IT.COM

opinion Open Letter To Pro Domainers on NamePros

NameSilo
Watch

oskaaay

Founder, GetDomainData.comEstablished Member
Impact
Hi NPers,

In my few time here on Namepros have observed somethings which made me create this open letter. I may be wrong to some or right to others. Whichever side, have just made my view and opinion known.

To Pro Domainers Responding To Threads :

First, you deserve accolades and appreciation for doing your best to help starter domainers. You deserve nothing than a heart of gratitude and big THANK YOU!

NOTE BEFORE YOU READ ON: The term Pro does not target any specific namepros badge like "Pro" "VIP" or others.

I am of a belief, no matter how well experienced you are or claim to be in the domain business. Each name is unique and you can not always 100% invalidate a domainers portfolio because they seem not to go inline with what you think works.

Considering my experience in SEO, there are authority tools that tell you a keyword is 0 search volume and waste of time writing on it. Then, you follow your instinct or just simply ready to explore new grounds and break the limits not minding the risks - Only for that same keyword article to explode later bringing you an organic traffic fortune.

In the domain world, one man's food is another man's poison and so another man's poison fit well as a favourite for another. For example, I can't imagine myself eating animals like a Lizard or Scorpion due to my Nigeria background which made them plenty and playing around us daily because we don't see them as edible but I think that is opposite for a Chinese man.

So, will encourage pro domainers - Please, don't always throw a blanket ban on other domainers portfolio especially starters.

It's good you let them know that some of their choices may not be right but at the same time let them realize if they do their homework well and discover something not known by most including yourself worthy enough for them to take the risk, then they should do in as much as they are ready to bear the consequences.

Mind you, just like @Bob Hawkes stated in this thread https://www.namepros.com/threads/an-inquiry-come-a-day-after-handreg-a-name.1166010/page-2 , a domain is just a year experiment.

If you see that it does not worth it, you have a whole 12months to test the market and easily drop it just by simply avoiding renewal.

You have not trapped except if you go overboard with reg for 5 to 10years at a go which a smart domainer will not do for uncertain domain names.

To me, Domain is like exploration, don't cage anyone's mind....... let's all explore and diversify....it makes our domaining world more exciting and goes round.

Love you all

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Just like in Brandables, most short names are scares and when found are costly. So is SEO featured domains, most times the domains with the best SEO features are not the sweet names.

So, one does have to then choose which is your priority over another. Sweet brandable with no or less SEO value or less or no brandable with full SEO value that can make a website of 1-month delivery the kind of organic traffic for your quality content that new domain can only dream of at 2years+ of running the site.

Everything boils down to end-users preferences and needs or just wants.

•••
Can you see the difference between speculation vs fact vs spamming.

If I am to speculate on a keyword I will buy every single word I want to go with it before I open my mouth.
This is true *speculation* even if previous sales history is low I am putting own balls on line.

Then there is *fact* I buy keywords to go along with my niche that have some proven sales history with similar niches with sales some are just easy to spot sales bread and butter lines.

If user is only *spammer" and registered a few domains but tells everyone about the niche being so valuable but has nothing to back it up. Idea is to inflate a price that doesn't exist.

If truly a *speculation" they would have cleaned it out keywords and first made sales. Now seems to be a bit of confusion whether or not you agree with the first some feel they can speculate and spam without proof and others should just follow.

•••
Can you see the difference between speculation vs fact vs spamming.

If I am to speculate on a keyword I will buy every single word I want to go with it before I open my mouth.
This is true *speculation* even if previous sales history is low I am putting own balls on line.

Then there is *fact* I buy keywords to go along with my niche that have some proven sales history with similar niches with sales some are just easy to spot sales bread and butter lines.

If user is only *spammer" and registered a few domains but tells everyone about the niche being so valuable but has nothing to back it up. Idea is to inflate a price that doesn't exist.

If truly a *speculation" they would have cleaned it out keywords and first made sales. Now seems to be a bit of confusion whether or not you agree with the first some feel they can speculate and spam without proof and others should just follow.

True there are those that don't even have a focus in domaining....they just believe they can gamble here and there and win the lottery :xf.eek:O_o:xf.rolleyes::xf.cool::xf.wink::xf.grin:

•••
I think the truth hurts sometimes, but we should be pursuing truth in our communications on this forum. I'm grateful for the pro opinions shared by NP veterans and I respect them for their contributions which have made NP the place for sharing and learning about domain investing. I've been a member for nearly a year and I'm outspoken about certain topics, but one thing remains consistent; I approach these boards with humility and awareness that I am a novice with a lot to learn.

MrAcidic mentioned "entitlement" a while back. I think that's a relevant word. I think this topic reeks of entitlement and a lack of respect for the veterans who contribute their thoughts and opinions ...and experience, to noobs with very little to offer in return, voluntarily.

I don't like it.

•••
“Remember: when people tell you something’s wrong or doesn’t work for them, they are almost always right. When they tell you exactly what they think is wrong and how to fix it, they are almost always wrong.”
– Neil Gaiman

It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better.
The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly.
So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.”

– Theodore Roosevelt

Personally I appreciate all kinds of criticism and learn from them. And every day I visit namepros to read all kinds of posts just to know the mindset of people who had been in domaining before me, I read where they appraise, where they criticize( either constructively or otherwise) other members and I have seen results.

