Dynadot

new gtlds nGTLDs plateauing at 27-29million. Growth RATE has reduced by 90%

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
nGTLDs plateauing at 27-29million. Growth RATE has reduced by 90% . 4million regged in first quarter 2016 but less than 300,000 in first two months of 2017.
Lots of free-minimum drops to come, rather than plateauing at 30 million could be the peak and down hill from here.
Clear winner .com and note .click over 60% of sites scanned were spam or harmful to your computer's health, this is the last refugee for many of these strings, even for Frank's vision.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
The renewal price increases will occur even though some registrars on their websites show the first year price for domains followed by β€œrenews at” price.

Will these registrars honor their commitment on their statement about renewal pricing?
I think legally they have to and this will upset a lot of registrars.

•••
I think legally they have to and this will upset a lot of registrars.

but if they do this they will have to pay the difference not the registrant. will they do this? probably not. they will blame the registry and they are right.

•••
but if they do this they will have to pay the difference not the registrant. will they do this? probably not. they will blame the registry and they are right.
I expect there will be some get out in their terms. But it's messy and will be a stain on these strings that will not be easy to wash away.
Given we are even talking about the legality of a registrar saying a dollar for first year and $10 on renewal which is now $300. Get that in the Main Street media could cause some of these strings to go on life support.

Last edited:
•••
You take a shot, some people gamble, some people don't, some people win, some people lose

I invested quite a bit of money into Whiskey.xyz when it was available ... My renewal is normal, has not risen once ...

Do I think this a poor investment ? No, but it's a lesson of investing in the right extensions ... The funny part is everyone here has invested in new ideas, we didn't start with .com ... .net was the egg that hatched the golden nest we call the World Wide Web ... If you're investing in new ideas, make sure you can afford it and that it's a good name, one you could see in everyday marketing, from business cards to billboards ...

Now for the rising renewal prices, some of them I understand, some of them don't make sense and should be looked over by someone who actually can have the patience to sit down and weed through the junk to price the domains that are deserving of a higher price "fairly" and pricing junk for what it is, junk ...

But I've said this once and I'll say it again, Gtlds are not valuable as names, they are a new idea unlike .com ... So the idea that we would assume they are of the same value is nonsense ... But they can be of value if built into a reputable business, that being better then the counterpart ...

Example, you visit Shirt.Shop and you have a cool website with amazing attention to details and the color scheme just pops at you and you have a team of young individuals who are on top of everything printing shirts of the highest quality with artistic graphics and custom additions ... And then you have pricing that's half that of Shirts.com ^ $10 (shirt)

Example, you visit Shirts.com and you're immediately drawn in by the name, "wow" "they have an exact match name" "they must be a successful company" ... So then you call them to make your order because there is too much traffic on the site to even get through the checkout without glitching because of poor hosting ... And you're on the phone and the guy is a total deuce, keeps adding prices on to the shirt design you want $10, $25, $34.65, telling you "that color is out of stock" "we don't have that size" "it will take two weeks to ship" ... These are the last things any consumer wants to hear !

So then you ask yourself, who would I do business with ?

Shirts.com or Shirt.Shop

See we look at these names as domain investors, we need to look at them as consumers and understand that development is what makes a name memorable ...

All be it shirts.com is a seven figure name and shirt.shop is €2,800 a year ... These are good names

So you live 80 years and pass shirt.shop down to your family ... That's €224,000 for a good name and if you can be in the same neighborhood "online" as Shirts.com then I imagine you would get pretty close to the same business, if not more. And you spent what ? €7.6 a day for a good name ... All be it, this is an example that is more expensive then what most people consider an expensive renewal - $500 / year

Development equals desire for any good domain name

•••
Example, you visit Shirt.Shop and you have a cool website with amazing attention to details and the color scheme just pops at you and you have a team of young individuals who are on top of everything printing shirts of the highest quality with artistic graphics and custom additions ... And then you have pricing that's half that of Shirts.com ^ $10 (shirt)

Example, you visit Shirts.com and you're immediately drawn in by the name, "wow" "they have an exact match name" "they must be a successful company" ... So then you call them to make your order because there is too much traffic on the site to even get through the checkout without glitching because of poor hosting ... And you're on the phone and the guy is a total deuce, keeps adding prices on to the shirt design you want $10, $25, $34.65, telling you "that color is out of stock" "we don't have that size" "it will take two weeks to ship" ... These are the last things any consumer wants to hear !

