Dynadot

.NET prices increasing Feb 1st

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Arpit131

Top Member
Impact
VeriSign, the registry responsible for .net, is raising its annual costs for .net domain registrations, renewals and transfers.”

On February 1, 2016, the wholesale price of .net domain names will be increasing by $.67/year.

This likely means that domain registrars will be passing along the increase to their customers. Depending on the registrar and the registrar’s current pricing schedule, the price that customers pay may increase as well. I would imagine that different domain registrars have different ways to account for the price change.

Source

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I mentioned this last week on some LLLL.org's that I wanted to reg and the price for a Canadian user went up almost 40%(This is with GoDaddy). So I called their support line and I was told that Verisign increased all .com, .net and org.

•••
I don't understand why Verisign needs 0.67$ per .net increase. They manage combined around 140 million .com and .net names and they get around $1.3 billion from that annually. How the heck is it justified and why does ICANN approve those increases?

•••
It's just a bunch of BS on their part, trying to get a little bit more with all these Chinese buyers bringing new life back into domaining.

•••
Just received the e-mail from Uniregistry about .net price increase. They will have it at $13.88
Verisign is increasing the price by 9%... maximum allowed by ICANN is 10%

•••
I need to get rid of the few .nets I've got. I might keep FU2.net so that I can winge about it. :)

•••
I need to get rid of the few .nets I've got. I might keep FU2.net so that I can winge about it. :)

Nice domain, don't drop it :)

•••
Why could be the possible reason behind increasing the price for .net extensions. I don't think they require some extra cost for holding or for maintainance

•••
good... will incite people to make less renewals and drop more names that are going nowhere anyway.. for an already barely alive extension.. minus the obvious 2L 3L.net liquids and nice one worders.

good call there on increase! cheers.

•••
This is why ICANN needs to maintain the .COM prize freeze that is currently in effect. If it is ever let to expire, you can be sure verisign is going to increase .COM prices every single time they get a chance, just like they have been doing with .NET.

Hopefully the .com registry will no longer be controlled by verisign post-2024.

•••
I mentioned this last week on some LLLL.org's that I wanted to reg and the price for a Canadian user went up almost 40%(This is with GoDaddy). So I called their support line and I was told that Verisign increased all .com, .net and org.

That's a lie. Verisign has the contracts for .NET and .COM. PIR has .ORG.

Hopefully the .com registry will no longer be controlled by verisign post-2024.

Doubtful. :guilty:

Why could be the possible reason behind increasing the price for .net extensions. I don't think they require some extra cost for holding or for maintainance

Registry wants more money. :)

Last edited:
•••
Trump needs to reclaim ICANN for America and the world.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back