Dynadot

Namecheap locked my account until 2099 for someone repeatedly trying to Login??? WTH

NameSilo
Watch
Status
Not open for further replies.

UD

Account Closed
Impact
Unable to login
For security reasons, this account has been locked due to too many failed login tries. The user name will be enabled after 12/12/2099 EST. If you think this is an error please email us using the same email address currently on your account to have your account enabled.

This is NOT cool.. I have a domain in there with a 50k offer on it... I also have a domain to push in there that was won in the auction to HBK

Over 20 names in total!!

They also refunded paypal out of my account and my balance at Namecheap is -46.99 ?

What is wrong with your system.. and When is my account fixed?..

No telephone persons available on weekends?

Cmon guys I've praised you over and over and over again.. only to get this?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
UD said:
LMAO.. I can't see how we've "defrauded" them.. We've purchased oh.. hundreds and hundreds of dollars worth of domain reg.. and they refund paypal 46.99 because paypal reversed a payment and they lock our account with no email or anything..

That's a bit shady..

But regardless.. unlock my account! I'll happily cover the 46.99 on the paypal chargeback if thats what it is .. If it is it's because someone paid us with a stolen CC.
Although I still don't recall funding our namecheap account at that time.

UD,

We did in fact receive a paypal chargeback/hold from your account and that is why it was locked.

Usually we would take your purchase history into account but there was not enough there to go on as most of your domains were purchased within the last 30 days so we had to make a choice and lock the account.

Also, regarding our support, your original email was received today at 12pm PST and was responded to not long after by our regular support team informing you that it was locked for fraud. Unfortunately, our fraud department is only available m-f during normal business hours.

I would suggest you contact paypal as soon as possible and have them reverse your payment to us that they cancelled.

•••
Can you unlock my account so I can pay via credit card?

I've been dealing with paypal over this for days now because someone paid us with a stolen cc.. and theyve locked OUR account and reversed all payments we send out.. 100.00 stolen cc in.. and over 600.00 legitimate money sent out.. (all locked up) (They have ALOT of our money now tied up) while they investigate the supposed buyer.. All because we hadn't confirmed our paypal account yet. (Was in the process)
'

It's to the point where we are removing paypal completely as a payment option on www.urbandata.com and coding in escrow.com

Here is a thread that confirms the issue.

http://www.namepros.com/217488-godaddy-condones-allows-theft-warning-np-2.html

Frankly I don't imagine I'll ever be using paypal again after all of this.. I'll just pay via CC if that's ok..

•••
We will go ahead and unlock the account for now.

Please take care of the funds owed as soon as possible.

•••
Thank you so much.. I'll reg my domains at namecheap as always.. and thank you for the prompt responce!

It will be Monday am if ok when I get to town to add to my cc.

I'll cover it np :)

and B33R thanks for mentioning he was a super nice fellow :)

Awesome.. It works.. and nothing but praise for the quick response.. Thanks again..

PS do you have any other promo codes for cctld reg? :)

•••
Congratulations on them getting your account unlocked.

•••
Not to mention NC's sticking its neck out for a sensitive issue like this. :)

Guys, it's nice if a registrar has 24/7 phone support, much more a fraud team
that's on 24/7. But do realize it costs time and money to put up such, more so
if a registrar charges quite "cheap".

It's how they leverage things. But it ain't easy.

•••
How about the fact I went to Fund my account today (As Agreed) only to discover you just deleted my xx,xxx name .. I had a Solid Sale!

Hrrmmm xx,xxx over 46.99 that I was going to fund this morning.. and after paying you ALOT for all the other Reg's

Nice treatment.

Whois Record

Domain Name: [removed].US
Domain ID: D10515923-US
Sponsoring Registrar: ENOM, INC.
Domain Status: pendingDelete
Registrant ID: E0EFAB0D09B868BA
Registrant Name: Chelsie Murphy
Registrant Organization: Urban Data LTD
Registrant Address1: P.O. Box 515 Station Main
Registrant City: Dawson Creek
Registrant State/Province: BC
Registrant Postal Code: V1G4H4
Registrant Country: Canada
Registrant Country Code: CA
Registrant Phone Number: +1.7788280183
Registrant Email:
Registrant Application Purpose: P1
Registrant Nexus Category: C11
Administrative Contact ID: E0EFAB0D09B868BA
Administrative Contact Name: Chelsie Murphy
Administrative Contact Organization: Urban Data LTD
Administrative Contact Address1: P.O. Box 515 Station Main
Administrative Contact City: Dawson Creek
Administrative Contact State/Province: BC
Administrative Contact Postal Code: V1G4H4
Administrative Contact Country: Canada
Administrative Contact Country Code: CA
Administrative Contact Phone Number: +1.7788280183

