Domain Empire

First new gTLD deleted from the net!!! Caution to all.

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Will other GTLDs fail?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

,doosan gtld is deleted. This will happen more and more to other gtld that fail to make money. I've been saying this kind of thing will happen for some time now.

Caution to all owners of new GTLDs!

Here is the link thanks to DomainSherpa:

http://www.domainsherpa.com/wp-content/share.php?site=http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/Domainincite-RSS/~3/pZG4AOWb3Zk/20055-first-new-gtld-deleted-from-the-net

I would like to also thank Kate for bringing this up in a post yesterday.

Please discuss your thoughts, concerns, successes, failures and anything else about the gtld market.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
doosan? what kind of gtld is that?
I mean, who will use doosan and for what purpose?

•••
This is a private brand, not a gtld...

•••
I'm just going by the info in the article.

Of course it's a shitty extension and wouldn't be used by anyone. That is the point. If it is not being used that much and fails, ICANN will allow it to be deleted.

What do you guys think will happen to other extensions that aren't being used and are a financial failure?

This is the first to be deleted, there will be more, mark my words.

ICANN has allowed too many crappy gtlds to come to market.

There is always hype and marketing when they roll out a new gtld, then the next greatest thing comes along. Some will succeed and some will fail. It's great when and IF they do succeed, but when they DO fail, we are the ones holding the flaming bag of shit that ICANN left on our doorstep.

•••
As much more new tlds will be on market so much .com authority will raise.. I hope icann will launch more 1000 new tlds on market :)

•••
I'm just going by the info in the article.

Of course it's a sh*tty extension and wouldn't be used by anyone. That is the point. If it is not being used that much and fails, ICANN will allow it to be deleted.

What do you guys think will happen to other extensions that aren't being used and are a financial failure?

This is the first to be deleted, there will be more, mark my words.

ICANN has allowed too many crappy gtlds to come to market.

There is always hype and marketing when they roll out a new gtld, then the next greatest thing comes along. Some will succeed and some will fail. It's great when and IF they do succeed, but when they DO fail, we are the ones holding the flaming bag of sh*t that ICANN left on our doorstep.

I don't think you understood what @Asfas1000 tried to say
the extension is a *brand* extension and not a gtld one.
It didn't fail. The company behind the brand decided they didn't need it :/

•••
I guess the question is how much does it cost to maintain a registry? For example, if it costs $250k/year, you need either 25k registrations with $10 renewals or perhaps 2500 regs with $100 renewals or 250k registrations with $1 renewals. .XYZ is bringing in a huge number of registrations with teaser inital pricing and some percentage of those will renew even when the renewal cost is higher. But it is possible as well that individual domains deemed as premium may have their renewal rates increased in an attempt to boost registry revenues and maintain profitability.

•••
regardless of the extension. Why is ICANN allowing them to open and close the extension. What is to stop them from doing this with others that are failures.

So the company decides whether or not the extension is allowed to continue? What will happen to Mind+Machine's gtlds that they deem a financial failure? Will they be allowed to drop their gtlds with no say from the owners?

This is a slippery slope that needs to be addressed.

•••
If you want to hype your agenda you might want to wait until an open non-brand extension is being deleted.

•••
But it is possible as well that individual domains deemed as premium may have their renewal rates increased in an attempt to boost registry revenues and maintain profitability.

I tried bringing up that same point before in other posts, but everyone thought I was an alarmist.

I think these company/registries that have popped up are going to screw us in the long run.

When renewals drop off because higher fees than the initial cheap $1 reg's, they will have no other choice but to raise the renewal fees higher, drop the gtld, or go out of business. No company can justify owning or running something that is a financial failure.

•••
If you want to hype your agenda you might want to wait until an open non-brand extension is being deleted.

My only agenda is "A word of caution!"

Do you think a registry will continue to prop up any extension that is a failure. Many are to new to go under, but WHAT happens when they do?

ICANN will allow them to close shop.

I bash the gtld all the time, but I'm just trying to point out the fact that we as owners have very little say in what is going on with them. I do own a couple gltds so I don't want them to fail. If they do though, what recourse do I have against ICANN or the registry? None that I know of.

Does anyone on here know what will happen if other extensions fail?

What will happen when there are mergers within the registries? Can and will fees change? Can we lose our domains?
These are legitimate questions that need to be asked, not an "Agenda"!

•••
•••
"ccTLDs are removed somewhat regularly, when international borders are redrawn."

Does anyone know of any of these ccTLDs that have been removed?

luckily the other new tlds are not sh*tty ...

but there are some that are...
What do think will happen to the ones that are crappy?

If they do not make money for the registry, my belief is that they will be allowed to fail and be removed. The good ones that do make money will always be around.

•••
•••
Doosan is korean company. Korean didn't know ****.doosan absolutely as most people didn't know another New gTLDs. Doosan just dumped it because it's useless. ONLY ICAAN IS A WINNER.

•••
"ccTLDs are removed somewhat regularly, when international borders are redrawn."