So then you ask yourself, who would I do business with ?

Shirts.com or Shirt.Shop

That has nothing to do with comparing a .com to a .shop, that is just comparing a website with good business practices to one with bad business practices.

In your example Shirt.Shop could be ShirtShop.com

The .shop does not add any value.

•••
So you live 80 years and pass shirt.shop down to your family ... That's €224,000 for a good name and if you can be in the same neighborhood "online" as Shirts.com then I imagine you would get pretty close to the same business, if not more. And you spent what ? €7.6 a day for a good name ... All be it, this is an example that is more expensive then what most people consider an expensive renewal - $500 / year

That €224,000 that went to renewal fees would probably have been better spent elsewhere. I think my family would slap me if I left them a name with a name that has a €2,800 a year renewal fee.

•••
That €224,000 that went to renewal fees would probably have been better spent elsewhere. I think my family would slap me if I left them a name with a name that has a €2,800 a year renewal fee.
They would drop it instantly the moment you dropped dead.

•••

If someone left me that name right now, I would surely drop it. Of course, no one has registered it for a reason. It is €3,301.57 at godaddy.

Last edited:
•••
If someone left me that name right now, I would surely drop it. Of course, no one has registered it for a reason. It is €3,301.57 at godaddy.

Well that's foolish, lol. You would drop a name connected to your business that's been running for eighty years ? That says a lot about you ... Haha

And you said my point exactly, about a good business practice versus a bad business practice ... It does not matter in the end, it's just the name, that's my point ^ and looking at this from a comsumers point of view ...
They care about the business and a good name, they don't care if it's a .com but if you're a successful company then of course you should invest in both, as I said above ^

•••
Feels like Alessandro is staring in La La Land

•••
Feels like Alessandro is staring in La La Land

Here he goes again, sock one, sock two, well I can sure you unlike you, I don't get knocked out of the ring !

And you agree ? You're telling me if your family handed you their business name connected to their business that's been recognized for 80 years ... You would drop the name ? That just brings tears to my eyes ... That is beyond ignorant, we call them

TΓͺte Dure

•••

Some cases this is true, I spoke to the owner of fish.com ... Son took over from his father ... And asked him if he would be interested in cats.com ... He asked how much ?
Quoted him six figures and he was outraged, appalled ... Hahaha
His father spent $1.02M on Fish.com
And when I told him this, he just replied in a tone "I am the boss here now so I make the decisions"

That amazes me ^ honestly

•••
Well that's foolish, lol. You would drop a name connected to your business that's been running for eighty years ? That says a lot about you ... Haha

You are just making up random scenarios. Go ahead and register shirt.shop, make a profitable business out of it and run it for 80 years, of course then you keep the name.

Today, you can get GreatShirtShop.com for reg fee. Lets not talk about imaginary situations that will never happen.

•••
You are just making up random scenarios. Go ahead and register shirt.shop, make a profitable business out of it and run it for 80 years, of course then you keep the name.

Today, you can get GreatShirtShop.com for reg fee. Lets not talk about imaginary situations that will never happen.

Imaginary situations ? Please don't say that again, you think we are all domain investors and that's all this is, a game ?

It's not an imaginary situation, this is the demographics of the Internet domain world, business owners and business developers ... Why do you think the big names are priced in the millions ? Investment ? Why do you think GTLDs are rising in renewals ? Investment ... No, it's a manner of fitting the market with what the registrars really want and that's business owners and hell they are laughing their asses off from our conflicting opinions and why someone should invest in both, or one, or the other ... Rule of thumb, don't place all your eggs in one basket

Otherwise no common investor would just go out there and buy a name because it looks cool or sounds cool ...
It's a matter of buying the name and becoming the enduser or selling to the enduser and in some cases, it's not possible for a number of reasons ... So you turn to China and in turn they do the same ... But that's slowly becoming more and more restricted ... The censorship is out of this world

And I am not in the shirt business ;)

Last edited:
•••
•••
Yet...as .Shop is only 5 months post Landrush! Give it some time!
What was it 42 million dollars it cost the registry. Expect price rises!

