IT.COM

debate "I'll buy your domain... oh wait it's new, I'm not interested anymore"? Why are new domains bad??

NameSilo
Watch

lotus03

Established Member
Impact
I got offered $5k for a domain. I accepted.

The buyer then cancelled because "it's a hand reg domain that's less than 1 year old"

Wtf difference does it make if its 10 years old, 1 year old, 1 day old??

They loved the name and wanted to buy it. All of a sudden they back down because it's a new domain i registered? weird. even 5 year domain names have no traffic so it cant be for "traffic reasons"

This hype of "It has to be minimum 5 years" is such a joke. makes no sense whatsoever.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
He's a dick. Probably never meant to go thru with it from the start.

Any serious buyer would research beforehand on an offer if they were interested in age.

•••
Just an excuse to back out of the sale.

•••
It shouldn't matter. I do get the reasoning behind it though. The thinking is, I could've had this domain at reg fee, why would I pay so much more money for it?

They could also be thinking, it's a new reg, let's see how attached the owner is. It dropped before, may drop in a year... Let's give it some wait.

In my personal experience domains at a certain price point are more likely to sell (and at higher prices) when you have been holding them for a couple of years. It's a psychological thing.

That being said, dick move and not a valid reason to back out of a purchase.

•••
They were probably not a serious buyer to start with. It happens unfortunately.

Brad

•••
Set your BIN at 5k (or slightly higher) - renew the domain for a few years and forget about it - the domain will age and if they want it they can buy it when it's a bit more mature.......

•••
Half of my offers do not materialize because the buyer does not pay. And sometimes there is even a negotiation that would hint at serious intentions.
A solution should be a registration by marketplace with a verified credit card. So easy to register for free, make an offer and then nothing else

•••
Half of my offers do not materialize because the buyer does not pay. And sometimes there is even a negotiation that would hint at serious intentions.
A solution should be a registration by marketplace with a verified credit card. So easy to register for free, make an offer and then nothing else
The pitfalls of make offer - I have been done over every time this year - have BIN on my landers but they crawl out of the woodwork and try and get a cheaper price on other platforms, I've negotiated some - they walked, set a slightly lower BIN on others and still the prats don't go ahead......time wasters.....

Lesson learnt - set your BIN and if they offer less tell them to do one.......people think that you lowering the price constitutes weakness or as mentioned above they think you will drop it as you lowered your price.......and don't really believe in the quality of it......

It's not buyers remorse, but very similar.....agree a lower price and they think oooohh I might of got it cheaper.....or....it gives them time to look for inferior hand regs or cheaper alternatives....

•••
The thinking is, I could've had this domain at reg fee, why would I pay so much more money for it?
Not taking a shot at Branding (who's points are valid) just at the faulty thinking of some buyers that sellers should push back on. First, unless they have tracked the exact history of the domain (rare by non domainers) they have no idea what you paid for it. If it dropped in PD and went to auction it would show a recent reg date but there is no limit to what you may have paid to obtain it. Second, if you (the buyer) think a domain has value, it is irrelevant when it was bought by the seller (outside of maybe SE aging issues) the only factor is how much it is worth to you. Third, just because you saw my land/house for sale cheap by the previous seller or the bank that foreclosed on it does not entitle you to the same price. If you wanted it for the price I paid, you had the chance to show up, but you didn't :)

Last edited:
•••
If any consolation it likely wasn’t a serious buyer but a fellow domainer. I have sold some very “young” domains in that range and higher. If you know its worth the 5K hold tight. They might just be fishing for a markdown too.

•••
Not taking a shot at Branding (who's points are valid) just at the faulty thinking of some buyers that sellers should push back on. First, unless they have tracked the exact history of the domain (rare by non domainers) they have no idea what you paid for it. If it dropped in PD and went to auction it would show a recent reg date but there is no limit to what you may have paid to obtain it. Second, if you (the buyer) think a domain has value, it is irrelevant when it was bought by the seller (outside of maybe SE aging issues) the only factor is how much it is worth to you. Third, just because you saw my land/house for sale cheap by the previous seller or the bank that foreclosed on it does not entitle you to the same price. If you wanted it for the price I paid, you had the chance to show up, but you didn't :)

Nailed it :). I think those are fair points to raise and explain to a lead if they ask you to justify your asking price.

