IT.COM

opinion Open Letter To Pro Domainers on NamePros

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

oskaaay

Founder, GetDomainData.comEstablished Member
Impact
Hi NPers,

In my few time here on Namepros have observed somethings which made me create this open letter. I may be wrong to some or right to others. Whichever side, have just made my view and opinion known.

To Pro Domainers Responding To Threads :

First, you deserve accolades and appreciation for doing your best to help starter domainers. You deserve nothing than a heart of gratitude and big THANK YOU!

NOTE BEFORE YOU READ ON: The term Pro does not target any specific namepros badge like "Pro" "VIP" or others.

I am of a belief, no matter how well experienced you are or claim to be in the domain business. Each name is unique and you can not always 100% invalidate a domainers portfolio because they seem not to go inline with what you think works.

Considering my experience in SEO, there are authority tools that tell you a keyword is 0 search volume and waste of time writing on it. Then, you follow your instinct or just simply ready to explore new grounds and break the limits not minding the risks - Only for that same keyword article to explode later bringing you an organic traffic fortune.

In the domain world, one man's food is another man's poison and so another man's poison fit well as a favourite for another. For example, I can't imagine myself eating animals like a Lizard or Scorpion due to my Nigeria background which made them plenty and playing around us daily because we don't see them as edible but I think that is opposite for a Chinese man.

So, will encourage pro domainers - Please, don't always throw a blanket ban on other domainers portfolio especially starters.

It's good you let them know that some of their choices may not be right but at the same time let them realize if they do their homework well and discover something not known by most including yourself worthy enough for them to take the risk, then they should do in as much as they are ready to bear the consequences.

Mind you, just like @Bob Hawkes stated in this thread https://www.namepros.com/threads/an-inquiry-come-a-day-after-handreg-a-name.1166010/page-2 , a domain is just a year experiment.

If you see that it does not worth it, you have a whole 12months to test the market and easily drop it just by simply avoiding renewal.

You have not trapped except if you go overboard with reg for 5 to 10years at a go which a smart domainer will not do for uncertain domain names.

To me, Domain is like exploration, don't cage anyone's mind....... let's all explore and diversify....it makes our domaining world more exciting and goes round.

Love you all

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
after all, we are not evaluating the person, but the domain names which has been registered, and if we are tough but true at the same time, we can help the person.
Hi
I think the point in the post above has been missed by quite a few
as they take the words in the replies they read, personally.... rather than from a business enhancement perspective.

you got folks trying to advise others, how advice should be given,
what tone to use, how to frame your replies, language expression, etc. ...
but, some of those same folks don't have the same experience as the one giving the advice,
yet they want to say how that same advice that they aren't qualified to give, should be stated.
what...huh?

Something I find interesting in my line of work is that the higher up the corporate ladder I speak to people the more they value "bluntness" I can talk with a manager and have chat before getting around the to the purpose of the call, but when I speak to a CHRO or SVP they want you to get to the point and have no time for niceties.

This is not being rude merely that time is a commodity for successful people and they respect people getting to the point and being articulate about it......people should not mix bluntness for rudeness which a lot of people seem to do.

thank you for your post @MrAcidic !
what you posted is exactly the mentality that aspiring domainers should strive to reach.

sure, there are times when one has to elaborate, but getting to the point with least amount of words, is crucial.to understanding the point, and not getting lost in a jungle of useless jibber.

imo..

•••
Hi

if you only want to hear or read what pleases you,
then maybe you should write your own replies

you can't decide how others choose to express themselves, if and when, they choose to reply.

and if you don't like the replies, then maybe refrain from posting remarks that are questionable enough for someone like me, to question.

I've read some of your posts and I questioned them.
maybe you didn't like what or how I said what I said, but it had to be said the way, it was expressed.

you might see names from seo perspective and I and others see them differently, so there is a conflict.
if you can't deal with those contrasting viewpoints, then you won't last long

imo...
That is the point you are still missing and the attitudes am pointing out in so-called Pros. Our different domaining focus should not be a conflict.