•••
Yet...as .Shop is only 5 months post Landrush! Give it some time!

Let us not say yet... Because that is sure to get you a firestorm from the TLD investors ... Instead let us say,

You cannot be successful with a domain name unless you do something with it !

Sell it, or develop it ... Simple as that

•••
Yes GMO paid a kings ransom for .Shop and the renewals are pegged at about $23 at GoDaddy right now, but I love the extension, as it fits so well with eCommerce startups looking for the perfect name unavailable in dot com at a reasonable cost! We shall see!

•••
Why do you think GTLDs are rising in renewals ?
Just to clarify this point, the cost of renewals is rising for some gTLDS but from the data, actual numbers renewals are generally not rising.

Regards...jmcc

•••
It's logical for ngtlds to be more expensive, as they are shorter than coms and awareness is increasing. They are very undervaluated at this moment. Domainers should renew the good ones for 10 years, when they will be as popular as coms.

The Gold Rush with registering huge names for $40 is about to end.

•••
It's logical for ngtlds to be more expensive, as they are shorter than coms and awareness is increasing. They are very undervaluated at this moment. Domainers should renew the good ones for 10 years, when they will be as popular as coms.

I don't know if we can predict that GTLDs will be as popular as TLDs
but we can predict that both extensions will coexist and more extensions will be born and some will die ... That's a market view from a typical investor ^

Registering names for $40 on premium GTLDs is already gone,
if you were able to understand the idea of GTLDs and the purpose they can serve and will serve, then you were thinking ahead ...

Calling GTLDs more expensive then TLDs is not really the case ... It just seems so, again, we are looking at the domains as investors when we should imagine ourselves as business owners paying a fee to keep in business ... you can buy a nice name in either of the extensions, one is a premium one word TLD and you pay all at once,
six to seven figures ... Where as one word GTLD or matching GTLD, you could potentially pay a high renewal ... Not always the case ...

In short, you should invest in both if you are an investor ... If you're an enduser, make the decision that best works for you, wether it be future references, or current references ... Everyone has their own opinion !

•••
When I look at this increasing number, which is directly related to the increase in this number, I infer with high belief that the social system within the online realm will be one in which is involved multi-dimensionally, and where interactions among individual actors in this social system to be increasingly robust and competitive. My analysis concludes with the notion that deduces: the increasing population of internet users, complemented with the accessibility of easier and intuitive technology, will drive an infinite number of demand in social real estate, or as we know right now, domain names; where the opportunity exists to supply social actors an entry to create, publish, and manipulate, as a method of producing Symbolic interactionism within the social system.

As technological progression continues to move toward higher efficiencies, content creation, including website deployment, will be increasingly easier to develop and manage. Therefore, my first theory is that: the lemonade stand that the young entrepreneur started outside his house, will translate to an eCommerce store given the changes in the economic and technological environment. As for our literary creators, to provide an additional example, instead of writing in our little notebooks and sharing our poems with our imaginary friends, the content will now be shared online. For these two examples, and examples where individual units are not pursuing endeavors where it is laboriously exhaustive, we can label this subgroup as the β€œAverage Social Class”. I believe that the Average Social Class, no matter how socially, educationally, or economically incompetent he or she may be, will have a demand of at least one social domain, where this social domain grants the individual actor the opportunity to participate within the social system, regardless of how important or insignificant they may be considered socially or economically, relative to other individual units.

