Dynadot

new gtlds nGTLDs plateauing at 27-29million. Growth RATE has reduced by 90%

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
nGTLDs plateauing at 27-29million. Growth RATE has reduced by 90% . 4million regged in first quarter 2016 but less than 300,000 in first two months of 2017.
Lots of free-minimum drops to come, rather than plateauing at 30 million could be the peak and down hill from here.
Clear winner .com and note .click over 60% of sites scanned were spam or harmful to your computer's health, this is the last refugee for many of these strings, even for Frank's vision.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
So what happened to the .click extension? just noticed 39.74% in 'upcoming deletes' and has been dropping sharply since Nov 2016. That's the highest percentage of upcoming deletes I've seen so far. Anyone seen any higher than that?
Chinese Bubble exposure? COM/NET/ORG/BIZ/INFO were not the only TLDs hit. When .COM became saturated with Chips, the speculative activity spread to other TLDs. Right now, XYZ is looking at a 50% renewal problem later this year due to the 1 cent promotion.

Regards...jmcc

•••
So the 1 cent .xyz bubble bursts on 1st June 2017. I've read that 2m were registered on the first two days of this promotion in June 2016.

Last edited:
•••
So the 1 cent .xyz bubble bursts on 1st June 2017. I've read that 2m were registered on the first two days of this promotion in June 2016.
and 4million in total. could be a slight of hand play here later by Daniel Negari, he understands the marketing power of having the most regs, makes the string seem established and trusted.
The 60day redemption period still stands so be in the fall that the full extent of the fall out will be seen

•••
Uniregistry. Just broke another commitment 20 times price hike on some of their nGTLDs. After saying no price increases for 5 years.
Who the hell is going to commit to building a website on these names when prices can be increased by 2,000 percent. Does anyone believe Frank is still an evangelist for domainers?? They deserve to fail and ICANN has to share some of the blame.

That should scare some investors in dumping their names and is bad for the whole new gTLDs, as all will be tinged by this. It's the wild. West out there.

Last edited:
•••
What is new. FS has spent the last couple years saying one thing, then doing another. ".COM is AM Radio" while bidding to absurd prices on .COM at NameJet.

There are fewer and fewer suckers now. FS needs to bilk the few customers that are left to cover the lack of demand.

People investing in the new extensions have been warned these price increases would eventually happen.
It has now happened. Expect this to happen with many other extensions as well.

Brad

•••
What is new. FS has spent the last couple years saying one thing, then doing another. ".COM is AM Radio" while bidding to absurd prices on .COM at NameJet.

There are fewer and fewer suckers now. FS needs to bilk the few customers that are left to cover the lack of demand.

People investing in the new extensions have been warned these price increases would eventually happen.
It has now happened. Expect this to happen with many other extensions as well.

Brad
You are bang on he has broken rank and the others will feel emboldened to do the same. It's going to be a rout and those domainers who invested will be the biggest losers.

•••
betthelot said:
Does anyone believe Frank is still an evangelist for domainers??

I like Frank but the answer is no. Frank is OK but he is - like everyone else here - a businessman not a charity.

New Uniregistry. Just broke another commitment 20 times price hike on some of their nGTLDs. After saying no price increases for 5 year

examples?

Last edited:
•••
I like Frank but the answer is no. Frank is OK but he is - like everyone else here - a businessman not a charity.

examples?
Uniregistry views its prospective domain registrants as a community to be served, and not exploited. Uniregistry intends to make a contractual commitment to registrants and their registrars not to increase registry prices above cost of inflation for the first five years after launch of the registr

•••
I just read that story also, it really breaks a trust barrier in owning any gtld, and if an executive makes a bad business call within the company, an entire extension could be used to pay for it.

I feel really bad for all those guys who went in heavy on GTLD's. This is a real negative story, it taints the product. Domainers should stay out, at those prices it is a direct to end user model, that is all.

