Dynadot

new gtlds nGTLDs plateauing at 27-29million. Growth RATE has reduced by 90%

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
nGTLDs plateauing at 27-29million. Growth RATE has reduced by 90% . 4million regged in first quarter 2016 but less than 300,000 in first two months of 2017.
Lots of free-minimum drops to come, rather than plateauing at 30 million could be the peak and down hill from here.
Clear winner .com and note .click over 60% of sites scanned were spam or harmful to your computer's health, this is the last refugee for many of these strings, even for Frank's vision.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Thing is Alessandro - Uniregistry have shown how uncertain the ngtlds are. In his interview Frank Schilling said he was introducing these increases to 'keep the lights on' - that hardly installs confidence in new extensions.

I think people will use ngtlds in the future but they'll be for ad campaigns or thin sites. Domainers will be squeezed out as prices go up, sales to end users evaporate, and losses stack up. We're spending some time at the moment building a .co.uk website for the uk market, and we'd have been comfortable using a .com, but no way would we invest time and effort over a number of years building on one of these ngtlds. You'd be mad to do that.

To keep the .Christmas lights running on the tree for some good ol' holiday spirit ! Wake me up when my .tv bill goes up or when I have to take a .loan to pay for my .loans and while we are all at it, why not yell at your annoying neighbor painting .xyz on the side of his house

•••
1.Most internet users will never get a domain. It assumes, internet user = domain registrant.
2. Non US people will get their ccTLD not an English language new TLD.
3. Even if 3 billion people buy domains, .com prices would go up so dramatically(because of scarcity) that .coms would be the best investment ever with very little risk(and holding costs)
4. It assumes that the average internet user joe in India for example would pay premium prices for your TLDs just to get his personal domain name.. if this were to happen you wouldn't need to speculate in the new TLDs, eternal 20 year gold rush in all extensions, everyone would get rich.

lol, not at all my friend, I am not that ignorant ... That's why I said 100,000,000 combinations for .com let alone all TLDs is quite difficult without getting into some ugly names like,

BadBilllysBrooklynBar.com

Not every business is going to start out a multi million dollar or even six figure company ... So they are going to buy the "Best Value" ... That's the truth about this market and "Best Value" in investors' lingo means,

Rip Off ... Lol

Honestly, people pay for physical Realestate that doesn't get as much traffic and cost more money to clean the windows then your bloody renewal let alone staff the place with employees who eat the renewals combined in your portfolio ...

•••
To keep the .Christmas lights running on the tree for some good ol' holiday spirit ! Wake me up when my .tv bill goes up or when I have to take a .loan to pay for my .loans and while we are all at it, why not yell at your annoying neighbor painting .xyz on the side of his house
15888646155_2808700b3c_b.jpg

•••
assuming that Frank is someone like Adam Dicker, is none sense ...

OMG, Adam Dicker will forever be remembered as the dick of domaining. I don't think he will ever live down his reputation. :vomit:

•••
You are speaking for many an enduser, that they would be mad to build a site on a nGTLDs, given rents can increase by 3,000 percent overnight. That's what it all boils down to, no endusers no market no business. You are left just selling to big corporations as defensive brand registrations, that they will never use.
We will end up with a 1000 Zombie strings that no one cares about.
What a debacle by ICANN, at least they will be ready when they renegotiate the .com net org contracts - be the first condition in the terms, limited or no wholesale price rises.

Betthelot, I love your charisma !

But we all already knew some of these extensions will fail, however rest assured it's like having a car that just eats up your bills, but gets you from point A to point B ...

May just need to get a new car when gasoline prices go up ?
Hahahah ^ because that's the logic of investors in this thread !

Wait... There's more...

I am losing phone battery so maybe I should get a new phone ? ;) I am paying too much for my renewals by the month so maybe I should invest in something totally different then what I want ... Or just pony up the six to seven figures to buy the name I want and then I'll be a cool enduser !

