Domain Empire

New to this

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
I'm new to all of this domain name stuff and to be honest I don't have a clue. I saw a .info name that looked ok to me but what is my next step. One place says free for a year. What happens after a year? Any suggestions as where to go? Whats a good price to pay?
Dennis

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Welcome to Namepros, Dennis.

There was a .info promo last month that made your first 25 .info free for a year at variuos registrars (not all of them offered the free promo). I don't know if that promo is still on.

After a year, you have the option of renewing your domain by paying for renewal fees. Right now fees are between $5 to $10 per year depending on the extension (.com, .info, .net, .us, .biz, .org, etc.), and the registrar (they can set their own rates). Failure to pay for renewal means that the domain will be released back in the available pool for anyone to register.

- Apollo

•••
yep1 welcome! :wave: hang around Namepros and you will learn a lot in a short time. enjoy yourself!

•••
Welcome, Dennis!

Namesecure currently still offers this, I just checked. You get free for 1 year,
then renew or transfer it before it expires (www.namesecure.com).

Stick around! You'll find a wealth of information here. :)

•••
hostway.com also still has the free.info promo going until Dec. 31st, I believe. Also, make sure you turn autorenewal off if you don't want to pay for renewal after a year, if that's an option. Some registrars have it & some don't.

Welcome!

•••
Some other cheap registrars include GoDaddy.com and DomainSite.com
You can register other extensions if you like.
You should know that .com is the most popular one and is usually the most recognized.
Which extensions to get? Depends on what you want it for.
For a business, it has to be .com in most cases. If it is for a personal site, it doesn't really matter.
What domains to get?
There are several good tools online that can help you generate some nice names. NameBoy.com comes to mind. You simply enter one or two keywords and go.

•••
Welcome to NamePros Dennis! :tu: :)

I wouldn't go nuts registering domains until you're more familiar with the Industry and what to stay away from and what to buy. Otherwise you'll end up with a bunch of domains you can't even sell for $5 and out a bunch of money. Spend much of your time reading the posts and learning from members at NP and soon you'll be comfortable enough to start. I wish you all the best in your future and am glad you joined us! :tu:

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back