IT.COM

NameCheap

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

RJ

Domain BuyerTop Member
Impact
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Better service than Namecheap with cheaper options?

I have been with Namecheap for a few years and used to really like them, but over the past year their interface has had numerous slow or inoperative days.

I think thay must have new management or something like a policy change is going on behind the scenes. Maybe things are starting to slip and they are just too big now so finding it difficult to stay on top of everything.

Also their prices have gone up too so I'm looking for a good registrar, at least under 8.99, so if anyone can recommend a reliable one I wil be very tempted to move my large number of domains. :(

•••
-edit-

Last edited:
•••
Basically ok but ....

Basically ok but support questionable at times. A couple of their staff are "always right" and have to have the last word. Their forums seem to be full of people who are very happy or very unhappy!

Beware of their Marketplace, I bought some truly dodgy domains from there that seem to have been dumped by a major spamming operation.

On the whole Namecheap are fine but their interface is a little buggy at times.

Last edited:
•••
Mixed review

I have a mixed review for NameCheap, mainly because of the customer service. I can completely understand that they, amongst MANY other sites, have tons and tons of people contacting them every day. In fact I can appreciate that. The thing that always gets my goat, is that either they say they didnt GET my contact form or email, they take 20 days to answer back, or they reply back but just arent very helpful at all. On the other hand if you are looking for good prices, a VERY easy user interface, and lots of cool features, then NameCheap is the place to go. Ive been a member since 04 and the customer service complaint, is the ONLY complaint I have.

•••
My favorite registrar

I love namecheap. They are so fast at processing their orders.

•••
Quality: Get what you pay for

As I am not a very big domainer, I do just about all of my registrations through NameCheap. Over the past few years that I have used them, I have been impressed. Given, the fee is a little higher than some other registrars, but you get what you pay for. NameCheap has consistently included a free Whois Guard subscription for 1 year with every new domain registration, and is currently offering a free SSL security certificate for new registrations.
Customer service is nice - easy to use live chat interface. I don't use their hosting, but NameCheap just recently (about a year ago) added web hosting to their services. I've been impressed and will continue to use them.

•••
After about 3-4 years of using NameCheap I'm still extremely happy with them. As mentioned above, prices may be higher but for the service and peace of mind I think its worth it.

NameCheap for me rank up there as the top 3 registrars - other two being DynaDot and Moniker.

10/10 ;)

•••
Good registrar overall

Namecheap.com offers competitive prices and quickly processes orders. Recently I tried pushing .info domains out of namecheap and was very puzzled since I was not allowed to unlock the domains first. Finally I pushed the domains as they were (locked) and it worked. Unfortunately their bulk search does not seem to function properly, and the SSL status is not consistent. From what I've read on the namecheap forums, the staff is working to fix SSL issues. Despite a couple of technical problems, Namecheap.com has been a good registrar.

•••
Excellent!

At first, remembering of bad experiences with RegisterFly, I felt reluctant to register more than a few, non-premium domains with NameCheap. It seemed too good to be true. But I was finally convinced, and now maybe half of my domain names are with them.
The prices are very reasonable, the interace is excellent and fast - much faster than the interface of most other registrars. It is easy to use. I can only recommend them, never any problem, except when I needed to push names to other accounts - this sometimes had to be done manually.
Since they have received ICANN accreditation last year, I hope that they will soon make full use of it and stop to be resellers of eNom - but the fact that they didn't hurry probably speaks for them.

•••
Big Brother is watching

I don't know what it's like to be a NameCheap customer because they never gave me a chance to really become one. An hour or two after I registered a domain name with them I got a message saying: "Order <my order number> has been canceled. The credit card transaction involved with this order has been canceled." Those guys surely know how to welcome a new customer. When I emailed them asking what the heck was going on, I got the following reply:

"Unfortunately, your account did not pass our fraud verification process. We will need further information in order to activate your account.

Please provide us with a copy of your photo ID (passport) as an attachment in .pdf format or fax it to 661-310-2107 number or supply us with a valid phone number and the best time to call you (within normal business hours, US Pacific time) so we will be able to discuss this.

There is no need to be alert, as we always ask this kind of information in order to activate accounts that have not passed our fraud verification process. This is done in order to protect our current customers and any future customer, like you, from malicious users.

We're looking forward to your reply."

