IT.COM

.tv Please sign this Petition against the Upcoming .TV Auction on Sedo

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
But we are riding the .tv extension now and there really is nothing you can do to bring the twentieth century back that you apparently so dearly miss. Get over it. We are having a good time and the tide has shifted ...

Agreed in believing things will happen - for better or for worse - regardless of what is being posted in the #1 .TV Discussions™ ... I am unsure though, exactly, how the "tide has shifted" in this context of technology / 21st century, and the ".TV" extension IMHO. :|

Good discussion,
Jeff B-)

•••

Last edited:
•••
... but how exactly do you see technology working against .tv specifically, jeff?

As I had posted on 3/21 on the brand coversation and also the dilutive nature of new gTLD's such as the highly brandable .WEB on the yet-to-be-established ".TV"; :gl:
Second point; as a brand, the .TV is somewhat technologically pigeonholed in that it is short for "TV/Television" (setting aside it actually being the ccTLD in this context) ... and, to me, the potential .VID / .VIDEO is fresh, and more clearly associated with / memorable for target "Video", as is proposed .WEB is for the broad interactivity, including for both TV and Video, on the fully connected World Wide Web! :music: :talk:

Just my two sense.

The term "TV" itself ... is 20th century, IMHO. :red:
Thanks,
Jeff B-)

•••

You are so right,that is where it was "born" but it has kept up with the times, and when the convergence happens, it will still be "TV". Foolish to throw away a perfectly good name that has over 60 years of branding behind and in front of it. The fact that my grandchildren say "TV" doesn't dishearten me all that much, either. :ghost:

•••

Last edited:
•••
... so please tell us iyho wheres this .tv killer you spoke of?

I had stated that I believe that technology is working against the brand of "TV" (or .TV) ... in addition, as we progress more and more folks watch VIDEOS on devices other than traditional "TV's"; I humbly feel that the term "TV" will be a thing of the past ... while people embrace convergence and broad connectivity on their mobile devices, laptops, iPhones / iPads, Blackberries, etc. so the future is truly the INTERNET and not necessarilly just a "TV", IMHO.
The real question ... then ... is how long can the ccTLD ".TV" survive if its premise (and as technology extrapolates and non-traditional device usage broadens) is passe? :blink:
IYHO.

Regards,
Jeff B-)

Last edited:
•••
I had stated that I believe that technology is working against the brand of "TV" (or .TV) ... in addition, as we progress more and more folks watch VIDEOS on devices other than traditional "TV's"; I humbly feel that the term "TV" will be a thing of the past ... while people embrace convergence and broad connectivity on their mobile devices, laptops, iPhones / iPads, Blackberries, etc. so the future is truly the INTERNET and not necessarilly just a "TV", IMHO.
The real question ... then ... is how long can the ccTLD ".TV" survive if its premise (and as technology extrapolates and non-traditional device usage broadens) is passe? :blink:
IYHO.

Regards,
Jeff B-)

You can already watch tv on all the above mentioned devices, but as long as the tv shows are called tv shows and as long as they are made to be watched on tv's then watching things on any hardware will still be associated with tv.That is why the extension works so well since it instantly means watching something and the "." means internet. It is the perfect combination. You can watch movies on all the above mentioned devices, should we stop calling them movies? What would you call them? ".web moving pictures"? All IMHO. Thanks and have a nice day.

•••
You can already watch tv on all the above mentioned devices, but as long as the tv shows are called tv shows and as long as they are made to be watched on tv's then watching things on any hardware will still be associated with tv.

While it's true that we can already watch TV on these devices, your post illustrates my point; that the ".TV" is pigeonholed, technologically and from a branding perspective, to the limitations of traditionally-named "TV Shows" ... whereas new VIDEOS, webcasts, streaming media, etc. may in the future (along with new devices) be more viable and memorable off of an ccTLD and on one of the new or newer gTLD's such as .VID/.VIDEO or even the highly brandable .WEB, IMHO. :talk:
There will be dilution, as the .TV has yet to be established! :guilty: :imho:

Just my two sense,
Jeff B-)

•••
Posting high reserves is an attempt to keep the value of the .tv extension high or verisign wants to keep making money on registrations. Telling a company how to run their business is not right either though unless you are a share holder. There is other venues for selling domains. No one is forced to use one company. My observation on the subject. I am not going to argue that there will be less sales because of the reserves.

