IT.COM

advice New TLDs vs .com

NameSilo
Watch

Berserker

Restricted (Proxy Risk)
Impact
Hi,

For a business or any website really, if both xxxxxx.yyyyy and xxxxxxyyyyy.com are available (xxxxxx being the project name and yyyyy the "new TLD" extension), which one to choose? Or you "need" to register and maintain both?

Examples:
example.news & examplenews.com
example.monster & examplemonster.com
name.pro & namepro.com (if "pros" hadn't a "s")
etc.

What would be best if you would like to avoid paying 2 extensions every year for each project falling in this situation? (and you would probably need to redirect one to the other to centralize everything on one for the search engines and SEO).

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Consider renewal costs as well.
dot com is always affordable in terms of renewal price.
It happened today, I placed a backorder for U.exchange and later found the renewal cost on GoDaddy was over $1000. I ran with my last breath stuck in my lungs to cancel the backorder. :ROFL:

Some tlds have really high renewal costs, though it may get in your bag cheaper for 1st year. Once it's developed, you have no option but to bear the renewal costs..
There are some that are good and cheap :) but the words combinaison must have a great sens if you wanna get a good deal with it

•••
This is what I was talking about. See the highlighted renewal cost.
That's approx. $1250 (USD).

godaddy.jpg

•••
•••
.com is king due to widespread adoption and millions in marketing. Long term my opinion is we’ll see even more demand for .com driving up the prices to new heights, but also increased demand for .org, .net, maybe a few others like .io or .co due to scarcity of .com

——————-
That said, long term I do think only the very best new tlds will also do well if they make sense (like coin.shop or real.estate) and if renewal prices don’t cost an arm and a leg.

Last edited:
•••
This is what I was talking about. See the highlighted renewal cost.
That's approx. $1250 (USD).

Show attachment 177570
Bro.. why are you climbing a mountain that is too high for you now?.. you just started, one letter is too expansive. try with one words and two words that work perfectly with the extension. they are cheaper than one letter

Last edited:
•••
Bro.. why are you climbing a mountain that is too high for you now?.. you just started, one letter is too expansive. try with one words and two words that work perfectly with the extension. they are cheaper than one letter
Absolutely.
I just thought of giving it a shot and placed a backorder at SnapNames. Cancelled the backorder as soon as I noticed renewal cost.
Lesson learnt.
You are absolutely correct.l

•••
Some tlds have really high renewal costs, though it may get in your bag cheaper for 1st year. Once it's developed, you have no option but to bear the renewal costs..
Yep great point, that's the downside to many if not most new TLD's, particularly the ones labeled as "premium". Not only can it be expensive to register, but it doesn't end there- year after year it's costly to keep. Not a great prospect for a startup on limited coin, even worse prospect for domain investors.

It's why .com and other legacy extensions remain so lucrative, not to mention their popularity. The upfront cost on an aftermarket dot-com is just a lot less troublesome to deal with, it's a one-time thing even though the quality of the name might take a backseat to a shorter and better fitting new G' counterpart.

•••
Young people's habits are changing, and more and more people accept ngtlds.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back