Does anyone think like that ? ^^^
@.@ I sure hope not

If any of you actually own a .christmas or the extensions that are rising, please do us the courtesy of posting a couple examples here ...
I am pretty hard pressed to believe all of you own extensions that are rising in renewals

Last edited:
•••
OMG, Adam Dicker will forever be remembered as the dick of domaining. I don't think he will ever live down his reputation. :vomit:

Absolutely ! Why should he not, but Frank is a business man, he is not Adam Dicker ...

And what domains do you own in the extensions that are rising in renewals, just curious.

•••
That's why I said 100,000,000 combinations for .com let alone all TLDs is quite difficult without getting into some ugly names like,

BadBilllysBrooklynBar.com

we already have over 100 million names. Rick Schwartz tweeted it takes a few minutes to handreg decent .com for any niche.

If you spend some time and money you can get a good deal still.

BillysBrooklyn.com is still available....

https://www.dynadot.com/domain/search.html?domain=BillysBrooklyn&search=
https://www.dynadot.com/domain/search.html?domain=theBrooklynbar.com&search=
https://www.dynadot.com/domain/search.html?domain=thenybar&search=

Last edited:
•••
Thanks Alessandro first time anyone said I got charisma.
One minute you want to do a mafia hit on me the next I've got charisma. Things are looking up, I will sleep well tonight knowing I won't be waking up to a horses head. I may even dream of that beautiful little cove in Croatia.

•••
we already have over 100 million names. Rick Schwartz tweeted it takes a few minutes to handreg decent .com for any niche.

If you spend some time and money you can get a good deal still.

BillysBrooklyn.com is still available....

https://www.dynadot.com/domain/search.html?domain=BillysBrooklyn&search=

See that's what I am really saying though, even Rick Schwartz is so concerned with the population of the internet that he would tweet something that ^ otherwise what's the point ?

BillyBrooklyn.com (not bad) :) does not make a whole lot of sense and how do I know that's a bar ? But I'll give you a 7/10 for effort ! Lol

And I am not saying, do not buy TLDs ... Only buy GTLDs ... Because that's not a smart move ^
But anyone who is serious about domains and the principle of investing in names or becoming the enduser of a name or names should be buying both and this reduce the over population while at the same time opening new extensions, new worlds, where we can place new business' and new internet users' and new investors'

•••
BillyBrooklyn.com (not bad) :) does not make a whole lot of sense and how do I know that's a bar ? But I'll give you a 7/10 for effort ! Lol

i didn't put in any effort... I was just saying .com is still not as saturated as some believe or claim.

even if you wanted billysbar.com you could instantly buy it for 1.5k BIN

https://www.dynadot.com/domain/search.html?domain=billysbar&search=

OR

you could buy billys.bar for 1k/year renewal (!)

https://www.dynadot.com/domain/search.html?domain=billys.bar&search=

OR

you could buy billys.nyc for $29/year

https://www.dynadot.com/domain/search.html?domain=billys.nyc&search=

OR

you could buy billysnyc.com for $11/year

https://www.dynadot.com/domain/search.html?domain=billysnyc.com&search=

At least in that case I don't see them adding that much value or I see them as being needed.

I think that some new TLDs could add value and provide more useful naming choices but not 1500 released at once.

Last edited:
•••
L
i didn't put in any effort... I was just saying .com is still not as saturated as some believe or claim.

even if you wanted billysbar.com you could instantly buy it for 1.5k BIN

https://www.dynadot.com/domain/search.html?domain=billysbar&search=

OR

you could buy billys.bar for 1k/year renewal (!)

https://www.dynadot.com/domain/search.html?domain=billys.bar&search=

OR

you could buy billys.nyc for $29/year

https://www.dynadot.com/domain/search.html?domain=billys.nyc&search=

OR

you could buy billysnyc.com for $11/year

https://www.dynadot.com/domain/search.html?domain=billysnyc.com&search=

At least in that case I don't see them adding that much value or I see them as being needed.

I think that some new TLDs could add value and provide more useful naming choices but not 1500 released at once.

I agree with you completely and those are some good stats you pulled ^ thumbs up ! But there will come a point in time when billy does buy BillysBar.com and there will even come a point and time when a different Billy buys Billys.Bar ...

