IT.COM

Namecheap locked my account until 2099 for someone repeatedly trying to Login??? WTH

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Status
Not open for further replies.

UD

Account Closed
Impact
Unable to login
For security reasons, this account has been locked due to too many failed login tries. The user name will be enabled after 12/12/2099 EST. If you think this is an error please email us using the same email address currently on your account to have your account enabled.

This is NOT cool.. I have a domain in there with a 50k offer on it... I also have a domain to push in there that was won in the auction to HBK

Over 20 names in total!!

They also refunded paypal out of my account and my balance at Namecheap is -46.99 ?

What is wrong with your system.. and When is my account fixed?..

No telephone persons available on weekends?

Cmon guys I've praised you over and over and over again.. only to get this?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
or it was rather until the user who got the push just informed me you stole them right from his account which you are NOT allowed to do..

Wow... I think my point is proven..

They were in his name and all and you hand picked them right from his account which means you now stole another user's domains.

I don't beleive you have a legal right to do that..

For the record had my account been locked I'd not have been able to make the push..
Enjoy the Icann reporting

Last edited:
•••
UD said:
or it was rather until the user who got the push just informed me you stole them right from his account which you are NOT allowed to do..

Wow... I think my point is proven..

They were in his name and all and you hand picked them right from his account which means you now stole another user's domains.

I don't beleive you have a legal right to do that..

For the record had my account been locked I'd not have been able to make the push..
Enjoy the Icann reporting

"UD: i donated my domains before they stole them
UD: lmao"

The above was taken from the live chat here at NamePros(along with other unmentionable namecalling between you and your cronies), we have screenshots of the entire conversation. It really does show your character and your true colors as to this whole situation no matter how sanctimonious you try to sound in this thread.

This is obviously a game for you and an attempt to denigrate our reputation. I'm sure most people will see right through you.

•••
if you note these were the names pushed.. all except thefts.us

http://www.urbandata.com/domains.gif

If the account had been locked prior to the push of the first bunch (all except thefts.us)

I'd have gotten this prior to the push http://www.urbandata.com/last.gif

showing you are a liar and the domains were already pushed and you locked the account after all were pushed into his name.. except thefts.us.. you locked it just prior to thefts.us being pushed.

You can stop lying now.

The above was taken from the live chat here at NamePros(along with other unmentionable namecalling between you and your cronies),

wow.. cronies?

•••
-db- said:
A .US domain registered by hand a week ago, with a $50,000 pending sale?

This would be the largest .US sale ever, if it happened, as was 'reported'.

(The exact amount of the Business.us sale was not reported, though it's thought to be $50K+)

I'll call BS on this one.. There is no way that <snip>.us is worth ANYWHERE NEAR 50K.. It might be worth 1500.00 of fees that it would cost them to file against you...

I'd much rather have a solid <snip>.com typo then the .US that will generate no traffic.

Just sayin

Last edited by a moderator:
•••
Husky you don't know anything about the transaction.. and your comments aren't really required on the matter :)

Point is there was a sale.. and .. well ... I'll let other people make thier own mind up

•••
Good Luck

UD -

I really hope you get the domain back. I can just imagine your
angst. Pray my friend -seriously

Good Luck

•••
UD said:
Husky you don't know anything about the transaction.. and your comments aren't really required on the matter :)

Point is there was a sale.. and .. well ... I'll let other people make thier own mind up

My "comments" may not be required on the matter, however I feel the need to take a stand for NameCheap.. They've gone OUT OF THEIR WAY to assist you with a couple domains that ANYONE in the industry could see are worthless.. If you take "<snipped>.US" to any board other than one that your chat buddies hang out at, it would be appraised at REG FEE..

If you prove me wrong and sell that name @ 50K or higher I will print this entire thread and eat the paper on a webcam for all to see on here..

•••
TY.. I guess we'll see.

Fact.. Namecheap instead of contacting me to get an immediate payment deleted my domains.. locked my account till around 2099 and then let me back in to pay 46.99 for domains that didn't even exist.

Oh and then stole all my domains.. by stealing them right from the account i had donated them to.. and out of the user's name completely.. after a push was made.

PS.. my whois info is correct.. including EMAIL and PHONE.. both of which they had.. and Thier SUPER email support system should have been able to contact me and let me know the payment wasn't right. Either way I'm out 18 or 19 domains now.

