Silentptnr

Domains88.comTop Member
Impact

Attachments

• all_domains.csv
    8.6 MB · Views: 271
Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
There's a new army forming in society.

They are the data scientists. There are loads of them leaving college with a truckload of letters and even more formulas.

I chatted to one of them last week, and he showed me the stuff they do. They simply plot all the data and then draw lines that result in the best optimal solution.

For large portfolio holders like Mike and DropCatch etc., I wonder what this data science could do? Could it tell them what to keep and what to drop, based on the existing sales data?

One problem is you are eliminating the "human eye". The data may lead to some wrong names been dropped. ThrillOfTheGrill.com - a massive sale by Mike - for example, might of been dropped.
What the fucking hell is ThrillofTheGrill LOL? If I reggae that I'd be called a huge noob by everyone on NP, including noobs.

•••
What the f*cking hell is ThrillofTheGrill LOL? If I reggae that I'd be called a huge noob by everyone on NP, including noobs.

Perhaps!

But it sold for $30,000.

•••
What the f*cking hell is ThrillofTheGrill
People in North America love things that rhyme, and they love to grill. Grilling is putting something on the BBQ, like a juicy steak. For many it's quite a thrill. Hence a perfect name to catch the eye of the masses.

But yeah, hindsight is 20/20.

•••
Looking at that list reminds me of a well known strategy hedge funds practice. For example in 2010 a hedge fund bought all of Europe's cocoa worth a billion dollar, enough to move the entire global cocoa market. They created a shortage that stirred up prices. Perhaps this guy hoped the same would happen to the domainindustry but his plans were ruined due to the hundreds of new extensions.

I very much doubt it. 300,000 domains is nowhere near enough to create a domain shortage :-/. He probably owns 0.001% of .coms in existence and the fact that most of those are domains that nobody wants I really don’t think that would even create a minuscule ripple in the market. If he owned a large number of 2L .coms or 2L .nets then yes as these are very sought after and rare. Plus there are only a maximum 676 2L domains per extension available and most are taken.

P.s. I’m selling UY.net if anyone is interested :-D

Last edited:
•••
Most of the big 3 word domains can be used for marketing purpose from the buyer. A typical big company marketing blitz can cost upwards of $10 Million just to produce so $30,000 on the domain name for that marketing purpose is a drop in the bucket. Hence to them no big deal spending money on a corny domain name to us but fits the purpose of the campaign perfect!

•••
It seems many top domainers aren't that much better at domaining than the average domainer. The difference is, they got in early and was able to obtain 10-20 premium domains which brought in most of their fortune. 99% of his domains will never sell unless he's able to pawn them off on some unsuspecting domainer who thinks if Michael Mann owns it, it must be good.

•••
It seems many top domainers aren't that much better at domaining than the average domainer. The difference is, they got in early and was able to obtain 10-20 premium domains which brought in most of their fortune. 99% of his domains will never sell unless he's able to pawn them off on some unsuspecting domainer who thinks if Michael Mann owns it, it must be good.

A very ignorant comment. Mike strategy is not selling to domainers. He is buying domains that other domainers believe to be worthless. Mike did get in early but started from scratch again after selling Buydomains. If he is making money it is due to experience, skill and hard work not because of being early in the game.

People who do not understand his strategy believe he is just lucky or lying or he must have an unfair advantage, this is not the case.

He is picking names that may not look great but have a good chance of selling for some reasons that not so obvious. People look at the name and think they know the full story, then they get confused if the name sells for a lot of money.

Also I doubt that the top domainers are not better than the average guy that is the view of people who are lazy and could not make any money domaining so the come up with excuses why another guy is doing better than they are.

Schlling is selling .nets for 6 figures while everyone else declared it dead. There is more than luck and money involved.

