Dynadot

debate The fight for .ORG: is it about MONEY or is it about CONTROL?

NameSilo
Watch

The real reason for the .ORG change of control event is about:

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

Rob Monster

Founder of EpikTop Member
Epik Founder
Impact
As some here are aware, I previously presented the bullish case for .ORG:

https://www.namepros.com/threads/why-i-am-bullish-on-org-plutocratic-guilt.1161692/

Although I remain bullish on the .ORG TLD as a domain asset class, there is now a footnote on .ORG because of the change of control event and the precedent that it represents for a major registry.

In the wake of organized backlash against the Ethos/PIR.org deal from capable organizations such as EFF, it appears that propagandists are makeing a case for "nothing to see here". For example note this article:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/12/05/opinion/dot-org-domain.html

This article was written by a Stanford undergrad with a Stanford prof as the byline. Fade Chehade is a Stanford alum. This looks like a propaganda instrument. In fact, I put the odds at 90:10 on that.

Ultimately, I am not convinced that this is not about money. After all, Donuts is not exactly killing it since Abry took over. However, they now control a whopping 242 TLDs. These people are not stupid nor are they lazy.

Fadi is a globalist and an elite technocrat. He has a keen understanding of power, governance and realpolitik. I believe he is entirely sincere about what he thinks it is at stake. Check out his short TED interview:

https://www.ted.com/talks/fadi_cheh...itizens_can_do_to_claim_power_on_the_internet

The timing of this talk was curious. September 2018 is when the digital censorship programs went into overdrive. As some folks know, I was on the front line of that when Godaddy booted Gab.

Fadi wants "Geneva conventions", "technocratic oaths" and "stewards" for acceptable use.

Fadi also comments on Artificial Intelligence. He is absolutely right. Most folks have no idea how much impact AI combined with structured data, wireless broadband, and open standards is going to change the word.

People with access to domains, hosting and vast libraries of open source code, are capable of wielding remarkable things. The tools are already amazing. I believe AI is also in the process of being democratized.

As power of internet publishing gravitates to individuals, the framework for governance on the Internet comes down to the gatekeepers, of which domain registries play a critical role for at least the next 10 years.

Blockchain is plodding along to create a decentralized alternative. It is not ready for prime time yet. However, domains can become more resilient. That is where Epik is focused.

Now that the main industry pundits have had their commentary on .ORG, I am curious to hear what the open source community has to say about the .ORG transaction and its implications. Let's hear it.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Great news. One would expect that ICANN may now decide to migrate their HQ location away from California, as they need to continue their "productive" business activity, which may no be convinient to do with the California Attorney General. So, the state of California should not stop now, and investigations should continue... .org is just a tip of an iceberg

•••
Great news. One would expect that ICANN may now decide to migrate their HQ location away from California, as they need to continue their "productive" business activity, which may no be convinient to do with the California Attorney General. So, the state of California should not stop now, and investigations should continue... .org is just a tip of an iceberg

Well said.

Since ICANN in CA, fell CA jurisdiction, we got lucky. !

Last edited:
•••
Best news since ages! The right decision. Lets see if Ethos will give up this easily.

•••
•••
The entire California Attorney General's letter to ICANN read aloud. Then opinions about since he's a lawyer.

Last edited:
•••
Congrats to all the people in this thread, that never gave up, and kept pushing for the good fight. It really looked like ethos, and icann were 1,2 step in this together, but the attention became to much of a conflict of interest in the end.

Hopefully better protections can be put in place going forward so a few select insiders, or investors don’t have the ability to squeeze tens of millions of dollars from registered charities, or NGO’s in essentially a transfer of wealth scenario simply to enrich themselves, forget talking about adding more services, or marketing.

This one really is one for the little guy, and I hope we see change going forward.

It will be interesting what happens to Ethos, and their money now, if they try to buy something else. Maybe they should acquire UNR.

Last edited:
•••
thinking to keep only one org
org is unsellable in current times

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back