NameSilo

New to IDN where do I start?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Have a few questions in regard to idn domains. Where do I go to register these domains? Is there a site that will help with the translation as I don't know any other languages and also is there a "newbies" guide for people like me :|

Many thanks!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
•••
I would also add that if you are using Babelfish or other online translators, to take the results with a grain of salt and research before you reg (there is no perfect method, but look at Overture stats, bids, google returns, etc. to make sure your translations are in-line).

Also, while I would recommend regging a few fresh to get the experience, if you are truly looking to get into IDNs, you may want to buy some quality names on the aftermarket. Many great names are available for a steal still (which probably won't be the case after much longer).

Good luck!

•••
I would suggest that you not use Babelfish at all. The distortions can be very great and that could end up costing you meaningful money. Computerized translation, although it has made great strides, isn't good enough (for many languages) to base your investment upon.

Although it is admittedly more ponderous, a bi-directional dictionary in the language(s) of your choice would serve you much better.

S

•••
JasMate,

What languages are you targetting for IDNs? Each language has its associated set of issues and good things to know. Some of us can help with that too.

I speak Japanese and do almost exclusively Japanese IDN. I would also recommend reading the posts on IDNF - there is a treasure trove of learning by doing so.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back