Dynadot

Microsoft's iPod Killer is Officially Named ZUNE!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Microsoft Argo's Final Name: The Zune?
Our inboxes are on fire with brand new information about the new Microsoft MP3 player. We thought the player was code-named "Argo", but we now got word that the final product name that's been flying around is the "Zune"!

The pic on the right seems to be the final design, which makes the player very clean—a definite departure from Microsoft's other endeavors. You all remember the video Microsoft's own people made to illustrate their packaging shortcomings? Well, it seems like they haven't learned much, as our tipster tells us the packaging itself is pretty ugly.

More info after the jump!

Our mole also says there's no game menu to be seen on the device, putting those rumors of portable gaming from Xbox branding in possible jeopardy. More game options possibly coming in the 2nd iteration.

There's also mention of a black version of the Zune, being shown on a music video for the band CSS, and the brown version on the cover for "Band of Horses". You can display Album covers for the song you're listening to on the screen, which is "big enough" and looks "pretty good". Paul Oakenfold also has a tie-in deal.

From the looks of things, the Zune will definitely be ready for a Xmas release.

We'll have more information plus possibly the logo and/or UI Shots tomorrow. Stay tuned! – Jason Chen

Thanks Tipster!
Source: Gizmodo

Get your ZUNE domain names now. They're going fast!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
As far as I know, "Zune" is not a dictionary word, it's just a TM/brand name.

If I am right, then I have to say that I think you folks are nuts to register these domains seeing how the TM owner is Microsoft - who is not known to take TM infringement lightly.

Of course, MS might turn a blind eye in this case. Only time will tell.

Think twice before you develop and monetize those domains.

•••
EbookLover said:
As far as I know, "Zune" is not a dictionary word, it's just a TM/brand name.

If I am right, then I have to say that I think you folks are nuts to register these domains seeing how the TM owner is Microsoft - who is not known to take TM infringement lightly.

Of course, MS might turn a blind eye in this case. Only time will tell.

Think twice before you develop and monetize those domains.
It’s always a good idea to be careful. Better safe than sorry.

If these domain names are not something that interferes with Microsoft’s plans for marketing their new device, I think it’s highly unlikely that they will be of much concern to them. Most all of these domain names will likely be used to help promote the device which in the end is something those Redmond folks don’t mind at all.

Best wishes,
Kimmy

•••
All i know is that for a lawsuit to be vaild, the plaintiff has to prove an actual damage has occured. You can not be sued on what-if's or maybe's.

If you are ever served, make it a point to counter with a motion for a summary judgement.

It's not what you know, it's what you CAN prove.

Last edited:
•••
MyPGP said:
All i know is that for a lawsuit to be vaild, the plaintiff has to prove an actual damage has occured. You can not be sued on what-if's or maybe's.

It's not what they know, it's what they CAN prove.

I am afrais that the statement is misleading.
First, you can be sued for *anything*. Wether you win or lose is a different story...

Second, it is possible to sue and win on what if's by companies saying that they *could have* lost traffic, reputation, customers etc...
Unfortunately, many decisions at WIPO are actually based on the fact that certain companies support what if's scenarios and maybe scenarios.
I dont agree with it, but ignorance of the law is no excuse for its application.

•••
seeker said:
I am afrais that the statement is misleading.
First, you can be sued for *anything*. Wether you win or lose is a different story...

Second, it is possible to sue and win on what if's by companies saying that they *could have* lost traffic, reputation, customers etc...
Unfortunately, many decisions at WIPO are actually based on the fact that certain companies support what if's scenarios and maybe scenarios.
I dont agree with it, but ignorance of the law is no excuse for its application.

You have to prove a loss in order to win.

•••
well ,if my name/site help Nuze ,i think µsoft is happy...no? ,i help the microsoft business versus Ipod...

But if i forward to ipod.com or other ,it's ok i'm a cybersquater ...

•••
MyPGP said:
You have to prove a loss in order to win.

I will agree that we disagree.

all you have to do is look at WIPO.
All they have to prove is that their business has been hurt (in very broad terms) and/or that the site is misleading potential customers (which is relatively easy to prove).

•••
I have seen posted by a M$ employee on another forum that this is Indeed another Code Name.

•••
thegenius1 said:
I have seen posted by a M$ employee on another forum that this is Indeed another Code Name.

Can you point out the post or at least the forum it's on?

Last edited:
•••
seeker said:
I will agree that we disagree.

all you have to do is look at WIPO.
All they have to prove is that their business has been hurt (in very broad terms) and/or that the site is misleading potential customers (which is relatively easy to prove).

I do look at wipo, and the plaintiffs don't always win. I already know all of this stuff and I'm really not able to learn anything from you or anyone else here for that matter.

"Remember folks, the biggest mistake anyone can make is assuming that you are as stupid as they are." - Anonymous

•••
todalen said:
Can you point out the post?