Your criteria for choosing domain are not the industry standard neither is mine because at the end of the day we have different buyers for different criteria.

Your criticism does not move me an inch if you have the opportunity to meet me in person am a died hard believer of whatever I do because I know my sort well.

If you are pro in your own domaining niche, there are better ways to help starters with your knowledge and even when your nail them for wrong choices they will be able to be more receptive to you.

Your response above if out of context sincerely and depict the same thing the thread point at.

•••
Hi
I think the point in the post above has been missed by quite a few
as they take the words in the replies they read, personally.... rather than from a business enhancement perspective.

you got folks trying to advise others, how advice should be given,
what tone to use, how to frame your replies, language expression, etc. ...
but, some of those same folks don't have the same experience as the one giving the advice,
yet they want to say how that same advice that they aren't qualified to give, should be stated.
what...huh?

thank you for your post @MrAcidic !
what you posted is exactly the mentality that aspiring domainers should strive to reach.

sure, there are times when one has to elaborate, but getting to the point with least amount of words, is crucial.to understanding the point, and not getting lost in a jungle of useless jibber.

imo..

So who is behind that username or avatar?

One of the difficult things about domaining compared to most industries is that for the most part you don’t know much if anything about the person you are conversing with, getting advice from. There are exceptions of course, people get to meet people at domain conferences, (though no one has on their badge, I am broke or I am a scammer). There are also high profile domainers who share a lot and use their real name.

Opinions or advice without knowing anything behind the person giving them are pretty empty imo.

You get people who give opinions on names in appraisal sections and you have no idea if they know anything about the industry said name belongs to. Do they know anything about linguistics, branding? No?

The value of that opinion is reg fee, like so many domains are appraised at reg fee. The theory for some goes if someone paid $9 for it then it can’t be worthless, others would differ in their opinion. So the same goes for people, you have the right to speak and to give an opinion, but it equates to reg fee.

Same goes with negotiation advice, some people give very bad advice in forums and blog comments. For the person seeking negotiation advice, all they know is MetallicaFan has a sweet avatar but might not even know how to negotiate for an extra .50 an hour at their job.

The worst advice in my opinion, comes from those anonymous sources who are giving legal advice. “You tell that company to go f themselves!” “I would ignore it, you have every right to own a name with Instagram it.” Yeah might be better to contact Berryhill or Lieberman. The truth is most domainers who participate on forums and blogs know very little to nothing about TM law and intellectual property.

Another thing that happens with not knowing the people you interact with is there are many false narratives that get built up.

This is Domaining When The Legend Becomes Fact Print The Legend

One tidbit that surprised a lot of people came up in the CQD.com case on Namepros. James Booth had unknowingly bought a stolen domain, that belonged to a lady in Florida.

One of the hot takes of that thread was some people who never met or knew anything about Mr.Booth, declaring he was a millionaire and that he should just eat the loss, he can afford it.

To which Mr. Booth posted:

I had a couple people say to me they were flabbergasted that Booth was not a millionaire. I asked the one person if they ever met James or knew anything about him? They just figured that they saw him mentioned on Namepros and DNJournal so he was rich.

You have to do your homework in the business and verify from more than one source if you are going to spend money, or make a deal.

There was a recent thread on Namepros where someone was going to make a large purchase for a domain name because of a previous sale that they saw mentioned. The sale was not a sale but just an auction close that never got paid. You can read it here, it’s long and sometimes confusing.

The takeaway is not confusing though, you need to do your homework thoroughly, you need to be meticulous before making a decision that affects your domain business.

In this business no one really knows a lot about anyone. Hopefully you know yourself and go from there. Best of luck.

•••

One of the difficult things about domaining compared to most industries is that for the most part you don’t know much if anything about the person you are conversing with, getting advice from. There are exceptions of course, people get to meet people at domain conferences, (though no one has on their badge, I am broke or I am a scammer). There are also high profile domainers who share a lot and use their real name.

