Dynadot

question Outbound Sales $

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Cdomains

Top Member
Impact
I was just wondering what your experience has been with getting higher $ amounts for domains when contacting end users with outbound email.

My experience has been it is hard to get good $ when you contact them, and you must give a price to get a good response rate.

Excluding Geo domains (which seem to always go for less than 1k, and mostly in the low $xxx) I have found it is usually hard to crack the 2k mark when you contact them.

What do you think?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
That's 499 people who've been spammed, had their time wasted and hate domain name investors as a result.

As you can tell I'm not a fan of of outbound. It gives is all a bad name and in no small way contributes towards the widely held belief that domain name investors are squatters.

That number was just demonstrative meant.

You may not be a big fan of outbound, but there always will be people who will make a lot of money with it, if you like it or not; no offense.

•••
There just was a completely new domain beginner who made his first sale within weeks with outbound marketing, you can read his whole story on the 'domain beginner' section.

Do things right and see that success comin' ...

•••
Everyday I receive a lot of such outbound-offers... And I don't even read them - simply trashing...
So I completely understand what feels receiver... on my own skin.

•••
No one says that you have the read their novels, I honestly also would not read such mails until it points me directly what the sender wants from me.

•••
So you do not even open them up or what do you mean?

•••
Everyday I receive a lot of such outbound-offers... And I don't even read them - simply trashing...
So I completely understand what feels receiver... on my own skin.

I also receive such stuff of "unprofessional" invasion! >:(

Anyway, a marketing campaign BtoB is different from scamming.

Having, i.e., a good domain I can wait the right enduser, but, also, I could promote it toward targeted potentials.
I think that clients must be "stimulated" because they don't conceive the importance of quality domain names, and they don't search them with purpose.

•••
Quality domains don't need any outbounds.

•••

Haha... Ok, but I didn't say "unique" :xf.wink:

Few entrepreneurs are aware that a good online presence is a competitive factor, beginning with the choice of name, follow by the management of contents.

•••
Endusers are not stupid...
Just there are many domainers that are not able to think like endusers... this is the difference.

•••

This is the same BS I have been reading on this forum and hearing for years.

Yeah, yeah, I know - if you have a great domain the end user will beat your door down to find you.

B*llS**t!! I have contacted end users who were thrilled that the name was available and they never even thought of looking for it, or they looked for it before and it was taken and they did not know it was now available.

I do this every day, for hours a day, and I if you don't, or you just do it part time, you do not know what you are talking about.

You are just repeating the same old tired crap that other people say.

•••
You have asked about my experience... do I need to quote you??? (see above)
And I just answered.

•••
Endusers are not stupid (anymore).

Outreach is pointless, let them come to you. It's much more profitable.

•••

:xf.grin:

yOMrega.png

•••
Endusers are not stupid (anymore).

I agree it is more profitable to wait for them to come to you, but it is expensive to hold a bunch of domains for years just waiting.

This is a good idea for your best domains, but for all the others outbound is the best way to go.

•••
but it is expensive to hold a bunch of domains for years just waiting.

"Expensive" is just a perception based on investment level.

The best way to go is to not do any outbound sales at all for all domains.

•••
•••
Aren't there some kinds of domains that will probably never sell if you don't do some kind of outreach?

For example, if you have a three-word geo domain parked and you are getting consistent revenue and traffic, but no business owner knows about the domain (or cares / understands / etc.) and that it is for sale, how are they going to find you? I guess some might, but it seems unlikely. Instead, you can pitch it to them and show stats or explain how it will improve their current name that is four parts, two of them being strange abbreviations for words.

There are lots of domains on the marketplaces. It's easy to say people will find you if your domains are in high demand already, but just because a domain isn't consistently in demand doesn't mean it's too low quality to contact end users about. If you are getting very little interest by putting it in the marketplaces, it could just mean the 10 end users who could really benefit (really, not just you think they might) from the domain are focusing on much more important things than this.

•••
Aren't there some kinds of domains that will probably never sell if you don't do some kind of outreach?

Yes, those are called bad domains.

Those are the ones that will likely never sell with outreach as well.

Maybe $20 - $50 profit is fine by some people that just want to huckster bad domains for little profit.

I guess it's all perspective. If you want nice paydays, you protect your intellectual property, and you wait for inbound inquiries.

OR

If you want a $200 sale from a $8 buy (plus renewals) you made three years ago, then outbound sales is the way to go.

•••
How do you explain the success of brokers?

Domain Name Sales for instance, they do outbound and apparently have much success with it.

Nuff Said!!

•••
How do you explain the success of brokers?

You mean the people that 'accept' premium domains and start doing outreach?

Easily explained; owners don't know what to do with domains, or how to make them attractive to buyers without doing outbound sales.

There are better ways besides doing outbound sales... but thats just knowledge acquired over time.

Any time you do outreach; you are leaving money on the table in favor of the buyer.

•••
Any time you do outreach; you are leaving money on the table in favor of the buyer.

I can't argue with that statement and I agree with it, however outbound does have it's place and can be effective.

•••
I would like the business I do to be win-win. So I don't need to worry about leaving money on the table as long as I get a decent profit, the buyer doesn't show signs of feeling like they are getting ripped off, and the settled-on price feels reasonable.

I can't possibly know the budget of every person who would be interested in my domain, so any BIN price I set could scare away a lot of people who would still pay a fair price..or maybe get close to the BIN with negotiation.
And if I set it to make offer, how will I know if the interested parties aren't just other domain investors who see an opportunity and are willing to go contact that obvious end user that isn't actively looking for the domain.. and sell it for a nice profit because I wasn't willing to? Unless I am supposed to make a guess at what that company is willing to pay and then sell it near that price.

What percentage of "good" domains are just going to bring offers to your inbox? Because not everyone can own "great" domains when they start.. or maybe they prefer doing simple geo domains where there isn't generic appeal and lots of demand. I guess I will try to figure out the better ways of selling besides basic inbound and outbound.

•••
I would like the business I do to be win-win. So I don't need to worry about leaving money on the table as long as I get a decent profit, the buyer doesn't show signs of feeling like they are getting ripped off, and the settled-on price feels reasonable.

I can't possibly know the budget of every person who would be interested in my domain, so any BIN price I set could scare away a lot of people who would still pay a fair price..or maybe get close to the BIN with negotiation.
And if I set it to make offer, how will I know if the interested parties aren't just other domain investors who see an opportunity and are willing to go contact that obvious end user that isn't actively looking for the domain.. and sell it for a nice profit because I wasn't willing to? Unless I am supposed to make a guess at what that company is willing to pay and then sell it near that price.

What percentage of "good" domains are just going to bring offers to your inbox? Because not everyone can own "great" domains when they start.. or maybe they prefer doing simple geo domains where there isn't generic appeal and lots of demand. I guess I will try to figure out the better ways of selling besides basic inbound and outbound.

A good perspective.

•••
If you want a $200 sale from a $8 buy (plus renewals) you made three years ago, then outbound sales is the way to go.

Why don't you consider this as a 'business model?

For someone is better a good ROI today rather than a big stroke who knows when :!::!::!:

I don't agree in the analogy outbound = discount/low price D-: because if a prospect replies "how much" means him/her is interested!
So, at this point, the negotiation resumes his power.:xf.wink:

Last edited:
•••
So, at this point, the negotiation resumes his power.

Good point, if someone replies perhaps they are interested enough to pay a decent price.

After all, in a busy world with lots of distractions, somebody who takes the time to respond to your offer must have interest in what you are offering if they take the time to respond to it.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back