I am sure there is not just ten Billy's in the world who want to build a bar and a business and call it Billy's "lol"

•••
It doesnt matter what he says. He will make the rules as we go along
#WildWildWest

•••
I think people will use ngtlds in the future but they'll be for ad campaigns or thin sites. Domainers will be squeezed out as prices go up, sales to end users evaporate, and losses stack up.
This statement is just so wrong. First, you're making an absolute prediction that ngtlds will be exclusively used for ads or thin sites. How do you even reach such a conclusion? (That's a rhetorical question, you don't need to reply). Second, your pricing analysis doesn't make sense. Why? Because again, it's a direct and absolute (foolish) claim that assumes the future liquidity of domains will be less than what it is right now. If you take a minute to study this chart http://imgur.com/a/QkIkw or the related counter here, you can start making some very simple assumptions that will go against your original predictions, assuming you are somewhat intelligent. These simple assumptions could be, for example: "Oh, every year the internet population has been increasing, and, every year, the number of websites in the world continues to accumulate, so, this growing trend is indicative of an increase in liquidity."

Please, with all due respect, take the time to look at some data before throwing out bs you made on the spot and consider appropriate to share with everyone.

1.Most internet users will never get a domain. It assumes, internet user = domain registrant.
2. Non US people will get their ccTLD not an English language new TLD.
3. Even if 3 billion people buy domains, .com prices would go up so dramatically(because of scarcity) that .coms would be the best investment ever with very little risk(and holding costs)
4. It assumes that the average internet user joe in India for example would pay premium prices for your TLDs just to get his personal domain name.. if this were to happen you wouldn't need to speculate in the new TLDs, eternal 20 year gold rush in all extensions, everyone would get rich.

Again, another absolute, unproductive post based on your own made-up beliefs of how the future will look like. Here are my responses with respect to your assumptions:
1. Just like when cars were introduced to society, you would be in the group of fools to believe that "most humans will never get a car". What motivates you to believe and be pessimistic that internet users will never get a domain?

2. Fair, but I don't think that a company in Brazil operating with a .br and .shop extension would cause them any trouble, so I suspect that they would register outside of .br, especially considering that the social system is a global social system. These extensions are plain, one-word english words, that are understood universally. Further, when you enter the internet, a lot the words are in English. To build on that, it's commonality nowadays that, not only is English the universal language, but a language where the simplest words (i.e. shop, horse, christmas, media, etc) are understood.

3. It is true in your analysis that the increase in websites causes the prices to drive higher. Will it be a dramatic effect? No. Why not? Well, just spend a minute watching this counter. Is the change dramatic? No. Would the change seem dramatic if you compare two distant periods (i.e. the count in 2011 vs. right now?)? Yes, of course. Or, look at this pricing chart of real estate in Vancouver. Is the YoY change dramatic? No. How about the change over two distant periods, say, 1980 housing prices vs. 1995 housing prices? Yes, big difference. So what does this mean? If you are disciplined and patient, then your holdings of these domains over a period of 10-20-30+ years will yield you a much greater return than it will if you were to hold it for 2-3-4 years. The problem is, most users get so excited when a bid comes in for $400, or $2000, that they quickly accept and their holdings of that domain is forever gone. So, you're not really going to actualize on those returns unless you are determined to play the waiting game. You might be able to relate to your grandparents holding their real estate for over a decade, to realize that the price of that real estate has appreciated significantly. A story I can relate to is my grandfather purchasing a farm for $10,000 when he was 30, and now it's worth over a few million dollars, a few decades later. Second, can domains be considered "the best investment ever"? Well, it depends on how the social system is governed. Everyone living during this time is still considered the pioneers/cave-men of this global social system. It won't be until a decade or two, until we see regulations that could be put into law regarding ownership of digital assets. As a result, this might cause some turbulence with respect to owning a portfolio of domains. More specifically, they might be *taxed* in some way, and, as a result, cause lower profits to be earned relative to if it was never taxed to begin with. This is always a possibility, and I would not be surprised if such laws were implemented.