backorder now on the .us but if I lose this name I'll be beyond upset. Bare minimum I was going to do with this name was create a poker site if the pending sale fell through...

amnsion.com 07/08/2007 No 07/08/2007

blckwomen.com 07/17/2007 Yes N/A Transferred Out. Removed from Account.

canafatrust.com 07/07/2007 No 07/07/2007

flablab.net 06/15/2007 No 06/15/2007

getcrunked.org 06/15/2007 No 6/16/2007 Date Updated for Domain

hpchips.com 07/17/2007 Yes N/A Transferred Out. Removed from Account.

levispresley.com 07/03/2007 No 07/03/2007

mmvj.com 06/15/2007 No 06/15/2007

myhumps.net 02/16/2007 No 02/16/2007

[removed].us 07/16/2007 Yes N/A Transferred Out. Removed from Account.

spongebobqurepants.com 07/03/2007 No 07/03/2007

thefts.us 11/26/2006 No 11/25/2006 Date Updated for Domain

tramadal.org 06/23/2007 No 06/23/2007

xanadatrust.com 07/07/2007 No 07/07/2007

zigbee.in 07/17/2007 No 7/18/2007 Date Updated for Domain

And you still expect me to pay 46.99???

I think it's rediculous you'd ask me to pay for domains you deleted a week ago.

No emails either.. And again no one in the office today (Monday)
Please credit my account accordingly to 0.00 balance and leave my names in there be.

Last edited:
•••
UD said:
How about the fact I went to Fund my account today (As Agreed) only to discover you just deleted my xx,xxx name .. I had a Solid Sale!

Hrrmmm xx,xxx over 46.99 that I was going to fund this morning.. and after paying you ALOT for all the other Reg's

Nice treatment.

Whois Record

Domain Name: [removed].US
Domain ID: D10515923-US
Sponsoring Registrar: ENOM, INC.
Domain Status: pendingDelete
Registrant ID: E0EFAB0D09B868BA
Registrant Name: Chelsie Murphy
Registrant Organization: Urban Data LTD
Registrant Address1: P.O. Box 515 Station Main
Registrant City: Dawson Creek
Registrant State/Province: BC
Registrant Postal Code: V1G4H4
Registrant Country: Canada
Registrant Country Code: CA
Registrant Phone Number: +1.7788280183
Registrant Email:
Registrant Application Purpose: P1
Registrant Nexus Category: C11
Administrative Contact ID: E0EFAB0D09B868BA
Administrative Contact Name: Chelsie Murphy
Administrative Contact Organization: Urban Data LTD
Administrative Contact Address1: P.O. Box 515 Station Main
Administrative Contact City: Dawson Creek
Administrative Contact State/Province: BC
Administrative Contact Postal Code: V1G4H4
Administrative Contact Country: Canada
Administrative Contact Country Code: CA
Administrative Contact Phone Number: +1.7788280183

backorder now on the .us but if I lose this name I'll be beyond upset. Bare minimum I was going to do with this name was create a poker site if the pending sale fell through...

amnsion.com 07/08/2007 No 07/08/2007

blckwomen.com 07/17/2007 Yes N/A Transferred Out. Removed from Account.

canafatrust.com 07/07/2007 No 07/07/2007

flablab.net 06/15/2007 No 06/15/2007

getcrunked.org 06/15/2007 No 6/16/2007 Date Updated for Domain

hpchips.com 07/17/2007 Yes N/A Transferred Out. Removed from Account.

levispresley.com 07/03/2007 No 07/03/2007

mmvj.com 06/15/2007 No 06/15/2007

myhumps.net 02/16/2007 No 02/16/2007

[removed].us 07/16/2007 Yes N/A Transferred Out. Removed from Account.

spongebobqurepants.com 07/03/2007 No 07/03/2007

thefts.us 11/26/2006 No 11/25/2006 Date Updated for Domain

tramadal.org 06/23/2007 No 06/23/2007

xanadatrust.com 07/07/2007 No 07/07/2007

zigbee.in 07/17/2007 No 7/18/2007 Date Updated for Domain

And you still expect me to pay 46.99???

