Silentptnr

Domains88.comTop Member
Impact

Attachments

• all_domains.csv
    8.6 MB · Views: 274
Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
All the names with prices mentioned in the excel sheet account for $2,706,903,072!

Still wondering about the value of remaining domains marked with a "Request Price" option.

•••
•••
300,000 x $9 = $2,700,00

so you need, in one year like,

27 sales for 100k or

54 sales for $50k or

90 sales for $30K or

135 sales for almost $20k or

270 saled for $10K ..

just to pay for all domains.

I think it's unsustainable

I think 270 saled for $10K is reasonable with good name.

•••
I was thinking about this last night. There’s just no way this guy is making money with all those names. Obviously most are not selling

https://www.namepros.com/threads/wh...en-a-good-domain-name-and-a-bad-name.1057047/

and with an annual nut of about $2.4M just to break even - I don’t notice his reporting sales in excess of that each year.

For example, there are inventors who hold dozens of unlicensed patents. They might value these patents in the millions but without revenue all they’re doing is losing money on patent maintenance fees, not to mention cost of development or acquisition.

•••
I was thinking about this last night. There’s just no way this guy is making money with all those names. Obviously most are not selling

https://www.namepros.com/threads/wh...en-a-good-domain-name-and-a-bad-name.1057047/

and with an annual nut of about $2.4M just to break even - I don’t notice his reporting sales in excess of that each year.

For example, there are inventors who hold dozens of unlicensed patents. They might value these patents in the millions but without revenue all they’re doing is losing money on patent maintenance fees, not to mention cost of development or acquisition.

I don't know either, but I suppose he is making money.
Before he had 250,000 domains, he had let's say 100.000 , and before that maybe 20,000 domains. He was making money with less domains and decided to expand, that's the only thing that makes sense.

•••
We just assume that these guys with tens or hundreds of thousands of domains make money. The numbers don’t lie and his (Mike Mann’s) reported sales (this type of seller will not avoid the chance to report a sale) are lower than his maintenance fees would be.

Even at 100k domains he’d need to sell about $800k a year just to break even.

This guy who sold hatred.com ( uglydork ) for $133k or $150k or whatever it was - he just posted his entire ”premium” portfolio for sale here at namepros. “Massive Fire Sale” - did you look at it? There’s no way he’s making money off such a portfolio which must be why he’s dumping.

Last edited:
•••
I think he's selling 0,6% per year,. that would be 1500 domains. Avg price I think is $3,200. That would mean 4,800,000 revenue, well above renewal and acquisition costs. Btw he doesn't report ALL sales. Only the big ones.

•••
You may go ahead and think that, but looking at the average quality of his names I doubt it.

I believe my portfolio is average better than his, and I'm selling about 2% of my names this year, looks like average price for me is just over $3000. based on a straight mean average calculation. This is based on 2017 for me, which was a slow year for me. I don't see him averaging $3000. with the garbage he has.

Also, while I turn down $1000. offers constantly
https://www.namepros.com/threads/if...meone-offered-me-a-1000-for-a-domain.1055040/
I assume Mann is even more rigid about turning down low offers, so I doubt he can sell that much. Maybe now he's about to have a Massive Fire Sale of his own, like uglydork.

Last edited:
•••
I'm sure a lot of people have better domain quality on average than MM.

•••
Why are we still discussing it? He is making money! Thats a fact. I mean this guy started buydomains.com.

•••
We're talking about this portfolio and whether it could be profitable year on end. Based on a review of the names in it, I say no.

He claims to have grossed $233K in March 2017, and declares it his "best month ever":
https://onlinedomain.com/2017/04/11...month-ever-propertyphotos-com-ukcannabis-com/
Mike Mann said: “I've been selling domains for 20 years. This is the best month yet.”

so, if he says that $200K in a month is his Best Month Ever, so far above the other months that he felt the need to crow about it, how is he bringing in the approx. $2.4M yearly (300K names @ 8.) just to break even?

Without even knowing the numbers, which prove what I've been saying, simply by LOOKING at his domains I knew they could not be profitable. And now even MM's own numbers prove it.

He is making money! Thats a fact.

This is the kind of wrong thinking that must be smashed, buying the hype and assuming something without any sort of deep thought or investigation.

If I believed without my own thinking or investigation every time someone posts "That's a fact" on the internet I'd be wasting my life selling ice to Eskimos.

