Silentptnr

Domains88.comTop Member
Impact

Attachments

• all_domains.csv
    8.6 MB · Views: 275
Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
By looking at his prices and comparing similar names with my portfolio I could say that I have few millions in domains yepeeeeeeeeee :xf.rolleyes:

•••
Sorry all the angry people, for no reason.
For my views check out what I wrote on the landing pages at www.APerfectLanding.com scroll and on my site AccurateAppraisals.com , also Google "Mike Mann GTLDs."
Also see MikeMann.com/2017
T Y
Oh and my free book, no ads www.MakeMillions.com
These documents and links therein should explain a huge amount of valuable ideas for domaining and running business overall.

•••
With so many domains he should be running his own registrar.

•••
Any sales? How about CryptoWorld.com for $195,000? Purchased for $15. The reason I say what I say is because it's true, I would confuse myself and others if I made up stupid stuff, sometimes truth hurts people who can't compete.

•••
My gosh he has some rubbish names in that list.

I expect better.

•••
Thats a lot of domains. Found a few i dropped. :)

•••
Even I, with 700 domains, sometimes wonder if i can sell ALL of my domains. He must wonder how the H*ll will i sell all these 300,000.

Maybe he wants GD to look at his portfolio?

•••
@Mike Mann

Now that's awesome! Some people think that the top players in the industry don't ever come around. Well, you proved them wrong! Thanks for contributing!

Best of luck in 2018. You'll move more names than ever I'm sure!

•••
His model is not sustainable long term in this environment. Move to crypto Mike.

why is it not sustainable? A lot of people think he is crazy for buying tons of crappy names but they do not understand his strategy IMO. it has nothing to do with luck.

he buys a lot of names that most domainers would consider to be worthless junk. In reality he buys cr*p that is diamonds to another person, a domain with hidden value. Domainers just look at the domain and think they understand it, they do not know the story behind it. hint: Mike buys names that can be upgrades to existing domain names for example. It could be blueflyingcar.com, while someone else built on myblueflyingcar.com

Domainers will just see that he sold blueflyingcar.com for 20k and think he is just lucky or making it up and most be losing money for holding these type of names. He just knows what people buy and buys a name when he can get it for close to regfee. That is why it appears he is holding 300k junk names while in reality every name he buys is selected according the probability of selling to someone for a certain price.

he knows the game and buys what others overlook. it might not be the most elegant strategy but i do not think he would be doing it if he were not making money with it.

study the names he holds and sells and you will see luck has nothing to do with it.

Last edited:
•••
Here are some calculations based on a lot of assumptions but interesting nonetheless (just estimates):

- assuming the average price paid for a domain is $50, his portfolio has cost him $15M
- assuming a renewal fee of $9 for each domain and that the domains need renewing every year, his annual cost of holding the domains is: $2.8M
- assuming he sell 0.5% of his domains every year at an average price of $5,000 (the average price of all of his domains is around $15K but assuming that he sells more of the lower value ones than the higher value ones I have divided this by 3), his turnover every year from these domains is: $7.5M

If we look at the final figure, we can say he is making around $3.5M a year from these domains. Let's cut this figure by 2 to account for any other costs he may have ie. staff, marketing, champagne bottles etc. that's still a cool $1.25M in profit every year.

I think these calculations are quite modest and the real profit may be a lot higher. If you're around Mike ma Mann then feel free to comment on this :xf.wink:

•••
Source?

The article I quoted quotes him as saying that March 2017 @ $300k revenue was his best ever. If you have something to say on the subject please quote your source otherwise it just becomes more talk signifying nothing.

He didn't explicitly state that it was his best month by total revenue received. It read more to me like 5 x 5 figures sales was a first, led him to declare it to be his best month ever. He doesn't implicitly state anything like "$300k is the most I've ever made in a month".

But lets assume that you are correct, and that for 10 years he has been spending $2.5m a year maintaining a portfolio which generates a loss of about $1m a year.... (I doubt it, but lets do it that way for arguments sake)....

... why does it matter to you? Its his money isn't it? And perhaps you have a poor understanding of business in general. A business can generate a loss on the balance sheet whilst being worth a lot of money on paper. What if Mike Mann ran his domain portfolio at a $1m per year loss, for 15 years, but then sold all domain assets for $50m? He'd be making a $35m profit then wouldn't he?

Twitter has never made a profit. That doesn't mean that twitter is worth $0, it has a market cap of $18bn.

Domains are an asset class. So perhaps Mike Mann could generate a greater profit if he priced his domains more reasonably and generated cash flow, but then he'd be losing assets (domains). It actually makes more sense for somebody who is cash rich and doesn't need to draw on the business to concentrate on book value / asset value, especially if he wants to 'exit' again.

He could 'turn on' the sales by pricing competitively to generate a black line at the bottom of his P&L, and sell a year later. He doesn't have shareholders who expect dividends each year, and he doesn't need the salary, so this is why I question whether you understand business. You seem to think he should be liquidating assets faster and drawing profit out of the business annually, but he has already demonstrated once to the world that the money is to be made in selling the assets in one go.

Perhaps he is doing exactly what he did last time, and that worked out pretty well for him. You have your way of doing things, but you haven't sold a domain portfolio for $80m have you... when BuyDomains was sold, they weren't purchasing based on 10 years of P&L, they were purchasing on what they thought the value of its assets were.

There is a 2012 article on thedomains.com which reported a YTD revenue of $526k (for first two months) from 659 domain sales in two months. So $526k x 6 = $3.156m.