•••
Posting high reserves is an attempt to keep the value of the .tv extension high or verisign wants to keep making money on registrations.

^ Great observation(s), IMHO. :yell: :bingo:

Thanks for the post,
Jeff B-)

•••
While it's true that we can already watch TV on these devices, your post illustrates my point; that the ".TV" is pigeonholed, technologically and from a branding perspective, to the limitations of traditionally-named "TV Shows" ... whereas new VIDEOS, webcasts, streaming media, etc. may in the future (along with new devices) be more viable and memorable off of an ccTLD and on one of the new or newer gTLD's such as .VID/.VIDEO or even the highly brandable .WEB, IMHO. :talk:
There will be dilution, as the .TV has yet to be established! :guilty: :imho:

Just my two sense,
Jeff B-)

au contraire, my dear ECJ. Your tunnel vision actually once again seems to manifest that you are the one that seems to be "pigeon-holed", as it were. Once again, your inability to think outside the box limits your perception of what the technology of the 21st century actually is.

The wild and desperate touting of your highly brandable .web and the new .vid will come as a matter of course, but the .tv extension has placed its flag firmly upon new and exciting territory and try, or cry, as you may, you are unable to change the winds of this new era.

Get used to it or get over it...but GET IT! B-)

•••
... but the .tv extension has placed its flag firmly upon new and exciting territory and try, or cry, as you may, you are unable to change the winds of this new era.

I'm not at all seeing how the ".TV" is established (or changed for the better in any substantive way other than less expensive Registrar fees), in any sense of the word ... I believe the traditional era of the "TV" and "TV Shows" has come and gone - and I'm now looking toward the FUTURE! :music: :talk:

Good Luck in the auction ... getting back to the topic at hand, and while a very worthwhile effort; I don't believe the high "Reserve Prices" will be edited or removed at this point in time, IMHO. :rolleyes:

Take care,
Jeff B-)

Last edited:
•••
•••
As I had posted on 3/21 on the brand coversation and also the dilutive nature of new gTLD's such as the highly brandable .WEB on the yet-to-be-established ".TV"; :gl:

Thanks,
Jeff B-)

And as I responded. WEB hasn't been used in my circles since about 1997. In fact, I would say that NET is more universally used than WEB... I don't suppose you like .net either?

I will further add that TV will not go away as a term in my lifetime because it refers to :

"....a widely used telecommunication medium for transmitting and receiving moving images, either monochromatic ("black and white") or color, usually accompanied by sound." This is generic enough and has a supporting etymology.

Will any old page make it? A lot depends on how Google/Facebook/Semantic search tools evolve (this is the one TV domain name I want to create my marketing trifecta). TV will fit in because it will be more about BRANDS and Marketing CHANNELS... unless it doesn't :) ... but that's not your argument. Your argument is as deep as the three letters!! Your opinion is based on the fact that you believe that people will see .TV and think old/crappy and see .WEB and think ooh/shiny shiny.

I would actually stand up right now and say 14 years of going sideways is worth MORE than 14 years of fighting about whether you should even exist. The "web" is changing and ".WEB" is too late.

I'm not fooled into believing that .TV is the saviour of domaining. I am convinced that getting a heavily searched, highly brandable 4 letter word on a 10yr+ TLD for Regfee is worth it because it IS the last time it will ever happen. I couldn't even get a decent four letter word dotME! I could find a dotMOBI at this point, I suppose but the whole notion of that platform was doomed from day one.

As much as everyone hates .TV's premium structure... the notion of premium will exist with EVERY single attempt to launch anything new because without that guaranteed revenue who the hell is going to take on the risk of a new gTLD?

I believe in 10 years, this will all be moot.

