IT.COM

advice New TLDs vs .com

NameSilo
Watch

Berserker

Restricted (Proxy Risk)
Impact
Hi,

For a business or any website really, if both xxxxxx.yyyyy and xxxxxxyyyyy.com are available (xxxxxx being the project name and yyyyy the "new TLD" extension), which one to choose? Or you "need" to register and maintain both?

Examples:
example.news & examplenews.com
example.monster & examplemonster.com
name.pro & namepro.com (if "pros" hadn't a "s")
etc.

What would be best if you would like to avoid paying 2 extensions every year for each project falling in this situation? (and you would probably need to redirect one to the other to centralize everything on one for the search engines and SEO).

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
It depends, I think .com is usually safer. But I would prefer swiss.shop to swissshop.com

•••
It depends on the market you are working on.
Example: .de is top in Germany, but internationally unknown. Internationally you need .com or .net or .org...

•••
TLD .de can't be considered a 'new (g)tld', however.

•••
@topdom That's exactly the question! ;) swiss.shop or swissshop.com?
So, what are you saying? It depends on how it sounds and may be different according to each name? I feel it would especially depend on the extension then, wouldn't it?
According to your own preference: swiss.community or swisscommunity.com? swiss.network or swissnetwork.com? swiss.one or swissone.com? (open question to everybody, not limited to Topdom)

@Meadows Yes, I agree, but as @Future Sensors mentioned, that's not a "new TLD". This is a question of country-specific vs international. Different question.

•••
.com is critical only for high traffic projects...

•••
As in the original question both gTLD and newgTLD are available, I'd certainly register both. Otherwise you're leaking visitors. Or another company will take the name. What domain to choose for your branding, well... that may be interesting and depends on a lot of factors not available here.

Last edited:
•••
It depends, I think .com is usually safer.
I am aware you don't wrote that .com is generally safer - however, I want to add that it can be a trap if one thinks "it's a .com so it must be safe", security depends primarily on HTTPS (and on common sense of course) but not on the chosen TLD itself.

Last edited:
•••
@DOMAIN ILLUMINATI I don't think he meant this kind of security. I understood he meant a "safe choice" (you can't go wrong if you choose the .com over anything else).

•••
I don't like swissshop.com because there are 3 consecutive s' . it can easily be confused with 2 and 4 consecutive s versions.

Also amazon.shop would be more valuable than amazonshop.com. In the second domain not many would be interested. in the first case Amazon Inc would go to UDRP and lose, and after this event it would become a pure premium domain.

Last edited:
•••
All things equal, I would almost always go with the .COM. It is widely used and recognized everywhere.

There is no sense adding extra friction when it comes to business.

I do agree with the example given, that the 3 "s" in a row look bad. You could correct it as SwissShop.com, but that doesn't look much better.

Brad

•••
@DOMAIN ILLUMINATI I don't think he meant this kind of security. I understood he meant a "safe choice" (you can't go wrong if you choose the .com over anything else).
Thanks for letting us know how you understood it.
The reason why I understood it the other way around is because I was not assuming (and would never assume) that one "can't go wrong by choosing the .com over anything else".
My domaining - project (virtual fight against the illuminati with a certain, non - .com - domain name as a global, symbolical weapon (due its status)), for example, wouldn't make sense with .com at all - more, it wouldn't even be possible.

Last edited:
•••
It really depends on the name.

.com is great because you can practically get away with anything in a name. Sensible or bunch of gibberish, .com doesn't discriminate.

New gTLDs are trickier, require a bit more finesse for the name to appear proper and professional. You want it to make sense.

But hands-down, to build a project or business with a great keyword1+keyword2, if you can drop the .com and replace with keyword2, I'm going new G'.

•••
6 years elapsed already...
They are not new anymore.

My personal rule - among all options I always choose the shortest domain as primary one.

Last edited:
•••
For example: MillionaireMaker.center or MillionaireMakerCenter.com? O_o:xf.laugh: They're both available (the .com just expired). Someone can grab them if they want. I'm not interested.

Thanks for everyone's input.

•••
for serious Business .com is more convinced...for personal usage(sometime also new startup), ngtld (in right sense) will be more shorter and creative look...