He had around 300k domains at the time, for renewal fees of around $2.5m. So that would be a slim profit based on those types of numbers. If you can call circa-$600k 'slim'.

https://www.thedomains.com/2012/03/...ls-almost-300000-in-domain-names-in-february/

What you are also not considering in this equation is that footer links on his website pages which lead to SEO.com and Phone.com..... how much do you think two banner ads at the bottom of 300,000 different domains is worth? Probably easily enough to justify the type of losses you are talking about.... I wonder how much business that generates for those two other businesses of his?

Perhaps you are missing the picture there. What if his domain portfolio costs him $1m a year, but drives $10m worth of business to phone.com?

Nothing is ever black and white, but I think we can all be pretty certain that Mike Mann is too shrewd to have spent 10 years setting fire to his money, you aren't thinking outside of the box enough. He's probably a genius....

..... may lose $1m a year on his domain portfolio (may), but it could be the cheapest form of advertising he could find for the SEO and Phone niche (go and look at the cost of acquisition via adwords for those niches!).

If a domain costs $9 to renew, but each drives an average of 3 clicks to seo.com or phone.com.... it has paid for itself in customer acquisition value alone compared with cost of acquiring that same customer from adsense or linkedin.

Last edited:
•••
Last edited:
•••
he would have to sell 41 names a day for 20 years to get rid of all 300k :O

Some good ones in there but having to pay out 3m in reg fees every year would be criminal, surely he must be bringing in at least 4/5m to make it worth the while, 5 million a year at 5,000 average per sale would require 1000 sales... possible but not easy work

•••
It seems many top domainers aren't that much better at domaining than the average domainer. The difference is, they got in early and was able to obtain 10-20 premium domains which brought in most of their fortune. 99% of his domains will never sell unless he's able to pawn them off on some unsuspecting domainer who thinks if Michael Mann owns it, it must be good.

A very ignorant comment. Mike strategy is not selling to domainers. He is buying domains that other domainers believe to be worthless. Mike did get in early but started from scratch again after selling Buydomains. If he is making money it is due to experience, skill and hard work not because of being early in the game.

People who do not understand his strategy believe he is just lucky or lying or he must have an unfair advantage, this is not the case.

He is picking names that may not look great but have a good chance of selling for some reasons that not so obvious. People look at the name and think they know the full story, then they get confused if the name sells for a lot of money.

Also I doubt that the top domainers are not better than the average guy that is the view of people who are lazy and could not make any money domaining so the come up with excuses why another guy is doing better than they are.

Schlling is selling .nets for 6 figures while everyone else declared it dead. There is more than luck and money involved.

Last edited:
•••
renewing all of them every month, HODL

•••
I'm in to selling crypto domains and hoping others get rich on the other weirdness. I want to build blockchain stuff but would not invest in anything out there at the moment without a year or two of study.

•••
Wow 300,000 domains and not a single one priced under $350 :xf.eek:, Mike most definitely is the Mann!! :xf.cool:

why would anyone price theyre domain under $350 ?

•••
I wouldn't want to *have* to sell 50k each and every week to break even. That's some serious pressure in any business let alone with domain names.

He probably has long term registrations in place. He probably bought 5 or 10 years at the time of registration.

Even still, with 300,000 domain names, that's a huge nut to cover.

Funny thing is, to have 300,000 domains you just need to acquire about 820 domains a day for one year.....I could do that. :)

•••
•••
The more I buy the more chances I get to have a sale or offers.
It is dangerous to think that this is just a numbers game.
Many newcomers have the lottery mentality, they think that with a big portfolio they will increase the odds of a sale. This will mostly increase their registrar bills.
You'll make a few more sales probably due to sheer luck, but if the overall quality is poor the sales ratio will remain low and you will pay more in renewal fees, thank you make in domain sales.
That's why the majority of domainers are losing money. It's not that they are not making sales, they are not being profitable.
MM or Schilling have critical mass and their strategies are not representative of the typical domainer, but to think it's just a numbers game would be a mistake.

•••
I can only conclude that you are either the most stubborn person alive, and that's why you can't admit that you are wrong, or that you are a few brain cells short of a full brain.

That massive wall of text does nothing to counter what I've just shown you quite clearly....

Capture.PNG

He sells about 300 domains a month.

As for his portfolio, he has a lot of highly speculative long string domains but he also has a lot of genuine premium domains too.

Last edited:
•••
Oh my gad!! Mike Mann actually graced this thread with his presence!! :xf.eek:

•••
It's easy to speculate and talk trash about someone who is out-exceeding you at your own game...

I do not know @Mike Mann - but did look through his list.

Out of 300k names there are some bad ones, but I imagine if everyone multiplied their portfolio to his size - their trash would probably be proportional.

It is hard to accumulate decent domains at decent prices, and I am sure that level of difficulty only increases as the number of domains you are stockpiling exponentially increases.

I think Mike knows what he is doing better than any of you, which is why he is standing above the majority of the flock in this industry. Me, personally - I would rather learn from him than try to tear him or his business plan apart.

•••
I don't understand AccurateAppraisals.com service. If you need to pay $88 to value your domain, and you're a domainer -- it's a huge oxymoron.

The only people who would be using an appraisal domain service are people who bought domains way back in the day, and held their domains but want to sell. Or maybe if they have websites they wanted to sell after years of using the site.

But if you're a domainer or want to get into domaining, lol, lesson 101 is learning how to appraise domains. . . No domainer should buy any kind of handreg or aftermarket 3L without already having an educated appraisal. A domainer using a domain appraisal service is like a fish taking water breathing lessons.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back