•••
I dealt with buyer like this; recently; I still closed deal; this guy actually checked the nameservers to see if changed amongst other to give them a sense of ownership time; the buyer, sent inbound inquiry, and he said i owned the domain; too long! Lol! Lose-lose; go with gut; you are dealing with someone doing all to gain leverage over u. Awful people do it. Keep your cool! You Know its value.

Last edited:
•••
I often do not respond to nonsense looking gmail hotmail after my look ups unless i can get an introduction as cannot sell to alias push those people onto your market places and pay the commission let them get tangled up in those T&C's.

•••
I certainly don't see this as being a serious buyer, more like a wind-up. Now if they had used the time since registration to push down the price (of a domain they supposedly loved) I can see that happening.
Be interesting to know from where this 5k offer originated. Sounds like response to Domain board listing given they have praised the domain, which in its self is very unusual. .

•••
Renew it for another 1-5 years and sell it for double the price later if its really a good domain.
They don't have any logic. Just blind set of rules that they follow.

•••
two buyers, domainers and web developers. That was a domainer. lol. Gl.

•••
If what you say is true, that's a lame excuse. When someone is interested in a domain name, the age does not matter.

Domains are dropping every day. Let's say DropCatch is catching a 25 years old domain. The age has been reset, and now that name is a 1 day old ...

•••
It is possible that the buyer you were dealing with had their own set of rules and criteria for the domain purchases, It's also possible that they had a change of heart or encountered budget constraints.

My advice to you would be not to get discouraged by a single rejection, if one buyer backs out, there are always more potential buyers out there. (y)

•••
Wtf difference does it make if its 10 years old, 1 year old, 1 day old??

As well know, domain names aside of ICT technical purpose, additionally serves for the marketing but, under special system of search engines informational ratings. Among, around 200 technical factors for the website placement, several are related to domain names authority that involves estimations of website historical presence and accessibility, past ratings, legality, credibility, traffic - at positive add-on value, and also spam score or malware distribution on the other side. And that, Domain Name Authority, is for some businesses the only benefit in over present competition or lack of possibility for innovative delivery to get the promotion and clients in the web searches for the niche of interest. So, longer registered domain names are mostly contributing to any website reputation and provides great SEO/SERP benefit.

Last edited:
•••
There are all sorts of people out there.

Some will not buy newly registered domains and ask, "why did it remain unregistered all this time? Must be a bad name."

And then there are others who'll not buy old domains, bacuase "why did it remain unsold all this time? Must be a bad name."

In fact, this happened to me a couple of days ago. Got an offer, but declined. Then the potential buyer said, "It's a 21 years old domain name. Why did it remain unsold all this time! Must not be very valuable."

The thing is, it's all OK. Different people will have different opinions, but the buyers are always right. If you try to convince them otherwise, then you'll most likely not get good sales.

The trick is to say yes to their most important yeses. The most important yes is that they took time to send an offer for this name. They must've considered it to be a good name to begin with. If you can convince them that their initial instinct about the name was right, and that their time is extremely valuable - chances are good that they'll come back.

Last edited:
•••
There are all sorts of people out there.

Some will not buy newly registered domains and ask, "why did it remain unregistered all this time? Must be a bad name."

And then there are others who'll not buy old domains, bacuase "why did it remain unsold all this time? Must be a bad name."

In fact, this happened to me a couple of days ago. Got an offer, but declined. Then the potential buyer said, "It's a 21 years old domain name. Why did it remain unsold all this time! Must not be very valuable."

The thing is, it's all OK. Different people will have different opinions, but the buyers are always right. If you try to convince them otherwise, then you'll most likely not get good sales.

The trick is to say yes to their most important yeses. The most important yes is that they took time to send an offer for this name. They must've considered it to be a good name to begin with. If you can convince them that their initial instinct about the name was right, and that their time is extremely valuable - chances are good that they'll come back.
Not correct.
Domainers and end users buy the domain name and not its age.
The age is just an additional nice bonus. If the domain has it.
No one never will complain the domain is too old...
Also, no one ever will complain the domain is just registered.
All these complaints are just pretexts to cancel the deal.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back