I think it's rediculous you'd ask me to pay for domains you deleted a week ago.

No emails either.. And again no one in the office today (Monday)
Please credit my account accordingly to 0.00 balance and leave my names in there be.

50k for a domain that was registered new a week ago? It looks like the three domains were deleted when the fraud department locked your account for what is considered non payment.

I wasn't aware of this until now. I will have them adjust your account accordingly.

FYI If they hadn't done this and the account was in fact fraudulent, we would have been stuck paying for the domains on top of the chargeback fee and any other domains that were past the 5 day grace period.

Last edited:
•••
I understand the frustration, but NC must look after itself in security situation like this.

No reason to get all huffy over it, NC will pull through. They always do and they have a great reputation.

I understand that it all came a t a bad time, but it's usually best to keep cool. Life can't always be a smooth ride. Things happen.

Now if this were registerfly, on the other hand, I would tell you to worry your ass off :hehe:

But since it's NC, just chill and do what you need to do to get things back in order. It will happen, most likely.

•••
I never committed fraud period.. paypal on thier own yanked funds because we were paid with a stolen CC and they froze the account while they investigated the payer .. not us the payee, only it affected us ..

And yes 50K

This name was a big one.. and for a reason.

Thanks for clearing the account balance.. I'm still out of a major sale :(

I'm still showing a negative balance of

Available Balance -$20.35
Account Balance -$20.35
Earned Amount $0.00
Withdrawable Amount $0.00
Auto Renew Requires $0.00
Add Funds to your account
Accepted

Up until this I had a positive balance.

Also there was more than 3 domains deleted.

4 at least.. I didnt list the other one but it was close to the one I had sold

not stressing but still negative balance.. and still sad as hell

Last edited:
•••
-- edited --

Last edited:
•••
A .US domain registered by hand a week ago, with a $50,000 pending sale?

This would be the largest .US sale ever, if it happened, as was 'reported'.

(The exact amount of the Business.us sale was not reported, though it's thought to be $50K+)

•••
-db- .. I was in negotiations .. and it was valuable.

I got one of the important ones with a reg elsewhere.. The BIG one is not yet in any account where I can access... *Prays*

Thank's B33R and CVXDES <3

You are truly awesome

•••
I understand your position Richard but I am so disappointed in you right now, the only registrar I've been recommending for the last 6 months has been Namecheap.

UD has lost some very valuable domains. "50k"? I don't know if they're worth that, she was talking to the potential buyer, I wasn't. If she says that much then I believe her.

She also lost some other great domains. I won't go into names but there is 4 domains she's told me about. 2 of those typos and the 2 others excellent domains which I would love to have in my portfolio.
Now at least 2 of them are registered to someone else and one is still waiting to be deleted.

Sure, maybe you should've deleted them, but maybe if you're customer service was on the ball and could hear her side of the story then maybe you could've prevented all these problems.

She got screwed over by that punk with the fake credit card and now she loses some great domains through no fault of her own?

I really don't know what to say right now. I would've expected this from GoDaddy or Registerfly but Namecheap?

I'm still evaluating my position so I will give you a chance to explain further and apologise to UD, before I decide whether to remove my domains from Namecheap and/or stop recommending your services.

I really expected better from you.

•••
I only care about one thing at this point.. hopefully recovering this domain..
I'm beyond stressed out over this.. I never recieved a single email from NC over the payment issue to even alert me, every time I've tried to call I get a "no one is in the office to take your call" and I find out you guys were still trying to bill me for domains you deleted on me over a week ago. I'm still in shock.. Bad enough I was screwed by GD and paypal already this week but I too had been bragging you up everywhere I went because of how fluid the system was.. only to lose a domain I had a huge sale going on. I'm not sure what you're prepared to do to fix this issue.. I'll leave that up to you..

You are fully aware I'm sure of the name and what it mean and who it was.

Is namecheap prepared to do anything if I lose this name?