Opinions or advice without knowing anything behind the person giving them are pretty empty imo.

You get people who give opinions on names in appraisal sections and you have no idea if they know anything about the industry said name belongs to. Do they know anything about linguistics, branding? No?

The value of that opinion is reg fee, like so many domains are appraised at reg fee. The theory for some goes if someone paid $9 for it then it can’t be worthless, others would differ in their opinion. So the same goes for people, you have the right to speak and to give an opinion, but it equates to reg fee.

Same goes with negotiation advice, some people give very bad advice in forums and blog comments. For the person seeking negotiation advice, all they know is MetallicaFan has a sweet avatar but might not even know how to negotiate for an extra .50 an hour at their job.

The worst advice in my opinion, comes from those anonymous sources who are giving legal advice. “You tell that company to go f themselves!” “I would ignore it, you have every right to own a name with Instagram it.” Yeah might be better to contact Berryhill or Lieberman. The truth is most domainers who participate on forums and blogs know very little to nothing about TM law and intellectual property.

Another thing that happens with not knowing the people you interact with is there are many false narratives that get built up.

One tidbit that surprised a lot of people came up in the CQD.com case on Namepros. James Booth had unknowingly bought a stolen domain, that belonged to a lady in Florida.

One of the hot takes of that thread was some people who never met or knew anything about Mr.Booth, declaring he was a millionaire and that he should just eat the loss, he can afford it.

I had a couple people say to me they were flabbergasted that Booth was not a millionaire. I asked the one person if they ever met James or knew anything about him? They just figured that they saw him mentioned on Namepros and DNJournal so he was rich.

You have to do your homework in the business and verify from more than one source if you are going to spend money, or make a deal.

There was a recent thread on Namepros where someone was going to make a large purchase for a domain name because of a previous sale that they saw mentioned. The sale was not a sale but just an auction close that never got paid. You can read it here, it’s long and sometimes confusing.

The takeaway is not confusing though, you need to do your homework thoroughly, you need to be meticulous before making a decision that affects your domain business.

In this business no one really knows a lot about anyone. Hopefully you know yourself and go from there. Best of luck.
What a great post, made we want to come out the closet.....

My LinkedIn profile might not tell people who or what I am but it gives a little bit of transparency to what I do (outside of my hobby!) :xf.wink: (y)

https://www.linkedin.com/in/nicholas-barrett-globalmobilityandhr

•••
PS Thanks to @oskaaay for courage for the open letter. I am not sure that Domain Industry News is the right place for this thread, but will leave that decision to the hard-working and wise moderators. We should thank them more often. (y)
Indeed appreciate your contribution and its unbiased. Kudos

The Napros moderators are indeed smart and hard-working and they have been helping me to relocate my threads to right places.
First am new here and secondly, there are a lot of sections that some may agree it could become confusing at times where your post fit correctly until the moderator help place it in the right section.
Doing my best to explore more of the NP sections, so could help with placing my post more accurately.

•••
Your criticism does not move me an inch
You seem to miss the fact that forum is a public discussion and any reply to you is not meant for you alone. While you may not change your point at all there are multiple other readers.

•••
If I ask for an opinion on one of my names, I want the truth. I do not want a sugar coated response as this will not help me learn. If it is sh*t then I would rather be told it is and why it is......

A lot of people are just looking for some kind of self justification are not really looking for the truth.

If you want an honest opinion then be prepared to read something you might not like......

That's true. I understand that people naturally do against the truth.

But this is my point.

Some so-called Pros here based on responses have read in several threads most time do a right-off instead of laying down the starters mistake from their point of view and then also let starters know that domaining is not an all in one thing. Your decision could still pay off but this and that is the risk they can perceive based on years of experience. Not totally writing them off.

I still maintain my stand, the end-user determines a lot, not fellow domainers.