Last edited:
•••
Uniregistry views its prospective domain registrants as a community to be served, and not exploited. Uniregistry intends to make a contractual commitment to registrants and their registrars not to increase registry prices above cost of inflation for the first five years after launch of the registr

No i meant examples of price increases.

•••

examples?
He was fundamental in using his icon status to push domainers to get in earlier don't stand on the side lines. The brave will be rewarded. I prefer Berkins always said he could afford to lose on them and repeat said only commit knowing it's a big gamble

•••
•••
Running a registry is far different from running a registrar or a domaining portfolio. I think Frank got hit badly when the market conditions changed in 2010. The demand model on which so many new gTLD operators had based their projections had changed but few seemed to have noticed.

Regards...jmcc

•••
He was fundamental in using his icon status to push domainers to get in earlier don't stand on the side lines. The brave will be rewarded. I prefer Berkins always said he could afford to lose on them and repeat said only commit knowing it's a big gamble
Everyone sort of thought 5 years was the number to give these things to get off the ground, we are 3 years in, and we are seeing these kinds of actions in a negative marketplace, it doesn't look promising.

To date domainers are the ones who have the bulk of the registrations, the Chinese helped, but once things go red, everyone jumps ship. I guess you have 6 months to renew for 10 years out, which most with good names might do, if they have a low renewal, otherwise drop, and roll.

•••
Running a registry is far different from running a registrar or a domaining portfolio. I think Frank got hit badly when the market conditions changed in 2010. The demand model on which so many new gTLD operators had based their projections had changed but few seemed to have noticed.

Regards...jmcc
Based on the value of .com, and Frank's .com portfolio, and the monster sales he makes, I think he did just fine. There were also contention sets where the losers shared the winning bids spoils. .XYZ guy is always talking about buying EXTENSIONS, I am sure he would be a buyer, and Frank could make out X whatever he paid if decided to sell.

•••
.XYZ guy is always talking about buying EXTENSIONS, I am sure he would be a buyer, and Frank could make out X whatever he paid if decided to sell.

I think he might need to save the money.

.XYZ might need to lose millions of more dollars this year, to artificially prop up their registration numbers, like they did last year with the 1 cent promo.

Many of the new extensions are just a bullshit game. Extracting the most possible money from suckers.

Brad

•••
•••
I think he might need to save the money.

.XYZ might need to lose millions of more dollars this year, to artificially prop up their registration numbers, like they did last year with the 1 cent promo.

Many of the new extensions are just a bullsh*t game. Extracting the most possible money from suckers.

Brad
2017 is going to be a blood bath for nGTLDs, you can't generate false demand forever

•••
2017 is going to be a blood bath for nGTLDs, you can't generate false demand forever

as long as you find investors paying renewals you have demand

•••

Let's see the demand for renewing .XYZ at full price, that initially cost one cent.

Brad

•••

Investors will tire of renewing, if prices can increase by 3000 percent and little or no end user demand.

•••
Investors will tire of renewing, if prices can increase by 3000 percent and little or no end user demand.
Right now is actually renewal season for GTLD's, and many early investors are struggling to drop names they have spent years paying into that have not produced anything. I wouldn't want to be them, because it is a real tough call to drop names you paid so much into, and get nothing back.

Or they continue to sell their best names for cheap, to support the losers, which eventually leads them to drop everything.

I just don't see how anyone can win in such a situation, where the end users are the domainers, and now they are getting squeezed.

•••
I just don't see how anyone can win in such a situation, where the end users are the domainers, and now they are getting squeezed.

So true... and the world surely does not need another round of applications for new generic strings. The market has spoken, there was always enough options available without the need for this glut of pointless names.

•••
I could so easily have got sucked into this - fortunately didn't do too well on .tv

Nightmare for anyone who invested heavily - or for anyone who's built a website on one of these extensions. Anyone up for .fun?

•••
The renewal price increases will occur even though some registrars on their websites show the first year price for domains followed by “renews at” price.

Will these registrars honor their commitment on their statement about renewal pricing?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back