IT.COM

New gTLD investor Demographics

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

What is the demographics of new gTLD investors?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • 18 - 25 years old

• 25 - 30 years old

• 30 - 35 years old

• 35 - 40 years old

• 40 - 45 years old

• 45 - 60 years old

• >60 years old

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.

Results are only viewable after voting.

atinc

EntrepreneurTop Member
Impact
When it comes to the renewal time I keep my new gTLDs and drop most of my .com domains.

I think new gTLDs are under estimated as of today and will keep grow in value in time.

Most of the new gTLD bashers are middle aged or just old as I observed on namePros and I understand why they hate new gTLDs so much because it effects their .com aftermarket sales while there are super generics available with new gTLDs.

I am curious about the demographics of new gTLD investors.

I am 28 years old and I think young people will determine how the new internet will be shaped.

This thread is exclusive for only new gTLD investors to prevent bashers to speculate on the results.

Please go ahead and participate the poll to see the average age of new gTLD investors.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
How can you discern that ntld investors are less experienced with domain names on average? What evidence can you provide to support that argument?
Very fair question.

I have my own idea based on what I've seen and heard from ntld investors here and elsewhere.
You can tell some people are newcomers just by their comments that are naΓ―ve, or loaded with wishful thinking.
No knowledge of history: how was the Internet landscape in 2000 and even before. Worse: no willingness to learn... ignoring the inconvenient history, dismissing the experience of veterans. This time it will be different ! Yes, it's always different... but it repeats itself. .asia .mobi .whatever. Same script, different players, same outcome.

Ignoring the history of failed extensions in the past. New extensions are not new.
You can tell some people are newcomers by their registration date.
Or their unhealthy portfolios (made up of new extensions 100% or 90% or still too much).
Or their absence of track record making sales.
If you haven't even sold .com you don't have the proof of concept. Trying to sell nTLDs is going to be even more difficult. If you haven't made sales, you are de facto less experienced.

it's the "youngsters" that are the ones innovating obsolete technologies. The past definitely helps the future, but you have to understand that at some point, the past becomes irrelevant. The internet stops for no one, you can either keep talking and debating about "oldies" vs "newbies" or adapt to the change and take advantage of the future.
New extensions work exactly like the old ones, so there is no technological progress involved at all. Thus old extensions are no more obsolete than the new. That is from a technical POV. From a marketing/awareness POV, new extensions have not achieved much.
The Internet is changing, for example it has shifted from desktop to mobile in a few years. But the underlying protocols are awfully old and stable in comparison. Domain name are not mere technical identifiers, they are brands and even virtual flags (ccTLDs). Some people seem to think they have little relevance and can easily exchanged be when it's not the case.

For example, in 2016, how many domainers would have thought a domain like shop.link or live.bingo, could go for more than low x,xxx? Apart from the usual suspects in the ngtld crowd, most would be against the idea of them even selling for $1500 bucks, but that's the difference between actual expertise in a niche and those who rely on dissimilar knowledge to speculate.
It's nothing surprising, there are always flukes. Always have been, in pretty much every extension. Still doesn't mean it's a smart investment. Especially when it's almost always the registries making the significant sales.

Also, most successful domainers are very critical of new extensions and tend to avoid them. Even Berkens who is doing better than average has had a bad experience with them, that he posted on his blog.
It's possible that they are not comfortable with new extensions and stuck with their old habits, like R Schwarz for example. But that is not a satisfactory explanation. These people know what they are doing, and they have a proven track record. If nTLDs were a great opportunity, then they would be seizing it. Of course, they know the risk is much higher and the financial reward just may not be there. And even the rules are not the same: no pricing caps, clawbacks, unethical conduct from some registries, bad reputation, in the face of sluggish consumer demand.

Some people will make sales though, but fewer people will be making repeat sales. And even fewer will be making big sales in new extensions. Unless maybe they are a registry.

•••
Most of the new gTLD bashers are middle aged or just old as I observed on namePros and I understand why they hate new gTLDs so much because it effects their .com aftermarket sales while there are super generics available with new gTLDs.

Replace old with experienced. If you had a poll like this and asked how long they've been in the industry, most new gltd "investors" would lean more to new.

•••
I agree partially, but I also agree w/ atinc. The older generation isn't evolving with the times, surprise sie or recognizing the already established power of many new gTLD's
.club, .top, .online, .shop, .store, .vip, .link, .life. Those won't be going any time soon.

That being said, there is a lot of bullshi t in the new gTLD world. For example, .horse, or .build, who couldn't stand the heat.

You just listed some new gtlds as "established power" but some don't have good reported sales. .store just 1 sale $1,000 and over, .vip, 0 sales using Namebio. Where are you seeing power in those? atinc still hasn't sold any new gtlds. Younger people don't have any more insight, since information is out there for everybody. Plus, older people more likely to have kids.