Have you ever tried to sell to a fellow in the same business line offline before like computer engineering? They will tell you it worth nothing more than $100 what they will go out and sell for about $1,000-$2,000+ if you are not informed to sell it to them for the $100 value tag they gave you.

•••
You seem to miss the fact that forum is a public discussion and any reply to you is not meant for you alone. While you may not change your point at all there are multiple other readers.
hmmmm..you made a point and accept my default there. Thanks

•••

But this is my point.

Some so-called Pros here based on responses have read in several threads most time do a right-off instead of laying down the starters mistake from their point of view and then also let starters know that domaining is not an all in one thing. Your decision could still pay off but this and that is the risk they can perceive based on years of experience. Not totally writing them off.

Have you ever tried to sell to a fellow in the same business line offline before like computer engineering? They will tell you it worth nothing more than $100 what they will go out and sell for about $1,000-$2,000+ if you are not informed to sell it to them for the $100 value tag they gave you.
Why do most people think they are entitled to help?

They should be helping themselves by reading and doing research. No one is entitled to anything, you have to work for it. People should not be relying on handouts because of some kind of perceived expectation that an experienced person is automatically going to pour out their years of hard work on a plate just because someone asked.....

2d5ce35b3cc61876f9390aa322b8b224--entitlement-quotes-sense-of-entitlement.jpg

•••

But this is my point.

I am not sure what you are expecting but using a term like "so-called Pros" is not real positive.
It comes off as rather disrespectful.

Comments, feedback, and advice are free here.
So do with that what you will.

Brad

•••
Edit addition: Its been brought to my attention, years ago, that the reason for the "pros" giving disrespectful responses to new comers is to discourage growing the number of domainers. This is due to many feeling new comers bring competition and higher auction prices.
hmmmm...this is a take-home, may be reason behind some of those attitudes.

You bring a name, and they bluntly write it off instead of comment like this name may not sell or sell for less due to so and so reason but if you have done your homework well and sure how to get a good buyer for it then it could be a sort-after by someone out there.

After all, we see names selling daily at prices that beat domain appraisal tools (either in the form of human or tools) forecast

•••
Picture0007.png

I could give my two cents about this but those lyrics have already been written...

Now look at them yo-yo's, that's the way you do it
You tap the keyboard on the namepros site
That ain't workin' that's the way you do it
Money for nothin' and your chicks for free
Now that ain't workin' that's the way you do it
Lemme tell ya, them guys ain't dumb
Maybe get a blister on your little finger
Maybe get a blister on your thumb
We got to install microwave ovens, custom kitchen deliveries
We got to move these refrigerators, we gotta move these color TV's
See the domainer, typing in his PJ's
That little bugger he's a millionaire
We got to install microwave ovens, custom kitchen deliveries
We got to move these refrigerators, we gotta move these color TV's
We got to…

PROBLEM IS MOST EVERYONE CAN SING THE WORDS BUT ONLY A FEW WILL LIVE IT !!!

Last edited:
•••
It works both ways. I try to provide helpful information and advice but frequently run into new investors with obvious attitude problems who seem to think they know it all. Many people only seem to want feeback that agrees with their view. It happens all the time in appraisal threads.
Sure some starters don't know and don't want to learn. Maybe there own thread is coming up too someday.

•••
Hi NPers,

In my few time here on Namepros have observed somethings which made me create this open letter. I may be wrong to some or right to others. Whichever side, have just made my view and opinion known.

To Pro Domainers Responding To Threads :

First, you deserve accolades and appreciation for doing your best to help starter domainers. You deserve nothing than a heart of gratitude and big THANK YOU!

NOTE BEFORE YOU READ ON: The term Pro does not target any specific namepros badge like "Pro" "VIP" or others.

I am of a belief, no matter how well experienced you are or claim to be in the domain business. Each name is unique and you can not always 100% invalidate a domainers portfolio because they seem not to go inline with what you think works.