•••
As a member who will occasionally provide advice ( my opinion ) to a newbie or other member seeking advice, it is without the benefit of an accurate crystal ball on my desk.

If a person of any stature or any duration with domains posts and ask questions about the quality or value of their domains that person should anticipate the responses being either the good, the bad or the ugly and usually the last two.

Why?

Usually the inquirer has just joined NPs, is new to domains and just registered a batch of names that to the more experienced domain folks just doesn't jive with what is or has been selling and accordingly they respond.

It seems to me that people with badges as well as those without are usually offering personal experiential advice and hard won wisdom to new folks who asked for it in an effort to save them time and money.

I am of the opinion that anybody who wants to invest $50.00 or $500,000.00 of their own money in anything legal is more than welcome to do so - as long as their kids and dependents are provided for should their venture, domains or otherwise, fall flat.

•••
Also, you are accurate with the "even the good ones aren’t too valuable in terms of SEO" because I do take time to do SEO check on domain sales list and one of my recent discover were sales that capped around $5,000 - $20,000 on Uniregistery which has no SEO value. In fact, most of them seat at Domain Authority (DA1), Page Authority (PA1) and SpamScore of 50%-80%.

As for me have chosen the part of the domains for SEO use as a focus over other criteria like 1L,2L,3L,4L, brandable etc. which I know for sure is a total turn off for another domainer (most) portfolio focus.
What a cabbage pudding you have in your head about SEO, my friend.

Listen carefully: i'm not disrespectful here, i'm just straight up guy giving an advice to a nice fellow domainer. You don't know a shit about SEO. You better go to some SEO forums and learn at least something, before giving others your homegrown advice and posting total nonsense in your daily SEO lists.

You seem to be a nice and honest guy and i wish you all luck, but you need to really open your eyes and ears and listen to your experienced fellows. Otherwise, what's a point of asking questions here? To show off your homegrown ideas? Show us some sales instead.

•••
It works both ways. I try to provide helpful information and advice but frequently run into new investors with obvious attitude problems who seem to think they know it all. Many people only seem to want feeback that agrees with their view. It happens all the time in appraisal threads.

I would say it helps far more to be blunt than sugar coat something. At the same time if you are going to say a domain isn't good, at least give a short response on why that is the case. Otherwise it is not very helpful.

Brad is spot on with this comment. I give advice as often as I can to new domainers, or any domainer for that matter. People dont have to take the advice, you can do with it what you want, I certainly wont be offended in any way, however when people get defensive about the negative comments or advice they receive and start insulting you when you have taken time out of your day to give them "free" advice, then those are the people that I would prefer not to see on NP, the ones who have been in the game for 6 months and seem to know everything. I love seeing people register average or crappy names, receive some negative feedback, go away and a month later come back with some new names that are a lot better, those are the domainers that I am happy to help out whether it in the public area or via private message, the ones that realise their mistakes and are willing to learn and improve their skills.

Respect is earned in any industry and this one is no different. I don't proclaim to be an expert or pro in domaining and I too am learning new tactics and selling methods all the time, but I have been doing it a while and will always try and help a newcomer when I can blatantly see them buying loads of names that will never sell. Listening and taking advice from people who have been doing it for a long time is not the only way, but certainly a good way to learn.

•••

Listen carefully: i'm not disrespectful here, i'm just straight up guy giving an advice to a nice fellow domainer. You don't know a sh*t about SEO. You better go to some SEO forums and learn at least something, before giving others your homegrown advice and posting total nonsense in your daily SEO lists.

You seem to be a nice and honest guy and i wish you all luck, but you need to really open your eyes and ears and listen to your experienced fellows. Otherwise, what's a point of asking questions here? To show off your homegrown ideas? Show us some sales instead.

Thanks for your comment but next time learn to be courteous and that what am pointing out.

Within a month that I venture into SEO focused domaining sold over 12 out of my 50+ portfolio. If you claim to be a Pro, you don't disrespect even newbies by rubbishing their ideas.

What do you know about SEO that makes you classified what am doing as home growing?

Can you show me just a website you ever build from scratch with SEO done yourself and not outsourced and got 1,000+ pages indexed on Google, Bing etc?

I laugh at people of your class and they are the type of Pros am pointing out.

Even if you know better, there are ways you correct those behind that they hold you in high esteem not rubbishing them and expect respect in return. Life does not work that way man

For my daily list, its free and no one is compelled to use it. Mean why show me your own contribution to the domaining or SEO world before you rubish mineO_o:oops::xf.rolleyes::xf.love::xf.eek::xf.grin::xf.grin::xf.grin::xf.grin::xf.grin::xf.grin::xf.grin::xf.grin::xf.grin:

•••
Most the domains posted on here are utter trash. Doesn't mean they won't sometimes sell, but flukes happen all the time. Generally speaking, the advice given to people is normally sensible and based on good experience.

•••

You don't know a sh*t about SEO. You better go to some SEO forums and learn at least something, before giving others your homegrown advice and posting total nonsense in your daily SEO lists.

Show us some sales instead.

What do you know about SEO that makes you classified what am doing as home growing?

I laugh at people of your class and they are the type of Pros am pointing out.

Life does not work that way man

..subscribing

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back