IT.COM

discuss Not knowing who my buyer is

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Whenever I need to make a choice for a domain name, it makes me worried if I do not know who my buyer for the domain name is. Does this happen with you as well?

Let me explain..

So let us take the case of Symphony.com - Now this is a general term and there might be some companies who may have a brandable value for this domain name. Symphony could be a music company or general finance or any other business for that matter. You know that the name is good, is one-word, brandable and brands can benefit from the name.

But in this case, do you know who your buyer would be? Till when would you have to hold the domain name for the right price? I think you do not know this. You are banking on the name more than the prospects who could benefit from the name.

And that brings me to the question:

Do you believe in betting more on the name than on the prospects who might end up buying that name?

Because, at times, you may not know who your buyer is going to be! Just that whoever they are, is going to benefit from the name. How do you make a decision in such a case?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
A domain like Symphony.com is worth a lot of money because it is a single word .COM with an almost endless pool of potential buyers. It doesn't take a domain genius to realize that. :)

The larger the pool of (realistic) potential buyers, the more valuable the domain likely is.

Brad
Don't you think that also reduces the targeting potential because now while the world is your buyer, it is less targeted as such? And you may not know where to look for buyers.

There are some buyers who will buy a term in a secondary extension that they could never afford in .COM.
Brad
What extensions majorly?
That sounds so good. And where do you acquire them from?

I think you should be more concerned about the use case of a domain than who the exact buyer will be.

Getting a great domain with multiple use cases, spanning several niches is ideal compared to a domain that might be restricted in its use.

Compare Air.com and Food.com. Both are great names. But one has more versatility than the other.
Agreed! And that means focusing on the domain name more and not on the exact potential buyers.
A lot of people advise on looking for who the buyer would be and hold to see if they would bite. Even if not this year, then next. And that makes me think - The buyer or one of the buyers.

•••
Of course it is an advantage to know who your buyer is (and logically for the buyer it's the other way aorund), knowledege is (negotiation) power.

However, more important than knowing who your buyer is, is knowing who you are yourself - then you won't worry if you have to make a choice without knowing the buyer.

Last edited:
•••
We must know who the buyer is because we might be dealing with a flipper who is trying to sell a domain he doesn't own (in make offer case).

Voice.com was sold 30M. Why not 5M or 1M. Why not 25M. 25M was offered and it was turned down? If you don't know who the buyer is you can't turn down 25M, because otherwise you may have to wait 10 more years to get 500K or more. Noone would take such a risk.

•••
And hence the question, when you do the research, do you look at the potential buyers? Or do you simply look at the domain name and think that someone will end up buying.

Neither explicitly , The first thing in my logic in registering domains is to understand the businesses that I'm trying to appeal to. I learnt early on Not to venture into Industries and Businesses that I had no or very little knowledge off. You see it all the time here on NP's where a domainer follows a random path of registrations or Goes overboard on a business subject they've never experienced. Then wonder why they can't sell them.

We are , in the majority, One man business investors - don't try to be 'All things to all Men' Your expertise is NOT there

Last edited:
•••
When the domain name price is in line with your psychological expectations, I think I can avoid knowing who the buyer is.

of course,The higher the price, the better:xf.smile:

•••
We must know who the buyer is because we might be dealing with a flipper who is trying to sell a domain he doesn't own (in make offer case).
Sometimes it is just not possible to know who the buyer is, simple as that.

But of course you always have the option of telling him that you will not sell it to him as long as he prefers to remain anonymous (if his identity is more important for you than a fast sale).

Also, once I've made a price - decision, it makes no difference to me whether the buyer is a flipper or not - at the end he is simply the buyer and I don't care what he will do with his domain name then.

Voice.com was sold 30M. Why not 5M or 1M. Why not 25M. 25M was offered and it was turned down? If you don't know who the buyer is you can't turn down 25M, because otherwise you may have to wait 10 more years to get 500K or more. Noone would take such a risk.
Feel free to believe it was really sold for that price ... but please don't expect the same from me.

What you can (safely) expect if someone (or a (financially strong) company) offers you $ 25 million for a domain name, are at least the following three things:

1.)
He
(they) really want(s) the domain name (which reduces your risk when making a counter offer).

2.)
He
(they) have way more money to play with (a millionaire ((financially strong) company) won't give away his (their) last shirt (reserves)).

3.)
He
(they) know you are in no hurry to sell it.

🚩
If you know your domain name, you don't have to know the buyer.

Last edited:
•••
If you know your domain name, you don't have to know your buyer.

Hi

that line above,
truly speaks to the level of perception of/from those, who earn the greatest returns from their investments.

in udder werds,
they know value and worth, (which some may not be able to differentiate between the two)
and they know their domains, so "who the potential buyer is", becomes irrelevant to sellers asking price.

in other situations:
when you have BIN priced names and they sell @ BIN, you can find out who buyer was later.
but if you list at Fixed Price, then you don't care you buys... only that it sells.

when you get incoming offer, you can ask for identity of inquirer if unknown or negotiate blindly based on your asking price.
so, you have choices to choose from

when you send solicitation emails, you should know who you sending them to.
but you still need a price, to make a sale.

still. when you have quality domains that pretty much sell themselves, then pricing matters most.

when you have low quality, hard to sell, just registered or thinking of registering type names,
then since they don't sell on their own merit, then yeah....you have to wonder "who" can you sell them to.

having, or acquiring better domains gives you different perspective on domaining.

imo

•••
There are many sites which were sold for 9-10 figures. hotmail.com, rent.com, youtube.com, cloud.com .. not domain-only, but domain plays a big role (there are also ones with awful domains like tumblr, icio.us (not sure about digits)), with a poor domain they would be worth much less. if there is a useful past, 7-8 figures can be possible. (yes, I just visited .., and voice.com doesn't look like a 30M site).

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back