Considering my experience in SEO, there are authority tools that tell you a keyword is 0 search volume and waste of time writing on it. Then, you follow your instinct or just simply ready to explore new grounds and break the limits not minding the risks - Only for that same keyword article to explode later bringing you an organic traffic fortune.

In the domain world, one man's food is another man's poison and so another man's poison fit well as a favourite for another. For example, I can't imagine myself eating animals like a Lizard or Scorpion due to my Nigeria background which made them plenty and playing around us daily because we don't see them as edible but I think that is opposite for a Chinese man.

So, will encourage pro domainers - Please, don't always throw a blanket ban on other domainers portfolio especially starters.

It's good you let them know that some of their choices may not be right but at the same time let them realize if they do their homework well and discover something not known by most including yourself worthy enough for them to take the risk, then they should do in as much as they are ready to bear the consequences.

Mind you, just like @Bob Hawkes stated in this thread https://www.namepros.com/threads/an-inquiry-come-a-day-after-handreg-a-name.1166010/page-2 , a domain is just a year experiment.

If you see that it does not worth it, you have a whole 12months to test the market and easily drop it just by simply avoiding renewal.

You have not trapped except if you go overboard with reg for 5 to 10years at a go which a smart domainer will not do for uncertain domain names.

To me, Domain is like exploration, don't cage anyone's mind....... let's all explore and diversify....it makes our domaining world more exciting and goes round.

Love you all

I'm not sure what exactly the complaint is. Looking at some of the domains you're selling on your site:

New-Balance574.com

Soccer--Shoes.com

QuickDir.info

Lasix-Online-Furosemide.info

etc.

First, if you ask for opinions on a forum, you might actually get some. But then you can't complain about them, because it'll run the range. Some may like your names, some may not. Some might be short, get to the point, not go into it very much. Some may respond with book length type responses. That's the way it goes.

As far as domains like the ones above, most are going to say they're not good. Trademark issues, double dashes, names that don't make sense etc. These are not names I would touch.

The thing is, you're going at it from a different angle and it make work for YOU. I have no idea the market for those type of names, you may. So if that's the case, I'm not sure why you would even ask for opinions or care.

Again, at the end of the day, you're either making money/profit or not. It's a very simple business to measure.

•••
There is also another way to look at the criticism - maybe not so traditional and for sensitive people, but - some people even welcome criticism, and if it is not somehow coming, they are faciliating it.

For example, less then year ago I opened a thread here, and even paid $50 to people so THEY COULD CRITICISE my portfolio names. Needless to say, I got lot of heat coming from that, and it was not always pleasant. But I personally think it is very useful exercise - and if I do not have good arguments, I should really listen to critics .. it will save MY money at the end :)

PS: if you do it that way, be ready for some really hard comments and some heat - it is a part of the debate process, though and can be useful at the end.

•••
I don't know if there is more explanation to "taking domaining as a year experiment" idea. But I Personally believe that is a wrong way to look at this.

Domaining is a decade to lifetime decisions. It is better to get it right before you commit a lot to it, else you will live regretting it.

Never take domaining as a year investment or experiment. Else you will be desperate and make a lot of wrong decisions every year. Get names that will be valuable and can be kept for children and children's children.

That is the angle to look at domaining from.

Last edited:
•••
I don't know if there is more explanation to "taking domaining as a year experiment" idea.
I think it came from the following that I said in another thread. It was not a statement about an entire portfolio, but rather to urge those who try a speculative niche as a part of that portfolio, to not automatically renew them without looking at evidence a year in. Here is my complete post, except the part making reference to a particular case. Hope that clarifies.
Bob
just wanted to stress when people do take a chance on speculative names it is important to not automatically renew. If no offers, no one else selling similar, often the right choice is not to renew. I think, possibly, there is too much of a mindset to automatically renew in our industry, whereas a periodic critical evaluation might lead to different response.