4. The people who are going to be paying more are the people who were not in the period of registering when the liquidity and demand was low (...like right now). So, in one or two generations from now, yes, they will technically be paying at higher prices, as (1) the liquidity will be higher, (2) higher internet users, (3) more online websites. How about right now? Will all domainers get rich? Well, a lot of people on here are still having a difficult time coping with the long-term possibilities of social real estate, so the answer is no. Although the opportunity is available, you need to (1) genuinely believe that this counter here http://www.internetlivestats.com/internet-users/, and (2) this counter here http://www.internetlivestats.com/total-number-of-websites/, will continue to grow, and at some point, continue to grow at a multiple (this is certainly true for online websites, where the growth will met in multiples). When you can come to terms with that possibility, and once you are committed to being patient with your portfolio, then you will be positioning yourself to see some more significant gains in the future. Unfortunately, not a lot of people operate with a long-term mentality, and a lot of people are incompetent to envision how the possibilities of the future can turn out. I'm not saying to be a mind reader of any sort, but be optimistic and understand that the future will continue to be a much greater environment than anything you can imagine it to be as everything in your current existence right now will be exponentially more efficient, intuitive, and user-friendly. (think walking versus cars; think farming your food versus using an app for on-demand delivery; think your lemonade stand outside your house versus operating a global shop with you established list of suppliers).

For all users, I encourage you to try and stretch your expectations towards a longer-term view, rather than limiting to a shorter one. As for the CEO of Uniregistry, well, it's quite simple to analyze his behavior: His performance is tracked by the quarter (every three months). So, if he can't lead a company to grow profits consistently, then, he's at risk of losing his job, or, if he's not laid off, then, Uniregistry won't be in a position to compete in the future due to their financial limitations. Does this mean he should increase prices of (illiquid) domain names? Well, that's not for me to answer. He can do whatever he wants. At the end of the day, it's his level of competency and ability, or inability, to think creatively, that will steer his company. Don't let his actions or thoughts comand your behavior.

•••
I never said that 'internet users will never get a domain'. The success of .com and the cctlds show that new businesses have embraced the internet. I am writing about the fiasco of the ngtlds and the chaos caused by so many extensions being launched at once. There simply isn't the consumer demand for all these extensions and some of them will, no doubt, fail.
The only real demand has been from domain speculators and that will dry up, as sales become harder to find, and the inevitable renewal fee increases bite. The 1cent .xyz promotions will show up in the stalling ntldstats later this year and if you take 6.5m xyz domains out of the equation there has been hardly any growth in the ngtlds in the last year. Within 6 months I think you'll see some registries under pressure, a lot of consolidation as their extensions get taken over, and prices increase. There may be a future for a number of the new extensions - but I don't think it will be as a rival to .com and I wouldn't advise any small business to invest a lot of time and money into a new extension at this stage.

•••
•••
Not sure where you get your stats to show .com 'dropped' to 127m. This end of year report from verisign seems to imply that .com increased in 4th quarter of 2016 (although it combines .com and .net and says they both increased by 1.7% from Q3) to 126.9m. The graphs show the colossal dominance of .com.
What your quoting is last years news.
The numbers I presented are current day numbers. Verisign includes domains that are not available for registrations. that gives them a variable of 19+m number to play with in hyping for as long as they can. cctld's and New "G"s do not have floating numbers

•••
Desperate, I have to admit that's a funny one. I marketed some of my domains including, Heart.Surgery in November of 2015 ;)

https://www.namepros.com/threads/heart-surgery.893587/

And I'm desperate to sell my name ?
Almost 6500 views, I am not even close to being desperate to sell Heart.Surgery or any of my Gtlds ... If I was, I would've taken the several offers, I received a long time ago ...
I have preached many times and will preach it again, the price is $100K

As for Denver.Properties, I spoke with the owner of Denver.com, the CEO of Kentwood Realestate, and many other famous faces in Denver Realestate ... It's hard to convince someone on a new subject but to say all of them were not intrigued, would be a straight up lie ... And in a Realestate market such as Denver, five figures (enduser pricing) is more then fair, you should study up, Denver is becoming the fastest growing city in Denver due to legalization of Marijuana and a healthy demographic of young people populating the city ...