Does anyone know of any of these ccTLDs that have been removed?
Yes. Some examples:

.zr (Zaire) => .cd
.cz (Czechoslovakia) => .cz, .sk
.yu (Yugovlavia) => .me, .mk., .hr, .rs, .si, .ba
.an (Netherland Antilles): .retired a few months ago

Normally a TLD is subject to guaranteed 3 years of continuity.
In this case it was a private extension (corpTLD), not open for registration to the public. So there are no adverse consequences from retiring it early.

•••
Not much of a warning here, it was never used by the company. LOL!

•••
Sometimes people just want to scream and be heard when there is actually no news. The *warning* is irrelevant as @Asfas1000 and @vivaldi and others including my favorite puffin point out. Much ado about nothing - these circumstances were considered in the agreements.

A snippet - emphasis mine.

4.5 Transition of Registry upon Termination of Agreement.

..... After consultation with Registry Operator, ICANN shall determine whether or not to transition operation of the TLD to a successor registry operator in its sole discretion and in conformance with the Registry Transition Process; provided, however, that (i) ICANN will take into consideration any intellectual property rights of Registry Operator (as communicated to ICANN by Registry Operator) in determining whether to transition operation of the TLD to a successor registry operator and (ii) if Registry Operator demonstrates to ICANN’s reasonable satisfaction that (A) all domain name registrations in the TLD are registered to, and maintained by, Registry Operator or its Affiliates for their exclusive use,...

•••
I tried bringing up that same point before in other posts, but everyone thought I was an alarmist.

I think these company/registries that have popped up are going to screw us in the long run.

When renewals drop off because higher fees than the initial cheap $1 reg's, they will have no other choice but to raise the renewal fees higher, drop the gtld, or go out of business. No company can justify owning or running something that is a financial failure.
When you start a business, you should already know that life is full of risk. You own a shoestore and then there is the internet. You invest in real estate and prices drop. In any business you have risks. It may be the market. It may be the government with new regulations, it may be a new competitor. When you invest in stocks you know the company may go bankrupt. I assume that every professional in here already figured this out.

•••
..... After consultation with Registry Operator, ICANN shall determine whether or not to transition operation of the TLD to a successor registry operator

Now if the TLD is a financial failure, no other registry will want to take on the failed operations of the TLD that failed.

There is no registry that would take on a failed TLD. Where does that leave the domain holders in that TLD?
Eventually some of the GTLDs will fail.

If i buy a condo and the market crashes, my condo is worth less. The condo is not wiped of the face of the earth.

•••
The question is whether ICANN will setup some sort of organization to run existing domains on failed TLDs.

•••
If i buy a condo and the market crashes, my condo is worth less. The condo is not wiped of the face of the earth.
If you buy shares and the company goes bankrupt, your shares are wiped from the face of the earth. You know the risk. If you dont want that, dont buy them.

•••
And if you buy a condo at a Phuket beach in Thailand, and a tsunami comes, your condo is wiped from the face of the earth. Assess the risk for yourself and decide if its worth the risk.......

•••
And if you buy a condo at a Phuket beach in Thailand, and a tsunami comes, your condo is wiped from the face of the earth. Assess the risk for yourself and decide if its worth the risk.......

There's a thing called "Insurance". If someone burns my condo down, they are held liable. Tsunami or arson, my condo is gone. In both cases I've lost my condo to no fault of my own, but I have some recourse in both cases.

I guess we should just bend over and except it when we get screwed over by companies then shouldn't we? No.
Because there is risk in everything we do, companies shouldn't be held liable at all because we know there are risks? No.

The question is whether ICANN will setup some sort of organization to run existing domains on failed TLDs

I can answer that....no they won't! Why set up an org or business that runs failures? It won't happen ever.

I'm sounding the alarm that this type of stuff can and will happen. If you don't want to think that it can't, that is up to you. Everyone can stick their head in the sand if they want. I like to have my eyes and ears open and my head on a swivel.

We need to stand together so when it does, we know what actions to take or things to avoid.

ICANN and the registries don't have our best interest in mind! People on here are really the only ones helping each other by pointing out things to be aware of. We are the only ones promoting gtlds or bringing up concerns regarding them.
The registries don't promote the gtlds and lie about the registrations. They would never tell us that there is a problem with the business. They just lower initial reg fees to get you to buy more or they raise the renewal fees to get you to pay more for the assets you already have.

It's easy to say "Yes the gtlds are awesome and we should all go empty our bank accounts to buy them up."

It's hard to voice any concerns we have regarding the new gtlds or registries because people that have invested a lot in them are fighting back against any concerns that are brought to the front lines.

I'll keep up the fight regardless and always be looking out for my fellow domainers. Everyone on here should be doing the same. It only helps us, it also helps the business/registries by keeping them in good practice. If they fail, we will fail along with them.

•••
I can answer that....no they won't! Why set up an org or business that runs failures? It won't happen ever.
ICANN could do that to ensure domains aren't lost when TLDs fail. It would be similar to how the FDIC restored trust in banking.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back