Last edited:
•••
I think the only criticism professionals should give is constructive criticism. To tell someone on an open platform that all their domains are rubbish is so damaging. Yes we need to know where we are going wrong, I get that. I myself have been told I have nothing worth anything other than reg fee. However, I know I will make sales. It's just a case of when. I just wish people would research something before they say it's rubbish. Maybe thinking outside the box is a good thing now and then. Just my own opinion of course.

Peace

•••
I did not read such a thought- and respectful thread opening for a long time @oskaaay

This spirit brings value to the forum. Your domains may be not best on the market but who cares. You are convinced of your abilities, your passion and your tools, so just continue.

99.9 % of Namepros members (estimation) are only trying to sell their inventory. They never take part in discussions like this one. This must be 99.8 % of all domainers because we have learned in this thread that the most important ones do not even have a Namepros account.

The remaining members/domainers are those engaging in threads like this. Let me call them the dirty dozen, though they seem to be two or three dozens big. It doesn´t matter if you feel supported or criticized by their posts, they just donate their opinion and experience and do not try to sell to you.

Stay as you are: extraordinary and intelligent. And improve your name choice skills (by continuing to ask, promote and doubt). I can tell you this is life-long learning.

•••

Always! Take your time to learn the whole truth about ... ! There are many different pieces / trails that make up the whole picture.

•••
This is nothing more than creating awareness.IMO Period

•••
Time will tell. Stay true to you, no excuses. ;)

Samer

Last edited:
•••
I strongly disagree with the main point of your post.
I mean, we all must be polite with each other, this is the foundation of being a decent human being, not a domainer.
But apart from that domain regs are not experiments, but investments. And I wish I would have had someone to be even harder on me when more than 10 years ago I was regging .asia or .im domains.
It would have saved me a lot of money.
At that time you could buy a random LLL.com for mid X.XXX and I could have bought a couple of them instead of regging crap.
Add to this that most of the time when a new domainer ask for an advice on his new .crap domains and someone politely reply "they are worth zero" the new domainer doesn't accept the advice because it's attached to the investment he just made (doesn't happen all the time obviously).
So I think we must be even more direct giving advices.

•••
I did not read such a thought- and respectful thread opening for a long time @oskaaay

This spirit brings value to the forum. Your domains may be not best on the market but who cares. You are convinced of your abilities, your passion and your tools, so just continue.

99.9 % of Namepros members (estimation) are only trying to sell their inventory. They never take part in discussions like this one. This must be 99.8 % of all domainers because we have learned in this thread that the most important ones do not even have a Namepros account.

The remaining members/domainers are those engaging in threads like this. Let me call them the dirty dozen, though they seem to be two or three dozens big. It doesn´t matter if you feel supported or criticized by their posts, they just donate their opinion and experience and do not try to sell to you.

Stay as you are: extraordinary and intelligent. And improve your name choice skills (by continuing to ask, promote and doubt). I can tell you this is life-long learning.
You are much appreciated too. I will continue to try my best to remain myself, real and authentic. thanks for the feedback

•••
I'm not sure what exactly the complaint is. Looking at some of the domains you're selling on your site:

New-Balance574.com

Soccer--Shoes.com

QuickDir.info

Lasix-Online-Furosemide.info

etc.

First, if you ask for opinions on a forum, you might actually get some. But then you can't complain about them, because it'll run the range. Some may like your names, some may not. Some might be short, get to the point, not go into it very much. Some may respond with book length type responses. That's the way it goes.

As far as domains like the ones above, most are going to say they're not good. Trademark issues, double dashes, names that don't make sense etc. These are not names I would touch.

The thing is, you're going at it from a different angle and it make work for YOU. I have no idea the market for those type of names, you may. So if that's the case, I'm not sure why you would even ask for opinions or care.

Again, at the end of the day, you're either making money/profit or not. It's a very simple business to measure.

If you check domains like that on my website they have an annotation in the front under the domain list table which clearly advises potential buyers that domains like this are best to be used to boost your dofollow backlink profile as 301 redirections not to be used as the main domain on the frontend. With that, you enjoy their SEO features without issues with a trademark or irritating your website users

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back