I guess according to Namecheap.. Me and My "Cronies" are wrong

Husky your appraisals mean little when dealing with end user btw.
If I get it back you may need a new ink cartridge.

Can a mod please move this to the complaint area?
It's a far better place for it.

Last edited:
•••
Dave Zan said:
Deleting a domain name paid fraudulently? Shady?
The OP's going to do actually what you said.

No, you are right, I stand corrected. I wasn't aware of the full details.

Not only this, but I find it extremely interesting that NameCheap's CEO or whomever is in here arguing with the OP is actually partaking in this conversation. This alone shows that NC is not as shady as my last post thought it was and it does care about it's reputation as a player in the industry. That shows quite a bit of effort I must say.

•••
We are all entitled to our views.. I'm entitled to be cheesed..
They're entitled to defend themselves..however stealing the paid for domains too isn't super ethical.

•••
psalzmann said:
Not only this, but I find it extremely interesting that NameCheap's CEO or whomever is in here arguing with the OP is actually partaking in this conversation. This alone shows that NC is not as shady as my last post thought it was and it does care about it's reputation as a player in the industry. That shows quite a bit of effort I must say.

FWIW - I agree. I think NameCheap have come out looking ok in this matter.

Mike

•••
I don't, IMO. Is it understandable that Namecheap would've been alarmed by the Paypal drawback? Of course. I can even see locking her account while things were resolved, after all they have to protect themselves.

But at that point the proper thing to do was to try to contact UD and clear things up, not start nuking her domains over an unpaid balance of $45. Poor, poor customer service -- when things went south they hit the delete button instead of picking up the phone (is it really that hard?). The relative values of the domains, whatever they might be, make things worse but aren't the main issue here.

Namecheap should've made an effort to contact her. I think it's good that the CEO has been here to answer questions, but I haven't seen any defense of this particular problem (maybe I missed it, I'd be happy to be corrected). Anyway, the rest of the arguing back and forth could've been avoided with one simple, basic -- in fact, rudimentary -- item of customer service.

I'll be avoiding them in the future.

ripley.

Last edited:
•••
I'm sorry to see how things have developed for Chelsie, it's just not right what happend.
NC could have at least made a phonecall to inform you on this matter.

I find it hard to believe that it all came down to the last minute like in litteraly only 60 seconds to go.
Bummer Chelsie :(

•••
NC procedure is normal practice. when fraud is notified the procedure is to lock-down and if there is unpaid monies then the customer will likely lose something. the so-called $50k domain is I am sorry to say caught in the crossfire but procedurally is a red-herring.

•••
NC's pocedure is not normal practice as a whole. While a total lock down of an account may sometimes be initiated to protect a company's interets, (just like a credit card company) normal procedure for most financial and service companies is to immediately contact the customer about the problem to also protect the customer's interests, something NameCheap didn't seem to care about. They didn't attempt to advise the customer of the actions and impending consequences; they didn't get the customer's side of the story; they didn't even notify or try to help the customer before setting in motion actions that could not be undone and would cause undo hardship on the customer. What they did was protect NameCheap and only NameCheap, without apology; the customer's welfare did not appear to be part of their concern.

As as result, what should have been a minor, routine issue has turned into a public mud-slinging spectacle...a spectacle that's not very flattering for either party, but especially unflattering for NameCheap and Richard Kirkendall.

NameCheap may have had a good reputation up till now, but I wouldn't know it by what I've read here today. In this public forum, I've seen an arrogant service company fail to provide the most essential proactive customer service and communication. I've seen a company that took the most extreme action to protect themselves from a $46.99 charge with no notice to the customer and zero regard for how their actions would affect that customer. I've seen a NameCheap officer use unflattering rhetoric and comments to try to turn the blame for their lack of communication and service back on the customer, who is a victim in this mess but is being treated like a criminal. She doesn't have to "denigrate" NameCheap's reputation, Richard; you've done it for her.

NameCheap may have looked like a good company up till now, but in this case they've really lived up to their name.

Last edited:
•••
Hey UD,

I hate to see how this situation developed in this thread, when the primary blame lies with PayPal. Talk about poor communication! I asked in post #10 if NameCheap might of received a PayPal reversal, and you had no idea.

I agree NameCheap could have communicated why they account was closed at the time it was closed, but had PayPal done their job better you would have already known, or had the chance to contact NameCheap before the account was locked. If anyone is deserving of a lawsuit it's 1) the person who sent you the fraudulent funds in the first place, or 2) PayPal for reversing other unrelated transactions, with improper notification or warning instead of simply putting your account at a negative balance and allowing you opportunity to fix the issue.