Last edited:
•••
This is more of an issue with PayPal than NameCheap. I've gotten these same email when people's payments have been reversed, and they are were vague just stating that I was in receipt of unauthorized funds. Then the money gets pulled out of my account, making it look like the person who paid me was some kind of scammer. It's not really fair to anyone how PayPal handles it.

I checked, and the name is in PENDINGDELETE status. Unfortunately there's no way to get it out of that status. Just be sure you're there to grab it the minute it deletes. There's not a lot of competition for .US names so you should be ok on the drop.

Good luck, UD.

RJ

•••
TY RJ.. I know this is paypal's fault more than anyone.. a note that they did it would have been nice before namecheap just fired off a delete though..

I'm praying for the backorder now.. All I can do..

•••
You've got some waiting to do,

12/12/2099 EST.

Now that's just rediculous! :p

•••
This whole week has been..

•••
B33R said:
I understand your position

Then you do understand Namecheap's reason why they deleted the domain
names?

enetwork said:
It looks like the three domains were deleted when the fraud department locked your account for what is considered non payment.

If a registrar sees any hint of potential fraud, they have to refund the amount
used to pay for registering the domain names. In so doing, they can choose to
delete the domain name/s to prevent potential financial losses from paying the
Registry, ICANN, and any chargeback fee/s.

As Ebooklover said, registrars have to protect themselves, first and foremost.
Why should they be any different from people here who sell domain names to
other parties, or any other business for that matter?

Now maybe Namecheap could've placed the domain names in a "hold account"
pending payment and/or review. But if they're going to potentially spend more
money on something that has no guarantees of covering their financial losses,
then why keep the name/s?

And you want them to go the extra mile for something they have no obligation
to do at all, especially if it's going to potentially cost them more money with
no guarantees it's on the up and up? Let's be realistic here.

Now if you expect Namecheap to do what you expect them to do, then you're
seriously expecting too much. But...it's your choice.

•••
I never suggested they keep the names and not delete them.

They should've warned her that Paypal was doing a chargeback/hold on her payment/account. She could've explained the situation and paid with another method.

If they had fraud staff available at the weekend to deal with this, everything could've been sorted out, instead she was getting really worried, unable to contact any of their staff, constantly getting answerphone messages and not having any emails returned on what was an urgent matter.

If they'd sent an email when the chargeback/hold occurred this could've been easily resolved as there was a valid legitimate reason why.

Instead her account was unfrozen days later, with absolutely no mention of the 4 domains which were deleted.
The main domain was actually deleted 6 days after registration and is now still stuck in the deleted period.

She lost 2 names and probably a third (the domain which she was in negotiations to sell), because she wasn't able to explain the situation and resolve the problem on day one.
Not everybody is a scammer and she should've at least had the chance to explain everything and get it sorted. It was in the interests of both parties.

•••
Incidentally I've yet to know of any registrar who has fraud support on the
weekends, especially US-based ones. I imagine Moniker has given their prices,
but not for the "cheap" ones like, say, Go Daddy.

(Some people say Go Daddy has weekend fraud support, yet others tell me no
one answers. Beats me.)

Anytime potential fraud or legal issues occur, it does cost time and money to
investigate. If a registrar has such on the weekends, then don't expect them
to charge $6-$10 a year for .com domain names.

If the registrar has chosen to delete the domain name after refunding the fee,
then there's no point emailing the user on record a payment dispute has been
made.

On the side, I read Namecheap's service agreement and it says this:

In the event of a charge back by a credit card company (or similar action by another payment provider allowed by us) in connection with the payments of the registration fee for your domain name registration, you agree and acknowledge that the domain name registration shall be transferred to Namecheap as the paying entity for that registration to the registry. We will reinstate your domain name registration solely at our discretion, and subject to our receipt of the initial registration or renewal fee and our then-current reinstatement fee, currently set at US$200. For more information, please click here. You will be notified via an email message or via your account information when renewal fees are due. Should these fees go unpaid within the time specified in a second notice or reminder regarding renewal, your registration will be cancelled.

This thread started on 07/22, so I wonder: a) when did Namecheap do what
they did, and b) what's their "time limit". Of course, Richard here doesn't have
to answer a and b, as registrars really don't want people to know what their
security measures are.

