NameSilo

.mobi One more very simplistic thought on MOBI

Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Even if technology makes the original intent for MOBI erode, I believe the awareness is going to be enough to carry it on as a top extension.

.ORG... Is there really a use need? No, but it has a nice positioning statement and organizations have adopted it.

.EU or any successful country code... Is there really a use need? No, but they have a nice positioning statement and countries adopt them (some more internet-use countries).

.MOBI... Is there really a use need? Yes, in the short term. There is. In the 2-3 year range, probably not. Will there be the level of awareness in the short term to make up for the 2-3 year technology gap? Probably not. Will there be a use need after 2-3 years? Probably not. Does it have a nice positioning statment that some mobile oriented sites will cling on to as they can't afford to purchase a $100,000 .COM? YES. YES. YES.

.MOBI will be a top-3 worldwide extension.

.COM is #1 forever.
.ORG/.EU/.DE/.NET/.CO.UK and other important country codes are useful.
.MOBI is top-3 in 2008... 2009... and beyond.

Troof!
Jeremy Padawer
www.jeremy.com

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I'm not really up on these things but I bet it takes a lot longer than 2-3 years before mobile tech catches up to PC, and even longer for the new devices to replace the old.

And then there is the "house extension" factor, encouraging .MOBI defaults on equipment built by the major promoters, which is a big chunk of the mobile industry.

•••
.mobi crazies

Well, who knows but I think .mobi raises the awareness of the other extensions as well. Right now average Joe only knows .com .net .org mostly..

The slow, gradual release of premium reserved dot mobi names for startling prices will boost the .mobi brand and the domaining industry as a whole alongside. Imagine most of the great one worders and city names and great combos have yet still to be released and paid in record domainer awareness!

Like .mobi or not, its here to stay and has taken the domainer's world by storm.

Plus even if a mobile site can be accessed by a .com it would be an entirely different site than that accessed by a desktop! Won't many site owners want a consistent site for their .com accessed by anyone any means? So the .mobi could be usefel as a mini version of the full site , optimized for the mini screen PDA!

•••
My simplistic thought on .mobi - it sucks. LOL

No that's not it... but this is - it was never needed in the first place. I like seeing people making good money reselling these, but the end-users are nowhere to be seen. Any site that has content wanted by mobile users is already serving it up via their existing websites. If I had such a website I would continue with that and not bother investing in an inflated .mobi and then spend even more building another website. With just a few lines of code I can design a website to detect the browser viewing it and direct it to the appropriate code. I don't need no .mobi for that.

What's more - all these really useless .mobi's will be worth very little come this time next year. Why? Simple - if the equivalent dot com etc doesn't already serve up mobile content there is a very good reason why! There is no demand! And it's not going to magically appear just because of some new extension. Without a website they are useless really.

Best time to buy a .mobi? This time next year when they all start coming up for registration.

.mobi is 2006's version of New Coke.

•••
It doesnt matter if cellular technology becomes as powerful as PCs are today. By then, PCs will be 10x more powerful than they are today. The mobile devices will always be trying to catch up and .mobi sites can always be upgraded to new technologies. Another thing is that no matter how advanced the technology gets in mobile phones and devices, the SCREENS will always remain small so their will always be a need for optimized mobile content. Noone will want to put something the size of a laptop in their pocket and use to make calls. Also, people shouldnt just think of the .mobi as the mobile optimized version of a .com. For example if someone wanted to look up ringtones they could go to a site like ringtones.com and have it automatically recognize they are on a phone and it will optimize itself or they could check out ringtones.mobi which might be a whole different site owned by someones else with different ringtones and stuff. .mobi is unique, not just another computer extension and not just a mobile equivalent of a .com. Even if mobi never takes off and gets mainstream recognition I think the names will still be worth something as long as they are decent names. 95% of the general public still has no clue there is such a thing as a .info or a .us and good words in those extensions are still valuable. I think mobi has the potential to become the 2nd best extension after .com.

•••
whitebark said:
What's more - all these really useless .mobi's will be worth very little come this time next year. Why? Simple - if the equivalent dot com etc doesn't already serve up mobile content there is a very good reason why! There is no demand! And it's not going to magically appear just because of some new extension. Without a website they are useless really.

You don't think people are going to want to access internet content while on the go? Come on now...

•••
nrmillions said:
Another thing is that no matter how advanced the technology gets in mobile phones and devices, the SCREENS will always remain small...
In the back of my mind, I hear this being echoed every time I register a .Mobi domain, and it concerns me. The size factor will always be an issue, and I think it can possibly limit the value of mobile sites and/or domains.

BMW.mobi has a site, sure they do.

But what is it? A few pictures of current auto models, and a way to contact them? That's it. And I look around seeing the same thing, on many of the other .Mobi sites. But it's not their fault, because size DOES matter. And size/space is very limited for them to develop.

So far, having a .Mobi site equates to an online interactive business card... rather than a full blown web site. My personal fear and concern is wondering if it can ever be more than that.

I'm just thinking out loud... please, no stone throwing. :)

Last edited:
•••
-DB-

That is a very important point you raised there.. I also saw the bmw.mobi site and an experimental site by nec.mobi. I also came to the same conclusion that the impact .mobi will have is in Business advert websites. your typical we do this and a pic and that is it.

This could impact the value of the extension but then again marketed correctly could be a good way of advertising via speed on peoples mobiles.

Tips.

•••
whitebark said:
Best time to buy a .mobi? This time next year when they all start coming up for registration.

Two years :hehe: and then we'll see a MAJOR drop in names. I think there will be much buyers remorse, it's the same with all new extensions. I know of a couple of mine I will drop if I don't develope.

And I hope all the naysayers are wrong. I have high hopes for the .mobi extension and high hopes for new mobile technology. It's still all so new, remember computers only really caught on within the last 8 years...hard to predict. I also wish the naysayers would stop repeating themselves in all the theads. :yell:

•••
Time

Kerrijo good point it MAY take some time. I remember I was way ahead of the times in the nineties (so I still haven't "made" it yet) with the internet and now 10 years later only it is mainstream in the West.

It may take some time for .mobi to be common or it may spread fast like any hot internet item does today virally (you tube was only a year and a half old). In grad school they teach the internet market changes very fast, timing is key. But if we must be patient, I know that our names we got now might look at lot better two years from now when good .mobi names are much harder to come by. Worth reregging particularly if we have intentions to develop names for biz (like you alluded to).

Regards,

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back