Dynadot

New gTLD investor Demographics

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

What is the demographics of new gTLD investors?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • 18 - 25 years old

• 25 - 30 years old

• 30 - 35 years old

• 35 - 40 years old

• 40 - 45 years old

• 45 - 60 years old

• >60 years old

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.

Results are only viewable after voting.

atinc

EntrepreneurTop Member
Impact
When it comes to the renewal time I keep my new gTLDs and drop most of my .com domains.

I think new gTLDs are under estimated as of today and will keep grow in value in time.

Most of the new gTLD bashers are middle aged or just old as I observed on namePros and I understand why they hate new gTLDs so much because it effects their .com aftermarket sales while there are super generics available with new gTLDs.

I am curious about the demographics of new gTLD investors.

I am 28 years old and I think young people will determine how the new internet will be shaped.

This thread is exclusive for only new gTLD investors to prevent bashers to speculate on the results.

Please go ahead and participate the poll to see the average age of new gTLD investors.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
@jaseon I am thankful for your support buddy, but @JB Lions got a point on the link he shared above.

You won`t make any sales with these domains man, no offense but I got no idea about even what

PHXAZ.ACCOUNTANTS
PHXAZ.BID
PHXAZ.BUSINESS

even mean.

You need to learn before you make any further investments with new g`s cause they will cost you more money then .com.

I would suggest you to read @lolwarrior `s book which you can find part of it here:

https://www.namepros.com/threads/ne...-part-1-pizza-diamonds-short-domains.1036314/

https://www.namepros.com/threads/ne...chaotic-versus-structured-portfolios.1038192/

https://www.namepros.com/threads/ne...art-3-big-guys-flippers-and-builders.1041274/
Wait have you sceen how other city, state codes new gTLD's have been doing? maybe I won't hit on all of those but like I said I regged those for pennies, the worst that will happen is I will turn .business into a phx az business directory, and bid will be a bids guide affiliate, and phoenix az accountant has the most hits beside .club. Thanks for your opinion but you strictly domain guys lack vision, it seems.

•••
Wait have you sceen how other city, state codes new gTLD's have been doing? maybe I won't hit on all of those but like I said I regged those for pennies, the worst that will happen is I will turn .business into a phx az business directory, and bid will be a bids guide affiliate, and phoenix az accountant has the most hits beside .club. Thanks for your opinion but you strictly domain guys lack vision, it seems.

He said he wasn't a domainer, so he's not a domain guy. I started out with developing, so I do both.

"Wait have you sceen how other city, state codes new gTLD's have been doing?"

I asked you about other sales in that pattern, they don't exist but you seem to think they do? Post them. So I can "sceen" how they're doing.

You're going to start a city business directory in 2017? Have you done one of those before, if so, which one, how much does it make?

Look at your competition - https://www.google.com/search?q=phoenix+business+directory&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

No chance.

•••

I know how they are doing man, now I get it, it is Phoenix Arizona...

I still suggest you to read @lolwarrior `s posts.

He is sharing his experiences with new gTLDs which costed him some capital.

I think phoenix or Arizona alone makes more sense with these extensions. I didn`t even get what the hack is PHXAZ mean.

Last edited:
•••
phx az . business doesn't make since :rolleyes:

•••
city and state code, check it out some time

•••
city and state code, check it out some time

I think either state or city name is enough.

Combining them with short versions doesn`t make any sense at all.

•••
@atinc
I live in Greece and I know what phx az stands for

btw. I support ngtlds and I also believe that some of them will succeed but I believe this thread took the wrong turn.... like every other ngtld thread does really :/

•••
@atinc
I live in Greece and I know what phx az stands for

btw. I support ngtlds and I also believe that some of them will succeed but I believe this thread took the wrong turn.... like every other ngtld thread does really :/
Yeah @Hypersot ?

I lived and studied in New York , Manhattan but I didn`t get what the hack PHXAZ.ACCOUNTANTS means.

Btw I am form Turkey, Istanbul...

Stin iyia mas! :xf.wink:

Last edited:
•••
Anyways as I mentioned on my first post in this thread I don`t want any bashers to come and make a post since they got no any valid answers that I am looking for on my question on the poll.

That's not even genuine and no that wasn't my poll answer.

"Most of the new gTLD bashers are middle aged or just old as I observed on namePros and I understand why they hate new gTLDs so much because it effects their .com aftermarket sales while there are super generics available with new gTLDs."

You invite it each time on purpose. You could have just asked a question with the poll.

•••
That's not even genuine and no that wasn't my poll answer.

"Most of the new gTLD bashers are middle aged or just old as I observed on namePros and I understand why they hate new gTLDs so much because it effects their .com aftermarket sales while there are super generics available with new gTLDs."

You invite it each time on purpose. You could have just asked a question with the poll.

What was your answer then? :xf.smile:

That`s just my way buddy and that`s really what I observed spending time on namePros.

True..

•••
Domaining (sorry: "domain name investing") is not the future of domain names but new gTLDs, with descriptive extensions, is.

•••
•••
I am not sure what is the purpose of this poll.
It should come as no surprise that nTLD investors are less experienced with domain names on average. Those who have some experience (possibly being burnt in the past) are usually more restrained toward new extensions.