Last edited:
•••
I got $50,000 valuation for some of my new gTLD domains and this comes from nP members since 2011.
Seriously ? Even if I owned nTLDs and R Schwarz appraised them at 50K I still wouldn't believe that. I am a NP member since 2005 and I would probably give you a very different opinion. So what ?
This is exactly why I am saying some nTLDs investors are inexperienced (and even gullible).
They think because they got a nice appraisal it reflects actual market value when it is in fact a best-case scenario. Any domain could sell for 50K if the stars align right but the odds of winning the lottery are higher.
Until you have a made a sale, those generous appraisals are just opinions that are not backed up by hard cash or personal history of sales.

If you are relying on third parties to appraise the value of your holdings, you are in the wrong business. But I understand it feels good when people tell you what you want to hear.

•••
I totally agree with you man, .horse and some other new gTLDs do not make any sense at all. I don`t see these low quality new G`s will valuate anything in future. But let`s be honest here, some new gTLD combinations makes more sense than the .com version.

Mr. Carleone, How do u do? Its been a long time we haven`t speak, it might be cause I have not posted on new gTLDs section lately. Cause when I do I am pretty sure you are here to not the agree. :xf.smile:

How is it going for you lately whit your . com investments? Any improvements in sales this year?

I wish you best of luck, I give you a hint, at least invest on a really nice generic with new G`s I am pretty sure it will make you more bucks than your low $xx sales with .com in time.

:xf.wink:

Yes, I posted that elsewhere, sold about 12% of my portfolio, 45 names.

You've still sold 0 new gtlds, still acting like these are great investments. Just not something you've experienced. At all.

Last edited:
•••
I am not sure what is the purpose of this poll.
It should come as no surprise that nTLD investors are less experienced with domain names on average. Those who have some experience (possibly being burnt in the past) are usually more restrained toward new extensions.

But it's not really a question of age. Some people may discover domaining after they retired. NP has members from all walks of life.
If you are trying to suggest that the young generation is more open to new extensions - I don't believe it at all. One good reason is that they have grown up surrounded with .com and ccTLDs. These are the TLDs that are ingrained in the minds of consumers.

As to the claim that "young people will determine how the new internet will be shaped". I have a more nuanced opinion. Consumers (whether young or aged) don't shape the Internet, it is the entrepreneurs who will, based on the expectations of the public. Consumers provide feedback but usually don't have a direct influence on things.

Even the startups seem to prefer established extensions, or sometimes they go with ccTLDs such .io or .ai or whatever (depending on the fad of the moment), domain hacks, brandable names, 'creative' domains. New extensions are not a popular/obvious choice, even for startups. Consumers have spoken already.

PS: I didn't vote in the poll since I am not a 'gTLD investor'. My age doesn't matter anyway.

•••
Seriously ? Even if I owned nTLDs and R Schwarz appraised them at 50K I still wouldn't believe that. I am a NP member since 2005 and I would probably give you a very different opinion. So what ?
This is exactly why I am saying some nTLDs investors are inexperienced (and even gullible).
They think because they got a nice appraisal it reflects actual market value when it is in fact a best-case scenario. Any domain could sell for 50K if the stars align right but the odds of winning the lottery are higher.
Until you have a made a sale, those generous appraisals are just opinions that are not backed up by hard cash or personal history of sales.

If you are relying on third parties to appraise the value of your holdings, you are in the wrong business. But I understand it feels good when people tell you what you want to hear.

appraisals are worthless because the price does not include the likelihood of a sale.

We can easily argue how the domain could be worth 50k to the right buyer or how it should sell for 50k but that doesn't mean that it will ever sell for that perfect price. Usually it does not.

When you are a bag holder it does not matter if you hold a 50k bag or not.

Last edited:
•••
@atinc
I live in Greece and I know what phx az stands for

btw. I support ngtlds and I also believe that some of them will succeed but I believe this thread took the wrong turn.... like every other ngtld thread does really :/

•••
@atinc
I live in Greece and I know what phx az stands for

btw. I support ngtlds and I also believe that some of them will succeed but I believe this thread took the wrong turn.... like every other ngtld thread does really :/
Yeah @Hypersot ?

I lived and studied in New York , Manhattan but I didn`t get what the hack PHXAZ.ACCOUNTANTS means.

Btw I am form Turkey, Istanbul...

