IT.COM

question Outbound Sales $

NameSilo
Watch

Cdomains

Top Member
Impact
I was just wondering what your experience has been with getting higher $ amounts for domains when contacting end users with outbound email.

My experience has been it is hard to get good $ when you contact them, and you must give a price to get a good response rate.

Excluding Geo domains (which seem to always go for less than 1k, and mostly in the low $xxx) I have found it is usually hard to crack the 2k mark when you contact them.

What do you think?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I would like the business I do to be win-win. So I don't need to worry about leaving money on the table as long as I get a decent profit, the buyer doesn't show signs of feeling like they are getting ripped off, and the settled-on price feels reasonable.

Excellent.

•••
..owners don't know what to do with domains..

... but thats just knowledge acquired over time.

Any time you do outreach; you are leaving money on the table in favor of the buyer.

I'm curious how you gain that knowledge while you wait for inbound? Let me guess...read, read, read. Because it's obviously not an action taken by people who wait for inbound--by definition, they are just waiting for the inbound.

As for leaving money on the table, time is money, is it not? So how is that time waiting for the inbound $X,XXX valued?

It's interesting that domaining seems to be the only business where inaction is favored, at least if I am to judge by the comments here that advocate the rocking-chair method, that is, wait for inbounds.

In no other business does anyone advocate that you learn to buy inventory and wait. There is obviously a difference between an investment and a business. If a business then you have to do something, and you also learn by doing, even if that means spending some money initially to buy worthless crap (like I've done). Usually you learn where the investments are to be found. Example from another industry: real estate, where as an agent you learn to sell and also learn to invest.

I was "spammed" recently by a domainer with a free email account who offered me a type-in domain associated with my business. I paid what they asked (which was under $200)...didn't even haggle because I know what it's worth to me but they didn't. Those that speak of spamming miss the link between sending an email that has a connection to the end-user and offers an opportunity.

As for owners not knowing what to do with domains, I would think that I would stop buying stuff I don't know what to do with--in my book, it's called hoarding for no good reason (!)--they could just let them expire or sell them cheaply here. Or maybe it' more of they'd rather wait or let someone else do the sale. :xf.rolleyes:

Last edited:
•••
•••
There are plenty of profits to be generated via outbound sales if you are buying and marketing the right types of domains (product/service), and contacting the right people at the right companies.
Of course, the passive approach is more profitable - but whilst waiting for the inbound sales to mount up, the active marketing strategy can yield excellent results if you are committed, disciplined and consistent.

There are many, many .COM/.NET domain names that drop each day with some kind of commercial value. Many product/service types (or GEOs) can be flipped for 50-100x ROI (speaking from experience).

Yes, you will need to get out of your comfort zone - most domain investors are lazy. But the results/ROI is worth it. Re-invest a large portion of the profits into domains that will sell over time (passive).

•••
There are plenty of profits to be generated via outbound sales if you are buying and marketing the right types of domains (product/service), and contacting the right people at the right companies.
Of course, the passive approach is more profitable - but whilst waiting for the inbound sales to mount up, the active marketing strategy can yield excellent results if you are committed, disciplined and consistent.

There are many, many .COM/.NET domain names that drop each day with some kind of commercial value. Many product/service types (or GEOs) can be flipped for 50-100x ROI (speaking from experience).

Yes, you will need to get out of your comfort zone - most domain investors are lazy. But the results/ROI is worth it. Re-invest a large portion of the profits into domains that will sell over time (passive).

Or by marketing your domain you are cheapening it's resale value to the point where someone who would have been interested at $x,xxx now is just waiting for you to drop it.

Your budget is also a lot different that the guy who is just starting out in 2016. So those .COM/.NET names with commercial value that go for auction at $500 and up are unattainable on a regular basis.

Waiting for inbound isn't a function of laziness, it's a function of smart selective strategy.

•••
You are not seeing the point. I am not talking about marketing your better/best .COM/.NET domains.
I am talking about the countless opportunities there are daily to pick up $x expired domains (after they drop) and flip them for $250-$500. You do not need a great amount of capital for these.
These types are NOT the type that go for $x,xxx in passive mode.

•••
•••
Investors and flippers are the different terms/things.

•••
How is a domain flipper, not an investor? They invest in domain names (dropped/expired/at auction) with the intent to reach out to end users and sell the domain name for a profit.

There is nothing wrong with passive sales (best strategy for max. ROI) and there is nothing wrong with generating liquidity with outbound sales. They are 2 different strategies and there are many domain investors that actually mix the 2.

