overstck.com).

Just how long before these major market holders and search engines actually start to become domainers themselves...grabbing every possible keyword they can to (as a search engine) direct us to their largest paying advertisers) or to their own catalogs of that specific merchandise.

These are just my thoughts, but it makes sense. So In my opinion I think Portalis is waaaay ahead of the game. If not, and these al become developed sites that could only be even better.

Either way, This is exactly the news we need to realize we are part of one of the "hottest" and most exciting times in domaining as .TV is just starting make a MAJOR impact in our online world.

This only makes me realize that any dollar spent on a decent keyword .TV right now, is about the safest investment anyone can make during this economically unstable time.

I surprised with all they bought, they did not obtain Germany.tv since they are a german company. Anyways, it will be fun following them to see what they do.

Thanks, Jim

Great point, lol.

Vito.

Last edited:
•••
Let's not forget all the bidders who brought prices up to the hammer prices.

Lots of people bid up the domains but the winning bidder had the greatest confidence in the extension and the deepest pockets.

It would be interesting to know who the second highest bidders were for these names.

Claude

•••
So what if portalis grabbed a large proportion of the .tv's at the auction!! The point is that they were prepared to pay the highest price to get them....Why?.....who knows but they obviously wanted them or else they would not have bid for them.....Period!

•••
Curious, what do you base this on? Have you seen their developed sites? Based on their current sites and their platform, I can see Portalis getting the funding they need to launch all their acquisitions.

Yes I 've seen them and my common sense and experience says that its impossible to develop all these domains into real websites. I hope I made it more clear for you now.
I highly doubt any company would explain their business plan to anyone. And why should they expose themselves to potential competitors? To satisfy a bunch on domainers on a message board?

I doubt myself because I would never do that either.

•••
You are publicly stating that ONE person / entitity purchased all of these Premium .TV domains (which is a very large % of the "reported sales" to date) at this ONE very recent Sedo event/venue ... I think that I, and plenty of other folks, are simply looking for some more detailed information - including the one buyer's reasoning (including excessive pricing paid) and specific development / business plans, IMHO. :gl:

Kind regards,
Jeff B-)

Jeff, I like how you try to inject lots of innuendo & mis/disinformation into your posts.

you say "excessive pricing", but in reality, for a company - those costs may be considered nominal. I hope that point is clear to everyone reading your posts. You have an agenda and I respect your opinions, but please don't insult us by abusing your posting privileges by seeding your posts with pseudo-concern and trying to spark doubt where there is none.

You can live and die by DNJ if you wish. SEDO has these sales listed, whois has been modified, names are transferred into other registrars (i.e. Name.com), so I'm going to count these names as sold.

Regarding specific development plans: I would love for you to go ask any Fortune 1000 company what their specific plans are so I can hear them tell you to GFY. Why would any one wish to expose themselves to you/us/others and leave themselves vulnerable. They do not need to justify their actions, their buying spree, their vision... and we can't fault them for it and we can't can't create a conspiracy theory just because a company keeps their movement private.

NOTE: While it is okay to "wonder", let's make sure not to take things too far (unethical if not illegal) and discredit/smear another person/company/entity to suit our own agendas.

---------- Post added at 01:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:05 PM ----------

Yes I 've seen them and my common sense and experience says that its impossible to develop all these domains into real websites. I hope I made it more clear for you now.

Impossible? Why?

I'm not attacking you, but no one should assume that others have the same limitations we may have. Who knows if their team spans 20 people or 2000 people?

We're on our own development path mirrored after Idealab, YCombinator, IAC, etc... and anything is possible. There is PLENTY of money out there waiting to invest in good ideas (business plans, teams, etc) VS investing in simply domains. I don't see why Portalis can't develop all these properties over time. They'll be able to attract funding and teamplayers quite easily, even in today's economy. No one expects them to develop all those sites/channels overnight. I don't consider it bad that one company locked up so many great assets. I look forward to seeing what they have planned.

Exciting times.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back