But it's not really a question of age. Some people may discover domaining after they retired. NP has members from all walks of life.
If you are trying to suggest that the young generation is more open to new extensions - I don't believe it at all. One good reason is that they have grown up surrounded with .com and ccTLDs. These are the TLDs that are ingrained in the minds of consumers.

As to the claim that "young people will determine how the new internet will be shaped". I have a more nuanced opinion. Consumers (whether young or aged) don't shape the Internet, it is the entrepreneurs who will, based on the expectations of the public. Consumers provide feedback but usually don't have a direct influence on things.

Even the startups seem to prefer established extensions, or sometimes they go with ccTLDs such .io or .ai or whatever (depending on the fad of the moment), domain hacks, brandable names, 'creative' domains. New extensions are not a popular/obvious choice, even for startups. Consumers have spoken already.

PS: I didn't vote in the poll since I am not a 'gTLD investor'. My age doesn't matter anyway.

•••
If you're a domain investor, save your time and money and focus on .com. If you're a developer, get whatever you like because the value will be in your work. If you're a major company, it has to be .com due to marketing, email security, and overall public recognition reasons.

•••
Such POV is like: stay with PayPal, ignore Bitcoin...

•••
Most of the new gTLD bashers are middle aged or just old .. I am 28 years old
How old will you be when you get that big sale?
You could get a gold-plated Zimmer frame and really live it up (y)

Last edited:
•••
How old will you be when you get that big sale?
You could get a gold-plated Zimmer frame and really live it up (y)

Is there any one who can tell when they will have a sale, not even mentioning a good sale, just a sale?

How old will you be when you start asking reasonable questions?

Nice profile picture (y)

•••
Joking apart @atinc , what I asked was a reasonable question. It might be ten or twenty years of renewals before new gTLDs start seeing decent returns for investors, if at all. Don't get me wrong, I think some work really well on many levels, but the early "new" gTLDs are over 15 years old now and still haven't caught on in any significant numbers.
Nice profile picture
Thanks for the compliment - not my best side but a nice pic :xf.smile:

Last edited:
•••
Joking apart @atinc , what I asked was a reasonable question. It might be ten or twenty years of renewals before new gTLDs start seeing decent returns for investors, if at all. Don't get me wrong, I think some work really well on many levels, but the early "new" gTLDs are over 15 years old now and still haven't caught on in any significant numbers.
Thanks for the compliment - not my best side but a nice pic :xf.smile:

There is no early "new" gtlds.

I guess you are talking about .mobi and .biz right? Those are not really new gTLDs and personally I don`t like these extensions.

Last edited:
•••
I am 25 but there is no such age. There is smart domainers and not too smart domainers, that's all. New gTLD have much potential, market speaks for itself. When you open any registrant, they offers you mostly gTLD. There is no sense to pay thousands for aftermarket bullshit name when you have pure generic gTLD available. People choose usability.

•••
I am 25 but there is no such age. There is smart domainers and not too smart domainers, that's all. New gTLD have much potential, market speaks for itself. When you open any registrant, they offers you mostly gTLD. There is no sense to pay thousands for aftermarket bullsh*t name when you have pure generic gTLD available. People choose usability.

The delusion among new gtld investors. Your post made no sense. The obvious ones aren't available to end users at a good price. So it being available is a lie. Either the registry has them or people hold out for xx,xxx like atinc does.

"Most important to take away from this data is that the new domain name extensions have failed miserably in getting any traction among funded startups. Even an exotic ccTLD such as .Ai got more market share among startups than all the hundreds of new GTLDs combined."

https://www.namepros.com/blog/domai...rnatives-to-com-in-2017.1042486/#post-6366585

.ai getting more than hundreds of new gtlds combined. Really think about that, let that set in.

ai > hundreds of new gtlds combined.

Last edited:
•••
I don't like to see any thread get personal in its comments But I do agree. New domain extension investors need to be wary and indeed learn from the likes of .biz.info.mobi.pro etc These all had good interest at their launch but very few have stayed the test of time. For anyone to say they don't like the comparison to the hundreds of newest extensions, is missing a check on reality. None of us can dictate where the market is going but the older generation do know where its been. The facts are that most businesses would rather operate on a longer but relevant dotcom or a Country code domain than take a chance with a domain extension that just doesn't have that established connection. Will the market ever change ? I personally doubt it, as I've stated I don't think its got anything to do with age just experience and history. the fact that the domain market overall is less buoyant is indeed mostly due to the new domain money going into these new extensions but that doesn't mean it's going into new business start-ups, just stacked-up inventory. and may I add people can indeed talk about holding-out for 10 or more years probably fine if your into a Roulette wheel gamble of say 20 to 40,000 dollars as a minimum,

personally I do like some of the Very Very clever hacks - and I think they will always have a market. please don't connect that to some of the totally ludicrous stuff that just appeals to the registrant because it looks good

Last edited:
•••
Is it a guess? Or a survey? As a guess would say younger people. I am 45 and will buy exact type in gTLD's. Logic is older people were around to buy better dot coms.

•••
Is it a guess? Or a survey? As a guess would say younger people. I am 45 and will buy exact type in gTLD's. Logic is older people were around to buy better dot coms.

No it is a survey.

•••
thanks for that reminder, so even though I'm 60, I have just voted at the lowest end. but, my gut-feel it really is anybody at any age with no real domain history behind them. I'm sorry to be so negative but its difficult to conclude otherwise

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back