BUT BACK TO TOPIC:
An auction is an auction and I don't think the reserve price should be anything that we care about. I don't believe it makes sense to stake the value of your portfolio on the results of an auction UNLESS you have the same keywords in singular/plural maybe.

What you own you will need to find an end user for... or an end user will find you... or a domainer. The only fallout from not hitting reserve would be that some domainers might hedge... but are you really looking for a domainer 2 domainer market?

Why not focus on what makes your domain worth something?
If you just bought because, well, it seemed like a deal then you're still going to be holding the domain in a year regardless of the auction results.

This is worse if you look at the previous "renewal" fees as the "problem" and why they DIDN'T get registered. I read things like.... "Wow what a great domain you should sell it to company XXX...." well company XXX has a yearly budget for advertising that has SIX zeros - a renewal of 3 zeros is nothing IF THEY WANTED IT.

Apparently they didn't.

A three zero sale does look more compelling for an end user if they are just a smaller entity with a significantly smaller budget. The lucky/clever/smart probably bought for that "middle market"... didn't NEED the domain but could afford 4-5 zeros on a one off. A prior renewal of $10,000 just mean that they tagged it with a renewal of $10,000. No one registered it because it wasn't anything they were interested in. Some TM's sat there because UDRP is now so successful.

But back to the reserve - all less than $5000.... some are at a $1000. What's more disappointing? A no sale at $1000... or a sale at $600?

And why do you care?

When you play poker... it's better to focus on the cards you hold than to guess what others have.

In 2001 a Picasso failed to sell:
BBC News | ARTS | Picasso portrait fails to sell

Anyone care to look at what that did for sales of art in the last 10 years? I don't think it went down.. No.5 took 140 million just 5 years later. Not making reserve is irrelevant IMHO.

Last edited:
•••

Last edited:
•••
Your opinion is based on the fact that you believe that people will see .TV and think old/crappy and see .WEB and think ooh/shiny shiny.

I believe the term "TV" will eventually be a bit passe ... whereas some potential new gTLD's could be seen a fresh & exciting! :talk:

I'm not fooled into believing that .TV is the saviour of domaining. I am convinced that getting a heavily searched, highly brandable 4 letter word on a 10yr+ TLD for Regfee is worth it because it IS the last time it will ever happen. I couldn't even get a decent four letter word dotME! I could find a dotMOBI at this point, I suppose but the whole notion of that platform was doomed from day one.

^ Good points. :gl:

But back to the reserve - all less than $5000.... some are at a $1000. What's more disappointing? A no sale at $1000... or a sale at $600?

I would say that most of those following .TV's would opt for a sale at $600 rather than be further disappointed by a non-sale at "Reserve price" $1,000; but I think in their (Verisign/Enom/Sedo) not electing to go back and remove ALL "Reserve prices" they have eliminated a very possible "worst case" senario - in which would/could have been a bunch of sales at $Xx and $Xxx for generally considered-to-be good .TV domains! :guilty: :imho:

Nice conversation, Good Luck tom'w defaultuser!
Jeff B-)

•••
Update: By my count, there are presently 91 Premium Sedo .TV domains at "Reserve not met" status (that is, 79%+ of all Sedo .TV's in this auction)! :| :imho:

Night,
Jeff B-)

•••
I know that at Snapnames & Namejet there is normally considerable activity in the final minutes before an auction's end which normally extends the auction past the official deadline. Perhaps interested parties in the .TV auction are not showing their hands until the final minutes. We'll see...

•••
This thread was all about eliminating the reserve @ the big Sedo auction.
It was a GREAT initiative by Richard.

The auction has started already and the petition is over.

Now why is there another Friggen debate on the future of .TV, and whether we should develop or just collect these .TV's etc. LOL,

It is past the point of being frustrating and almost comical at this point.

Thx Richard, Oh and By the way, I guess my Post wouldn't be complete if I didn't add my 3 cents of my .TV philosophy.

My .TV plans are to collect as many high priced .TV's I can afford, just like my butterflies in a jar collection..
.then one day after I re-reg them at least 5x, I will plan on letting them drop cuz thats the way I Roll. Done :)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back