Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

frank-germany

domainer since 2001 / musicianTop Member
Impact
does somebody know
how the ICANN terms
allow an out opt of the 60 day lock period
when I transfer my own domains to another registrar?
( .com )

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
•••
+ transfer-out from 1and1 is almost instant, you may release the domain within minutes.

•••
p.s. No perfect registrars, all have various minuses.

•••
Does that mean you're now considering going back to 1and1 :)

I think I've already answered that question. Once bitten twice shy. Is my motto.

I remember the days on end waiting and waiting for a new registration to resolve. I remember the awful control panel. Awful support. The compulsory hosting contract, because I couldn't find out how to opt out. The struggle it was to cancel this contract. It wasn't so upfront as it apparently is now.

But we should get back on track. There seems to be no other Registrar than 1and1 for transferring .com domains before the first 60 days has expired. So @Jurgen Wolf is very lucky that this seems to be at his favorite registrar. I'm not sure why he needs to find any other. You can't get shorter than 1 day.

•••
I use many registrars... even GoDaddy sometimes.

•••
•••
Regarding control panel... it was completely redesigned at 1and1.
But Bulk management is absent still.

And as already said above, why you ordered Hosting - I don't understand.
BTW, any contract can be easily cancelled via contract.ionos.com

•••
I use many registrars... even GoDaddy sometimes.

What! Not even with a smilie :) Why would you use GoDaddy when you can use 1and1? Their ToS are more draconian than almost every registrar on the planet. And that's just for starters.

•••
I use GD only for promos like $1.17 .biz or something like that.
And only sometimes.

•••

It was not only me. there are many complaints that 1and1 makes you sign up for the hosting. I checked their ToS at the time. I could not find any clear method of not accepting the hosting with the domain name. They made it sound like the hosting was compulsory and the domain registration was "on the house". It was also very very difficult to work out how to cancel this hosting after you sold/transferred the domain. You really had to dig deep, to find the instructions. Then their draconian methods of recovering the funds for the next year. This was not a company I would wish to do business with. Ever again. Once bitten, twice shy. Although my account is in good standing with them. So no hard feelings, other than my own personal experiences.

•••
Don't order Hosting!
Just click "No, thanks. Domain only".
The only one solution here.
NEVER had such issues. And my friends as well.

•••
We have to agree to differ on our past experiences with 1and1. What they do now, I have no idea or care. You don't remember the days it took at least 5 days for the domain to start resolving? Every other registrar was already pretty much similtaneous with the order.

Last edited:
•••
And again...
I use 1and1 since 2009...
The longest DNS change was a few hours... and many years ago.
Last few years - instant change.

•••
Believe me. It could take 5 days. This couldn't have been just DNS. It seemed to me their control panel could have been to blame also. It seems I've missed the best days at 1and1. But I don't miss them :)

•••
Just to clarify, Verisign = Netsol ? Right ?
So transfer out in under 60 days for any new .com registered there ?

Reg today.
Get transfer code in 3 days
Begin transfer
Done in 5-7 days​

Is that correct ?

•••
All what I read here is totally new and fantastic for me...
Never had any hosting or 5day issues.

Verisign is .com/.net/.name/.tv registry.

Last edited:
•••

Don't you just miss Bulk Managment of domains. Something most other registrars have had for 10-20 years already :)

Last edited:
•••
Don't you just miss Bulk Managment of domains. Something other registrars have had for 10-20 years already :)
1and1 is targeted on endusers (+ hosting is their primary business), domainers are not in their focus. That's why.
Bulk management exists in roadmap... but when it will be ready - they can't say.

Last edited:
•••
So. One question. If Verisign, the .com Registry, have no 60 day hold on new registrations. Why is it only 1and1 is the only Registrar on the planet, which follows their ToS. And every other Registrar on the planet has a 60 day hold? I'd be happy to listen to any reasons for this.

•••
I can't say about other registrars, and I can't confirm that this doesn't work with others.
I know only about 1and1, because my 1-40 days sold domains were at 1and1.

•••
Just to clarify, Verisign = Netsol ? Right ?
So transfer out in under 60 days for any new .com registered there ?

Reg today.
Get transfer code in 3 days
Begin transfer
Done in 5-7 days​

Is that correct ?

According to Network Solutions/Web.com support pages, you cannot transfer out before 60 days. Go to this link: https://knowledge.web.com/subjects/article/KA-01088/en-us and scroll down to the "Issues with the Transfer Process" section.

ICANN just accepts such locks, but they are not mandatory.
To lock or not to lock - fully depends on Registry and Registrar.

According to Netsol (see link I posted for NYJimbo above), ICANN is the one that prohibits them from transferring out before 60 days. So why would they lie about such a silly thing?

NetSol said:
ICANN regulations state that a Domain Name cannot be transferred within 60 days of initial purchase. There is no way to bypass this regulation.

Last edited:
•••
•••
So. One question. If Verisign, the .com Registry, have no 60 day hold on new registrations. Why is it only 1and1 is the only Registrar on the planet, which follows their ToS. And every other Registrar on the planet has a 60 day hold? I'd be happy to listen to any reasons for this.

Could it be they give Jurgen Wolf an exception for having so many domains with them?

•••
I don't have even another prices there.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back