Have you ever been outside your office cubicle ? Croatia is also booming in a different industry, that being tourism and hence the reason one of the most popular TV shows in the United States was filmed there,
Game of Thrones ... Don't forget StarWars or JamesBond ... I lived south of Dubrovnik in Cavtat for, oh say a couple years and I can tell you for a fact, unless you have been there, you don't have a clue, and I cannot blame you, most people don't even know where Croatia is ...

And I think for a couple years I have gained a competitive knowledge for Gtlds in general, proud owner of E.Credit and Easy.Credit and for those who even come close to doubting my integrity in the slightest, I signed a contract for %100 ownership of Mortgage.Loans by 2018

Look who owns Mortgage.biz and Mortgage.com

Yea I put my money where my mouth is, what about you ? ;)

LOL :-P "Have you ever been out of your cubical"?
Maybe that's why I get it. I've never had the displeasure of belonging to a cubical !
Just MO , Hear.Surgery 100K? Nah. 300k+
Cheers

•••
Where are you getting this info from? Can you provide a link to this info. I did a quick google search but couldn't find anything about 19m non available domains bumping up .com figures.

•••
You are just making up random scenarios. Go ahead and register shirt.shop, make a profitable business out of it and run it for 80 years, of course then you keep the name.

Today, you can get GreatShirtShop.com for reg fee. Lets not talk about imaginary situations that will never happen.

There is a reason GreatShi*tShop.con is still available after 30 years. Apparently the investors and endusers don't see even 8dollar value.

•••
When I look at this increasing number, which is directly related to the increase in this number, I infer with high belief that the social system within the online realm will be one in which is involved multi-dimensionally, and where interactions among individual actors in this social system to be increasingly robust and competitive. My analysis concludes with the notion that deduces: the increasing population of internet users, complemented with the accessibility of easier and intuitive technology, will drive an infinite number of demand in social real estate, or as we know right now, domain names; where the opportunity exists to supply social actors an entry to create, publish, and manipulate, as a method of producing Symbolic interactionism within the social system.

As technological progression continues to move toward higher efficiencies, content creation, including website deployment, will be increasingly easier to develop and manage. Therefore, my first theory is that: the lemonade stand that the young entrepreneur started outside his house, will translate to an eCommerce store given the changes in the economic and technological environment. As for our literary creators, to provide an additional example, instead of writing in our little notebooks and sharing our poems with our imaginary friends, the content will now be shared online. For these two examples, and examples where individual units are not pursuing endeavors where it is laboriously exhaustive, we can label this subgroup as the “Average Social Class”. I believe that the Average Social Class, no matter how socially, educationally, or economically incompetent he or she may be, will have a demand of at least one social domain, where this social domain grants the individual actor the opportunity to participate within the social system, regardless of how important or insignificant they may be considered socially or economically, relative to other individual units.

The subclass of the labor intensive creates the second theory in this thesis, where I define the labor intensive as the individual actors that comprise of individual businesses and multifaceted functions within the social system which operate with the intent of earning and contributing towards economic and social profits. This subclass of individual actors are the driving economic force within the social system and therefore will actively seek to enhance and improve their economic functions. Just like “domainers”, today, where the average owns a portfolio of 5-10 domains, this social subclass, similarly, will own 5-10 businesses, which yields different amounts of social and economic profits. As we continue to progress further as a system, content creation, networking, publication, and the manipulation of these functions will become increasingly easier and intuitive for humans to operate with. Thus, as a result, for these functions that this labor intensive group pursues, it is matched directly with the demand for social real estate, where the functions are able to be created, published, and manipulated, as a method for symbolic interactionism within the social system.