Sorry but i dont want to bring this person any unwanted attention, But it has been posted and we know the guy works for M$

•••
thegenius1 said:
Sorry but i dont want to bring this person any unwanted attention, But it has been posted and we know the guy works for M$

I hate cronies!

•••
thegenius1 said:

Just PM then. Thanks.

I would like to see that. You are the only one that has spoken about this in everything that I have read.

•••
This thread reminds me of a bunch of sheep being led by the sheep dog.

There is nothing anywhere that officially says the "Ipod Killer" will be names the Zune.

I have not and will not reg. a Zune name until I see proof positive that is what it will be names. Of course by then either I will have missed out on and good Zune DN (Ohh well) or hundreds of Zune names will have been reg'd for no reason earning the registrars more money and killing the DNrs bank balances.

I was skeptical of the Wii hype when it first started and did not reg a single wii name untill I went to the Nintendo Wii website and saw that it is official.

Zune is not marketable for an electronic device IMHO. I wouldn't be surprised if this "tipster" of Kimmies is hearing bits and peices of info and is mis-interpreting things. Zune sounds more like a game to me and would be a great game name, maybe a new version of Dune which would make since why they reg'd zunelive.com. How about playzunelive.com???

Also Slaughter (Kimmy) try to be more direct with your thread titles. A title like that coming from a person of your Posting# can Easily be misinturpreted by newbies. Your post title says "Microsoft's iPod Killer is Officially Named ZUNE!" Where is it official? Can you give me a link to an "official" press release saying this is the name?. Thats what I need to spend the money(low-budget) Should be something more like "My tipster says the new ipod killer will be named ZUNE".

Newbies often will read that first line and assume it to be true. Wam - Bam and here comes the HYPE! and all the zune reg's.

Thanks,
Richard

Last edited:
•••
MyPGP said:
I do look at wipo, and the plaintiffs don't always win. I already know all of this stuff and I'm really not able to learn anything from you or anyone else here for that matter.

"Remember folks, the biggest mistake anyone can make is assuming that you are as stupid as they are." - Anonymous

I am glad you are so smart that you can not learn anything from me or anyone else here.
I look forward from learning more from you though.

"I know nothing except the fact of my ignorance."
- Socrates 469 BC - 399 BC

•••
todalen said:
Just PM then. Thanks.

I would like to see that. You are the only one that has spoken about this in everything that I have read.

Still waiting for that PM. I can assure you that I will not make the post public.

•••
seeker said:
I am glad you are so smart that you can not learn anything from me or anyone else here.
I look forward from learning more from you though.

"I know nothing except the fact of my ignorance."
- Socrates 469 BC - 399 BC

I know you're glad and I only train in person.

•••
GreenGambler said:
Also Slaughter (Kimmy) I think that you should be more responsible with your threads. You have a high # of posts, which people look up to, and should not be mis-leading newbies. Your post title says "Microsoft's iPod Killer is Officially Named ZUNE!" Where is it official???? Can you give me a link to an "OFFICIAL" press release saying this is the name?? If not than you title is a misleading lie. Should be something more like "My tipster says the new ipod killer will be named ZUNE".

Newbies often will read that first line and assume it to be true. Wam - Bam and here comes the HYPE! and all the zune reg's.

Thanks,
Richard

Did you notice the title of the article that I posted in its entirety to begin this thread?
“Microsoft Argo's Final Name: The Zune?”

Perhaps Moneycontrol.com should be cautious as well because here’s the title of what they just released 45 minutes ago: Microsoft Argo Is Officially Called Zune

Thanks,
Kimmy

•••
thegenius1 said:

It really bugs me when you post a statement like this that you believe to be credible and do not back it up.

•••
yeah, it would be nice to have everyone keep it real for a change.

•••
dont listen to thegenius1. all he does is post useless facts to help promote his own idns.

He is 13 for goodness sakes, give him a break :)

•••
todalen said:
It really bugs me when you post a statement like this that you believe to be credible and do not back it up.

PM Sent

damitssam said:
dont listen to thegenius1. all he does is post useless facts to help promote his own idns.

He is 13 for goodness sakes, give him a break :)

Save your personal attacks , you are acting 13ish

•••
people, people....
come on. a thread is not worth people attacking each other.
opinions are like ********... everyone has one...
Sam, you disapointed me with that remark.
Genius, it would help if you could back up your statement, if not, its an opinion, and it should be respected regardless of age or gender or whatever...

•••
thegenius1, I do appreciate you sending me that link. As I stated I will not make that public but I will have to say that the thread is very weak with that persons own speculation.

•••
todalen said:
thegenius1, I do appreciate you sending me that link. As I stated I will not make that public but I will have to say that the thread is very weak with that persons own speculation.

Thats fine , i mean he didnt write a whole article about it , But from everything you have read , Do you atleast acknoledge he works for M$ & he said its a Code Name ?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back