Dynadot

My father has a patent, and the product's domain name....

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

axilant

Account Closed
Impact
Is taken. And this domain name is for sale. And the person gave me a price of mid $xx,xxx!!!! Is there anyway i can get this domain name without having to pay that much money?

cody

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Negotiate for a lower price, perhaps?!? :talk:

I know nothing of the patent, trademark, or potential rights that your father enjoys (or does not have) in the term (and domain name) ... but DEPENDING, he may wish to seek competent legal cousel on whether or not to file any UDRP, etc. Whether he wins or not is ENTIRELY another matter ... but perhaps just speak with someone about the current, specific situation here, IMHO.
Search www.uspto.gov for both patent and trademark information, as well! :gl:

:wave:

•••
whats the domain? a good chance one of us owns it lol

•••
LeeRyder said:
whats the domain? a good chance one of us owns it lol

its a domain name company.... and i dont want to say the name rorry

•••
best bet is to consult a lawyer. Though since you say he has the patent for the product, didnt mention holding a copyright for a the name of the product, so might not be able to work that one out. But again check with a lawyer.

Regards
Brian

•••
lol, your father has patented something he calls..as an example: Enom

your dad's thing does this or that and he wants to market it
unfortunately, the name of the item is already registered and run by a domain registration service called.. Enom.com (again, an example) and he wants to pay less?

I think this is what your telling us right?

well, sounds like he should rename his product to be honest... or pay the price or negotiate.

•••
Owning a patent, which has to do with an invention, does not give you automatinc and exclusive rights to a domain name that relates to the invention unless it is a very unique and brandable name or you can prove that you have used it in commerce before the domain name was registered to claim common law rights to the name. Moreover if the domain is a generic word(s) and used commonly, it would be diffuclt to get a favorable decision before wipo or udrp, including in legal proceedings.

•••
oh

i thought this was leading into a joke
"my father has a patent" LOL :kickass:

•••
axilant said:
Is taken. And this domain name is for sale. And the person gave me a price of mid $xx,xxx!!!! Is there anyway i can get this domain name without having to pay that much money?

This is one myth that needs to be busted: no single person or entity has full
absolute exclusive rights to a domain name simply because they secured legal
protection in one way or another.

A domain name does not grant legal rights to anyone except to the registrant
and if that registrant consistently pays for it.

If you want it, negotiate for it. If it fails, use legal options.

Otherwise, give it up and move on.

•••
Though since you say he has the patent for the product, didnt mention holding a copyright

Oy...

A patent grants a right to exclude others from making, using, selling, importing, or offering to sell an invention as defined by the claims of the patent - a set of numbered formal statements at the end of the patent (unless we are talking about a design patent, which protects the ornamental design of a useful object). Considering the fact that under the Manual of Patent Examining Procedure section 608.1(v) the description of the invention in terms of trademarks is discouraged (http://www.uspto.gov/web/offices/pac/mpep/documents/0600_608_01_v.htm), since the point of the patent specification is to describe the invention in concise terms understable to one of ordinary skill in the pertinent art, then what having a patent would have to do with legal rights in a referent term is something of a mystery here.

Copyright confers an exlusive right to make copies or derivative works of an original work of authorship. Copyright protection is not provided to single words, slogans, and short terms used as...

TRADEMARKS - that's what you'd be looking for here. A trademark is a symbol, word, or device which, when applied to goods and services in commerce, provides a distinctive indicator of the source or origin of the goods or services, in order to differentiate those goods or services from other goods or services of that type in the marketplace. With the exception of famous marks and certain inherently distinctive, fanciful terms, whether a trademark is infringed depends on the likelihood of confusion of a relevant consumer. In the context of cybersquatting, the issue is whether a domain name was registered out of a bad faith intent to exploit the value of a trademark belonging to another.

So, what is it that you believe your father has here, and what is it that the domain name registrant is doing?

•••
Does your mother has a patent too ?

Does your mother have a patent too ?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back