IT.COM

NameCheap

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

RJ

Domain BuyerTop Member
Impact
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Review

Namecheap is excellent except for a few points:

There is no option to request refund of unutilised money. [I guess its an Enom policy they are following]

You cannot push domains to/from Enom accounts.

•••
Account locked after creation

NameCheap locked my account just a few hours after I registered and bought a domain from them.

Exactly the same problem for me. I registered some domains, and the second day my account is locked. This is weird, since I paid for it with CreditCard, and I have mailed them from my registration-email-account. So far, no reply yet. Except that they ask for my phonenumber, which I have mentioned in both the registration-process and mentioned in the email.
I hope they will solve this soon, and unlock the account, so that I get what I paid for.
Roel

•••
Namecheap problem solved: Account no longer locked

Problem solved. They locked the account, because I claimed the domains from two different IP-addresses. They phoned me, and unlocked the account. Thanks! :)

•••
Great service, great price, great control panel...

NameCheap offers a fantastic domain registration service. Price is great, considering whoisguard is included. Customer service is alright, but slightly slow to reply at certain times of the day.

•••
Namecheap not as good as they used to be

They were OK but lately I've had issues getting epp codes from them. The message says wait 48 hours and they will email but they dont so I have to ask again. The interface irritates me too. Why do you have to type in your password when you are already in your account to get an epp code that you have to wait for? The prices arent great either. I just dont see them as being a good value anymore

•••
•••
Namecheap is the best registrar out there.

A few days ago they have opened their forum section. I was one of the first people to post.

On their marketplace you can list domains for sale for a maximum 30 days. I wanted this limit to be higher. This friday I posted a suggestion on their forum and two days later, today, on a sunday the limit is now 90 days!

Let me tell you what this means:
Create a small portfolio website and put a list of all your domains for sale under 250 usd. Link each domain to its namecheap listing page.

Advantages:
>Buyers can pay by credit card directly to namecheap
>You don't need to communicate to buyer
>Buyer doesn't to communicate with you
>You don't push the domain
>Buyer doesn't wait for the domain to be pushed
>You can sell domains while you are asleep. The domain is just gone from your account when it is bought.
>Everything is instant. Buyer receives the domain in his account the same moment when he finishes checkout. There is no faster domain transaction possible than this.

Create a new namecheap account and buy a single domain. Never put any extra money to this account. As you sell that domain and buy new domains just watch your namecheap balance to grow and grow over time. It is also very good for finance control.
You can also buy hosting at namecheap with the money that you have earned from domain sales. Or simply withdraw the money to paypal.

Last edited:
•••
NameCheap web host service

Registering the new domain names with NameCheap was easy, but using the web hosting service is harder -- especially for a newbie to this process like me. I registered for both a new domain name & web hosting from NameCheap at the same time. Immediately thereafter I received a receipt & welcome email which indicated that it would take up to 6 hours for my web hosting account to be set up. They did send a second welcome email for hte web hosting account during that timeframe, but I had problems receiving the message. All of the email sent from their web hosting site is filtered into my spam box (on a gmail account), and since I have that account forwarded to eudora I couldn't see the filtered messages in my junk box there. I never suspected that the messages were being filtered, since the original messages from NameCheap regarding the payment, domain names, and others all came through just fine immediately after I paid for the services. Anyway, the support people helped me to figure this out and I finally received my "welcome email" for the host service. However, the links to the control panel site specified there didn't work, and it took another round of email suport to figure out that I needed to set up the name servers for the new domain myself. Their "web hosting guide" does not document any of this process. The support people told me via email how to do it, and after I did this a message indicated that it will take another <24 hours for these settings to take.
1) Login to namecheap.com
2) Go to manage domains
3) Select this domain name to manage
4) In the menu on the left hand side of the page, click the transfer DNS option (third from the top)
5) Set this to the nameservers mentioned in your welcome email.

