Dynadot

poll New GTLD's - Do Your See The Potential or Are You Keeping Far Away

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

So Are You Open To The Possibilites Of New GTLD's OR Do You Prefer To Keep Your Distance

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • I hate these new TLD's because I am scared they will devalue my .com portfolio

votes
    0.0%
  • I don't like them because I am just a pessimitic, grumpy human being.

votes
    0.0%
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

deez007

The More I Learn The Less I "Know"Top Member
Impact
Hey Folks

I see there are continuous arguments on the forum about this.

Lots of people that are for them and lots of people against them....

So I figured might as well create this thread and then sit back and watch the fireworks :)

Cos I'm just cool like that.... :P --- Fire starter :)

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I've got a few .tech, .xyz, .online names and a long list of LLL.tech but I only bought them because of $1 promotions. I will probably only renew 2.
I'm staying away from anything long, narrow and above $1

I might buy some .webs - but only if they are cheap... which they probably won't :rolleyes:
I expect at least $50 reg fee.

•••
The poll is rigged like the nGTLD.

Basically there are only two ways to answer. Either you like them and see their wonderful potential or you hate them because of your characters flaws and subconscious 'defense mechanisms'.

The poll should include answers like:

-I don't invest in them as they have no track record and based on the domaing history of the past 15 years they are unlikely to do well.

-I don't invest in them because I base my investment decisions on hard facts and numbers not on wishful thinking.

- I don't invest in them because they are my competition and since they do control renewal prices, they will dispose of domainers once they don't need them anymore.

- I don't invest in them because I think there are better opportunities out there.

etc.

•••

Basically there are only two ways to answer. Either you like them and see their wonderful potential or you hate them because of your characters flaws and subconscious 'defense mechanisms'.
+1

•••
How about "I don't love them - but I bought a few just for sh** and giggles - I think most are too long and unnecessary"

•••

The poll should include answers like:

-I don't invest in them as they have no track record and based on the domaing history of the past 15 years they are unlikely to do well.

-I don't invest in them because I base my investment decisions on hard facts and numbers not on wishful thinking.

- I don't invest in them because they are my competition and since they do control renewal prices, they will dispose of domainers once they don't need them anymore.

- I don't invest in them because I think there are better opportunities out there.

etc.

Lol.. not rigged at all - the lack of options in the poll encourages comments like this were you can share way more options that on a single poll option.

It's either rigged OR an opportunity to share your view point in more detail than selecting a single poll option. All depends on your level of perception and how you choose to perceive it. Which ever of the two option you chose will become your reality. One can simply choose to see it as a problem/obstacle or one can choose to see it as an opportunity.

•••
Which ever of the two option you chose will become your reality.

One can not chose reality. It is what it is.

I can decide that I will be a millionaire buying lottery tickets.. if that's the reality that I chose I will still be broke.

The reality is that if you buy a nGTLD today you are not the owner you are a tenant enjoying no protection whatsoever.

The registry can raise the renewal price at any time without warning to whatever they feel the domain is worth.

A nGTLD is not your property. How I person can invest in such a rigged system is beyond me.

•••
One can not chose reality. It is what it is.

I can decide that I will be a millionaire buying lottery tickets.. if that's the reality that I chose I will still be broke.

The reality is that if you buy a nGTLD today you are not the owner you are a tenant enjoying no protection whatsoever.

The registry can raise the renwal price at any time without warning to whatever they feel the domain is worth.

A nGTLD is not your property. How I person can invest in such a rigged system is beyond me.

I never said you can choose your reality. I said you can CHOOSE how you want to perceive a certain situation. My point was about perception....If you choose to perceive a certain scenario as a problem/obstacle then that's what it will be, if you choose to perceive the exact same scenario as an opportunity then that's what it will be. The key to doing so is actually having the ability to IDENTIFY the opportunity, you won't be able to identify any opportunity if you already looking at the scenario as a problem/obstacle.

•••
I haven't bought any because I want to be a domain seller, and not a domain collector. I prefer to focus on .com/.net/.org and ccTLDs. It's already hard enough to make sales in good TLDs.

I simply don't think the risk/reward ratio in new extensions is good.

Historically, all new extensions have been failures. Why do people think that releasing hundreds and thousands more would produce a different outcome...

It's not that we shouldn't be looking to the future, we should. But let's not discard the present, and what already works today.

Anyway, they are not mainstream and I doubt they will ever be. But some people said that after 3 or 5 years they would be widespread (sounds familiar isn't it).

Quite honestly, I don't like them very much and at this point I would never use one for a real life business. I know that many TLD peddlers wouldn't either, so they don't even believe in the virtues of their merchandise but they still expect that somebody else will see value where they don't.

I could write a long post, but I will now cut to the chase:
A good name is a name that is already valuable today. In general, expecting that something not valuable today will become valuable in the future is wishful thinking, and it doesn't work. If you are not making sales after a while, not even getting inquiries, you must question your strategy.

•••
Also, I wanted to add something: many of the the names featured in the GTLD showcase threads are far from premium, in fact many would not even sell in .com. Sometimes the matching .com is even available. It is scary to see what domainers are buying, often in EAP at premium rates. The relative abundance of keywords does not mean that you should not be selective. You must be even more selective than in .com.

This is not to knock you down, but almost all the domains will be dropped at renewal time.
The attempts to capitalize in new extensions will usually fail, because the names are low-quality.

PS: the relative abundance of keywords is in fact very relative. Many extensions are not all-purpose, so not every keyword will work. The keywords that make the most sense are often registered/reserved/for sale. The opportunities are fewer than they should be, because the registries are assuming the role of domainers.

To sum up:
  • it takes lots of research to find something half-decent; and you will be competing against other domainers or the registry itself
  • the extensions have a narrow purpose and limit your development options
  • the names are usually more expensive than .com
  • the public at large is absolutely not familiar with them
  • thus they are significantly harder to sell, if they even sell
  • there are just too many strings
  • there is just too little demand
Why make life difficult ?

•••
I see potential to get screwed

•••
The big internet industries decide about its succes. :$: talks. Google is no longer ignoring the name of your extension and "The Dot is Making New Friends!" as ICANN states it. Awareness is growing of the new gTLDs. Slowly but surely we will probably see a shift towards the usage of the new domain extensions.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back