Last edited:
•••
•••
Why are we still discussing it? He is making money! Thats a fact.

Person A does $750,000 in sales for 2017. Person B does $35,000 in sales.

Persona A had a great year didn't they? Well, that is until I tell you that Person A spent $1,000,000. Person B spent only $10,000.

Who had the better year?

•••
We're talking about this portfolio and whether it could be profitable year on end. Based on a review of the names in it, I say no.

He claims to have grossed $233K in March 2017, and declares it his "best month ever":
https://onlinedomain.com/2017/04/11...month-ever-propertyphotos-com-ukcannabis-com/
Mike Mann said: “I've been selling domains for 20 years. This is the best month yet.”

so, if he says that $200K in a month is his Best Month Ever, so far above the other months that he felt the need to crow about it, how is he bringing in the approx. $2.4M yearly (300K names @ 8.) just to break even?

Without even knowing the numbers, which prove what I've been saying, simply by LOOKING at his domains I knew they could not be profitable. And now even MM's own numbers prove it.

This is the kind of wrong thinking that must be smashed, buying the hype and assuming something without any sort of deep thought or investigation.

If I believed without my own thinking or investigation every time someone posts "That's a fact" on the internet I'd be wasting my life selling ice to Eskimos.

If you pay attention, it says in the same article "He probably sold more domains as he is not reporting all his sales.".

The article claims he reported 27 names sold for that amount with average of $8K+, while his true average is around $3K-4K. So if chose not to disclose let's say 100 names sold at $2000-3000 range, that would still be another $250K.

•••
If you’re desperate to convince yourself of something that flies against common sense and a person’s own statements then nothing anyone may say matters, so it’s useless to discuss this further with you, but when someone says that it was his best month in 20 years you may bet that he added up every penny to bolster his claim and make it look good. I’m not saying that you’re arguing this for no reason but still it’s pretty obvious to any domainer looking at that portfolio that most or at least a lot of the names couldn’t be moving.

I don’t have any interest in this one way or another but it was clear to me examining the low quality of most of his names that he couldn’t be turning a profit over all on such a portfolio.

Last edited:
•••
I understand that you have trouble understanding what is inferred in a text, but please do try and stay classy. No need to be rude.

•••

Person A does $750,000 in sales for 2017. Person B does $35,000 in sales.

Persona A had a great year didn't they? Well, that is until I tell you that Person A spent $1,000,000. Person B spent only $10,000.

Who had the better year?

Person B did better, I have a College degree that I worked on for almost 17 years.
But how is it connected to Mike Mann and how much he is making?
And do you have a college degree?

•••

basically he reports only the best sales not all sales so one can not conclude he makes $2xx,xxx a month and just breaks even, we do not know his revenue except that it is more than what he reports in sales.

if it is not profitable why is he doing it?

Last edited:
•••
We just assume that these guys with tens or hundreds of thousands of domains make money. The numbers don’t lie and his (Mike Mann’s) reported sales (this type of seller will not avoid the chance to report a sale)

It doesn't matter who you are, nobody refuses to sign a NDA if it means closing a sale. Perhaps you aren't factoring that in, there will be sales that he is literally contractually obliged not to report.

Although I don't really understand why he doesn't halve his portfolio size, he'd then have the best part of $1.5m a year to spend on 15 x $100,000 domains or 30 x $50,000 domains, which at wholesale could become $500,000 or $1,000,000 sales down the line!

I think he's addicted to registering, or is reliant on algorithms?

•••
I don’t have any interest in this one way or another but it was clear to me examining the low quality of most of his names that he couldn’t be turning a profit over all on such a portfolio.

In 2012 he was reporting $400k a month revenue, which with mostly hand regs is enough to support a portfolio of 300k domains with about $100k a month profit.

And if he has a poor year and makes a loss, then he can simply write off that loss against future tax bills... so can't even look at it on an annualized basis, if you are cash rich and can survive without short term profit then you could easily take a 5, 7 , 10 year long view, and average your profits over the duration. Its exactly what Jeff Bezos does at Amazon.... make no money for 4 years, then BOOM a huge profit in year 5.

•••
In 2012 he was reporting $400k a month revenue, which with mostly hand regs is enough to support a portfolio of 300k domains with about $100k a month profit.

This number sounds about right. I have seen a portfiolio of 30000 domains brings in about $40k in month. Give or take some. Not a super portfolio, but rather avarage+ one.