The subclass of the labor intensive creates the second theory in this thesis, where I define the labor intensive as the individual actors that comprise of individual businesses and multifaceted functions within the social system which operate with the intent of earning and contributing towards economic and social profits. This subclass of individual actors are the driving economic force within the social system and therefore will actively seek to enhance and improve their economic functions. Just like β€œdomainers”, today, where the average owns a portfolio of 5-10 domains, this social subclass, similarly, will own 5-10 businesses, which yields different amounts of social and economic profits. As we continue to progress further as a system, content creation, networking, publication, and the manipulation of these functions will become increasingly easier and intuitive for humans to operate with. Thus, as a result, for these functions that this labor intensive group pursues, it is matched directly with the demand for social real estate, where the functions are able to be created, published, and manipulated, as a method for symbolic interactionism within the social system.

Finally, the social system cannot function without its infrastructure that is provided by critical agents that seek to organize and allow for the existence of social interactions between individual actors. For these agents, I am not referring to anything more complicated than search itself. Agents, such as Google, that provide direct search, are the gateway and infrastructure for continued interactions between the social actors. In this sense, it is search that yields the opportunities for continued improvement and interconnectedness within the social and economic environments. More specifically, as the number and demand of social domains continue to rise, organization of these domains will need to be organized accurately and intuitively. Due to these requirements, in a system where each individual actor owns at least one social domain, it can be assumed that domain extensions, such as .SHOP, or .MEDIA, will and ought to be used as the first parameters for accurately and categorically defining all possible social domains.

A lot of posts here have not recognized the future social implications of the social system, in which we simply know as the online realm. In this thesis I tried to outline that the future of this ever-growing social system will be met with the infinite demand of social domains, where domains represent a social participation for creating, publishing, and manipulating as a method of producing Symbolic interactionism within the social system. To put most of this into perspective, lastly, we look at some hypothetical possibilities where each individual actor in this social system, and which must be met with a social domain to be able to participate within the social system: At the time of this writing, there were 3,583,534,673 Internet users in the world. Now for some very basic assumptions:
- Let’s assume 95% of these individuals are within the β€œAverage Social Class” subgroup. Therefore, this subclass will own (3,583,534,673 * 0.95 * 1) = 3,404,357,939 domain names.
- For the remaining 5%, β€œThe Social Drivers”, will each own on average 3 domain names. Therefore, this subclass will own (3,583,534,673 * 0.05 * 3) = 537,530,200.95

Therefore, the total amount of domain names represented in this example is 3,941,888,139.95.

Here is a total number of Websites online right now.

Last edited:
•••
It's not just the price increase warning that Uniregistry announced yesterday. It's the language used in the interview that Frank Schilling gave to DomainIncite that would cause alarm to anyone investing in his ngtlds. Would you invest in a stock where it is reported?:

"Uniregistry is to massively increase the price of some of its under-performing new gTLDs in an effort to keep them afloat"

So these massive price increases are "...an effort to keep them afloat"

and where the CEO says

β€œBut we need to get to 10 years, and to keep the lights on between here and there we need higher prices..."

so they're trying to 'keep the lights on'.

And there is the admission also in the interview that the only real demand for the ngtlds is from domainers with lower than expected demand from world consumers. And a lot of those domainers will now cut their losses. Can Uniregistry turn this around? Their stats and 'upcoming deletes' don't look good. And this can only have a knock on effect on the rest of the ngtlds.

Last edited:
•••

i do not think they will ever be as popular as .com if the registries continue to act like this.

A business can not be built on quicksand.

why does Frank try to take a profit if he knows that they will be very successful 10 years from now?

It just harms the program and his brand.

The way I interpret this is that they realised they are not going to be as successful as they had hoped and try to make as much money as they can while they can still do it.

BREAKING DOWN 'Pick-And-Shovel Play'
The expression may have been derived from the California gold rush, where many of those who profited did so by providing the miners with picks, shovels and other equipment needed for gold mining. The idea behind pick-and-shovel plays is that, in the case of E&Ps, for example, it doesn't matter if the E&P Company finds oil and gas or not, they will need to purchase specialized equipment either way.

http://www.investopedia.com/terms/p/pick-and-shovel-play.asp

•••
Notably hardly any coverage from the bloggers, domain news outlet about the 3,000 percent price increases. This has been much of the problem that the mighty and good have kept any negative news or views about nGTLDs quiet not to upset their advertisers such as uniregistry.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back