Last edited:
•••
How do you gauge the end user demand for a domain name before buying it? It's probably not that hard for "top" domains. But for some domains, I don't think we can say that if only you would wait long enough, a buyer would probably come offering x,xxx. You can believe it, hope for it, or maybe play a numbers game and have so many good domains that you are bound to get those offers at least a couple times a year.

I guess you wouldn't call a person who buys houses or property purely to flip them quickly an investor? A real estate investor is someone who just sits on their property, puts up a for sale sign, and doesn't do any outreach?

Last edited:
•••
An investor is an individual who commits money to investment products with the expectation of financial return.

Investing funds into domains with the expectation of selling them (immediately OR in the future) for a multiple, falls under this category.
By actively seeking out a financial return sooner (even if the ROI is possibly/likely lower), that does NOT make you NOT an investor.

•••
How do you gauge the end user demand for a domain name before buying it? It's probably not that hard for "top" domains. But for some domains, I don't think we can say that if only you would wait long enough, a buyer will probably come offering x,xxx.

Read, read, read ;)

Case in point...

I bought a domain in November for $20 at expiry auction. Every domainer in the world had access to the domain, but passed (or overlooked) it for whatever reason. By March it was sold for $3250 @ (ROI of 162x).

*sold an October handreg recently for a similar return.

I've been able to do this now pretty regularly while waiting for larger offers on "better/best" domains.

It was not a hope, prayer, or a numbers game. I didn't reach out once to them, a buyer came to me. Most 'flippers' would have been happy with $200 - $400 and would move on. I was patient, I did my research, and was rewarded.

I stopped reaching out to people, and make them come to me. There is nothing passive about it... and like I said. The information is out there, but you have to want to learn and do the work yourself.

You can believe it, hope for it, or maybe play a numbers game

Isaac Newton was brilliant... but what he could not explain he attributed to 'God' and gave up searching. This is what even the most brilliant people do, what they can't explain something they attribute it to things like 'luck', 'hope', or 'prayer'.

You keep looking toward 'outbound sales' because that's what makes sense to you and it's all you know, but if you continue your search and continue to explore ways to sell domains - you will find another way :).

I can tell you, outbound sales only minimizes your profit and devalues any domain you start promoting.

If you can't accept that, and won't do the research and open your mind... then who would be the lazy domainer then?

Just because someone decides not to pander their property for sale does not make them lazy.

Last edited:
•••
•••
p.s. And about lazy...
I don't have time even to see TV or movies... watching them just once/twice per week...

•••
Read, read, read ;)

Case in point...

I bought a domain in November for $20 at expiry auction. Every domainer in the world had access to the domain, but passed (or overlooked) it for whatever reason. By March it was sold for $3250 @ (ROI of 162x).

*sold an October handreg recently for a similar return.

I've been able to do this now pretty regularly while waiting for larger offers on "better/best" domains.

It was not a hope, prayer, or a numbers game. I didn't reach out once to them, a buyer came to me. Most 'flippers' would have been happy with $200 - $400 and would move on. I was patient, I did my research, and was rewarded.

I stopped reaching out to people, and make them come to me. There is nothing passive about it... and like I said. The information is out there, but you have to want to learn and do the work yourself.

Isaac Newton was brilliant... but what he could not explain he attributed to 'God' and gave up searching. This is what even the most brilliant people do, what they can't explain something they attribute it to things like 'luck', 'hope', or 'prayer'.

You keep looking toward 'outbound sales' because that's what makes sense to you and it's all you know, but if you continue your search and continue to explore ways to sell domains - you will find another way :).

I can tell you, outbound sales only minimizes your profit and devalues any domain you start promoting.

If you can't accept that, and won't do the research and open your mind... then who would be the lazy domainer then?

Just because someone decides not to pander their property for sale does not make them lazy.
Okay, I get what you are saying.
(by the way, I don't think I called anyone lazy, but maybe that response wasn't directed at me)
I had read on your blog about hand registering domains and using the zone file to find end users, although some of that I had already figured out by "read, read, read"ing other things. Those tutorials were only posted a few months ago or so, I think.. Wondering what made you change your mind about outbound so quickly. Sales like those two you mentioned, I suppose..
Or maybe those posts were to help out the people who want to become 'flippers'?
I just find it kind of odd that you are so adamantly opposed to outbound now when you were recently writing about how to find end users to contact. Unless I am remembering wrong and the post was more about making sure domains you buy have potential end users, but I thought it was more for people who already own domains and want to find the right businesses to send emails to.
The information you have now must be pretty valuable if you were fine with sharing some of what you know about the zone file and hand registering in full length tutorials, but don't want to divulge this :)

Has anyone else found ways of actively making businesses aware of the domain without explicitly telling them about it? I was reading a bit about "inbound marketing" just now
I guess that's one of the biggest problems / opportunities with domaining..figuring out how to make a larger percentage of business / website owners aware of the value and come looking for it..

