Dynadot

.mobi The Official .COM vs .MOBI Thread

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
It just occured to me that If I wanted to use a .com for a .mobile address I'd need about $XXX,XXX. Hmmm.

Every expert out there is saying "get a short domain" whatever you do that is "mobile" related.

So what's a person to do who wants to get a piece of the action. My guess is they will go with .mobi. Funny how this appears to be what's happening.

Those folks who say OPERA is the answer to all our problems still hasn't realized that you STILL need a short domain. Yes, I could use .biz, .info or .us but f-that. I got a nice 4-stroke .mobi domain and plan on using it.

Go develop your .mobi domains is what I say. Don't worry about all these ".mobi" hater or "mobi" lover threads.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
very good point izopod.. i think a lot of people missed the obvious on this one.. too concerned with predicting the future...

i have seen a number of .info sites advertised on TV the last few months, at the time i simply thought it was interesting they'd use a .info for their site...

I guess one good reason to have a .info is because most of the good .coms are taken and naturally you can get shorter .info's for way better prices, or even regfee.

The same applies to .mobi only more-so... i think someone could possibly even convince me at some point that they purposely did not use a .com for their website and got a .mobi instead...espesially if the purpose of the site was "mobile related"

But thats enough thinking for today...... you know the rules people, pick a thread and either be a blind cheerleader for .mobi or be a ".mobi hater"... either way, recycling the same statements and arguements over and over... ;)

•••
Room for all extensions to prosper

I don't view it as only a .com -vs- .mobi issue ... but as a .com -plus- .mobi opportunity.
(and plus .us, plus .de, plus .co.uk, plus .info, etc.)

From a user's standpoint, every extension has (but is not limited to) its target/focus audience. If you want to visit only sites in your country (for the most part) you'll type in or only click on site results with that extension. But if its information you want you can get results from a search engine for a .co.uk site even if you live in the US and get some valuable info. The more available info out there on the net, the better. New extensions and websites drive that .

Once established, a .mobi extension will tell the user that the site is designed for mobile use, that they might expect a quick loading site just like .de tells them it's a site based in Germany.

From a website developer's standpoint, every new extension brings another possibility of obtaining a nice keyword for developing an idea into a website with an easy to remember, relevant, short(ish) URL. As far as the need for this new, .mobi mobile-focused estension:

Regarding the extra cost and need to develop another website in another extension - this is an option for a company with an established .com (or .net, or .org, or .us, or .co.uk, etc.). They don't -need- to spend time and money to do so, I believe that they will -want- to expand their reach and advertising message. If a company advertises in Forbes magazine and another magazine comes along, that business will look at the new venue as a chance to reach new potential customers or to reinforce its message to crossover readers.

And from a domainer's standpoint, every new extension brings another possibility of obtaining some nice keyword names from which he may make a fair profit. Some people invest in new condos, office buildings, and other realestate to make a priofit, some buy a property to live there, and some do both. What a wonderful world of options.

•••
Hi

I recently did exactly the opposite yes I have a few short three letter domains, but because I have an interest in photography i also reg a 19 letter domain, cause you never know what this wonderful mobile technology brings. I'll give u an example
I have PXL.mobi-pixel photography related, LandscapePhotography.mobi being the other.

•••
.mobi will make Opera mini useless. Opera just reformats a .com into an ugly site that scrolls forever. With .mobi, Opera isn't needed. The .mobi standards assure that the site will be mobile compatible. I guess that why the backers of Opera are so against it. It's worth mentioning that Opera mini is also a gigantic buggy P.O.S.

Sorry that was probably off topic. Anyways, my opinion is that you should try to find a .mobi that has all of the other extensions taken. A big bonus is if the .com is developed. Make sure you check for TM issues though..

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back