Finally, the social system cannot function without its infrastructure that is provided by critical agents that seek to organize and allow for the existence of social interactions between individual actors. For these agents, I am not referring to anything more complicated than search itself. Agents, such as Google, that provide direct search, are the gateway and infrastructure for continued interactions between the social actors. In this sense, it is search that yields the opportunities for continued improvement and interconnectedness within the social and economic environments. More specifically, as the number and demand of social domains continue to rise, organization of these domains will need to be organized accurately and intuitively. Due to these requirements, in a system where each individual actor owns at least one social domain, it can be assumed that domain extensions, such as .SHOP, or .MEDIA, will and ought to be used as the first parameters for accurately and categorically defining all possible social domains.

A lot of posts here have not recognized the future social implications of the social system, in which we simply know as the online realm. In this thesis I tried to outline that the future of this ever-growing social system will be met with the infinite demand of social domains, where domains represent a social participation for creating, publishing, and manipulating as a method of producing Symbolic interactionism within the social system. To put most of this into perspective, lastly, we look at some hypothetical possibilities where each individual actor in this social system, and which must be met with a social domain to be able to participate within the social system: At the time of this writing, there were 3,583,534,673 Internet users in the world. Now for some very basic assumptions:
- Let’s assume 95% of these individuals are within the “Average Social Class” subgroup. Therefore, this subclass will own (3,583,534,673 * 0.95 * 1) = 3,404,357,939 domain names.
- For the remaining 5%, “The Social Drivers”, will each own on average 3 domain names. Therefore, this subclass will own (3,583,534,673 * 0.05 * 3) = 537,530,200.95

Therefore, the total amount of domain names represented in this example is 3,941,888,139.95.

Here is a total number of Websites online right now.

I must buy you lunch or dinner or both. :)
So many uses for domains yet to be reveled. SPOT ON.
Cheers

•••
Heart.Surgery 100K? Nah. 300k+

If you really believed that you would buy it. Couldnt get any offers over 10k. All talk.

•••
•••
Where are you getting this info from? Can you provide a link to this info. I did a quick google search but couldn't find anything about 19m non available domains bumping up .com figures.
You have to read the fine print in the Verisign "Report". Look for what they call base domains. Read the definition.
Then look at all the other sites that report actual reg numbers without the "base".
Reporting numbers get manipulated all the time in all industries. Verisign is no different.
Then determine how many of the com registrations are also based on 99 cent sales.
Too many domainers don't take the time to do the actual research instead just "believe" so called "Experts"
Happy Hunting

•••
So if xyz registry wanted to regain their premium domains which sold for reg fee back, all they need to do is increase the price to $12,000 a year.

Lock in for 10 years you say? Well nobody is going to invest into a .xyz business knowing in 9 years their renewal is going to be $12,000 annually.

You see the loop hole that has just be exploited here. It is why people were skeptical about building on a gtld, they couldn't set a fair price, and just go with it.

This is dangerous framework that is being presented, it has the potential to derail the entire gtld process.

Nobody cares what domainers think, but can you imagine a small business who will probably not even get a notice of hike, going to renew their reg few name, and getting a $300 checkout.

They will drop it, and tell everyone they know their story, and off the cliff we roll.

So true for the registrars that have no problem trying to justify to the customer the high costs to keep "their" lights on.
Franks "vision" is not that far off. Maybe too soon, for the wrong reasons and contrary to previous "promises" is what is such a slight.
But to suggest all of the others, the ones that have been responsible in their investing, marketing and eye on the customer
will fall too is just absurd. People aren't going to not "use" "everything else because of the high cost of "some".
Not true for the many registrars who don't have their head in the clouds, have invested responsibly and keep the marketing as top priority.

•••
So true for the registrars that have no problem trying to justify to the customer the high costs to keep "their" lights on.
Franks "vision" is not that far off. Maybe too soon, for the wrong reasons and contrary to previous "promises" is what is such a slight.
But to suggest all of the others, the ones that have been responsible in their investing, marketing and eye on the customer
will fall too is just absurd. People aren't going to not "use" "everything else because of the high cost of "some".
Not true for the many registrars who don't have their head in the clouds, have invested responsibly and keep the marketing as top priority.

rightside lost 33 million last year. MMX not profitable either.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back