Anyway, it seems that I was naieve to expect that it would be possible to purchase the domain/host combo and get a page uploaded on the same day, and suggest that NameCheap should make the true timing of this process more apparent on their web site. Their PDF "basic instruction manual" providing instructions about how to use the web hosting tools really needs to be improved; it falls short of having enough info for a newcomer to make things work smoothly. I remain optimistic that I will be able to get my pages uploaded soon, once the domain name changes are in effect. Thus far I have been very happy with the responses & help from the support team, once I was able to communicate with them (remember, the support messages that come from the hosting service are also filtered into spam, though support messges from the domain service are not!) One key benefit of NameCheap's web hosting service is their competitive pricing. However, I do think that if I had this to do all over again I would choose a hosting service that accepts phone calls; the hosting support for Name Cheap accepts email only (and my registration for that was also spam-filtered). With high hopes that their service will work for me, I can recommend NameCheap's web hosting service to others, and hope that others can learn from my frustrating experience.

Last edited:
•••
Customer Service is BAD

I have sold a domain under namecheap but got scammed. It took them 10 days to reply to my mail and 5 days for my second mail. The problam still isnt solved. I have been a user of namecheap for more then 3 years and they dont give a **** about there clients

EDIT

A few days later things did get solved. It took sometime which was not needed but things are solved.

I will continue using namecheap in the future

Last edited:
•••
No Customer Service To Speak Of

As a brand new customer, I tried to transfer several domains to NameCheap. Only one transfer was successful; for unknown reasons, the others didn't transfer. They sent me an email saying the others failed and that my credit card would be refunded "within minutes." I replied asking them why the transfer didn't happen. That was close to two months ago. They never replied to my email and my credit card was never refunded (for the portion I paid for the untransferred domains). I will be initiating a complaint with the BBB. One thing I will look at in the future when assessing potential registrars (and all companies for that matter) is whether they have a contact phone number. This company not only doesn't reply to my emails, but they have no customer service phone number (or even live chat) that I can find. In short, there is no way to get a hold of anybody. I have seen other people with this same issue with namecheap -- as I have been looking now over the past hour or so -- and in some cases the namecheap representatives reply to a customer request only when they post a complaint on a site. If that's what one needs to do to get customer service, count me out. Use this registrar at your own risk. (Or pray that everything goes smoothly with your transaction.)

•••
You should probably edit this review section, it is no longer a reseller, but ICANN Accredited.

•••
Vizon said:
You should probably edit this review section, it is no longer a reseller, but ICANN Accredited.

Technically their both.

•••
What I don't like about namecheap is that there is no discount for renewing multiple years at once. For example: Why is the cost for renewing lets say 5 years at once the same as renewing it 1 year at a time over a span of 5 years? There should be some discount because if you are into SEO, you will know the value of renewing a domain for 10 years as opposed to just 1 year.

•••
Review

Namecheap's prices certainly have gone up on average over the past 2 years or so. I stopped using them because of 2 of the reasons I've seen mentioned in other reviews, but they bear repeating as each reason could cost you signifigant time and $ trying to fix:
1) It is near impossible to transfer a domain in or out of NameCheap without spending countless hours on the phone with one of their "What's a domain name?" customer service reps.
2) Impossible to remove money once deposited. Interestingly, the balance seems to grow and shrink randomly, and without reason. I had pennies left, which became several dozen dollars, and then back to just a few dollars. This happened a few times. I think maybe they are laundering money somehow, but that's probably for the "conspiracy theory" thread, not this one. It's weird though.
2.5) Prices have gone up, and it is much more difficult to find coupon/promo codes these days.

I've abandoned my NameCheap account long ago, but they did used to have some great deals at one time.

•••
Fine by me!

I am completely new to web hosting, so I don't have anything to judge Namecheap against, but after a good deal of shopping around (and reading reviews), their prices are reasonable enough, and in this newbie's experience so far, their customer service has been very responsive.

Getting started was the hardest part, as I am based in the U.S. but trying to set thing up from overseas, unfortunately in a country pegged as a credit fraud risk. So, as soon as I thought I was signed up, their system had logged my IP address and canceled everything. However, I used their live chat to figure out what I needed to do, which was to open a customer service ticket, and I had a response and resolution within half a day, and was back up and running.

I've needed customer service a few more times since then, all due to my lack of knowledge. I changed hosting packages, needed help setting my nameservers, and had a big problem with my e-mail, and customer service always responded to the initial ticket within a few hours, and within much less time (usually minutes) when there was back and forth on the ticket.