At the rate Namecheap keeps getting these specific "headaches", I don't blame
them if they finally decide to drop paypal. *knocks on wood*

•••
I'd pay more money if it meant this never happening again..
I as stated was never even sent an email to inform me of the chargeback..
No one told me anything.. I noted I was 46.99 in the hole.. had my account unfrozen to find the domains were deleted long ago.. and still a 46.99 bill again with no contact whatsoever to tell me what was going on so I could pay even by credit card.

Ever hear the saying customer is right?
I'd have paid in a heartbeat had I known

As for removing PayPal I'm in the very process of removing it completely from the brokerage over this for this very reason and only running escrow.com api.

•••
Dave Zan said:
Incidentally I've yet to know of any registrar who has fraud support on the
weekends, especially US-based ones. I imagine Moniker has given their prices,
but not for the "cheap" ones like, say, Go Daddy.

(Some people say Go Daddy has weekend fraud support, yet others tell me no
one answers. Beats me.)

Anytime potential fraud or legal issues occur, it does cost time and money to
investigate. If a registrar has such on the weekends, then don't expect them
to charge $6-$10 a year for .com domain names.

If the registrar has chosen to delete the domain name after refunding the fee,
then there's no point emailing the user on record a payment dispute has been
made.

On the side, I read Namecheap's service agreement and it says this:

This thread started on 07/22, so I wonder: a) when did Namecheap do what
they did, and b) what's their "time limit". Of course, Richard here doesn't have
to answer a and b, as registrars really don't want people to know what their
security measures are.

At the rate Namecheap keeps getting these specific "headaches", I don't blame
them if they finally decide to drop paypal. *knocks on wood*

The domains were deleted right within the 5 day grace period, in fact at the last possible moment on friday afternoon. If they were beyond that, we would not have deleted them as there would be no point to delete them as the funds were unrecoverable.

While you can say we should have taken another option. We deal with so much fraud and incur heavy losses due to fraud that we need to take immediate action in these situations otherwise we would be out of business.

You need to remember, we were not the ones that caused the paypal chargeback and the action we took was reasonable. We also haven't enforced our chargeback fee that Dave pointed out.

UD said:
I'd pay more money if it meant this never happening again..
I as stated was never even sent an email to inform me of the chargeback..
No one told me anything.. I noted I was 46.99 in the hole.. had my account unfrozen to find the domains were deleted long ago.. and still a 46.99 bill again with no contact whatsoever to tell me what was going on so I could pay even by credit card.

Ever hear the saying customer is right?
I'd have paid in a heartbeat had I known

When domains are not paid for they are not obligated to be registered. This was a non payment issue. The rest of your domains that you did in fact pay for remained untouched.

Seriously, you've gone from making claims that our support team wasn't responding to you in enough time in your earlier posts, which was by the way incorrect, to trying to blame us for something and someone that you chose to do business with and caused these issues for you.

You chose to do business with a fraudulent individual and you chose to do business with paypal not us.

Last edited:
•••
Friday afternoon?..
Do you not clearly state in this thread earlier the account was unlocked so I could add funds alternate means?.. and please pay up asap?..

And I was paying for what? Domains that were deleted Friday which no one even told me about? (Cmon .. not even a single email to alert me ) .. I have NEVER not paid for a domain before.. If you note my trader rating here.. and the fact I own about 600 domains it might tell you something.. I deal with fraud too.. We all do.. but do I not communicate with people and just go ahead and do something like that prior? no.

I think there is a serious flaw in your system if it doesnt send an alert about a pending delete or a chargeback.

Who's fault is this really?..Sure Paypal... but what it's done is pointed out a major flaw in your system at the expence of loss of my assetts..

When I register domains somewhere I would expect my assetts to be protected. and at least notified if there was an issue.. Don't pull the "We are too busy to assist everyone crap"

Why? Because I have Alot of customers too.. and I still find time to handle and communicate regardless.

You don't even have phone support.. Everytime I tried to call it said "Out of the office"

During normal business hours?

ouch

I'm not blaming you for anything .. I do however think you need to address your communication system with your customers. Frankly it stinks and this is a pretty cold attitude to have towards a customer who obviously was going to pay for these domains.

Last edited:
•••
Status
Not open for further replies.
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back