Stin iyia mas! :xf.wink:

Last edited:
•••
Most of the new gTLD bashers are middle aged or just old .. I am 28 years old
How old will you be when you get that big sale?
You could get a gold-plated Zimmer frame and really live it up (y)

Last edited:
•••
Wow that's asking for bite post slader23. It's 3.30 in the morning here in the UK, so i'll save myself till tomorrow. ;)

ps simple language of posts should give you an inkling. but hey, we'll share the real secrets tomorrow

I was just asking a question, if you're going to go out and say that one group has more experience and knows more than the other group then you better have some damn evidence to support it. At the same time I don't necessarily disagree with her initial statement, I will say however, that at one point everyone and their grandma knew how to use a Nokia phone but due to the advent of technological innovation and the stagnation of Nokia as a cellular phone company as whole, everyone had to re-adapt and spend time to learn about what would soon be the new normal (IOS and Android) and I strongly believe that is what is happening today but more generally in the middle price range of two word .com's that have ngtld alternatives.

Many investors are too focused on what's happening TODAY and not what will happen TOMORROW. For example, in 2016, how many domainers would have thought a domain like shop.link or live.bingo, could go for more than low x,xxx? Apart from the usual suspects in the ngtld crowd, most would be against the idea of them even selling for $1500 bucks, but that's the difference between actual expertise in a niche and those who rely on dissimilar knowledge to speculate. Both those names btw have sold for greater than $6000 USD, with Shop.Link taking the cake and selling for $25k. Shop link isn't even a major ngtld hack in terms of statistics with only 1000 monthly searches and a cpc of 15 cents, but there are businesses that use the phrase and functionally I don't think you can get much better than that combination. Shoplink.com....remains parked and for sale.

In fact I implore everyone to look at the ICO markets as an example...how many ICO's do you see using a new gtld as their main client facing domain name? I bet everyone would automatically think none...but when you look...you will be completely shocked to find that a lot of blockchain startups use new gtlds. It's time to get out of the echo chamber and seriously learn, read, research and analyze for yourselves.

Last edited:
•••
How can you discern that ntld investors are less experienced with domain names on average? What evidence can you provide to support that argument?

It's no secret some of the top new gltd fans are new to the industry. If you're new, you're obviously going to have less experience. Some literally have sold 0 domains in their life, some posting in this thread.

Then this ridiculous argument again - "advent of technological innovation" New extensions aren't technological innovation, they're just new extensions.

You do the typical pick a random sale here and there to try to make some argument when startups are using .ai more than new gtlds combined. Overall numbers down, half are China regs etc. Same points brought up again and again.

New gTLD investor Demographics

If you did a better poll and asked how long they've been domaining, some of the biggest new gtld investors would be newer to the industry.

Last edited:
•••
No problem, imagine your horror if some sharpie had snagged those 2 names for $14979!

•••
.Mobi is not a New gTLD... :facepalm:

it is a generic string TLD for a specific niche so there is no difference between a new GTLD and .mobi

The only difference is that .mobi has collapsed long time ago while the new Gs are in the process of collapsing

•••
When it comes to the renewal time I keep my new gTLDs and drop most of my .com domains.

I think new gTLDs are under estimated as of today and will keep grow in value in time.

Well, it must say something about the quality of your .COM holding if you are just dropping them.
Hope your gTLD's are better.

I have little more than a dozen and most are either one keyword where the gTLD compliments it or the gTLD is a compliment to the good .com I am holding that adds value to it as a package.
(VR.Bargains VR.Discount - TeleporterTours.Com / Teleporter.Tours)
And as far as I have seen in my sales, they have had no effect on .COM sales.
If fact, I don't see much 'real end-use' of gTLD's except for those covering their keyword bases.
Just investor speculation and those that have no other choice for a name that represents what they do, and spammers who just buy a cheap intro priced gTLD.
gTLD's are not a investors paradise with few exceptions. Mainly flippers.
But perhaps a paradise for some end-users in the future at a hand reg level.

It could be that gTLD's situation will change in the future, but that is not coming for at least 5 years anyway.
Many registries may go belly-up before that happens if they fail to keep enough renewing.
I listened to these same claims when .info .biz .mobi .us .tv .me were made and they have been out there most likely before you started domaining and have not been a investors paradise either.
Perhaps for some end users in a hand reg.
But you can look at the 6+ year history of those above for a sneek-peek at what is in store for gTLD's.
For what gTLD's really had effect on was 'the going price for alternative names'.

My opinions are not caused by age, but experience.
How many times do you allow someone to hit your hand with the hammer before you move it out the way ?
It sounds like you have not had your first whack yet. Younger domain'rs always get sucked into hype.
To many parameters are not in their consideration.
Save a few fingers and some pain and learn from history. It's always relevant.
Good Luck.

Last edited:
•••
Replace old with experienced. If you had a poll like this and asked how long they've been in the industry, most new gltd "investors" would lean more to new.

I agree partially, but I also agree w/ atinc. The older generation isn't evolving with the times, surprise sie or recognizing the already established power of many new gTLD's
.club, .top, .online, .shop, .store, .vip, .link, .life. Those won't be going any time soon.

That being said, there is a lot of bullshi t in the new gTLD world. For example, .horse, or .build, who couldn't stand the heat.

