IT.COM

discuss keyword.shop vs keywordshop.com

NameSilo
Watch

steven55

Established Member
Impact
Hello,

This is to discuss the true value of .shop domains .
If both keyword.shop and keywordshop.com are available, which you will buy ?

Example if both below would have been available:
Toyshop.com and Toy.shop

What would have been your preference ?

-From my point, I think the big disadvantage of .shop is its cost. Its almost 3 times as expensive as .com (considering renewal fees).
-Secondly most of the people searching for these keywords are not aware of .shop and naturally type .com
instead of .shop.
So some traffic will be lost to .com initially.

Advantage of .shop is that it is clear that the domain is a shop where one can buy the related stuff.

What is your opinion?

Thanks

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Buy the .COM every time. Most end-users wont touch a .shop name. If its not available or you cant afford it, pick. a different .COM.

•••
Why not both? But if I had to choose (and both were available), then .com.

Last edited:
•••
Why not both? But if I had to choose (and both were available), then .com.

.shop has expensive renewal fees.
So If one already has .com version, should one still spend on the renewal fees for .shop domain ?

Also if .com is gone, does it help in anyway to buy .shop for that domain ?

•••
.shop has expensive renewal fees.
So If one already has .com version, should one still spend on the renewal fees for .shop domain ?

Yes, otherwise someone else could launch a website at .shop and cause confusion. $25 a year is a negligible cost for brand protection.

•••
•••
Yes, otherwise someone else could launch a website at .shop and cause confusion. $25 a year is a negligible cost for brand protection.
Thanks.

Yes, this is true when endusers are buying the domains to start their Business.
But for we domainers, who generally have to wait for 5 to 7 years or even more to sell to a End user, buying both versions would add up lot of costs.
Hence the question.
Yes, If I were a end user myself starting a shop, I may buy both..

Last edited:
•••
Thanks.

Yes, this is true when endusers are buying the domains to start their Business.
But for we domainers, who generally have to wait for 5 to 7 years or even more to sell to a End user, buying both versions would add up lot of costs.
Hence the question.
Yes, If I were a end user myself starting a shop, I may buy both..

As a domainer, get the .com and *hope* that someone will launch a website at .shop. :xf.rolleyes:

•••
At the same time, I am tempted to think that .shop is a very direct domain extension !

It tells the visitors very clearly what the domain is for:
BUYING !

Suits ECommerce very well..

Last edited:
•••
I think your OP @steven55 sums it up really well.
  • The keyword.shop is more elegant aesthetically.
  • But right now many do not know of extension (although I would say .shop more than many new gTLDs does have some familiarity), so may assume a .com (although as general purpose and national country code use strong, I am not so sure outside USA many do assume .com, but rather check)
  • The renewal fees add up rapidly.
I would probably for the first year do a deep discount on the .shop and hold both and hope to attract interest in that first year. I would host the name somewhere that you can check visit stats on keyword.shop and ExampleShop.com, and use that to decide what to do in year 2 when renewal is higher.

When registering always check the multi-year pricing. I don't know of a good deal on .shop, but at the right place now and then you can get multi-years at the standard price for just one.

Bob

•••
What would have been your preference ?

Well lets just breakdown your example question, as is.

Toyshop in .com = 7 figures anyday of the week
Toy dot shop = Yep in the thousands , maybe even reaching 10k+ is my off the wall thinking (I haven't researched the history of either)

So lets just play along for a minute - Your at 1% of the market valuation of one verses the other. (Renewal fees don't even come into the equation) So I'm truly lost as to your comparison. Sold a few second word 'Shop' .com names over the years - So the second word pair is definitely worthwhile

dotshop is definitely one of the most workables to my mind (If NTLDS ever truly find themselves)

Last edited:
•••

Just curious.. Does trademark cover this aspect?
If I register keywordshop.com and get it TM registered, still can someone use keyword.shop?

Thanks in advance.
Happy New Year

•••
No brainer the dot com but good to have both on offer one thing i hate is double letters which i still buy when make sense. eg Toys.shop toysshop.com all good still short direct but get some longer names and gtld looks way better but needs to perform and so does the dot com. Gtlds perform similar to a hyphen if that makes sense so if you can get that with out that as the dot com you will have market.

Last edited:
•••
Just curious.. Does trademark cover this aspect?
If I register keywordshop.com and get it TM registered, still can someone use keyword.shop?

Good question.
But I think it would be very difficult to secure a TM on two generic word combinations which mean the same meaning as what they suggest.
Example "Toyshop" cannot be Trademarked for Toy shop.(i.e selling Toys)
"Roseshop" could be trademarked for selling furniture. But not for selling Roses.

That's why Apple is not a TM for fruit apple.
Sameway, Facebook is not a TM for a Book of Faces.
I think TMs are allowed if you invent a new meaning to generic words or their combinations.
And also when you invent new words completely.
That way, they make more sense to be Trademarked too.

That's my take on it..

Last edited:
•••

Brilliant. Could not have been a better explanation.
Thanks a lot. :roll:

But on that note.. If I trademark something unique like asdhffhlfjklsafj and capture asdhffhlfjklsafj.com can someone still register asdhffhlfjklsafj.net or asdhffhlfjklsafj.org or asdhffhlfjklsafj.com.co etc..
Like does trademark cover the name and secure it not to be used by anyone else in any other extension? or the name does not remains same with different extension?

Last edited:
•••
Yes if you Trade mark "asdhffhlfjklsafj", you would be able to protect it for all extensions.
But generally, you can protect it for products and services for what the TM was registered.
Example if it is registered for say printers. Than if someone starts a site/Business for books with this
TM, he might have a case.

As a general rule, trademarks do not infringe one another if the underlying products or services of the two companies do not compete and are not distributed in the same trade channels or locations.

Last edited:
•••
Yes if you Trade mark "asdhffhlfjklsafj", you would be able to protect it for all extensions.
But generally, you can protect it for products and services for what the TM was registered.
Example if it is registered for say printers. Than if someone starts a site/Business for books with this
TM, he might have a case.

As a general rule, trademarks do not infringe one another if the underlying products or services of the two companies do not compete and are not distributed in the same trade channels or locations.
Perfect.. Thanks again. :xf.smile:

•••
.com is definitely better than.shop

•••
.com for sure.

People may hesitate to click on a link that end with .shop.
Moreover, if you user a .shop domain, You need to put 3X effort on SEO, in order to get the same result as .com domain.

•••
.com for sure.

People may hesitate to click on a link that end with .shop.
Moreover, if you user a .shop domain, You need to put 3X effort on SEO, in order to get the same result as .com domain.

Yeah you are right.
The intention of the site is clear "To sell".
And people who are just searching the net for educating them self about the keyword would be hesitant to
go to a .shop site.
Also a, .com domain looks smart and smooth to eyes..

But for people who are searching the net for sole purpose of buying, a .shop may help to convey that.
And they would know that they would not to be taken to a site which discusses about the keyword like that in a blog etc..

It depends upon the visitor. What his intention is for that keyword.

But you are right about the SEO effort. I don't think SEO is easy for any other extension other
than .com for an EMD.

•••
Interesting thread. .com is the clear front runner. And probably will be king for foreseeable future

But as a long term play, .shop may gain popularity, so best option is to get both imo

•••
But as a long term play, .shop may gain popularity, so best option is to get both imo

Yes, but the problem with .shop is it's high renewal fees.It's very easy to buy at a highly discounted price. But the renewals are 26 usd plus..
So if one decides to buy it, one should be prepared for spend say 26*5 around 130 USD for 5 years.
Hoping that a right end user comes along at least in 5 years.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back