Last edited:
•••
A very ignorant comment. Mike strategy is not selling to domainers. He is buying domains that other domainers believe to be worthless. Mike did get in early but started from scratch again after selling Buydomains.
Despite he is experienced and pro on domaining IMO I think henplays the rol of math estadistics. The more I buy the more chances I get to have a sale or offers. I checked his domains and some are premium and rare but also a huge list of junk, that kind of junk you will never expect will get sold, there is where the offers go, a premium or rare don’t need nothing to get sold, the junk is just:
  1. Reg./handreg.
  2. Update to aftermarket
  3. Lye down and wait the offers
  4. Have a coffe/tea.

•••
Despite he is experienced and pro on domaining IMO I think henplays the rol of math estadistics. The more I buy the more chances I get to have a sale or offers. I checked his domains and some are premium and rare but also a huge list of junk, that kind of junk you will never expect will get sold, there is where the offers go, a premium or rare don’t need nothing to get sold, the junk is just:
  1. Reg./handreg.
  2. Update to aftermarket
  3. Lye down and wait the offers
  4. Have a coffe/tea.

Yes it is definitely a numbers game. The portfolio turnover is low and most names will never sell but this is true for many large portfolio holders.

•••
I very much doubt it. 300,000 domains is nowhere near enough to create a domain shortage :-/. He probably owns 0.001% of .coms in existence and the fact that most of those are domains that nobody wants I really don’t think that would even create a minuscule ripple in the market. If he owned a large number of 2L .coms or 2L .nets then yes as these are very sought after and rare. Plus there are only a maximum 676 2L domains per extension available and most are taken.

P.s. I’m selling UY.net if anyone is interested :-D

We can say that all domains that ever could exist already exist, since every word and every possible permutation of all the words of the English language, foreign language and complete gibberish (assortments of random characters) within a certain character limit are available.

By this he owns virtually nothing lol.

Last edited:
•••
The more I buy the more chances I get to have a sale or offers.
It is dangerous to think that this is just a numbers game.
Many newcomers have the lottery mentality, they think that with a big portfolio they will increase the odds of a sale. This will mostly increase their registrar bills.
You'll make a few more sales probably due to sheer luck, but if the overall quality is poor the sales ratio will remain low and you will pay more in renewal fees, thank you make in domain sales.
That's why the majority of domainers are losing money. It's not that they are not making sales, they are not being profitable.
MM or Schilling have critical mass and their strategies are not representative of the typical domainer, but to think it's just a numbers game would be a mistake.

•••
I cant imagine dealing with 300k domains. Far too big a bet with far too much cash committed for me. Huge business.

He should build his brand and sell as a company.
Now i have like 200 domains, and the other days I found turbocredito.com was register,
and I think,.. nice domain.. when I check the whois, the domain it's mine. hahhha

Now imagine, how would it be 300k

•••
It is dangerous to think that this is just a numbers game.
Many newcomers have the lottery mentality, they think that with a big portfolio they will increase the odds of a sale. This will mostly increase their registrar bills.
You'll make a few more sales probably due to sheer luck, but if the overall quality is poor the sales ratio will remain low and you will pay more in renewal fees, thank you make in domain sales.
That's why the majority of domainers are losing money. It's not that they are not making sales, they are not being profitable.
MM or Schilling have critical mass and their strategies are not representative of the typical domainer, but to think it's just a numbers game would be a mistake.

300,000 x $9 = $2,700,00

so you need, in one year like,

27 sales for 100k or

54 sales for $50k or

90 sales for $30K or

135 sales for almost $20k or

270 saled for $10K ..

just to pay for all domains.

I think it's unsustainable

Last edited:
•••
I apologize if this was already mentioned as I did not read all of the posts in this thread. But the names with a fixed price all end with 888 (which are lucky numbers for some). However, if he just changed that to 999 he would make an extra $111 per domain name. $111 x 300K names would be an extra $33 Million or enough to fund his annual renewals for 10+ years. Just saying...

You are assuming that domains have zero price elasticity. Otherwise, you'd have to assume decline in % that may or may not result in higher revenue.