If I would improve anything with the customer service, there should be a contact phone number if you really need it, or at least the live chat system could be improved to handle all problems. Currently, the live chat is kind of the front line customer service, while technical and billing issues are handled through the ticket system.

If I would improve anything else, I think the control panel could be a lot more user friendly. The system they use (cpanel) is fine for sophisticated web techs -- and I will figure it out, sooner or later -- but it is very intimidating. I would like to see something like a "wizard" for web dummies.

Anyway, so far, so good, and despite a few recent negative reviews about their customer service, they're fine by me!

•••
up till now i have not had any problems

however tonight i transfered money from my paypal to my account and it was never credited i created a ticket we shall see how long it takes to get resolved

•••
apower said:
up till now i have not had any problems

however tonight i transfered money from my paypal to my account and it was never credited i created a ticket we shall see how long it takes to get resolved
The deleted and credited me a misreg in about 15 minutes.

•••
•••
just wanted to leave update they did make it right with me the next day

•••
I bought a domain on 2/05 on the market on namecheap. I put it back on the marketplace the same day. Yesterday I went on namecheap to see if I had any offers, and i notice that I am missing a domain and it happens to be the one I just bought. Guessing this was just a small problem and that namecheap could clear it up for me I sent them a ticket on their support site. The guy responded in 4 minutes, which is pretty fast for them, and tried to tell me that I sold it on the 5th. I replied back showing that telling him that I had no additional money in my account, and I showed him a picture of how I could still see the the domain for sale under my username in the marketplace. Somehow the domain is still for sale by me but its not in my account. After no response for about 8 hours I went to sleep. I get up this morning and go online to check the 4letternoob price guide :) and the status on my ticket. Turns out my ticket got deleted too. Seems like namecheap has a little problem with things dissapearing with my account.

•••
Allways been great! But gone really slow...

Namecheap is still my fave registrar, by far! the prices are very good, the interface is extremely easy to use with many features. The customer service have been great whenever I've needed them (which hasn't been too often).

The only thing I have to moan about is that recently the site has gone really slow. I think for the past month or so doing domain searches has become extremely slow. Not sure why this is, maybe its related to NC becoming accredited (no longer a reseller) - I have no idea, but I hope they fix this very soon.

Other than that, I'm still a very happy customer.

•••
Review

I loved NameCheap for the longest time until they completely and utterly SCREWED me. 2 things on the same day.

First, I sold an established site, which went for just under $10k so it was very important to me the transition was smooth. Everything was smooth at first, got the EPP sent it over etc. etc. Just one more step, which was for me to approve the transfer on my namecheap site.

Of course, theres not even an option in the control panel. It's supposed to be automated via email but I never got the email.

Long story short it took over a week to transfer a domain from namecheap to godaddy because their "Support" couldn't care less!!

- Most unprofessional staff I've EVER dealt with and I've dealt with some pretty lousy hosts and registrars!

THEN, Completely different situation on the same day.

Changed the nameservers for a different domain. had it all set up and ready to go on the other side. Nameservers finished propagating about 24 hours later (normal) and the site was up on the new server for about 2 days.

Then all of the sudden NameCheap switches the nameservers back to the old host, which luckily I still had all the files and the database up on that server.

So now I have variying data on both sites and customers who are PISSED and rightly so because their commissions etc. are lacking.

Complete and total TRASH for a registrar!!!!!!!!!

•••
•••
Good stuff

Easy, quick and rarely any issues for me. Good response for support.

•••
Can't refund mistypes

Can't refund mistypes. I register through them all the time, mistyped one name by accident and then realized I could'nt refund it so went over to dynadot and registered the rest there. I like namecheap because they offer the free privacy option for your domains, but they should offer a refund offer for domains in a grace period like dynadot does because the people who reg the most domains a day are the ones who are more likely to be needing refunds.

edit: I wish I could take my ratings back. NameCheap has always been good and I was too hasty to leave a negative rating when I realized I couldnt refund names. I thought about it and I understand why they do this (Probably to avoid domain tasting). All in all, NameCheap is a great place to buy domains and I have found the interface to be extremely easy to use.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back