NameSilo
Watch

frank-germany

domainer since 2001 / musicianTop Member
Impact
does somebody know
how the ICANN terms
allow an out opt of the 60 day lock period
when I transfer my own domains to another registrar?
( .com )

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I'm not talking about prices. I'm talking about services and policies.

•••
•••
Furthermore, the fact that all registrars that have a hold policy seem to all have the same exact 60 day time frame. This is strange in the retail industry.

If they were free to do as they please, then they would have different time frames. Different time frames can cater to different people and give a competitive advantage to a degree.

But they don't do that, they all go with 60 days, a seemingly random time frame. It can't be that they all like that random 60-day time frame. There must be some force behind that timeframe.

I'm not saying you are right or wrong. I'm saying something just does not add-up here.

Last edited:
•••
In other words, it is allowed by ICANN for registrars to lock domains, and that's why it is stated.
But it is optional. Each registrar can set it or not according to their own vision.

Last edited:
•••
OK, if you're just going to keep repeating, then I will play that game for a bit...

As I sated before...

According to Netsol (see link I posted for NYJimbo above), ICANN is the one that prohibits them from transferring out before 60 days.

So why would they lie about such a silly thing
?

NetSol said:
https://knowledge.web.com/subjects/article/KA-01088/en-us
ICANN regulations state that a Domain Name cannot be transferred within 60 days of initial purchase. There is no way to bypass this regulation.

Last edited:
•••
NetSol page is outdated.
Recent ICANN IRTP policy doesn't require it, but allows as option.
Was said many times above, even link to another thread was provided where @Dynadot and @namesilo confirmed the same.

•••
This thread is exhausting. I'm gone.

•••
I hear ya. What it comes down to is...

• you just have to read the ToS/support pages of each registrar.
  • if they say 60-days then it's 60-days
  • if you want to contact them and try to get them to lift it, then you can try.
  • but they will most likely say, no way bro, unless you are a valuable, long-time customer.
The end.

Last edited:
•••
•••
the 60 day lock is so stupid. wisht hey could abolish it.

Not like it prevents domain thefts at all.

It prevents Afternic / Sedo sails, and even end user sails.

Only high-end end users who buy domains for x,xxx will agree to push, because they know about domains. xxx buyers will just want their domains at GD or some other mainstream registrar. If you can't do it, then it just makes them more apt to not bother.

•••
Since Dec'1 2016.

That explains why they all use the same 60-day time frame. So basically, if you are right and these registrars are operating under old ICANN rules, then these registrars are probably running with it as they see it as an advantage to them.

Last edited:
•••
And it is STILL used by some Registries, so your domains will be locked regardless of your registrar.
Afilias (.PRO/.ORG/.info etc.) and various CentralNic TLDs (.xyz/.online etc.) still follow this archaic practice.

Last edited:
•••
That interesting. I guess different people have different experiences. I've been reselling domains off and on since about 2005/2006 and I have never had a buyer have a problem with a push instead of a transfer.

I have a push-only policy. I don't believe in getting involved in transfers. The less hands in the mix, the better.

But I would consider a transfer IF the sale was over a certain amount and it meant losing a sale if I did not engage in the transfer, assuming the current registrar is reputable.

To me, it makes no sense why someone would care if it was a push or a transfer.

It makes sense to very small number of people who bought stolen domains before or are afraid of buying stolen domains from hacked registrar accounts.
They believe transfer is more secure than push. Because transfer requires email confirmation.
Also 60 days lock may add a little extra security but I don't know how. Because "lock" is closely relevant to "security". You automatically think if something is locked, it must be more secure.

•••
You can push it to the buyer's account or to Sedo's escrow account at Dynadot (and this is enough to get your money).
Is dynadot a Chinese company? Why am I being forced to fill in the real contact name, is this not exposing my personal privacy to the Internet?

•••
Is dynadot a Chinese company? Why am I being forced to fill in the real contact name, is this not exposing my personal privacy to the Internet?
No.
California.

And real registrant data is required by ICANN.
To hide it in WHOIS - use their FREE Privacy service.

•••
I can add that ALL LogicBoxes based registrars/resellers (ResellerClub/BigRock/Whois.com etc.) are able to initiate the transfer-in below 60 days age.
What about transfer-out?

•••
•••
I don't think ANY registrar can release a new domain less than 60 days old. I'm sure that is ICANN ruling.
Uniregistry can. You are free to transfer to anywhere from Uniregistry, provided you opted out of the transfer lock during registration.

•••
Uniregistry can. You are free to transfer to anywhere from Uniregistry, provided you opted out of the transfer lock during registration.

as far as I know uniregistry doesn't offer fast-tranfer out

•••

According to Uniregistry Help.....

Q: Why can’t I transfer a new domain name to another registrar?

A: ICANN (the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers) guidelines prohibit domain name registrants from transferring a domain name to a new registrar within the first 60 days after initial registration.

•••
That interesting. I guess different people have different experiences. I've been reselling domains off and on since about 2005/2006 and I have never had a buyer have a problem with a push instead of a transfer.

I have a push-only policy. I don't believe in getting involved in transfers. The less hands in the mix, the better.

But I would consider a transfer IF the sale was over a certain amount and it meant losing a sale if I did not engage in the transfer, assuming the current registrar is reputable.

To me, it makes no sense why someone would care if it was a push or a transfer.
Which registrar(s) do you use? Is it by any chance, GoDaddy only?

•••
No such mandatory requirements by ICANN.
I have successfully transferred even 1 day old domains from 1and1.
Because Donuts doesn't set 60 days per their TLDs, 1and1 as well.

Did you get a 1 year renewalwith that transfer from 1and1 and donuts extentions ?

And what about the push => I read somewhere here on Namepros that they (1and1) ask money for a PUSH !

Last edited:
•••
Did you get a 1 year renewalwith that transfer from 1and1 and donuts extentions ?

And what about the push => I read somewhere here on Namepros that they (1and1) ask money for a PUSH !
1. Certainly, Buyer got 1 year.

2. Push is absent at 1and1 and Hexonet.
Internal transfer is processed in the same manner as external using AUTH code, the gaining account must pay for it (for 1 year renewal).

•••
Push is absent at 1and1 and Hexonet.
Internal transfer is processed in the same manner as external using AUTH code, the gaining account must pay for it (for 1 year renewal).

looks like the same is true with godaddy

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back