Overall, though, 9 has proven to be more magical than any other number, Chinese luck belief or not...

•••
300,000 x $9 = $2,700,00

so you need, in one year like,

27 sales for 100k or

54 sales for $50k or

90 sales for $30K or

135 sales for almost $20k or

270 saled for $10K ..

just to pay for all domains.

I think it's unsustainable

How about this:

5 sales at 100K, 10 sales at 50K, 20 sales at 25K, 100 sales at 10K and 300 sales at 2K.

That would add up to $3.1MM and suddenly doesn't sound that unrealistic. 435 names out of 300 000, That is around 0.15% sell-through needed.

•••
This always come up. I've done the math many times, based on his posts on FB, tweets etc over the years:

https://www.namepros.com/blog/mike-...industrialheat-com.864978/page-2#post-4908636

or this one

https://www.namepros.com/threads/mi...s-best-month-ever.1011941/page-3#post-6095635

This is how the math could work:

"Think of it like this, ballpark. Say you have around 300,000 domains x $8 renewal = 2.4 million a year renewal.

Say you sell about $20,000 a day, that's 7.3 million a year. That gives you almost 5 million for regs, Aftermarket etc."

That $20,000 a day is actually easy to do with that amount of regs.

Last edited:
•••
I would wonder if they are all on auto renew. I can't imagine manually managing the renewals of 300k domains. If they are on auto renew, there may be some names that he would drop but they already renewed!

•••
I just know when I get annoyed at having to update spreadsheets, parking etc....I look at this thread and realize it's not that bad. :)

•••
With that many, I would set my best, the obvious ones on auto-renew. Then you would just need to look over all those iffy ones each day, or maybe once a week/month etc. That's like over 800 a day to go thru.

Last edited:
•••
He probably has many more than these 300k. He probably has many that are developed websites making lots of cash.

•••
And by the way, for as hard a time as I give GoDaddy sometimes, I do realize that they have like 70,000,000 domains under their management. I guess they are not bad considering that.

•••
And by the way, for as hard a time as I give GoDaddy sometimes, I do realize that they have like 70,000,000 domains under their management. I guess they are not bad considering that.
Agreed. Just try to imagine that number coupled with managed resources like DNS, email services, servers for a fair number of those. Managing all that is not an easy task to be sure. I manage around about 13,000,000 business records in my primary business and that keeps me up at night for a variety of reasons.

•••
Agreed. Just try to imagine that number coupled with managed resources like DNS, email services, servers for a fair number of those. Managing all that is not an easy task to be sure. I manage around about 13,000,000 business records in my primary business and that keeps me up at night for a variety of reasons.
Yes, it's crazy amounts of information to manage.

•••
I bet u that Mike Mann took advantage of those sweet unlimited $1.99 dotster transfers.

I'm sure it would drive anyone crazy, but if there's ever an unlimited $1.99 transfer, Mike Mann would be on that shit like a hungry lion. Then he would probably hire someone to go crazy doing all the auth code / transfer work. My gawd that's a nightmare within a nightmare. "push to get auth code..." "push to get auth code..." "push to get auth code..." "check email" "Input into new registrar" "repeat 300,000 times or more" DOES IT END? DOES IT END? HELP ME!!!

#WhenYouSpendOnly$600,000onRenewalsInsteadof$2.4Million

•••
I bet u that Mike Mann took advantage of those sweet unlimited $1.99 dotster transfers.

I'm sure it would drive anyone crazy, but if there's ever an unlimited $1.99 transfer, Mike Mann would be on that sh*t like a hungry lion. Then he would probably hire someone to go crazy doing all the auth code / transfer work. My gawd that's a nightmare within a nightmare. "push to get auth code..." "push to get auth code..." "push to get auth code..." "check email" "Input into new registrar" "repeat 300,000 times or more" DOES IT END? DOES IT END? HELP ME!!!

#WhenYouSpendOnly$600,000onRenewalsInsteadof$2.4Million
Lol...crazy.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back