Mike Mann is making profit. Question is how much

Last edited:
•••
Source?

Of course if this were true then why would he claim that his $200k revenue month of March 2017, was his best ever.

Last edited:
•••
Source?

Of course if this were true then why would he claim that his $300k revenue month of March 2017, was his best ever.

Because he can only report sales which don't have an NDA, it really is that simple. Every month he reports his sales. Every month he omits any sales which have an NDA attached, and that will be a substantial amount.

The idea that Mike Mann would spend 10 years making a seven figure loss every year just for fun is a bit insulating I think, don't you? You are talking about a man who has previously sold an entire portfolio for $80m, he isn't some mug who is wasting daddy's money.

Last edited:
•••
Source?

The article I quoted quotes him as saying that March 2017 @ $200k revenue was his best ever. If you have something to say on the subject please quote your source otherwise it just becomes more talk or rather - tales - signifying nothing.

Last edited:
•••
Source?

The article I quoted quotes him as saying that March 2017 @ $300k revenue was his best ever. If you have something to say on the subject please quote your source otherwise it just becomes more talk signifying nothing.

He didn't explicitly state that it was his best month by total revenue received. It read more to me like 5 x 5 figures sales was a first, led him to declare it to be his best month ever. He doesn't implicitly state anything like "$300k is the most I've ever made in a month".

But lets assume that you are correct, and that for 10 years he has been spending $2.5m a year maintaining a portfolio which generates a loss of about $1m a year.... (I doubt it, but lets do it that way for arguments sake)....

... why does it matter to you? Its his money isn't it? And perhaps you have a poor understanding of business in general. A business can generate a loss on the balance sheet whilst being worth a lot of money on paper. What if Mike Mann ran his domain portfolio at a $1m per year loss, for 15 years, but then sold all domain assets for $50m? He'd be making a $35m profit then wouldn't he?

Twitter has never made a profit. That doesn't mean that twitter is worth $0, it has a market cap of $18bn.

Domains are an asset class. So perhaps Mike Mann could generate a greater profit if he priced his domains more reasonably and generated cash flow, but then he'd be losing assets (domains). It actually makes more sense for somebody who is cash rich and doesn't need to draw on the business to concentrate on book value / asset value, especially if he wants to 'exit' again.

He could 'turn on' the sales by pricing competitively to generate a black line at the bottom of his P&L, and sell a year later. He doesn't have shareholders who expect dividends each year, and he doesn't need the salary, so this is why I question whether you understand business. You seem to think he should be liquidating assets faster and drawing profit out of the business annually, but he has already demonstrated once to the world that the money is to be made in selling the assets in one go.

Perhaps he is doing exactly what he did last time, and that worked out pretty well for him. You have your way of doing things, but you haven't sold a domain portfolio for $80m have you... when BuyDomains was sold, they weren't purchasing based on 10 years of P&L, they were purchasing on what they thought the value of its assets were.

There is a 2012 article on thedomains.com which reported a YTD revenue of $526k (for first two months) from 659 domain sales in two months. So $526k x 6 = $3.156m.

He had around 300k domains at the time, for renewal fees of around $2.5m. So that would be a slim profit based on those types of numbers. If you can call circa-$600k 'slim'.

https://www.thedomains.com/2012/03/...ls-almost-300000-in-domain-names-in-february/

What you are also not considering in this equation is that footer links on his website pages which lead to SEO.com and Phone.com..... how much do you think two banner ads at the bottom of 300,000 different domains is worth? Probably easily enough to justify the type of losses you are talking about.... I wonder how much business that generates for those two other businesses of his?

Perhaps you are missing the picture there. What if his domain portfolio costs him $1m a year, but drives $10m worth of business to phone.com?

Nothing is ever black and white, but I think we can all be pretty certain that Mike Mann is too shrewd to have spent 10 years setting fire to his money, you aren't thinking outside of the box enough. He's probably a genius....

..... may lose $1m a year on his domain portfolio (may), but it could be the cheapest form of advertising he could find for the SEO and Phone niche (go and look at the cost of acquisition via adwords for those niches!).

If a domain costs $9 to renew, but each drives an average of 3 clicks to seo.com or phone.com.... it has paid for itself in customer acquisition value alone compared with cost of acquiring that same customer from adsense or linkedin.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back