•••

I totally agree with you man, .horse and some other new gTLDs do not make any sense at all. I don`t see these low quality new G`s will valuate anything in future. But let`s be honest here, some new gTLD combinations makes more sense than the .com version.

You just listed some new gtlds as "established power" but some don't have good reported sales. .store just 1 sale $1,000 and over, .vip, 0 sales using Namebio. Where are you seeing power in those? atinc still hasn't sold any new gtlds. Younger people don't have any more insight, since information is out there for everybody. Plus, older people more likely to have kids.

Mr. Carleone, How do u do? Its been a long time we haven`t speak, it might be cause I have not posted on new gTLDs section lately. Cause when I do I am pretty sure you are here to not the agree. :xf.smile:

How is it going for you lately whit your . com investments? Any improvements in sales this year?

I wish you best of luck, I give you a hint, at least invest on a really nice generic with new G`s I am pretty sure it will make you more bucks than your low $xx sales with .com in time.

:xf.wink:

Last edited:
•••

Given the ages of the new gTLD's, would it be prudent to be selling on those investments already?

I didn't say everyone that I named had established power. What I said about the ones I named is that they're not going anywhere. Sorry that offends you but I thought with age came wisdom?

And finally if you want to question my ability to crunch data then ignorance seems to be your most outstanding quality.

.club.png .life.png .online.png

.club has 363 sales
360 of which were for over 1,000

•••
Given the ages of the new gTLD's, would it be prudent to be selling on those investments already?

I didn't say everyone that I named had established power. What I said about the ones I named is that they're not going anywhere. Sorry that offends you but I thought with age came wisdom?

And finally if you want to question my ability to crunch data then ignorance seems to be your most outstanding quality.

Show attachment 69500 Show attachment 69501 Show attachment 69502

.club has 363 sales
360 of which were for over 1,000

What are you talking about. You said established power, followed by some new gtlds that aren't doing anything. You're not selling either are you? The .club is the one I agree with, something else I posted elsewhere. You just posted their reported sales numbers. Again, like I said, that information isn't hidden. It's out there for everybody to see.

•••
Mr. Carleone, :xf.smile:

Yeah man it is always easy to sell low quality names.

If your domains are high quality and if you are receiving probably low ball offers as you do, I don`t accept those offers. That makes the difference.

Anyways as I mentioned on my first post in this thread I don`t want any bashers to come and make a post since they got no any valid answers that I am looking for on my question on the poll.

Still appreciate to hear from you, good luck with the rest of your %88 percent of your portfolio. Hoping you haven`t sold out the best you got.

Last edited:
•••
What are you talking about. You said established power, followed by some new gtlds that aren't doing anything. You're not selling either are you? The .club is the one I agree with, something else I posted elsewhere. You just posted their reported sales numbers. Again, like I said, that information isn't hidden. It's out there for everybody to see.

I'm not going to take the time and school you on english. Or on how markets work. And you're 100% right I am not selling, I am developing.

If you buy a plot of dirt and don't develop the land then that's all you have. Which is fine. As for me, I develop, build traffic, and turn dust bowls into castles. Your landing pages are cute though.

I have listed a few of my new gTLD's, say hello to my little friends

•••
Yeah man it is always easy to sell low quality names.

If your domains are high quality and if you are receiving probably low ball offers as you do, I don`t accept those offers. That makes the difference.

Anyways as I mentioned on my first post in this thread I don`t want any bashers to come and make a post since they got no any valid answers that I am looking for on my question on the poll.

Still appreciate to here from you, good luck with the rest of your %88 percent of your portfolio. Hoping yu haven`t sold out the best you got.

Your poll is kinda of useless, since new investors can be any age. While you can find old and new people in the business investing in them, it will lean more new. 2 in this thread.

My sales vary, xx - x,xxx but all profit. Right now you're in the hole. Buying but not selling. Waiting for? The price to drop even further?

Even somebody who is selling, is selling for less on average, already:

"The average price per domain is only about 200-250 dollars. It used to be above $500 per domain for me"

https://www.namepros.com/threads/my...ns-will-continue-invest-in-new-gtlds.1040790/

•••
I'm not going to take the time and school you on english. Or on how markets work. And you're 100% right I am not selling, I am developing.

If you buy a plot of dirt and don't develop the land then that's all you have. Which is fine. As for me, I develop, build traffic, and turn dust bowls into castles. Your landing pages are cute though.

God, I love that quote from Scarface :xf.smile:

SayHelloToMyLittle.Friend

Lol

•••

School me on how markets work, when you're not selling anything. Brilliant. Then link to this thread - https://www.namepros.com/threads/20-domains-all-state-code-phx-az.1042283/

Those are horrible. In the other thread you talk about which new gtlds look better, you're posting up .us and .mobis. I don't think you even know what new gtlds are?

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back