Can you believe this? When I want this kind of sh*t I'll move to North Korea. I sent them the following reply:

"Are you KIDDING? A photo ID? What is this, the Soviet Union? Building the police state one domain name at a time? Even from a purely pragmatic standpoint, what's to prevent me from sending you some phony foreign ID that you'll never be able to verify? And anyway, how does your having or not having my photo ID make other users any more or less secure? (Secure from what, anyway?) In the same way, I guess, that strip searching old ladies at airports makes us all safe from terrorists.

Good luck searching for "malicious users" and other enemies of the state. Check that file cabinet behind you, there might be one hiding inside. If you don't need my business, please cancel my account and don't forget to refund my purchase back to my credit card."

To which they replied:

"We are really sorry to lose you as a client though the account can't be unlocked without verification. Since you refuse to cooperate with us, the account will stay locked and money has already been refunded to your credit card."

Such has been my abortive experience with NameCheap.com. You may draw your own conclusions.

•••
Other registrars will do the same screening as well. Hard to blame Namecheap.

•••
sdsinc said:
Other registrars will do the same screening as well. Hard to blame Namecheap.
I fully agree with you. I understand that it can be inconvenient, but at least it shows that they are serious about making the environment a safe one. I ma myself very happy with Namecheap, and I have been using them for some two years now.

•••
I've moved a large number of domains to NameCheap, using 5.99$ promotion. But I think that their renewal prices are too high in comparison with GoDaddy, Dynadot.

•••
Review

Great services with great support.
Can not ask for more... :)
Keep up the good work Namecheap.... :)

•••
Simple and Best

They are best because of there simplictiy

•••
i just want to buy domain from namepros server naver any other still i love namepeors

•••
As I am not a very big domainer, I do just about all of my registrations through NameCheap. Over the past few years that I have used them, I have been impressed. Given, the fee is a little higher than some other registrars, but you get what you pay for. NameCheap has consistently included a free Whois Guard subscription for 1 year with every new domain registration, and is currently offering a free SSL security certificate for new registrations.
Customer service is nice - easy to use live chat interface. I don't use their hosting, but NameCheap just recently (about a year ago) added web hosting to their services. I've been impressed and will continue to use them.

yes this is one plus point for namecheap, we got free whoisguard for every new domain we bought from them.

Namecheap.com offers competitive prices and quickly processes orders. Recently I tried pushing .info domains out of namecheap and was very puzzled since I was not allowed to unlock the domains first. Finally I pushed the domains as they were (locked) and it worked. Unfortunately their bulk search does not seem to function properly, and the SSL status is not consistent. From what I've read on the namecheap forums, the staff is working to fix SSL issues. Despite a couple of technical problems, Namecheap.com has been a good registrar.

i also experienced the same thing, unlock the domain and resubmit the transfer.

one plus point from me is namecheap giving free listing service for selling my domain names.

while the negative point is their dns setting is very lame, it tooks 24 hours before it get active.

•••
I have always used, Namecheap.

I also use Godaddy because of the coupons :P

But for quality of service, it's gotta be NameCheap.

Sean

•••
Namecheap.com Make me LOSE 2 best DOMAINS

Dear all
05/17/2009 I made order 2 domains on namechaep.com
After I made order 2 domains, 1stclickandbuy.com and 1stclickandbuy.net on your system I made Whois and domain unavailable for register (Of course) But today when I login to my account I still see 2 domains above listing on my account but I can't do anything with 2 domains.

1stclickandbuy.com and 1stclickandbuy.net I register and I will transfer to my client with total price is $9500.

I tried to contact to namechaep.com at Support, but they ONLY refund money to my account at namechaep.com and do nothing.
This is email from them

Dear Pham,

To my great regret I must inform you that there was an error in our system so your order was not successful and the domain names in question failed to be registered with us, $17.62 were refunded to your Namecheap account. Today when we were going to proceed with the registrations of the domain names we were unhappy to find out that today those domain names were registered with another registrar, DIRECTI INTERNET SOLUTIONS PVT. LTD. D/B/A PUBLICDOMAINREGISTRY.COM so currently they are under their control. Please accept our apologies for this incident however, unfortunately, we can not do anything to fix this problem.

1stclickandbuy.com and 1stclickandbuy.net was register by another people.

I think namechaep.com see good domain so they tried to get its and make me down.

•••
1stclickandbuy.com and 1stclickandbuy.net I register and I will transfer to my client with total price is $9500.

But you have the domain listed for sale at another forum
with the same user name??

