Dynadot

discuss Convincing a potential buyer for additional names

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
One of the dilemmas or the situation that comes up during outbound is convincing a buyer to buy your domain name as an add-on, instead of something that they would upgrade to.

For example, if you are selling, TexasDigitalStudio.com to a potential buyer who already owns and operates a studio called KawasakiStudio.com which is solely based out of Texas, what could be a potential pitch to help him make a decision to buy this and forward it to his existing domain name.

While I use the following, it doesn't seem to convince such buyers a lot:

1) Traffic (mostly such names do not have a lot of traffic). So, I ignore mentioning this, unless it is 100+ a month
2) CPC (how much could they save if they redirect this domain name to their existing site)
3) Value of a buyer (if a buyer who lands through my domain ends up buying his art for $500, the value of the domain is realized)
4) Advertising benefits - How this domain name would only increase in value going forward and now might be the time to grab this

What else could I use to convince the buyer of this being their additional domain name used as a forward?
Anything that you have tried that worked for you?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Why does offering a worse name make any difference to a digital business as geo means nothing if not wanting face to face.

•••
Even with an exact type in it is not a given that it will work as intended with seo.

•••
It is not easy to convince someone to buy a worse domain, which is not an upgrade unless there is a solid reason like targeted traffic or to block competition.

For either of those to apply the domain is usually going to be an upgrade as well.

Brad

•••
I agree with @bmugford

Convincing a buyer of an additional name and selling them on it is a rare circumstance. An easier sell, obviously, is simply owning their "COM", or a shorter / better version of their brand, again in a "COM". If they have an open mind to a new domain, and can see such and such is technically better. Example: If they are Texas Digital Studio, and you own Texas Digital...a far stronger consideration, than any add-on

Last edited:
•••
The more or less chance to sell additional domains is if it's in reverse order, but the name still sounds ok. For example, I have both TravelSuomi and SuomiTravel.com (Suomi - means Finland. Well, the domain is for Finnish, they will know). But in this case there is a slight chance that both names will be interesting for the same travel agency or tour operator, and it's logical.
All the other cases of selling extra names to the same buyer to me is pure luck.

•••
The more or less chance to sell additional domains is if it's in reverse order, but the name still sounds ok. For example, I have both TravelSuomi and SuomiTravel.com (Suomi - means Finland. Well, the domain is for Finnish, they will know). But in this case there is a slight chance that both names will be interesting for the same travel agency or tour operator, and it's logical.
All the other cases of selling extra names to the same buyer to me is pure luck.
Understood. Fair point. Let me try this out.
In the past, I have sold general geo names to buyers who owned brandable. Never really thought why they bought what they bought. I always thought it was a volume game.

•••
Understood. Fair point. Let me try this out.
In the past, I have sold general geo names to buyers who owned brandable. Never really thought why they bought what they bought. I always thought it was a volume game.
I think sometimes one might buy it because of a good redirect (volume, yes) and/or exact match, but normally it's a low XXX sale, I'd say.

•••
Had about 10 names spammed to me today only strengthens value to my portfolio by being similar as not as good with hyphens plurals that make no sense etc

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back