•••
And yet many people made their first domain $$ thru outbound marketing...;)

•••
•••
Outbound marketing can be really profitable if you are systematic, disciplined, consistent - and know which types of domains to target. There are still plenty of opportunities to buy low and sell .NET to end buyers.

.COM is king, without a shadow of a doubt. But a large portion of my outbound sales to end users have been .NET domains. Just a few of my small/medium "outbound" sales include:

EMRSoftware.net - $700 (cost under $80)
HeatTreat.net - $650 (cost reg fee)
LawnAerators.net - $300 (cost reg fee)
LiftEquipment.net - $600 (cost reg fee)
LimosForSale.net - $300 (cost reg fee)
BakingEquipment.net - $900 (cost under $80)
NutritionSoftware.net - $500 (cost reg fee)
BookDistributors.net - $300 (cost reg fee)
BusinessEmail.net - $600 (cost under $80)
TexasElectricity.net - $200 (cost reg fee)
Sieve.net - $600 (cost under $80)
Aerials.net - $900 (cost under $80)
MobilityScooters.net - $1,500 (cost under $80)
DriverJobs.net - $500 (cost under $80)
BakeryEquipment.net - $1,400 (cost under $80)
RingBinders.net - $400 (cost reg fee)
AdultCostumes.net - $410 (cost reg fee)
Airbrushes.net - $400 (cost reg fee)
CuttingBoards.net - $400 (cost reg fee)
BathSalt.net - $500 (cost under $80)
Tequila.net - $1,500 (cost under $80)
CheapTravels.net - $1,000 (cost under $80)

A trainload of medium sales, over time, add up fast. A portion of "outbound sales profits" can/should be sunk into .COM keywords/brands that sell passively over time. 1 business model finances the other.

•••
@Federer,

Tequila.net is great... for only 1,500 bucks :xf.eek:

•••
Perfect example of the problem with 'outbound sales'
https://www.namepros.com/threads/follow-my-20dollar-to-a-baller-challenge.938384/

$20 -> $125 with maximum effort.

I get the theme of the thread, but this is bad advice in practice.

I understand that inbound may be better. But if you in fact understand the theme of that linked thread then you would understand that everyone must start somewhere.

In reading this thread it seems that you once advocated outbounds much in the same fashion as some of us are advancing here now, if I read the posters reference to you. So it seems for you the process of outbound taught you something, besides not doing it. It might have, for example, led you to discover the magic way you now get inbounds.

•••
I understand that inbound may be better. But if you in fact understand the theme of that linked thread then you would understand that everyone must start somewhere.

For the same reward:
Would you prefer to start 50 miles from the finish line,
or would you prefer to only have to walk a few steps.

At the end of the day, you can all do what you want to do, but you will find that outbound won't get you the results other strategies will.

So if you just focus on outbound instead of thinking outside of the box, you are doing yourself a disservice.

•••
For the same reward:
Would you prefer to start 50 miles from the finish line,
or would you prefer to only have to walk a few steps.

At the end of the day, you can all do what you want to do, but you will find that outbound won't get you the results other strategies will.

So if you just focus on outbound instead of thinking outside of the box, you are doing yourself a disservice.

My point is that you can say this from the vantage point you gained AFTER you tried outbound. That was how you got there. Each of us will get there in our own way. It may be easy for you to see NOW that outbounds are not better for you, but if you hadn't done outbounds you wouldn't have gotten there. And that is a process that is individual to each of us newbies. Yet, some may skip the outbound and somehow land where you are.

•••
I guess outbound sales has an important role in your domaining career. I see it simple:

Outbound sales are less valuable then inbound sales, yes, but are more likely to happen if you do it right. Increase your earnings slowly by selling and reinvesting in new ones. When you reached to the point you can start having some heavy assets you can stop outbounding, just sit back and wait for the offers to come to you. No need to advertise yourself at all.

TL;DR - outbound sales are needed at some point to boost your cash flow and deal with serious assets..

The way seem a little far to me but i'm always positive. :)

•••
I suppose one way to make an end user come to you is to find domains that people forgot to renew. Maybe find them by checking if the twitter / facebook is active and has a link to that domain. Or if there is significant archive.org history up to the drop date.
Then the end user will want the domain back. But they might be annoyed that you took it.

Last edited:
•••
I am new to this forum so this thread has been great, thanks guys.

•••
Back