Last edited:
•••
Dear all
05/17/2009 I made order 2 domains on namechaep.com
After I made order 2 domains, 1stclickandbuy.com and 1stclickandbuy.net on your system I made Whois and domain unavailable for register (Of course) But today when I login to my account I still see 2 domains above listing on my account but I can't do anything with 2 domains.

I tried to contact to namechaep.com at Support, but they ONLY refund money to my account at namechaep.com and do nothing.
This is email from them

Dear Pham,

To my great regret I must inform you that there was an error in our system so your order was not successful and the domain names in question failed to be registered with us, $17.62 were refunded to your Namecheap account. Today when we were going to proceed with the registrations of the domain names we were unhappy to find out that today those domain names were registered with another registrar, DIRECTI INTERNET SOLUTIONS PVT. LTD. D/B/A PUBLICDOMAINREGISTRY.COM so currently they are under their control. Please accept our apologies for this incident however, unfortunately, we can not do anything to fix this problem.

1stclickandbuy.com and 1stclickandbuy.net was register by another people.

I think namechaep.com see good domain so they tried to get its and make me down.
You can see the attached file

Please tell me How to submit to FBI and lawsuits Namecheap.com?

It seems you are trying to profit from a mistake in the registration system, probably you realized there may be a time since you place the order and the registration is executed, and then you went to a resellerclub reseller and registered both names.

Now you are claiming you have a customer willing to pay 9500$ for those BAD (4 words!) domains, only 2 days after registration. You are trying to convince us that someone else went to register those domains same day you had the idea, i would believe it if the domain was pizza.com, i can't believe 1stclickandbuy.com/net is a premium name.

For this reason webhosts use to have in our terms a clause telling that, all orders are subject to review and can be cancelled without explanation, for example, to protect us from credit card fraud. As you are from Vietnam, they can choose to review your order before executing it.

That domain availability information doesn't guarantee the domain can be registered, if for any reason the domain can't be registered, the company will only refund the paid amount, no more liability than that.

And now you are going every domaining forum copying and pasting the same crap against namechep in order to get 9500$ from namecheap.

•••
First off, this was not a technical glitch. The domains were deleted for credit card fraud.

Usaons,

You were informed in your original email by our fraud department the following:

Hello,

Marketplace sales of the domain names 1stclickandbuy.com and 1stclickandbuy.net have been denied and the funds have been refunded to your Namecheap account as the Seller did not pass our fraud verification process and was locked. In such cases we cancel all the orders of the locked users so the domain names in question have been deleted and now they are again available for registration, so if you need those domain names you can just register them.
--------------------
Regards,
Tatyana B
Fraud Prevention Manager
NameCheap.com

So basically you and your buddies got together and registered some domains and then tried to sell them to another account via our marketplace to cover your tracks. Unfortunately for you, we watch every transaction.

I think you and your buddies well have to go back to the drawing board and think up another extortion scam.

To the mods here, is there anything that can be done to remove this scammer and his false allegations? Thanks.

•••
I've been using namecheap for a couple years now. Started off at Godaddy like a lot of domainers I'm sure, but I've moved most of my domains that were at godaddy over to namecheap.

Nice clean user interface, quick checkout, great customer support.

•••
I do not recommend using Namecheap

I do not recommed using namecheap.

1. They have questionable billing practices. They charged me twice for the same domain transfer. And when I asked for a refund, they asked for a 14% fee.

2. Their technical support is pretty inadequate. On a DNS management query, they removed nameservers without notification causing significant damage to my website traffic. When asked to speak to website owner, they said he is travelling. I have not heard from namecheap since then.
I filed a complaint with BBB, They have not responded to them as well.

3. Their cost is comparable to other service providers.

Bottomline, given their questionable billing practices, inadequate customer support, I think they are poor value for money.

•••
Namecheap is nice and all, but I now realized that Namecheap is only economical during the first time registration -- you get free Whois Privacy, a discount reg (with coupon), and free SSL.

It now becomes MORE EXPENSIVE during RENEWAL period. Domain renewals now cost $9.69 (no renewal coupons available) when other registrars offer a dollar less on renewals and no need for coupons to hunt down. Namecheap renewals also require you to buy your Whois Privacy subscription at $2.88 a pop, when other registrars offer Whois Protection renewals for free.

So again, Namecheap is nice for first time domain regs. But the pricing competition is now becoming attractive out there. Functionality-wise, Namecheap is ok. Pricing-wise, may need to become more competitive to keep clients from transferring elsewhere where it is "ironically" cheaper.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back