NameSilo
Watch

frank-germany

domainer since 2001 / musicianTop Member
Impact
does somebody know
how the ICANN terms
allow an out opt of the 60 day lock period
when I transfer my own domains to another registrar?
( .com )

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Verisign doesn't set 60 days.
And each registrar has its own policy, including opt-out procedure (if registrant was changed).

•••
Anybody know specific lock policy going from Netsol to Namesilo ? Got a couple hundred .com's might need moving later this year. :xf.wink:

EDIT: I am talking about moving names that are well past the first 60 days on Netsol.

Last edited:
•••
The gaining registrar doesn't matter de jure.
But de facto some registrars can't even initiate the transfer if age is below 60 days (@Dynadot and @namesilo as examples).
They still don't understand the modern transfer process.

•••
I am talking about moving names that are well past the first 60 days on Netsol.
Should be no any problems in this case.
You may also open NetSol FAQ.

•••
Should be no any problems in this case.
You may also open NetSol FAQ.
I know there is no problem moving, but what about it being re-locked after the move ?

•••
If no registrant change - it will be not locked definitely.
In other case - contact the gaining registrar and opt-out.

•••
@Dynadot just tells me that there is a 60 day lock
after a transfer of a .com
from another registrar

so I wouldn't be able to sell that domain
and transfer out to the customers registrar
for example after 10 days

does anybody know a trustworthy registrar that handles that differently

•••
You can push it to the buyer's account or to Sedo's escrow account at Dynadot (and this is enough to get your money).

•••
You can push it to the buyer's account or to Sedo's escrow account at Dynadot (and this is enough to get your money).

yes I understand

still my question is valid

•••
•••
+ Dyna has opt-out checkbox.

Last edited:
•••
+ Dyna has opt-out checkbox.

in their FAQ they state that this opt-out is not valid for new regs and transfers
but only for changes in the whois data

•••
Per my understanding, 60 days lock after your transfer to Dyna is applicable only to those TLDs where it is STILL used by REGISTRY.
Like Afilias .PRO/.ORG/.info and various CentralNic TLDs (.xyz/.online etc.)

•••
Does Netsol allows transfer out for new reg within 60 days lock? if not, how to initiate the opt out process?

•••
Opt-out is related to the Registrant change only.
It is impossible to remove 60 days lock after registration/transfer if it is set by REGISTRY or Registrar's policy.

•••
Maybe we need a thread (pinned ?) that mentions platforms that do pushes or pulls and policies for each registrar.

Like "undeveloped" will do godaddy push but might not do NetSol or something.

An actively updated list, maybe updated weekly or monthly, where we could see how each platform will treat our sales so we can decide where to move domains or what to expect after a sale.

•••
So the only feasible way is to do a push within the registrar for new reg sale to buyer.

•••
I can add that ALL LogicBoxes based registrars/resellers (ResellerClub/BigRock/Whois.com etc.) are able to initiate the transfer-in below 60 days age.

•••
After you transfer a name to Namesilo they won't let you transfer it out for 60 days:
https://www.namesilo.com/Support/How-to-transfer-away-from-NameSilo

But once it is there you can sell it to the buyer through their marketplace, commission is 7% or 3% if buyer pays by wire. Buyer creates Namesilo account, buys, pays, gets domain immediately.

•••
name.com does not show AUTH code and doesn't allow removing the lock in the transfer lock period even if you opt it out.
Transferring domains is cheaper than renewing. So I usually transfer to renew. But I have to wait for 60 days even if I opt out. Plus some buyers may not buy if they can't transfer out.

Opt out 60 days lock seems not working anywhere, at least for dot coms.

•••
As far as I am aware. ICANN says if you transfer a domain within 45 days after renewal, they refund the original registrar your renewal fee, take the transfer fee from the receiving registrar, and don't add an extra year to the expiry date. So there is a financial incentive NOT to transfer a domain 45 days after renewal date. I've experienced this first hand. It's fact.

I've always assumed the 60 day transfer lock at the new registrar was an ICANN policy. But in fact I think they leave this to each registrar. I don't know any registrar who ever has changed from that limit. It seems to be universally applied.

Last edited:
•••
The gaining registrar doesn't matter de jure.
But de facto some registrars can't even initiate the transfer if age is below 60 days (@Dynadot and @namesilo as examples).
They still don't understand the modern transfer process.

I don't think ANY registrar can release a new domain less than 60 days old. I'm sure that is ICANN ruling.

•••
Plus some buyers may not buy if they can't transfer out.

That interesting. I guess different people have different experiences. I've been reselling domains off and on since about 2005/2006 and I have never had a buyer have a problem with a push instead of a transfer.

I have a push-only policy. I don't believe in getting involved in transfers. The less hands in the mix, the better.

But I would consider a transfer IF the sale was over a certain amount and it meant losing a sale if I did not engage in the transfer, assuming the current registrar is reputable.

To me, it makes no sense why someone would care if it was a push or a transfer.

Last edited:
•••
I don't think ANY registrar can release a new domain less than 60 days old. I'm sure that is ICANN ruling.
No such mandatory requirements by ICANN.
I have successfully transferred even 1 day old domains from 1and1.
Because Donuts doesn't set 60 days per their TLDs, 1and1 as well.

Last edited:
•••
Back