•••
I would have been all over NTLD's years ago - If only it wasn't so difficult to spot that tiny little dot somewhere in the middle. At least with the TLD's its become intuitive. People seem to forget it took a long time for the general public to accept typing two words without a space. I think we at least another 10 to 15 years away from having to contemplate a website name split by a dot being as equally intuitive and that maybe never.

Stick with your .com and contemplate your word/dot/word when your site is an income generator. And why your at it check -out the .net .org and cclds, Your concern list could be longer than you think if you start off down that road

Last edited:
•••
I don't like swissshop.com because there are 3 consecutive s' . it can easily be confused with 2 and 4 consecutive s versions.

Also amazon.shop would be more valuable than amazonshop.com. In the second domain not many would be interested. in the first case Amazon Inc would go to UDRP and lose, and after this event it would become a pure premium domain.
Why would amazon lose the UDRP ?

Last edited:
•••
Simple question
Which one ranks better in google ?
For ecample:

FirstBoutique.com
Or
First.Boutique ?

Let's suppose that no one of them have backlinks

Maybe the .com will rank higher coz it's aged ?

Last edited:
•••
Why would amazon lose the UDRP ?

Amazon is a generic keyword. But it still needs a good defense, for example you can say I was planning to sell stuff coming out of Amazon river, or sell this domain to someone who would do such things. By default Amazon Inc should lose, but we need to take corruption into account.

•••
It depends, I think .com is usually safer. But I would prefer swiss.shop to swissshop.com

Or, you could also have Swiss-Shop .com - this is in my humble opinion easier to read and it's a dot.com to boot.

•••
You would have to register Swissshop.com (3 "s"), Swisshop (2 "s") and Swiss-shop.com if you want to make sure to not miss anyone trying to access directly. +maybe swiss.shop. That's 3 or 4 renewals to pay ;) (assuming they're all available)

The above could make sense if you're the end user company. If you buy the DN to resell it, far less.

•••
You would have to register Swissshop.com (3 "s"), Swisshop (2 "s") and Swiss-shop.com if you want to make sure to not miss anyone trying to access directly. +maybe swiss.shop. That's 3 or 4 renewals to pay ;) (assuming they're all available)

The above could make sense if you're the end user company. If you buy the DN to resell it, far less.

Ahhhhh, the good old days when you hand cranked your computer and registered domain names by candle light. I'd say life was much easier before people started using hyphens or new gtlds. If, we have never run our own bricks and mortar business it is indeed harder to understand the complexities of everyday life. Now, we are running micro businesses from our bedrooms just using our computers, a little experience and knowledge and a few bucks to get started.

P.s.....don't forget you'd also have to register all of the above in the plural version too lol. One domain soon becomes 6...or 8. That is the cost of covering all of the bases.

Regards,

Reddstagg
Redd-Stagg
Redd.Stagg
Reddstaggs
Redd-Staggs
Redds.Stagg

Phew...I need to lie down

•••
Simple question
Which one ranks better in google ?
For ecample:

FirstBoutique.com
Or
First.Boutique ?

Let's suppose that no one of them have backlinks

Maybe the .com will rank higher coz it's aged ?
Of possible interest to you, experiments gone wild:

https://www.namepros.com/threads/is...n-search-engine-indexing-and-ranking.1173395/

https://www.namepros.com/threads/seo-practices-with-new-gtlds-great-case-studies-read-learn.1024870/

Both great studies, and ongoing. No backlinks. One leaning towards .com favoritism in ranking, the other towards new extension usage.

•••
@topdom That's exactly the question! ;) swiss.shop or swissshop.com?
So, what are you saying? It depends on how it sounds and may be different according to each name? I feel it would especially depend on the extension then, wouldn't it?
According to your own preference: swiss.community or swisscommunity.com? swiss.network or swissnetwork.com? swiss.one or swissone.com? (open question to everybody, not limited to Topdom)

@Meadows Yes, I agree, but as @Future Sensors mentioned, that's not a "new TLD". This is a question of country-specific vs international. Different question.
Consider renewal costs as well.
dot com is always affordable in terms of renewal price.
It happened today, I placed a backorder for U.exchange and later found the renewal cost on GoDaddy was over $1000. I ran with my last breath stuck in my lungs to cancel the backorder. :ROFL:

Some tlds have really high renewal costs, though it may get in your bag cheaper for 1st year. Once it's developed, you have no option but to bear the renewal costs..

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back