Most domain registrars would have done the exact thing NameCheap did in this situation by closing the account and deleting the newly registered domains. Fraud is a registrars worst nightmare. Selling domains is an industry with a very slim profit margin, and there's only a short 5 day window where a name can be deleted after registration.

http://www.urbandata.com/domains.gif shows the account changes were Queued, not completed yet. But there are some decent names in there. NameCheap doesn't have the ability to delete the .IN for a refund, hense the request for $21. What can be done to resolve this?

RJ

•••
Well, you're right about that, PayPal certainly shares a good bit of the blame. That doesn't absolve Namecheap, though.

It's certainly an object lesson about the usefulness of escrow services...

ripley.

•••
I'm curious how this is to be resolved yet as well..

For the record "what most registrars would do" and what they should do are two different things

A little communication on thier part would have had every domain paid for.. none lost and none of these issues.. All it took was 1 minute of thier time.

But besides that I'm curious too to what they will do to fix this?

•••
UD said:
But besides that I'm curious too to what they will do to fix this?

Maybe we can work this out. What would you like them to do?

•••
I have read this entire thread & have a few comments. Sorry if they are not in order.

1. Husky: I have only spoken to you a couple of times & you seem like an ok guy. However I'll have to disagree with you on the value situation. The reason I disagree is that the value of the names should have nothing to do with this issue. Also I don't take appraisals seriously as they are mostly based on opinion. Everyone has one so who is to say one's opinion is superior to the other.

2. Namecheap: I give credit for having such a high ranking authority responding to this situation personally. However I don't feel this situation was handled correctly at all. I as you, UD, & others here are business people. I understand how big of a problem fraud is & will always be for companies. I especially understand the financial risks from fraud in this industry.

My main problem was this situation could have been handled better. If just one simple form of contact via email or phone was done, this situation could have been avoided. Why should someone who has proven to be a paying customer prior just have their names deleted. I would have sent an email giving 12-24 hours for the situation to be acknowledged. If it wasn't, the names would be deleted. However to do it within a matter of minutes without even speaking with the customer is bad business.

•••
RJ thank's for being so kind as always.. I adore you daily for this.

The least they can do is give me back the domains I have paid for.
As for them not being able to return a .in .. and making it sound like a favour for allowing me to keep it. Well that's another thought ..

I'm not sure what to do. I'm still out 3 out of 4 of those domains all having exponantial value. I only managed to secure 1 out of 4 and not the one I had sold at least as of yet.

I'm still short every domain in the account now and locked out of my domains completely meaning now all the money I've given them they have basically stolen simply because they couldn't return a .in domain.

I'd like my domains. and for god's sake at least an apology and not this method of turning thier support level around on me the customer. As stated above we are business customers.. not "Cronies" and we operate as a such said business even a LTD Company. This respect should be applied to most of the people here as we all operate as a business. (Apart from the scammers) ..

I'm going to just leave it open and see how they offer to rectify as at this point with all my money and assetts gone I have no resolve.

Chelsie

•••
Who would have ever thought we'd see this much fuss for a .US name that's protected by a TM anyway??!

© 2006 <snip>.com. Terms and Conditions. All rights reserved. Information in this document is subject to change without notice. Privacy. Gaming Associates Certified

•••
I'm sure you know trademarked names and copyrighted documents are not the same.

The domain name is just a small part of this "fuss," albeit an important one since it's now been deleted. How would you feel if you woke up tomorrow to find your domain account locked, no explanation of why, several of your domains had been deleted, including one you were in the middle of selling (even if for only $100), and all because of something not your fault...oh yeah, and the company that locked you out didn't answer their phones or e-mail. Wouldn't that be a big deal to you?

Last edited:
•••
Husky If It's TM it was applied after.. Also for the last time quit posting the name .

•••
I use NameCheap and like them. However I will say...Over a couple of years I have made 4 attemps to contact customer support via email. This was just simple questions nothing critical. I have NEVER, EVER received a reply to ANY email I have sent them. And my email does work with them as I do receive receipts for purchases/renewal/transfers.....I guess it begs the question....what can I expect when/if truly critical situation should occur...I can only hope this is not what I can expect.....I will follow this with interest...

The value of the name may add emphasis to the situation but the crux is still how the customer was handled throughout......not very flattering fo NC...

•••
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back